Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum wage increased to 11.50

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

jay-me wrote: »
    You are missing a blatant variable in all of this.. Joe bloggs who got an increase in pay can now afford to get his windows cleaned by someone else instead of doing it himself which in turn generates more profit for the cleaning company.
    Thats the oldest economic fallacy in the book:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parable_of_the_broken_window

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

You are missing a blatant variable in all of this.. Joe bloggs who got an increase in pay can now afford to get his windows cleaned by someone else instead of doing it himself which in turn generates more profit for the cleaning company.

The increase in pay is negated by the increase in pay for the cleaner,meaning that the company actually loses money due to the cost of the materials used being inflated by the rise in the minimum wage. Over a period this will risk the window cleaners job.

Any evidence?
    I didn't use a case example, but here is a Forbes article with citations which goes into more detail on why it harms low skilled workers.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesdorn/2013/05/07/the-minimum-wage-delusion-and-the-death-of-common-sense/

Another one from Forbes.

"Firms cannot pay a worker more than the value the worker brings to the firm. Raising the minimum denies more low skilled workers the opportunity to get a job and receive “on the job” training. The impact of raising the minimum wage in 2009 on teen employment makes it very clear that this is especially harmful for young teen workers looking for their first opportunity to have a job. Raising the cost of labor raises the incentive for employers to find ways to use less labor. Most minimum wage earners are not in poverty, yet their employment opportunities are impaired as well as those who are. This is but one of the poorly designed policies that are created by politicians who have little or no understanding of how business works. They promise higher legislated wages or other benefits to constituents who don’t understand the true economic impact in order to gain votes."

Keep the government away from the private sector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Jesus,are You actually saying that an increase in labour won't have a knock onto variable costs?
    Like I said in my post:
    It's an idiotic level of argument, where an infinitesimally small increase in any economic variable, is portrayed as if it will have a gigantic effect on every other variable in the economy.
    Zero evidence to support such scaremongering.

• Advertisement

Like I said in my post:

Zero evidence to support such scaremongering.

Get your self educated in economics and you'll find plenty of evidence

This is a national increase in minimum wage,not a semi federal increase. All boats rise with the tide.

Thats the oldest economic fallacy in the book:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parable_of_the_broken_window
    lol - ya because cleaning windows is the same as breaking them; perfect analogy. You'd need to do a lot more to explain how that's applicable.

Here's a quick summary of the evidence regarding effects of changing the minimum wage:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_wage#Empirical_studies

At best, inconclusive - and with consequences so insignificant, they are easily negated by the benefit to workers, of a minor increase in minimum wage.

Here's a quick summary of the evidence regarding effects of changing the minimum wage:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_wage#Empirical_studies

At best, inconclusive - and with consequences so insignificant, they are easily negated by the benefit to workers, of a minor increase in minimum wage.

Again,federal.

Get your self educated in economics and you'll find plenty of evidence

This is a national increase in minimum wage,not a semi federal increase. All boats rise with the tide.
    In other words: You have féck all evidence, only soundbites, and like to try and shift the burden of proof off your shoulders, onto others.
    You made the claim, the burden of proof is on you.

If you want to convince anyone of your argument here, provide some evidence - until then, you're just spouting unbacked nonsense.

• Advertisement

Again,federal.
    Again, *meaningless word to make it sound like I know what I'm talking about*.

In other words: You have féck all evidence, only soundbites, and like to try and shift the burden of proof off your shoulders, onto others.
    You made the claim, the burden of proof is on you.

If you want to convince anyone of your argument here, provide some evidence - until then, you're just spouting unbacked nonsense.
    Ok what would you like me to prove?

Again, *meaningless word to make it sound like I know what I'm talking about*.

Federal.

Ok what would you like me to prove?
    This line of discussion, goes back to your original statement here:
    Wages up,materials up,utilities up,logistics up.The only costs that aren't effected to a great degree are long run costs.
    Prove that a change in the minimum wage, will have more than an infinitesimally small increase, in any other costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Love the people who have obviously never had any dealings with our glorious DSP using phrases like ''choose to apply for'' and ''not hurting the employment market at all'' when talking about Jobbridge. My 60 year old aunt was told flat out that if she didn't take a JB position in a local deli (where she gains valuable experience making tea and doing the dog work her supervisor won't do for 40 hours a week for €238) that her benefits would be cut off.

There's a younger girl working with her who's also on JB but her 'internship' is nearly up. She replaced another JB 'intern' 9 months ago. The owner has no intention of hiring anyone. Before JB two people would have been employed in those roles, but the owner now has access to a free labor conveyor belt thanks to the government, who are more concerned with appeasing their wealthy business owner pals and massaging the true live register numbers with these farcical schemes then actually helping people find work. How anyone can say anything different is beyond me.

I'd imagine a lot of the vociferously pro Jobbridge folks on here's IP addresses would make interesting reading.

I'd also like to see some stats from people:
    How many businesses, exactly, will go under, due to this change in the minimum wage? How many jobs will be lost, exactly?

