Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Ireland a Boring Country???

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭thrashmetalfan

I have indeed.

well its up to you mate. if you don't like it you don't like it but at least you tried it. I do think its a great place though. to each their own!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Perhaps the OP can try to find entertainment in the urban centres on a w/e night. Plenty of surrealistic theatre to jolt anyone's jaded senses, laid out, free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

Yawn,yawn,yawn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

well its up to you mate. if you don't like it you don't like it but at least you tried it. I do think its a great place though. to each their own!
    Exactly the same could be said about rural Ireland ;)

beano345 wrote: »
    Yawn,yawn,yawn
    What's the matter? Never left Dubland did you :D

• Advertisement

Exactly the same could be said about rural Ireland ;)

well I live in rural Ireland so I try it everyday. it can be good in the summer months when there is lots of outside work to be done but in the winter and early spring it gets dark and depressing. pubs are shutting down, post offices and garda stations closing too. not much bang for your buck in my opinion. unless you get a thrill out of paying bills and property tax.

Yawn,yawn,yawn

someone needs their bed!:)

What's the matter? Never left Dubland did you :D

Oh plenty,now I'm stuck in the village of the damned in SE Ireland for my sins :D

Oh plenty,now I'm stuck in the village of the damned in SE Ireland for my sins :D
    Where's that?

Where's that?

Carlow :pac:

• Advertisement

Carlow :pac:

Oooh Carlow. sounds exotic! is it nice? are you enjoying yourself there??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Packrat

We need something along the scale of Alton Towers,

Tayto park or Funtasia dont give me the same buzz

Travel to Kerry or Donegal, same bloody green countryside.

Obviously you've never travelled between Kerry and Donegal, - it's one of the things the tourists ALWAYS remark on: How much the landscapes and seascapes change in such a small country.
    Visit the outback in Australia or the Midwest in the US: it might educate you on boring landscapes.

On the OP, it's all been said already, there is a reason you're bored with your life, my advice is to change your life, cos 10 million tourists to this country along with most of the inhabitants disagree with you.
    My problem every day this summer was helping my guests choose what not to do because of lack of time. Every last one of them I met (bar three miserable b1tches) could and would have stayed double the time here if their annual leave would have allowed.
    I had the best day out of the whole year today on the Beara peninsula with 8 Americans. We saw goats, a stag, 10 different breeds of sheep and cows, lakes, mountains, Dunboy, the copper mines, ate chocolate in Bonane, ate crab sandwiches for lunch in McCarthys Bar, drank porter (not me) in Kilmacillogue, visited a mussel farm, haggled with hawkers in the fair in Castletownbere, walked the top of the Healy pass, browsed the little shops in Kenmare, and all the while took in the breathtaking seascapes of Beara.

Bored my hole....

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

Oooh Carlow. sounds exotic! is it nice? are you enjoying yourself there??

I wouldn't change it for the world,I've been to the streets of Paris,Toronto,Sydney,Milan but give me tullow st any day of the week....gritty.....rotten to the core! :D

I wouldn't change it for the world,I've been to the streets of Paris,Toronto,Sydney,Milan but give me tullow st any day of the week....gritty.....rotten to the core! :D

I will have to visit. you can be my tour guide.

Packrat wrote: »
    Obviously you've never travelled between Kerry and Donegal, - it's one of the things the tourists ALWAYS remark on: How much the landscapes and seascapes change in such a small country.
    Visit the outback in Australia or the Midwest in the US: it might educate you on boring landscapes.

On the OP, it's all been said already, there is a reason you're bored with your life, my advice is to change your life, cos 10 million tourists to this country along with most of the inhabitants disagree with you.
    My problem every day this summer was helping my guests choose what not to do because of lack of time. Every last one of them I met (bar three miserable b1tches) could and would have stayed double the time here if their annual leave would have allowed.
    I had the best day out of the whole year today on the Beara peninsula with 8 Americans. We saw goats, a stag, 10 different breeds of sheep and cows, lakes, mountains, Dunboy, the copper mines, ate chocolate in Bonane, ate crab sandwiches for lunch in McCarthys Bar, drank porter (not me) in Kilmacillogue, visited a mussel farm, haggled with hawkers in the fair in Castletownbere, walked the top of the Healy pass, browsed the little shops in Kenmare, and all the while took in the breathtaking seascapes of Beara.

Bored my hole....

I had a great time too today. I saw a cat, a dog, a squashed hedgehog in the middle of the road. I saw different shaped fields and an assortment of trees. I walked all the way in to the village to buy bread and milk then I turned and walked all the way home again. I stood at the kitchen window and saw a tractor going by pulling a trailer. just the other day two workmen arrived to install brand new cast iron gates at my next door neighbours house. an assortment of birds flew over my house and I watched in awe and wonder as I saw a vast amount of dead leaves accumulate on the ground in the back garden.

bore my hole? anything to break the monotony!!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭miss tickle

I had a great time too today. I saw a cat, a dog, a squashed hedgehog in the middle of the road. I saw different shaped fields and an assortment of trees. I walked all the way in to the village to buy bread and milk then I turned and walked all the way home again. I stood at the kitchen window and saw a tractor going by pulling a trailer. just the other day two workmen arrived to install brand new cast iron gates at my next door neighbours house. an assortment of birds flew over my house and I watched in awe and wonder as I saw a vast amount of dead leaves accumulate on the ground in the back garden.

bore my hole? anything to break the monotony!!:pac:

Shouldn't this be turned into the next cecilia ahern book?

Shouldn't this be turned into the next cecilia ahern book?

