Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum wage increased to 11.50

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Laois6556

Its not employment,candidates go in with their eyes open after SELECTING their post that it is not a full time permanent post. It is written in black and white in The jobbridge mission statement that The purpose of The program is to allow The long term unemployed a chance to get familiarised (i.e gain experience) with work ethos and The practices of their chosen post.Not gain a full time permanent post and then get upset when it doesnt materialise.

It's a job. An unpaid one but still a job. If there was proper paying jobs people would try for them but most have no choice but to go onto jobsbridge. If employers need workers for their business then they should pay for them, that's the bottom line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

And why would a company Want to hire an intern in This period while they can get a qualified worker for a Little more who will actually make them Money?

They get me for a salary at about 18k now for a few months, get to see how I work, give me some training and then can offer me a job knowing what I'm like. Instead they would be giving someone about 28k who could turn out to be useless and has to start from scratch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Bang_Bang

It would drive rent up.

And force people into 42% tax rate, due to overtime, currently 11.50 Ph will give an employee 23k per year, but that's bullshít on a weekly basis, especially if a couple of hours of OT are included, you're total wage packet is adjusted to 42%, and then the PRSI and USC are applied accordingly. You end up with nothing, while I'm looking forward, the worst thing that happened was being sucked into this poxy rip off system, I will push on and work hard for my family, but the system is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Is not a Job ? are you serious. Do you even know the definition of what a job is ? It seems not. That is a ridiculous comment to make.

While you are there working 35/40 hours per week for an extra €50 that wouldn't even cover travel expenses, get real.

On top of 188 - 372.40 + depending on circumstances

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Is not a Job ? are you serious. Do you even know the definition of what a job is ? It seems not. That is a ridiculous comment to make.

While you are there working 35/40 hours per week for an extra €50 that wouldn't even cover travel expenses, get real.

It is Work Experience plain and simple. Paid Work Experience at at. Nobody is forced onto jobbridge,its either apply for The post externally,go into education (which you actually get paid to do ffs) or take part in the program. The employers are there for what?,thats right to provide work experience not employment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭candytog

Its not employment,candidates go in with their eyes open after SELECTING their post that it is not a full time permanent post. It is written in black and white in The jobbridge mission statement that The purpose of The program is to allow The long term unemployed a chance to get familiarised (i.e gain experience) with work ethos and The practices of their chosen post.Not gain a full time permanent post and then get upset when it doesnt materialise.

You paint a pretty picture but it's you that needs to open your eyes.

REALITY

Companies choose to get interns rather than employ staff to save lots of money. They make up a bull**** job description like "the intern will gain valuable experience in..." and fill low skilled jobs with these people.

The number of real jobs are reduced by the scheme making it harder for people with skills and experience to get jobs.

Young people who want a job are forced to take up these positions or have their dole cut. They may already have degrees or higher or simply do not want to go to college and want to work.

The interns are given work totally unrelated to the supposed experience and eventually after 9 months they leave.

Now they are back on the dole and there are still not enough jobs so all their experience is pointless.

if the economy did recover there would be a demand for jobs and suddenly anyone can get a job with barely any experience thus making their efforts redundant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Bang_Bang

Property tax is completely separate and payable regardless of any payrise. Including this is disingenuous and vexatious.

Furthermore, how much property tax do you think is payable?

None, I paid 38k in property tax at the time of purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

candytog wrote: »
    Most people outside Dub drive cars

Tractors, you mean

Laois6556 wrote: »
    It's a job. An unpaid one but still a job. If there was proper paying jobs people would try for them but most have no choice but to go onto jobsbridge. If employers need workers for their business then they should pay for them, that's the bottom line.

No there are alternatives to jobbridge,you can take those and apply externally to a comparable post.

Tractors, you mean

At least they don't smell like piss and ask you for spare change.

• Advertisement

It is Work Experience plain and simple. Paid Work Experience at at. Nobody is forced onto jobbridge,its either apply for The post externally,go into education (which you actually get paid to do ffs) or take part in the program. The employers are there for what?,thats right to provide work experience not employment.

People go into their place of work for nearly 40 hours per week and work for their employer. It's a job. You can't deny reality. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Direct Current

candytog wrote: »
    The minimum wage is currently €3.75 by the way.

I used your logic. I will tell you about someone who is well educated and works very hard in an ostensibly good career and earns less than the minimum wage, about 7.25 an hour. And that's without making all deductions. Only 3.50 and hour more than your example!!

That said, his employer will truthfully tell you he's paid 50k a year!!

If he was the dole he gets 188 dole plus 120 rent allowance per week. That's 308

50k will leave him with 670.56 a week in his pocket according to the Deloitte online tax calculator.

The difference is 362 a week. However he works at least 50 hours a week. (Official office hours are 8:30 to 5:30 but lunch at his desk, late evenings and bringing work home are the norm rather than the exception, particularly for someone who wants to get ahead)

This leaves about 7.25 an hour. This would be further reduced had I included an amount for the medical card he's losing by going out and working.

Yes, this is a ridiculous use of statistics. But it's the same as your 3.75 logic

(and it's a made up example!)