Given that this increase in minimum wage will increase the wages paid to many workers, this will give more back to workers, for disposable spending - which, if they spend this money back into the economy, thus increasing aggregate demand, can do plenty to shore up struggling companies balance sheets, and boost the private economy.

Given the empirical evidence showing inconclusive or insignificant effects on jobs, from minimum wage changes, the beneficial effects of the above would likely far outweigh any downside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

I'd also like to see some stats from people:
    How many businesses, exactly, will go under, due to this change in the minimum wage? How many jobs will be lost, exactly?

Given that this increase in minimum wage will increase the wages paid to many workers, this will give more back to workers, for disposable spending - which, if they spend this money back into the economy, thus increasing aggregate demand, can do plenty to shore up struggling companies balance sheets, and boost the private economy.

Given the empirical evidence showing inconclusive or insignificant effects on jobs, from minimum wage changes, the beneficial effects of the above would likely far outweigh any downside.
    =
    Considering the recent closures of so many pubs etc it is at least feasible to say that in the short term businesses with a static income e.g hotels etc could very well go under as the increase would be felt by them most.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Haxelrm

bull

=
    Considering the recent closures of so many pubs etc it is at least feasible to say that in the short term businesses with a static income e.g hotels etc could very well go under as the increase would be felt by them most.
    Except you're assuming 'all other things are kept equal' in the economy (that all things except wages will stay the same as present), and that the increase in aggregate demand would not extend to these other industries.

When you increase peoples wages, a portion of that goes into increased aggregate demand, which feeds back into business profits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Haxelrm wrote: »
    bull

Which bit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

Except you're assuming 'all other things are kept equal' in the economy (that all things except wages will stay the same as present), and that the increase in aggregate demand would not extend to these other industries.

When you increase peoples wages, a portion of that goes into increased aggregate demand, which feeds back into business profits.

But in the short term the Hotel would be forking out a lot more money and for it to get back around might be to long for businesses already in trouble.

lol - ya because cleaning windows is the same as breaking them; perfect analogy. You'd need to do a lot more to explain how that's applicable.
    I see you either didn't read the page entirely or didn't understand the principle it represents.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

If minimum wage is raised to 11.50 then anyone whose productivity is less than 11.50 will be fired. Great for young professionals with uni education, terrible for middle aged unskilled workers...

I see you either didn't read the page entirely or didn't understand the principle it represents.
    I don't think you understood it to be honest; also, it's up to you to explain what you mean, not just to point people at links and say "here, read".

This line of discussion, goes back to your original statement here:

Prove that a change in the minimum wage, will have more than an infinitesimally small increase, in any other costs.

http://mobile.businessweek.com/articles/2014-02-25/when-minimum-wage-goes-up-the-menu-price-also-rises

Kind of a case study,perhaps borrow an economics handbook.

Chop and change and cost and increases depending on industry and the results will be there or there abouts.

But in the short term the Hotel would be forking out a lot more money and for it to get back around might be to long for businesses already in trouble.
    Except you're speaking in hypotheticals here, and on the scale of one single business:
    When you're talking about a macroeconomic (whole economy) change like changing the minimum wage, what happens to individual businesses isn't what matters, it's the aggregate effect on all businesses that matters - and if the latter is a net-positive, it's a beneficial effect, even if it makes a small number of already-nearly-unsustainable businesses go out of business.

I love how you presume that costs will be fixed but everything else will shift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

It is Work Experience plain and simple. Paid Work Experience at at. Nobody is forced onto jobbridge,its either apply for The post externally,go into education (which you actually get paid to do ffs) or take part in the program. The employers are there for what?,thats right to provide work experience not employment.

You are living in a land of nonsensical's. The only reason why businesses/companies use Jobbridge is for free labour, it doesn't take a genius to figure this out. The SME's with fewer employees struggling will (and are) slobbering all over this Jobbridge for free labour at the expense of poor unfortunate work-seekers.

So don't paint the board with black paint, as any reasonably intelligent person can see through what's there in your comment.

http://mobile.businessweek.com/articles/2014-02-25/when-minimum-wage-goes-up-the-menu-price-also-rises

Kind of a case study,perhaps borrow an economics handbook.

Chop and change and cost and increases depending on industry and the results will be there or there abouts.
    You said "materials up,utilities up,logistics up" in cost; the article you've provided, doesn't show any of that.

The article you've shown only cherry-picks a few small cases, when the prove your point, you have to have a study showing the overall macroeconomic effects on the entire economy - since the minimum wage changes affect the whole economy.

• Advertisement

I don't think you understood it to be honest; also, it's up to you to explain what you mean, not just to point people at links and say "here, read".
    Good job deflecting

In simple terms, damaging things (or in this case, losing a worker and paying someone else) does not help grow the economy by circulating money. The employee who lost his job could have had a job and spent money elsewhere, but now he has no work and is draining money from the government.

Looking back, I actually don't fully understand what the other user was trying to say since his point doesn't relate to my example. The employer is not getting a pay increase, he is losing an employee

Advertisement