Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Ireland a Boring Country???

Options
  • 02-10-2014 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

I had a couple of relatives from abroad over from a country and place where there is just some much different and fun things to do. I really had great holidays over there. They were over here in Ireland for a couple of weeks and it seems to me that this country can't match the level of awesomeness of some other countries. Yes we have pubs, shopping centres and sites of beautiful nature but nothing really more than that. Our beaches are bloody brutal, we really have no fun place for teenagers to go and spend a day at such as a big theme park with sky high roller-coasters and food squares. The countries weather is terrible compared to others. The list goes on but to me it just seems that this country needs more investment in the area of landmarks, must see sites to visit, entertainment places and tourism in general.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

buy em a pack of lego, keep occupied for a couple of hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Last_Minute

I do think it would be a boring place to visit for more than a few days, depends on what you into really. You definitely don't come to Ireland for the theme parks anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

buy em a pack of lego, keep occupied for a couple of hours.

Or give it to them to scatter all over to the floor for me to come in and step on them to absoloutely wreck my feet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

As long as Linda Martin continues to present Telly Bingo Ireland wont be boring

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

They should reopen Mosney, I loved Mosney as a kid. Is it still full of asylum seekers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Boring is yesterday's news.

Fracking is where it's at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

No. There is heaps to do. Boredom is the cheap comfort blanket of the dullard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Tayto Park is a world renowned theme park for potato enthusiasts.

Awesomeness is a ****e word.

Our beaches aren't horrible.

Just some things to consider...

We need something along the scale of Alton Towers,

Tayto park or Funtasia dont give me the same buzz

Travel to Kerry or Donegal, same bloody green countryside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Chocolate Lions

Yes it's boring. There is very little denying it, if you remove yourself from the pub scene you quickly find it's a dull place, poor on activities and amenities and with dour weather most of the year. Still a nice place to live, but ya, boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,109 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

If one brings both the travel scrabble for when they're travelling, and the normal scrabble for when they arrive, then any holiday in Ireland is thoroughly enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

ireland just doesn't have the weather or money for theme parks and the rest..... plus we don't have the foreign attraction level as Spain or florida.. so we don't bother, because we don't get that many people into ireland.

If I had the choice to visit here from another country, I wouldn't pick it because all there is is "traditional" activities... Walk the sugar loaf, visit gladalough, do the bus tour of "historic sites" and learn about the Normans and vikings.
    No thanks. :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭circadian

Beaches are what? I've been all over the world and few places have beaches that compare to what we have here. Weather, fair enough, but when the sun is shining there's nothing like chilling on on of our endless supply of beaches.

fivefingersstrand.24433906_std.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Tayto Park will be huge in a couple of years. It started off like a petting zoo but has already grown from that and having seen the plans , a lot of the new things will be for teens/adults making it much better and not just somewhere to bring the kids for the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

SMJSF wrote: »
    If I had the choice to visit here from another country, I wouldn't pick it because all there is is "traditional" activities... Walk the sugar loaf, visit gladalough, do the bus tour of "historic sites" and learn about the Normans and vikings.

Yeah that sounds like fecking torture alright. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

ireland just doesn't have the weather or money for theme parks and the rest..... plus we don't have the foreign attraction level as Spain or florida.. so we don't bother, because we don't get that many people into ireland.

Ireland does get a lot of tourists actually, 8 million in 2011 or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

bb1234567 wrote:
    Ireland does get a lot of tourists actually, 8 million in 2011 or something like that

compare that to summer months in Spain :-/ Spain has sunny weather nearly all year round, we don't...

Yep thats what I mean. Thats Ireland for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Tayto Park will be huge in a couple of years. It started off like a petting zoo but has already grown from that and having seen the plans , a lot of the new things will be for teens/adults making it much better and not just somewhere to bring the kids for the day
    Its a decent size now but it will be great once the rollercoaster opens. It needs a few rides as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Yep thats what I mean. Thats Ireland for ya.

This is Ireland for you. If you can't find something in that lot, it's you that is boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Never in my entire life have I has the desire to look at an old house or castle.

This is Ireland for you. If you can't find something in that lot, it's you that is boring.

That website sums up my thoughts on this topic

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Ireland is as boring or as exciting as YOU make it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

If you live in northern europe its easy to think that most peoples main criteria for a holiday is Hot weather, beaches etc.

But there's plenty of people living in countries where its hot in the summer, that also want to go on holiday and have no need for sunshine on their visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

country is great for outdoor activity and the last 2 summers were brilliant. send the teenagers to learn windsurfing or kayaking or rockclimbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

compare that to summer months in Spain :-/ Spain has sunny weather nearly all year round, we don't...

You know not everyone goes on holiday for hot weather. We ,along with many other europeans live in some of the least sunniest places on earth so many of us seek sun holidays. But when you think about it, almost all of africa, middle east asia, south america and even north america get ridiculously hot weather all summer long. I have friends from texas, malaysia and indonesia who love coming to ireland because its rainy and cold, a change from the punishing heat back home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

If you live rurally and the weather is particularly bad it can be boring alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

I had a couple of relatives from abroad over from a country and place where there is just some much different and fun things to do. I really had great holidays over there. They were over here in Ireland for a couple of weeks and it seems to me that this country can't match the level of awesomeness of some other countries. Yes we have pubs, shopping centres and sites of beautiful nature but nothing really more than that. Our beaches are bloody brutal, we really have no fun place for teenagers to go and spend a day at such as a big theme park with sky high roller-coasters and food squares. The countries weather is terrible compared to others. The list goes on but to me it just seems that this country needs more investment in the area of landmarks, must see sites to visit, entertainment places and tourism in general.
    Anyone that complains of boredom only have themselves to blame ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

Who the **** comes to Ireland for our beaches?!

People come here for a piss up.

No child would find Amsterdam particularly amusing either. Same way as a sex-obsessed plant enthusiast would find no interest hanging with Micky Mouse in Orlando.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I had a couple of relatives from abroad over from a country and place where there is just some much different and fun things to do. I really had great holidays over there.

Which country?

Advertisement