Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum wage increased to 11.50

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Laois6556

Say goodbye to affordable merchandise and selections of British shops when they find Ireland isn't profitable so.

So companies should have free labour and people earning low wages shouldn't receive an increase because tesco will leave us? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Laois6556 wrote: »
    If people could chose then most would decide to enter paid employment, there's a huge lack of paid employment and this jobsbridge thing is not helping that in the least. Yet some people are in favour of it.

Are there 400,000+ jobbridge positions

No

So jobbridge isn't harming jobs at all

are you on jobbridge or likely to apply for a jobbridge position .?

Or are you in employment

And in a circle we go.

Work experience.

Free labour. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭candytog

Which they do...they don't have to pay for people to gain experience however.

God forbid people have to work to get to where they want to be.

So at what point are you experienced enough? sure by your logic we don't have to pay people until they are bloody experts ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Right wing economists argue that raises in minimum wage create unemployment. That's generally shown to be empirically untrue - the reasons being more money in the low paid pockets tends to spent pushing up demand significantly.

The OP does have a point on rental income however as the increase could be spent on rent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Which they do...they don't have to pay for people to gain experience however.

God forbid people have to work to get to where they want to be.

God forbid companies have to pay to get workers. And train them? We should have buildings set up where you can sign up and pay to do the orientation of a company you want to work for so that as soon as you start working you can get straight to work. The idea of a company having to do anything to get workers ready is just too much to expect from them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

candytog wrote: »
    So at what point are you experienced enough? sure by your logic we don't have to pay people until they are bloody experts ffs

Jobbridge is primarily aimed at people who have 0 experience in the field their interested in. So to answer your question - when you have not 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Wompa1 wrote: »

Or is that only me who has noticed?

Yeah out weekly shop increased by €40+ pw over the last 3 years for more or less the same items

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

Wompa1 wrote: »
    What food is cheaper, you got any examples? I thought about 2 years ago that food was actually cheaper. You could go to Tesco or Dunnes and get 3 different types of meat for a tenner. That seems to have changed now. Fruit and Veg went up a bit, but not hugely. Restaurants around Galway have also upped their prices. Even McDonalds and Supermacs seem to be more expensive than a couple of years ago.

Or is that only me who has noticed?

Aldi Lidl Super Value etc have all seriously low prices on fruit veg in particular! I don't eat meat but there is always deals on that too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Don't expect logic from people's whose income derives in part from exploitation.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Right wing economists argue that raises in minimum wage create unemployment. That's generally shown to be empirically untrue - the reasons being more money in the low paid pockets tends to spent pushing up demand significantly.

The OP does have a point on rental income however as the increase could be spent on rent.

Over the short run yes,but when inflation overtakes the growth in wages, jobs are lost due to costs.

Gatling wrote: »

No

Or are you in employment

There should be no jobsbridge positions, that would help create some paid employment. So jobsbridge is harming jobs.

I'm not on jobsbridge and I never will be. I'm in full time employment.

There should be no jobsbridge positions, that would help create some paid employment. So jobsbridge is harming jobs.

I'm not on jobsbridge and I never will be. I'm in full time employment.

No it wouldn't,you'd just replace paid internships with unpaid internships.

Anyway,back to the economic disaster of raising the minimum wage.

No

Or are you in employment

It is effecting certain areas. Before jobsbride there was an entire industry around outsourced marketing solutions. Companies could save money by outsourcing rather then employing additional staff. Go and have a look on indeed.ie for "marketing" and tell me what percentage of those jobs are internships. Those people employed in marketing roles lost their jobs and now guess what? they can't get any jobs because their entire field is occupied by interns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭TINA1984

LOL, so naive.

No, if companies require employees they'd have to pay for them.

Where do you get this idea of unpaid internships from? I certainly never heard of them pre jobsbride.

Where do you get this idea of unpaid internships from? I certainly never heard of them pre jobsbride.

You mean back when we were touching around 98% employment?,of course you didn't.Go back to the 80's and you might see something different.

Jobbridge is primarily aimed at people who have 0 experience in the field their interested in. So to answer your question - when you have not 0.

My question was when are you experienced enough to get paid properly?

My question was when are you experienced enough to get paid properly?

Varies from industry to industry,I'd imagine in an employment market like today about 2 years.

• Advertisement

You mean back when we were touching around 98% employment?,of course you didn't.Go back to the 80's and you might see something different.

Exactly my point, when we had 98% employment and you had no experience you walked into a job at or above minimum wage and got your experience that way.

In the 80s you emigrated if you didn't have a job.

Varies from industry to industry,I'd imagine in an employment market like today about 2 years.

So you think people should have to "gain experience" at a half the minium wage for 2 years before being entitled to minium wage.

Perhaps also we should reduce the age required to start this experience to say 8 years old and increase capacity in factories to sweatshop conditions.

So you think people should have to "gain experience" at a half the minium wage for 2 years before being entitled to minium wage.

Perhaps also we should reduce the age required to start this experience to say 8 years old and increase capacity in factories to sweatshop conditions.
    People should gain experience regardless of wage before a permanent post yes. It's how the rest of the world works.Sadly in Ireland people want a job without having to work for it.

As for the sweatshops...whaaaaa?

So this thread shows us that there are Irish people who are happy to see other Irish people in unpaid labour and they don't want to see low paid workers see any increase to their wages. A nice bunch of people. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

1946, Henry Hazlitt explains the minimum wage:
    http://bastiat.mises.org/2014/01/hazlitt-explains-minimum-wage-laws/

Its needs to be scrapped, not raised.

So this thread shows us that there are Irish people who are happy to see other Irish people in unpaid labour and they don't want to see low paid workers see any increase to their wages. A nice bunch of people. :(

And an enormous sense of entitlement that hasn't been shook off.

People should gain experience regardless of wage before a permanent post yes. It's how the rest of the world works.Sadly in Ireland people want a job without having to work for it.

As for the sweatshops...whaaaaa?

How about we go back to slavery then? because anyone with any economic sense knows that if you pay people a fair wage for the work they do this benefits EVERYBODY.

How about we go back to slavery then? because anyone with any economic sense knows that if you pay people a fair wage for the work they do this benefits EVERYBODY.
    Stop being dramatic and clutching at straws,typical left over reaction.

Anyway I'm leaving this argument now, I'm self employed I have to get back to work :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

if you pay people a fair wage for the work they do this benefits EVERYBODY.
    It is up to an employer to set the wage and the individual to make a decision whether or not it is fair pay, and then to work for them or not. A minimum wage harms business's and employees more than it helps.

Advertisement