Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 14/15 Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sallymomo

Limone showing snow on Sunday!!

http://www.riservabianca.it/dati-meteo-riservabianca/

Which is good news for my wife's uncle who arrives there that day...

Not exactly a dump of snow but its a start, I hope its contagious for the rest of Europe so you can all enjoy your trips

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Yeah there's a lot of forecasts and reports showing a good dump of snow starting this weekend and quite a bit forecasted just after new years. I hope it's true, but long range forecasts are always quite sketchy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Who's already planning a spot of Easter skiing?! ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

fannymagee wrote: »
    Who's already planning a spot of Easter skiing?! ;-)

*Raises hand*

Ischgl, I think.

Wish I knew how to pronounce it, so I could tell people.

Fishgill, just drop the F . You are welcome;-)

fannymagee wrote: »
    Fishgill, just drop the F . You are welcome;-)

Fancy! tyvm.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

jvan wrote: »
    Im starting to think about looking at alternatives. There are 3 of us heading to Morzine in a months time. There doesn't appear to be anything due this side of the new year. So only leaves 3 weeks for the conditions to improve drastically. Now the optimist in me says it will be grand but at the same time, I was saying that 4 or 5 weeks ago too. I was in Andorra in jan 07 and that was no fun and I don't really want to be boarding in those conditions again. Time to start those naked snow dances again!

Stick with Morzine, just ski the Avoriaz side. Take the Super-Morzine lift and its a nice warm-up run and another lift up to Avoriaz, which is at 1800m, so there will be snow. Some nice bowls up there and always a good buzz around with different events etc. It might be busier than normal, but better than the Morzine and Les Gets side. Not sure about Morzine, but Les Gets station is at 1200m-ish I think.

masseyno9 wrote: »
    Stick with Morzine, just ski the Avoriaz side. Take the Super-Morzine lift and its a nice warm-up run and another lift up to Avoriaz, which is at 1800m, so there will be snow. Some nice bowls up there and always a good buzz around with different events etc. It might be busier than normal, but better than the Morzine and Les Gets side. Not sure about Morzine, but Les Gets station is at 1200m-ish I think.

Seen some pics from Avoriaz today and a bit of a report, slopes ok a bit icy in parts but, resort very quiet! All in all a good day apparently.

We got about 15-20cm Up top last night, it felt like less, but thats what the weather says fell, these 5 day forecasts are becoming tiring, every time its promising lower temps and snow and then 2 days later nada.

Had lunch with an old skool local today, he says the last time they had a start this bad, Jan became a mega storm and they got 50cm after 50cm dump for about a month! Fingers crossed

I guess it could always be worse! http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=115120#2634834

• Advertisement

Scheffau today. Not its finest hour, but at least you can put the skis on & get out there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,183 ✭✭✭prunudo

masseyno9 wrote: »

Don't get me wrong Id like to stick with Morzine and the general area and hopefully things will improve. But I'm also a realist and if the conditions remain as they are and there's a viable alternative to another resort within easy access of Geneva I'll take it.
    For the moment and without getting my hopes up there looks like there could be big changes in the next week so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I thought morzine wasn't even opening due to lack of snow and people are being bused up to avoriaz ? Did I read that somewhere?

a148pro wrote: »
    I thought morzine wasn't even opening due to lack of snow and people are being bused up to avoriaz ? Did I read that somewhere?

Yeah I think that's exactly what they're doing. No idea when it will be open

Yep currently that is the deal, also Avoriaz are limiting day pass sales currently to control the numbers of people in resort! Absolutely sensible but mad. The naked snow dances are now being performed morning and evening!

I've been to Morzine on two trips when that was happening. It's only a quick bus journey.

There is an article on the Sky News site about the lack is show in the Alps, and it mentions Avoriaz as being one of the few places with OK cover. But, as Fattes mentioned, passes are limited

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Even at that my recollection is that a lot of Avoriaz is low, 2800 at top and relatively little above 2400 I think.

I mean every season starts off with these fear threads about conditions and really its usually a kind of collective hysteria of snow junkies, but this year it seems REALLY bad.

Hope everyone headed away gets good conditions soon!

Today I found a playground, hocked some drops skied some bumps and had lots of fun. Conditions are what you make of them

Fattes wrote: »
    Conditions are what you make of them

Never was a truer word said :-)

Early start today, Christmas food shopping as I am hosting 8 mostly ski bumbs!

Village was looking Schön this Morgin

• Advertisement

Fattes wrote: »
    Early start today, Christmas food shopping as I am hosting 8 mostly ski bumbs!

Village was looking Schön this Morgin

Some year I'll have to head to a Swiss resort for the stereotypical Christmas holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Nice upgrade for snow potential for next week in a lot of Austria. Finally!!!

Merry Christmas boys and girls looks like Santa brought some snow for us all :) Hope you all have a great day and a snowy new year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

We're off to Saalbach on the 10th Jan. Cannot wait! And the snow looks like it's finally making an appearance... phew :)

Santa left about 15cm in the village and 30 up top

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭dzer2

olaola wrote: »
    We're off to Saalbach on the 10th Jan. Cannot wait! And the snow looks like it's finally making an appearance... phew :)

Doing a package or a diy?

Will be in Dublin airport from 7 that morning

That's a little better up to 40cm at top and 15-20 in the village. More on the way tomorrow and tonight

A little snow is good for the soul

http://youtu.be/p_tV9Boe648

Some rough I phone footage from today had a quick afternoon ski after teaching this am!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

dzer2 wrote: »
    Doing a package or a diy?

Will be in Dublin airport from 7 that morning

DIY. Getting the stupid o'clock flight out to Salzburg. We'll have fluorescent orange hoodies - you won't be able to miss us!

Advertisement