Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Ireland a Boring Country???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Packrat

philstar wrote: »
    he went to the theme park

Fair enough, out of interest, which one?

I suppose the point I'm trying to make is that people who have some investment either in terms of time or money in what they do at weekends, where it's progressive, possibly but not necessarily competitive, seem to get great enjoyment not just from the hours spent actively doing whatever it is, but in preparing, and in analysing results afterwards.

Example1 : Buy a clapped out van and spend a winter (with kids if you have any) turning it into a low cost camper, then drive it round Ireland in the summer.
    Half the fun will be in the planning of the trip, the rest in prepping the camper.
    You'd learn skills on the way, and maybe even make a couple of bob on it at the end.
    Example2: go to Lidl and buy some fishing gear, supplement with better bits from your local fishing tackle shop. Learn to fish, - it takes a while to get good at it, but the skills I learned 25-30 years ago as a child I'll hopefully pass on to my children.
    Example3: If your kids do sports or dancing or whatever, - ATTEND the competitions, or the matches, you'll meet other parents who are just a unknowledgeable as yourself, but like any hobby, it's the people and the 'before and after' which will keep you going back.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

Whoa...Jeez this is startling stuff. im absolutely stunned, someone has taken the unprecedented step of knocking one or more aspects of our great nation and opening a thread in order to do this on boards.ie???!!! :eek: Whats going on???? Is the world gone mad?.....

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I will consider lying on a beach or by a pool a "fun holiday" only after I am subjected to a full frontal lobotomy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Packrat

I will consider lying on a beach or by a pool a "fun holiday" only after I am subjected to a full frontal lobotomy.

I did it (sun holiday) last year having not been for a few years, but I spent half of the time underwater diving. It was great for a rest after a long tough summer with very few days off, but I wouldn't do it every year.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Packrat wrote: »
    I did it (sun holiday) last year having not been for a few years, but I spent half of the time underwater diving. It was great for a rest after a long tough summer with very few days off, but I wouldn't do it every year.

I can see the appeal of a beach alright, particularly if you're life is hectic and you don't get much sun but it's not for everyone. I've been in Spain 5 years now and have been the beach once. I'm more into the scenary, cities and villages here than the beaches. So much more to do here than beaches.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    People defending Irish beaches are delusional. Some of them may look nice on the 3 days each year that its sunny but even then its too cold and windy to enjoy them.

Philistine. There is great aesthetic appeal in so many of our beaches, whatever the weather or time of year.
    I think some people think "nice beach = hot enough to lie down on to get a tan and cool off in the water" irrespective of its appearance.

Exactly. "Durr, we don't get much sun therefore our beaches are shít" or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I take a walk along the Barrow Track almost every day unless it's raining really heavily (which doesn't actually happen as often as people like to make out). I recently walked from Carlow town to Leighlinbridge and looked at The Black Castle and took some photos. I've often walked twelve miles to Athy and taken some pictures of Whites Castle. The novelty of taking pictures of the castles has worn off but I still love the scenery and wildlife. I could look at herons, swans and otters all day and not get bored. I could leave home at 10.30 AM and not return home until 11.00 PM and have a lovely day just walking and taking the odd break to sit down.

Some people just don't appreciate what we have here. Even Waterways Ireland want to tarmac over the entire grassy path of the Barrow Track for 90 kilometres because they've somehow gotten the idea that tourists would prefer a tarmac path to actual nature.

What I don't get is how anyone can lie on a beach all day and not be bored out of their mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

This thread is depressing,
    I just realised what tourists mean when they say 'waow you guys are so easy going'!.....
    Easy going means boring to the rest of the World.
    Yeah thanks World, thanks a Million:o

I've been watching this paint for the last 4 hours and it still isn't dry:(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,109 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Ryan's Daughter - great scenery, but boring.

Saving Private Ryan's Daughter - too long, nice beach.

Pigs in the parlour - brilliant, took lots of photos, loads of pints, remember things.

Driving on the wrong side of the highway - wtf?

Met some cousins, learned a load of family history.

Want to move there, but can't afford.

Hope to see you all again in a couple years!

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

It's boring if you hang around with boring people. Considering its a huge part of our culture, I think the pubs and clubs in this country are incredibly boring. Even the Irish pubs abroad tend to be better.

