Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum wage increased to 11.50

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

candytog wrote: »
    You are comparing eduction to employment. I am comparing working with working.

No, Internship is set up for you to learn skills (We are aware it gets abused, but that's a different discussion) for a maximum period of 9 months . You get a top up to your social welfare, but it is still social welfare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Laois6556 wrote: »
    It's either education and apply for a grant, jobsbridge and work for nothing or emigrate. That's not really cushy.

So getting paid to go to third level or getting paid work experience which will benefit the recipient isn't a good deal in The Situation one would find themselves when unemployed?

Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭candytog

Internships by traditional ehtos are unpaid,how is 250 a week for one not advantageous?

150-238 depending on your age. And tell me, how many people do you know did unpaid internships before jobsbride?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Laois6556

Internships by traditional ehtos are unpaid,how is 250 a week for one not advantageous?

Dole is 188 so they're working full time for 50 euros extra. The cost of the commute probably wouldn't be covered by that 50. People want to work and get paid fairly for it, what have you got against that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I really hope it goes ahead because rent is ridiculously high for anyone on minimum wage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

We have to create enough of a gap between dole and full time employment for full time employment to be the goal. I would think a combination of lowering social welfare and incentivising low wage workers somehow would help to counter the people who think money comes from the post office every week.

150-238 depending on your age. And tell me, how many people do you know did unpaid internships before jobsbride?

I for one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Gatling wrote: »
    Your still wrong .

There gaining experience that will allow them to get onto the career path of there choosing yes the system has been abused but when it's used as a stepping stone it suits a lot of people

Actually, i know of a 46 year old mother of 3 who has been married for almost 20 years and has kept a home for the duration of that.

She's on a jobsbridge as a cleaner.
    Definite experience gained for her there :rolleyes:

So getting paid to go to third level or getting paid work experience which will benefit the recipient isn't a good deal in The Situation one would find themselves when unemployed?

Jesus.

How about they get paid fairly for doing full time work? Radical thinking I know. :D

Dole is 188 so they're working full time for 50 euros extra. The cost of the commute probably wouldn't be covered by that 50. People want to work and get paid fairly for it, what have you got against that?

Because it.is.not.an.employment.service. When You go to jobbridge,You attend on an internship basis to gain experience in The field not to etch out a career in that post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Jesus.

The company could pay them minimum wage. I know its a radical idea but i was paid it for an internship before I even graduated.

How about they get paid fairly for doing full time work? Radical thinking I know. :D

See above. A jobbridge placement is not a job,its preperation for getting a job.

That's not a bad idea! work with us and we will pay your rent. I can see rents rising pretty rapidly tho :p
    If a rew major employers was to muscle in on the private rental market and make an offer to a professional landlord to pay a low rent on a take it or we don't employ anyone, they'll take it.

The company could pay them minimum wage. I know its a radical idea but i was paid it for an internship before I even graduated.

How could any company ne expected to give somebody with low experience a Job out of nowhere for 11.50 per hour?

Its not an employment Service.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

Bang_Bang wrote: »
    Pay rises are a complete waste of time in the current tax system. I got promoted last year and got an extra 10k. I don't have my wife's tax credits because she's in full time work too. After increased PRSI, USC and so called income tax because of my "pay rise" I'm effectively 100 euro better off a fortnight which is equivalent to just over €2600 net PA, work that one out?

I'm still coming to terms with 42% plus increased USC and PRSI, why the fcuk anyone gets out of bed in the morning is beyond me?

This doesn't seem right! 7.4k has not gone to taxes. Worst case around 52% or 5.2k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Gatling wrote: »
    No it's not .

You either choose to take part in the scheme or you don't .

People on minimum wages are usually lacking in skills or education ( though not all ) to be able to progress up their career ladders

Jobbridge and all the other Internship / pathway schemes are currently influencing the labour market so it is relevant.

In a lot of cases you don't have a choice.

Because it.is.not.an.employment.service. When You go to jobbridge,You attend on an internship basis to gain experience in The field not to etch out a career in that post.

It is employment. The people who advertise for jobsbridge require employees, they get them but don't have to pay them a wage.

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    I really hope it goes ahead because rent is ridiculously high for anyone on minimum wage.

It would drive rent up.

See above. A jobbridge placement is not a job,its preperation for getting a job.

It is a job, they're working full time hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

We have to create enough of a gap between dole and full time employment for full time employment to be the goal. I would think a combination of lowering social welfare and incentivising low wage workers somehow would help to counter the people who think money comes from the post office every week.
    First though, there should be enough jobs made available (currently 24 people per job vacancy), so we aren't engaging in collective-punishment against all of the unemployed, ya?

No point slashing peoples support payments, and telling them to go get jobs that aren't there for them, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭candytog

smcgiff wrote: »
    No, Internship is set up for you to learn skills (We are aware it gets abused, but that's a different discussion) for a maximum period of 9 months . You get a top up to your social welfare, but it is still social welfare.

Yes I know what the jobsbridge scheme is but it is like having an argument about income tax and you saying that USC is not relevant because it has a different name and supposed function.

It is highly related to the cost of labour and is therefore highly relevant to discussion about increasing minimum wage. Just as other aspects of the cost of living are also relevant such as rent etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

It would drive rent up.
    Yes because rents have been driven up lately, by the equally massive increase in the minimum wage we've seen - perfect correlation between the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

How could any company ne expected to give somebody with low experience a Job out of nowhere for 11.50 per hour?

Its not an employment Service.

It isnt 11.50 yet and probably never will be. I didnt even have low experience, I was unqualified and had no experience. Same with the majority of my class who also managed to be given internships that pay minimum wage. If a company wants to hire someone then they can pay them.

It is employment. The people who advertise for jobsbridge require employees, they get them but don't have to pay them a wage.

Its not employment,candidates go in with their eyes open after SELECTING their post that it is not a full time permanent post. It is written in black and white in The jobbridge mission statement that The purpose of The program is to allow The long term unemployed a chance to get familiarised (i.e gain experience) with work ethos and The practices of their chosen post.Not gain a full time permanent post and then get upset when it doesnt materialise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Bang_Bang

shuyin1 wrote: »
    This doesn't seem right! 7.4k has not gone to taxes. Worst case around 52% or 5.2k.

It's 54% when you add property tax, god knows what it will be when Dennis rides us up the hole!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

That's because they are being forced to because it's either that or an internship!

Or many realised the way to a better future for themself or there families was through going back to education and retraining after the economy collapsed

It isnt 11.50 yet and probably never will be. I didnt even have low experience, I was unqualified and had no experience. Same with the majority of my class who also managed to be given internships that pay minimum wage. If a company wants to hire someone then they can pay them.

And why would a company Want to hire an intern in This period while they can get a qualified worker for a Little more who will actually make them Money?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Jobbridge is not employment, anymore than Community Employment is. It is an activation measure, and a very successful one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Bang_Bang wrote: »
    It's 54% when you add property tax, god knows what it will be when Dennis rides us up the hole!

Property tax is completely separate and payable regardless of any payrise. Including this is disingenuous and vexatious.

Furthermore, how much property tax do you think is payable?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Is not a Job ? are you serious. Do you even know the definition of what a job is ? It seems not. That is a ridiculous comment to make.

While you are there working 35/40 hours per week for an extra €50 that wouldn't even cover travel expenses, get real.

Advertisement