People go into their place of work for nearly 40 hours per week and work for their employer. It's a job. You can't deny reality. :D

Yes you can. You'd swear people are being tricked into thinking they're going into a permanent post when applying through jobbridge.

No there are alternatives to jobbridge,you can take those and apply externally to a comparable post.

The alternatives to jobsbridge is either education or get on a plane out of here. It really is disgusting the way our people are being treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The alternatives to jobsbridge is either education or get on a plane out of here. It really is disgusting the way our people are being treated.

It's all choices and personal choices at that

Pay people to go to a third level university,truly barbaric...

I used your logic. I will tell you about someone who is well educated and works very hard in an ostensibly good career and earns less than the minimum wage, about 7.25 an hour. And that's without making all deductions. Only 3.50 and hour more than your example!!

If he was the dole he gets 188 dole plus 120 rent allowance per week. That's 308

50k will leave him with 670.56 a week in his pocket according to the Deloitte online tax calculator.

The difference is 362 a week. However he works at least 50 hours a week. (Official office hours are 8:30 to 5:30 but lunch at his desk, late evenings and bringing work home are the norm rather than the exception, particularly for someone who wants to get ahead)

This leaves about 7.25 an hour. This would be further reduced had I included an amount for the medical card he's losing by going out and working.

Yes, this is a ridiculous use of statistics. But it's the same as your 3.75 logic

The person earning 3.75 works nearly 40 hours per week. The other person is getting nearly double for working a few hours more, they can't complain really. :)

Yes you can. You'd swear people are being tricked into thinking they're going into a permanent post when applying through jobbridge.

People want to work, there's no paying jobs for them so they think there best option is jobsbridge. It's a horrible situation to be in.

People want to work, there's no paying jobs for them so they think there best option is jobsbridge. It's a horrible situation to be in.

You can't run before you walk,a jobbridge placement is going to enhance your CV and give you more of a chance to become employed.

And again,its not the only option.

Gatling wrote: »
    It's all choices and personal choices at that

If people could chose then most would decide to enter paid employment, there's a huge lack of paid employment and this jobsbridge thing is not helping that in the least. Yet some people are in favour of it.

• Advertisement

Pay people to go to a third level university,truly barbaric...

Have people work full time but don't pay tham a wage. Paradice. :D

your logic is flawed.

A young intern works 40 hours and gets 150 euro gross. By the tax system this works out at 150 net, thus 3.75.

if we are talking about the difference between working and staying on the dole then in this case it is 50 euro, which is 1.25 per hour.

Your 50k person is contracted to work 40 hours and therefore is on around 16.75 euro per hour take home. If they chose to work their lunch and unpaid overtime that is their choice. I am sure many interns are working equally as hard to try and gain a position after they finish their internship.

You can't run before you walk,a jobbridge placement is going to enhance your CV and give you more of a chance to become employed.

And again,its not the only option.

If employers need workers then they should pay them wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,066 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Like see wage go up to 10e.

I know people who work for retail company on 8.95.

A guy there I know works 30 hours. He told me between travelling and buying work clothes from time to time he only about 100-200 euro better off per month then guy sitting on his hole our in bed all day.

A extra euro to likes of these people in would make difference.

If employers need workers then they should pay them wages.
    Which they do...they don't have to pay for people to gain experience however.

God forbid people have to work to get to where they want to be.

Like see wage go up to 10e.

I know people who work for retail company on 8.95.

A guy there I know works 30 hours. He told me between travelling and buying work clothes from time to time he only about 100-200 euro better off per month then guy sitting on his hole our in bed all day.

A extra euro to likes of these people in would make difference.

Say goodbye to affordable merchandise and selections of British shops when they find Ireland isn't profitable so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

jay-me wrote: »
    As it stands food is at an all time low, utility bills have gone up but there is a lot less waste than before and my bills have reflected this.

What food is cheaper, you got any examples? I thought about 2 years ago that food was actually cheaper. You could go to Tesco or Dunnes and get 3 different types of meat for a tenner. That seems to have changed now. Fruit and Veg went up a bit, but not hugely. Restaurants around Galway have also upped their prices. Even McDonalds and Supermacs seem to be more expensive than a couple of years ago.

Or is that only me who has noticed?

Which they do...they don't have to pay for people to gain experience however.

God forbid people have to work to get to where they want to be.

They don't pay for workers on jobsbridge. Free labour. As I've said, if they need employees then they should pay them a wage.

They don't pay for workers on jobsbridge. Free labour. As I've said, if they need employees then they should pay them a wage.

And in a circle we go.

Work experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Wompa1 wrote: »
    What food is cheaper, you got any examples? I thought about 2 years ago that food was actually cheaper. You could go to Tesco or Dunnes and get 3 different types of meat for a tenner. That seems to have changed now. Fruit and Veg went up a bit, but not hugely. Restaurants around Galway have also upped their prices. Even McDonalds and Supermacs seem to be more expensive than a couple of years ago.

Or is that only me who has noticed?

Food in supermarkets is cheaper relative to wages than it is ever been.

Advertisement