Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Ireland a Boring Country???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

There was this rough and ready looking family in front of me, the grandparents, parents and grandchildren... blah blah

Right. Great story.

So nothing really happened then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

That was sort of a disappointing story that could happen anywhere in the world!
    John_Rambo wrote: »
    Right. Great story.

So nothing really happened then.

Cheers lads, it's the sort of story that's better seen than read.

Cheers lads, it's the sort of story that's better seen than read.

I was AT LEAST expecting a fight sh1tstirrer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Like my mate who lived in new york said, in new york theres everything to fo but everyone is too busy.
    Here, theres nothing to do but everyones around to do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭rafa05

Killarney is a brilliant place to live, great mountain biking, great national park with all sorts of wildlife, walkways for rollerblading and prams/buggies. Lakes/rivers for fishing. Mountains to climb, lots of hiking, great lakes and seaviews, scenic drives, great road-biking, great food and plenty of restaurants. lots of social activities like badminton, mens clubs, IFA Macra na feirme, running clubs, cycling clubs, tag rugby....theme parks etc cost a lot of money and even if you lived next to one, you wouldn't go there every week......What exactly are you looking for?

Loads of places will have these type of activities. Ireland does not have the weather which is a big problem

• Advertisement

rafa05 wrote: »
    Loads of places will have these type of activities. Ireland does not have the weather which is a big problem

Were you in Ireland this spring and summer? Or last spring, summer and autumn?

Were you in Ireland this summer? Or last summer?

Yes?

I am in the north west of Ireland and it was a horrible summer. Sept was decent in that it did not rain. Last summer was good for Ireland. But it ain't no Spain I still would not swim in the sea as it is too cold

I still would not swim in the sea as it is too cold

I swam in Streedagh this summer. You didn't.

It was warm enough to swim in. ;)

I swam in Streedagh this summer. You didn't.

It was warm enough to swim in. ;)

OK it is bearable the odd time as in maybe a few days in the year. I surf all year(mostly Rossnowlagh, not far from Streedagh) , but still would not go into the sea in the summer without a suit as it is too cold

but still would not go into the sea in the summer without a suit as it is too cold

Wuss. There was three year old kids swimming and splashing in the sea all summer!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

If you want to go on holiday to relax Ireland is great. If you're looking for excitement if isn't great unless you're into windsurfing or some shít like that. Or just get pissed, Ireland's good for that.

Wuss. There was three year old kids swimming and splashing in the sea all summer!

Good luck to them. But I don't see any fun in going to the beach when the water is mostly cold and it is dull and raining. Which it was for a lot of the summer.

Not that I sit on my arse. I cycled 3 hours yesterday in crappy enough weather. I run,surf, cycle all year and I swim in the lake in the summer with a wetsuit. But I would enjoy it a hell of a lot more if the weather was good.

But I would enjoy it a hell of a lot more if the weather was good.

I hear ya. But the rest of your posts proves that there is lots to do in Ireland! :)

I hear ya. But the rest of your posts proves that there is lots to do in Ireland! :)

lol yeah but in my first post in which I was replying to a post about outdoor activity stuff. Is that you can do that in most countries.

You can run, cycle, swim (baring surf) in nearly ever country. Ireland is good for outdoor activities and so is nearly every other country I've ever been.

The difference being the weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Yes?

I am in the north west of Ireland and it was a horrible summer. Sept was decent in that it did not rain. Last summer was good for Ireland. But it ain't no Spain I still would not swim in the sea as it is too cold

This summer was lovely in lots of Ireland. Sucks to be you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Not that I sit on my arse. I cycled 3 hours yesterday in crappy enough weather. I run,surf, cycle all year and I swim in the lake in the summer with a wetsuit. But I would enjoy it a hell of a lot more if the weather was good.

I much prefer cycling in cool or cold weather, much less sweaty.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,888 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Depends on what the visitor wants; if you're an oap that just wants to be bussed from attraction to attraction or someone that just wants to go to the pub every night it's fine. The activity tourism sector is starting to wake up, hiking/hill walking/whale watching/surfing/fishing/diving are available although I wouldn't fancy cycling a lot of the roads around here judging by the traffic. It's still a pain getting around the more out of the way spots without a hire car, but I see there's backpacker buses doing what I presume is a circuit of the country for a few years now.

Outside of the bigger centres there's not a whole lot for teens to do...too young for pubs they're just moping around the place for the want of something better to do. Think some of the 'flagship' attractions are let-downs...usually funnelling the visitor into a gift shop with paddy tack and crystal that's been out of fashion for years. The Guinness 'tour' must the only brewery tour in the world that doesn't take in the factory floor and a lot of the heritage sites and museums, with a few exceptions, are underwhelming compared to the uk and elsewhere. Live music in the likes of Killarney is hardly the Irish trad you'd expect in a major tourist town, more a bastardised country and western for hen party participants. Very hard to find a real oul fella pub outside of Dublin that hasn't been ruined with modernisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Depends on what the visitor wants; if you're an oap that just wants to be bussed from attraction to attraction or someone that just wants to go to the pub every night it's fine. The activity tourism sector is starting to wake up, hiking/hill walking/whale watching/surfing/fishing/diving are available although I wouldn't fancy cycling a lot of the roads around here judging by the traffic. It's still a pain getting around the more out of the way spots without a hire car, but I see there's backpacker buses doing what I presume is a circuit of the country for a few years now.