I emigrated nearly 10 years ago because I was bored sh1tless living in rural Ireland. Not been much of a drinker there wasn't much else to do at the time. It's different now though. The internet has changed things. Meetup.com, facebook, photography clubs etc, has allowed me to meet people that I never could have before. There's more gyms and bowling alleys in my area now too. If you can find people with similar interests you won't be bored.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

I went back to the beach in ballybunnion around the mid 90's one Sunday afternoon it was packed to capacity. All I had to do was sit there and watched as the hilarity ensued.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,602 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I went back to the beach in ballybunnion around the mid 90's one Sunday afternoon it was packed to capacity. All I had to do was sit there and watched as the hilarity ensued.

What happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Ok guys I was just expressing my opinion on how I think this country does a bad job on keeping the younger ones and teens entertained publicly compared to other countries in the world. Believe it or not people, but this generation of kids and teens don't find walking or hiking along the countryside fun. I think my original post was taken the wrong way. The point i wanted to make was that this country is falling behind in amenities and facilities and places of fun and a day out for young people compared to other countries in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Ok guys I was just expressing my opinion on how I think this country does a bad job on keeping the younger ones and teens entertained publicly compared to other countries in the world. Believe it or not people, but this generation of kids and teens don't find walking or hiking along the countryside fun. I think my original post was taken the wrong way. The point i wanted to make was that this country is falling behind in amenities and facilities and places of fun and a day out for young people compared to other countries in the world

What types of amenities and facilities would you like to see?

For instance my small town has a decent range of sports clubs and societies for the youth, we've tennis courts, a swimming pool, golf course, astroturf pitch, indoor basketball court, a playground, skate park.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

Novella wrote: »
    I don't think Ireland is a boring country at all. My boyfriend is American and we once spent a month traveling around the country together. Even for me, someone who grew up and at that time had lived in Ireland for her entire life, it was a wonderful trip. He absolutely loved it.

People say the weather is a deterrent etc. but my boyfriend adored the weather. We live in California now and it was over 30 degrees today. Personally I like the constant sunshine but I can understand why someone who is used to that would like the climate in Ireland. The grass is always greener...

We went to Glendalough, Newgrange, Blarney Castle, Bunratty Castle. We took a boat ride to one of the Aran Islands and went on a horse drawn carriage all around there. He drank a pint of Guinness in a teeny tiny pub and the barman tried to teach him some Irish. :)

We saw the Cliff's of Moher. Went to the Burren. We stayed in Lahinch and ate fish and chips by the sea. I drove him around the West and he couldn't get enough of the green fields and stone walls.

We drive up North and saw the Giant's Causeway. It rained all day but it was still magnificent. Back in Dublin, we went to Howth and Dun Laoghaire. Together we walked around the city centre, visited St Stephen's Green.

A while ago, we were lying in bed one night and he said to me, "Hey, remember that day in Knife?" He was talking about Swords! I laughed so much it hurt. I remember him trying to read directions to me in the car and for the first few days, I didn't tell him that the words written after the English place name was the Irish translation, it was too adorable hearing his pronunciations.

Ireland is filled with beauty and interest and for me, holds precious memories. I can't wait until the next time I see it.

Hope Cliff was in that day, gas man!

A question: what facilities do other countries have outside of sports/outdoor activities?

I wouldn't have had the money to spend on attraction parks etc. when I was a teenager. They're something you do now and then as a treat; you couldn't possibly go to an attraction park or water park on a daily basis.

Knacker drink in a field like I did! Or hang around parks chatting! Tbh, I don't see teens doing anything different regularly anywhere else. Hanging around whiling away the hours chatting is all part of being a teen. You complain you're bored at the time but that's just because teenagers like to moan - you'll miss it when you're older and have no time - you'll see!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

With the talk of theme parks, has nobody mentioned the great Irish institution of Funderland?!

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    With the talk of theme parks, has nobody mentioned the great Irish institution of Funderland?!

Or Fort Lucan. Quality wood based climbing frames, pedal Go-kart track and 40ft waterslide.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

I do think it would be a boring place to visit for more than a few days, depends on what you into really. You definitely don't come to Ireland for the theme parks anyway.

If anyone goes anywhere for theme parks, they're really not my kind of people anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Or Fort Lucan. Quality wood based climbing frames, pedal Go-kart track and 40ft waterslide.