I pretty much have written out the main gist of the story so to speak! Cecilia take it away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Our beaches are bloody brutal

Ireland has a LOT of world class beaches. We just don't really get the weather to enjoy them as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Tarzana wrote: »
    Ireland has a LOT of world class beaches. We just don't really get the weather to enjoy them as much.

I've established that the OP is about 15 so I doubt he would care.
    Cos its all sooooooooooooo boringggggggggggggggg.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,571 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Well Tayto park roller coaster finished next year

http://www.trbimg.com/img-53a2158a/turbine/la-trb-top-15-world-2015-20140618-pg-012/750/750x422

Other than that not much ground breaking excitement on offer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

OK, was this thread a marketing maneuver by Tayto Park? Because I really want to go there now. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

London, you are joking right?

Seriously? I think it's you that must be joking.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭creolebelle

Theme parks? Ekkk.
    Give me a country with castles and a natural born culture instead of a manufactured one that only exists to encourage mindless spending.
    The irish country is so incredibly beautiful.
    http://favim.com/orig/201102/26/Favim.com-2788.jpg
    ^how could you get bored with this

Ive never been to ireland but I plan to visit in the spring with some friends and I can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭creolebelle

Tarzana wrote: »

Well with global warming you will
    #beingpositive

Boring is what you make it - and it will only be as boring as you let it be. I am never bored here.

Having said that I travel often to Germany with my girlfriend as part of her work brings her there. And whenever we are there - there is always some small town or some such that has basically closed down to have a fest of music and beer on the streets - with vendors of everything from steak and sausage - to a kind of potatoe patty covered in apple sauce - to all kinds of things done with cheese - and crepes with nutella - brass or rock music - dancing - and all sorts of stuff. Something I just can not imagine happening here save for the occasional shutting down of the dockland area for a music event or some such.

So while I would not say Ireland is boring - as there is excitement there to find if you take the effort to look - it is certainly not up there in the top echelons of countries that facilitate that search and make it easier to find things to engage in. But as I say - I am never bored here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I don't think Ireland is a boring country at all. My boyfriend is American and we once spent a month traveling around the country together. Even for me, someone who grew up and at that time had lived in Ireland for her entire life, it was a wonderful trip. He absolutely loved it.

People say the weather is a deterrent etc. but my boyfriend adored the weather. We live in California now and it was over 30 degrees today. Personally I like the constant sunshine but I can understand why someone who is used to that would like the climate in Ireland. The grass is always greener...

We went to Glendalough, Newgrange, Blarney Castle, Bunratty Castle. We took a boat ride to one of the Aran Islands and went on a horse drawn carriage all around there. He drank a pint of Guinness in a teeny tiny pub and the barman tried to teach him some Irish. :)

We saw the Cliff's of Moher. Went to the Burren. We stayed in Lahinch and ate fish and chips by the sea. I drove him around the West and he couldn't get enough of the green fields and stone walls.

We drive up North and saw the Giant's Causeway. It rained all day but it was still magnificent. Back in Dublin, we went to Howth and Dun Laoghaire. Together we walked around the city centre, visited St Stephen's Green.

A while ago, we were lying in bed one night and he said to me, "Hey, remember that day in Knife?" He was talking about Swords! I laughed so much it hurt. I remember him trying to read directions to me in the car and for the first few days, I didn't tell him that the words written after the English place name was the Irish translation, it was too adorable hearing his pronunciations.

Ireland is filled with beauty and interest and for me, holds precious memories. I can't wait until the next time I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

People defending Irish beaches are delusional. Some of them may look nice on the 3 days each year that its sunny but even then its too cold and windy to enjoy them.

Then again, no one comes to Ireland to go to the beach. I was an immigrant to Ireland. Can't say I ever found it boring. But I might have had a different opinion if I was living out in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,938 ✭✭✭circadian

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    People defending Irish beaches are delusional. Some of them may look nice on the 3 days each year that its sunny but even then its too cold and windy to enjoy them.

Have you visited many beaches in Ireland? A walk on a misty beach is pretty refreshing, it doesn't have to be sunny to enjoy it. People swim on Christmas day up in Lisfannon!

http://curiousireland.ie/voted-2nd-most-beautiful-beach-in-the-world-ballymastocker-bay-portsalon-donegal/

If you have an interest in wildlife Irelands beaches are home to a wealth of unique flora and fauna.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

circadian wrote: »
    Have you visited many beaches in Ireland? A walk on a misty beach is pretty refreshing, it doesn't have to be sunny to enjoy it. People swim on Christmas day up in Lisfannon!

http://curiousireland.ie/voted-2nd-most-beautiful-beach-in-the-world-ballymastocker-bay-portsalon-donegal/

If you have an interest in wildlife Irelands beaches are home to a wealth of unique flora and fauna.

Yes I have. Quite a few of them and I simply wasn't impressed. I wouldn't call them world class as some other posters have. I have even done the Xmas day swim at a couple of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

I think some people think "nice beach = hot enough to lie down on to get a tan and cool off in the water" irrespective of its appearance.

I don't live in Ireland but I grew up by the sea in Dublin. There's nothing I miss more than going for long walks down the beach everyday to clear the cobwebs out. I can't think of anything more relaxing than walking down the length of a beautiful beach, even in Irish weather, then getting a pint along the way and looking out at the view. The beaches in Ireland are ideal for doing just that; they're stunning, even in Dublin.

I'm assuming very rural Ireland probably isn't the most exciting place on earth but I think it's funny that some posters on Boards think Ireland is the only country on the planet with countryside and that it differs from anywhere else.

Advertisement