Outside of the bigger centres there's not a whole lot for teens to do...too young for pubs they're just moping around the place for the want of something better to do. Think some of the 'flagship' attractions are let-downs...usually funnelling the visitor into a gift shop with paddy tack and crystal that's been out of fashion for years. The Guinness 'tour' must the only brewery tour in the world that doesn't take in the factory floor and a lot of the heritage sites and museums, with a few exceptions, are underwhelming compared to the uk and elsewhere. Live music in the likes of Killarney is hardly the Irish trad you'd expect in a major tourist town, more a bastardised country and western for hen party participants. Very hard to find a real oul fella pub outside of Dublin that hasn't been ruined with modernisation.

Nonsense. There are plenty in rural Kildare I can tell ya. I agree with the bastardisation part though lol.

lol yeah but in my first post in which I was replying to a post about outdoor activity stuff. Is that you can do that in most countries.

You can run, cycle, swim (baring surf) in nearly ever country. Ireland is good for outdoor activities and so is nearly every other country I've ever been.

The difference being the weather.

I think you're a bit spoiled up there in the NorthWest Rafa!! Try running cycling in Northern Territory, India or Abu Dhabi! You're on a treadmill in a gym.

The proximity is the key in Ireland.

You in Sligo have everything on your doorstep! Surf (some of the best in Europe, beach and reef, including internationally renowned big waves), mountain, lake, river, village, town, (and that's a decent river run through town!) you're two hours away from Dublin and all it can offer. I can make it to Rossnowlagh in three hours from Dublin, set up camp, wake up in the morning and (try to) shred! Try that in London, Paris or Berlin. I can hit Wicklow in under an hour, I can get to Cork in three hours.

I don't let the weather get in the way, I don't thing you do either, I know it would be nice to have the sun all the time, but the conditions we have makes the island what it is. We reap the benefits in our home grown industries that are respected worldwide, beef, lamb, fish and game.

I was AT LEAST expecting a fight sh1tstirrer.
    :D if you can't beat em join em :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

of course I was bored off my tits when I was a teenager growing up in rural Ireland. I lifted 15 skips of turf all by myself this summer and got burnt to bits and I had a great time. lift turf get burnt go to pub drink beer. simples.

You are Ming and I claim my Golden Briquette ! :D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I met a very well known surfer from Hawaii take on Mullaghmore. He thought our coastline was world class! There was some buzz there that day, atmosphere was electric, tv crews, photographers, tow in ski's, monster waves ramping up, world class surfers from every where in the line up. Then, on other days it's desolated, not a soul in sight.

There's nothing better than searching the South West to the North West for good secluded beaches, surf beaches, coves, snorkeling spots, meeting farmers lobstermen, fishermen, beach combing, seeing the wildlife, discovering beaches that you never knew existed.

I recently did a South East trip, it's hard to find a beach with people on them! Kilometres of stunning beaches, as far as the eye can see.

That's got more to do with you to be honest!

Of course it has more to do with me. Its my opinion. I have not been impressed by Irish beaches. As I said earlier, I don't think Ireland's a boring country, I just don't think the beaches are anything to write home about.

Also I'm not disputing there are great surf spots here. There are. But great surfspots does not necessarily equal great beaches.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Seeing as most Irish people's social lives consist of mostly drinking in pubs or sh!t clubs, and generally most other activities somehow manage to have drink included in some way, I don't think many people with the power to make a change would try investing crazy amounts for the attractions needed. Plus, if I was rich enough to open a theme park I definitely wouldn't be trying to do it here, mostly because of the weather but also because of all the disrespectful knackers it'd attract who'd probably vandalise things. Even going to the fuking cinema nowadays can be a head wrecking experience if you're unlucky enough to be going to a movie that disruptive travellers or knackers, or just degenerates in general, are also attending. Nothing beats paying to sit in a dark room to watch a movie with multiple strangers and trying to turn it into a social even by talking or being on your phone instead of being capable of sitting quiet for two hours and immersing yourself in a movie you must've wanted to watch.

Really wish there were more small, personal cinemas where you pay a subscription and get membership or something and no phones or talking is totally enforced. Headphone sockets in each seat would also be a decent alternative, similar to what's seen on planes.

Edit: Thinking about it more, this is another reason I'd be on board with the legalisation of marijuana use. Ireland's strong points are similar to Scotland's, which are great land, nature and scenery and these attract people who love nature so I honestly think if there were some shops catering to that demographic established near big tourist areas like cliffs of mother, the burden etc. it'd draw a massive crowd out in groups all looking to relax and enjoy hanging out together while taking in great scenery and herb.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Of course it has more to do with me. Its my opinion. I have not been impressed by Irish beaches. As I said earlier, I don't think Ireland's a boring country, I just don't think the beaches are anything to write home about.

Also I'm not disputing there are great surf spots here. There are. But great surfspots does not necessarily equal great beaches.

What exactly should a great beach have?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

What exactly should a great beach have?

Bare boobs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Bare boobs

You are 100% right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

going to the fuking cinema nowadays can be a head wrecking experience if you're unlucky enough to be going to a movie that disruptive travellers or knackers, or just degenerates in general, are also attending. Nothing beats paying to sit in a dark room to watch a movie with multiple strangers and trying to turn it into a social even by talking or being on your phone instead of being capable of sitting quiet for two hours and immersing yourself in a movie you must've wanted to watch.

Really wish there were more small, personal cinemas where you pay a subscription and get membership or something and no phones or talking is totally enforced. Headphone sockets in each seat would also be a decent alternative, similar to what's seen on planes.

personal cinemas - this would be harder to realize than crowd funding here. I know someone who carried out crowd funding here, but it is very difficult indeed.

mummies can go to screenings though with their baby + buggy.

I go to the movies in off peak periods.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    You are 100% right.

But you wouldn't be taking any notice of the beach then:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

But you wouldn't be taking any notice of the beach then:)

It would be a good distraction from all that sand.

• Advertisement

Bare boobs

/thread

Advertisement