Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum wage increased to 11.50

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

candytog wrote: »
    Anyway I'm leaving this argument now, I'm self employed I have to get back to work :p

Have you looked into getting free labor from jobbridge by any chance? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭TINA1984

Spot the lah-lahtarian

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Laois6556

And an enormous sense of entitlement that hasn't been shook off.

Yes, we need to shake of the sense of entitlement employers feel they have to free labour.

Laois6556 wrote: »
    Yes, we need to shake of the sense of entitlement employers feel they have to free labour.

Sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

"Free labour"? I don't like Job bridge one bit but remember that no one is forcing those people to join it.

• Advertisement

"Free labour"? I don't like Job bridge one bit but remember that no one is forcing those people to join it.

Apparently its jobbridge or working in a North Indian sweatshop in this thread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Over the short run yes,but when inflation overtakes the growth in wages, jobs are lost due to costs.
    Eh, no - that logic makes zero sense, you're just magicking 'costs' out of nowhere, and are assuming that the economy stays unchanging over the long run.

Pretty blatant scaremongering, peppered with just enough jargon/obfuscation, to try and prevent people challenging it as nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭candytog

Stop being dramatic and clutching at straws,typical left over reaction.

Actually no I'll reply to this.

You cannot see past your ideals. You don't see that employers are hiring interns over and over again to do work and save money. They will not employ a permanent person until they have to. This is the reality.

I have seen time and time again jobs that were previously advertised with a salary replaced with internships.

This is harmful to the economy.

Sure.

Glad we're finally agreed. :D

It's one of three choices: take up an internship, further your education, or have your dole cut.

• Advertisement

People feel they have no choice, they can't get paid work so this is a better alternative to emigration. Some people don't want to be on the dole doing nothing don't you know?

Eh, no - that logic makes zero sense, you're just magicking 'costs' out of nowhere, and are assuming that the economy stays unchanging over the long run.

Pretty blatant scaremongering, peppered with just enough jargon/obfuscation, to try and prevent people challenging it as nonsense.
    Wages up,materials up,utilities up,logistics up.The only costs that aren't effected to a great degree are long run costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Any greyhound workers in here

People feel they have no choice, they can't get paid work so this is a better alternative to emigration...
    Ya and even emigration is a nonsense solution: The entire planet doesn't have enough job vacancies, to employ all of the unemployed worldwide - there still aren't enough jobs.

These discussions always make heavy use of the Fallacy of Composition.

People feel they have no choice, they can't get paid work so this is a better alternative to emigration. Some people don't want to be on the dole doing nothing don't you know?

What about free and paid third level education?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Varies from industry to industry,I'd imagine in an employment market like today about 2 years.

The government should pay people for 2 years until they get enough experience to work in a shop?

There's another person on boards you would get along great with.

Have you looked into getting free labor from jobbridge by any chance? :p

Oh yea I have them doing all my ****e work, sure why wouldn't I it's free labour :p

The government should pay people for 2 years until they get enough experience to work in a shop?

There's another person on boards you would get along great with.

Not at all,re read.

Wages up,materials up,utilities up,logistics up.The only costs that aren't effected to a great degree are long run costs.
    Even an economically illiterate person (which is a step up beyond some of the economic intelligence on display here) can tell, that increasing the minimum wage, won't increase materials/utilities/logistics economy-wide, by the same percentage.

It's an idiotic level of argument, where an infinitesimally small increase in any economic variable, is portrayed as if it will have a gigantic effect on every other variable in the economy.

Pure scaremongering nonsense.

Even an economically illiterate person (which is a step up beyond some of the economic intelligence on display here) can tell, that increasing the minimum wage, won't increase materials/utilities/logistics economy-wide, by the same percentage.

Pure scaremongering nonsense.

Jesus,are You actually saying that an increase in labour won't have a knock onto variable costs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Not at all,re read.

I'm guessing you have decided that only some industries should have their labour costs covered. How do we decide which these are? Should I earn half as much I did with less experience and qualifications?

What industry requires 2 years experience?

What about free and paid third level education?

Some people have already spent years in third level education. Young people can apply for grants and so forth but there's no gaurantee that they'll get them especially if they're living at home with their parents. They'd probably be living at home with their parents because they can't get paid employment. There's a lack of paid employment in part due to jobsbridge. It's a vicious circle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Here's a short example of one reason the minimum wage is bad:

-A company hires people, each employee brings in money for the company
    -One employee, a cleaner, generates 8 euro an hour for the company. He is paid 7 euro an hour.
    -A new minimum wage law is passed, which means all employees now earn 9 euro an hour
    -The employee is now generating a loss for the company, so he is made redundant.
    -He then is forced to sign on for unemployment benefits because he has no other marketable skills and can't find work elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

candytog wrote: »
    You can call their work an internship and their salary an allowance all you like but the fact of the matter is people are working 40 hours a week for 150 euro.

im pretty sure jobbridge pay an extra 50 on top of the dole so its 238 euro a week.

I'm guessing you have decided that only some industries should have their labour costs covered. How do we decide which these are? Should I earn half as much I did with less experience and qualifications?

What industry requires 2 years experience?

Lets keep it graduate so.The average graduate role requires an average of about 2 years experience from skimming through a few sites there. I don't know where the rest of your stuff came from

im pretty sure jobbridge pay an extra 50 on top of the dole so its 238 euro a week.

You get different rates depending on your age group.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

-One employee, a cleaner, generates 8 euro an hour for the company. He is paid 7 euro an hour.
    -A new minimum wage law is passed, which means all employees now earn 9 euro an hour
    -The employee is now generating a loss for the company, so he is made redundant.
    -He then is forced to sign on for unemployment benefits because he has no other marketable skills and can't find work elsewhere.

Any evidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

It is paid on top of your dole entitlement. So if you are entitled to €50 dole you will earn €100 on jobbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Palinpropism

The only "debate" that is happening over increasing minimum wage is on the comments section of the irish times. They post the first article as an opinion piece on minimum wage and the debate rages on the comments section and then they post another declaring there is "debate" ongoing about the minimum wage?! This is cynical click-based journalism imo...its all about how much commenting, sharing, liking you get regardless of there being any substance to the piece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

You are missing a blatant variable in all of this.. Joe bloggs who got an increase in pay can now afford to get his windows cleaned by someone else instead of doing it himself which in turn generates more profit for the cleaning company.

Advertisement