Is that still open? I remember going there when I was younger, it was great!

• Advertisement

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Is that still open? I remember going there when I was younger, it was great!

I think it is, some spot alright, we used to go there for our school tours in Primary school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

Shopping/going out/dining out and cinema is about all there's to do in most parts of Ireland at the weekend.Sports enthusiasts keep busy with their respective sports. But outside of these options not much to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

It's not a boring country per se, but options are limited when it comes to entertainment.

Johngoose wrote: »
    It's not a boring country per se, but options are limited when it comes to entertainment.

Out of cuiosity, what kind of entertainment are you talking about though?

I'm trying to rack my brains to think of something you can do here in Spain that can't be done in Ireland. Obviously the weather is an issue but...that's just the luck of draw; you can't really blame anyone for that! Here in Madrid, people spend a lot of time walking outdoors, drinking a beer outdoors, which is not easy in Ireland, obviously but really, I can't think of anything else.

Yes, there's an attraction park here in Madrid and a water park but who has the money or the inclination to go there on a regular basis?

If you're not into sports or culture or history or outdoor activities of any kind, then it's kind of your problem.

I've seen a lot of the Spanish countryside and rural life is as uneventful as anywhere.

Really, I'd be interested to hear what kinds of entertainment people are talking about!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Travel to Kerry or Donegal, same bloody green countryside.

Ah yes - But purist tourists will never tire from comparing and contrasting the differing gaelic football styles of both counties.

Hours of fun to be had in that sort of thing.

Johngoose wrote: »
    Shopping/going out/dining out and cinema is about all there's to do in most parts of Ireland at the weekend

Where are you comparing Ireland to? What are the non-sports activities and entertainment laid on for people elsewhere?

We have museums, galleries, theaters, hobby groups, concerts, tours, drama groups, historical sites, cultural events, volunteer groups, nature watching tours, whale/dolphin watching, fine dining to budget eating and a billion other things you can get your teeth in to. Most of which are cheaper than the pub.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

John_Rambo wrote: »
    We have museums, galleries, theaters, hobby groups, concerts, tours, drama groups, historical sites, cultural events, volunteer groups, nature watching tours, whale/dolphin watching, fine dining to budget eating and a billion other things you can get your teeth in to. Most of which are cheaper than the pub.

True - But the odds are, in Ireland people doing any of those things you mentioned will still end up in the pub anyway.

Not that I have an issue with that. We have some good pubs in Ireland.

Lapin wrote: »
    True - But the odds are, in Ireland people doing any of those things you mentioned will still end up in the pub anyway.

That's ok! Nobodies being dragged to the pub with a gun to their head!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

John_Rambo wrote: »
    What happened?
    There was this rough and ready looking family in front of me, the grandparents, parents and grandchildren. The granddaughters wanted the grandfather to go down to the beach with them so he changed into his swimming gear. He had a towel around him as he took off his underpants and put on his swimming togs the towel fell down behind during the process showing his rear end to everyone behind him :eek: When he was ready he went down to the beachfront with his granddaughters only to paddle in the water for 5 minutes after all that he came back and decided to change back into his underpants going through the same procedure again. He ended up putting his underpants on inside out revealing a huge skid mark on the back :eek: to make matters worse he then decided to lie face down showing his brown stain to everyone. His daughter and her husband were going away at that stage went she spotted her auld fella showing his skidmark all she did was nudge her husband the both of them had a good laugh and went away without even telling her auld fella.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,373 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

There was this rough and ready looking family in front of me, the grandparents, parents and grandchildren. The granddaughters wanted the grandfather to go down to the beach with them so he changed into his swimming gear. He had a towel around him as he took off his underpants and put on his swimming togs the towel fell down behind during the process showing his rear end to everyone behind him :eek: When he was ready he went down to the beachfront with his granddaughters only to paddle in the water for 5 minutes after all that he came back and decided to change back into his underpants going through the same procedure again. He ended up putting his underpants on inside out revealing a huge skid mark on the back :eek: to make matters worse he then decided to lie face down showing his brown stain to everyone. His daughter and her husband were going away at that stage went she spotted her auld fella showing his skidmark all she did was nudge her husband the both of them had a good laugh and went away without even telling her auld fella.

That was sort of a disappointing story that could happen anywhere in the world!

Advertisement