Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OS X 10.10 Yosemite

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

Have downloaded for the second time today.

Firstly over the Beta Version on Late 2012 iMac. No Problems encountered.

A similar result on a mid 2007 iMac. Did run a little warm, returned to normal after installation. Did lose some menu bar symbols, soon restored.

Have two more computers to do.

Length of time to download 1hour 25mins.

length of time to install 30mins

Install does stick at the start of Installation at 22mins. Just let it alone.

What I do is in "energy saver" run computer at 3 hours and the display at 5 Mins and then return after 30 mins and see what happens.

Some colleagues did find that they got "failed to install" and had to download again.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Did you do anything specific to stop the beach balls or did it just sort itself out. I can't do anything without getting them. Very annoying!

No i didn't to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I'm getting a few frozen tabs in Safari unfortunately

I think that's Safari, as I'm getting them on Mavericks since doing an update during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Shellakybooky

Just installed on my macbook mid 2010. It is coming up that I now have no WiFi hardware installed. Anyone else have or here of this issue or know of a fix?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I generally hadn't noticed any bugs in Yosemite through the testing of the public beta. A few issues at first seem to have been fixed and the only problem was wifi issues but as of the GM they were fixed too.

Only problem for me is my Mac doesn't have Bluetooth 4.0 so I'm loosing out on all the Continuity features. Time to upgrade for me anyways. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Painless upgrade, but not liking the OS. Suppose it'll grow on me.....like fungus.:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

DubDJ wrote: »
    I generally hadn't noticed any bugs in Yosemite through the testing of the public beta. A few issues at first seem to have been fixed and the only problem was wifi issues but as of the GM they were fixed too.

Only problem for me is my Mac doesn't have Bluetooth 4.0 so I'm loosing out on all the Continuity features. Time to upgrade for me anyways. :)

It’s only Handoff that requires Bluetooth 4.0. The other major Continuity features, like SMS and phone calls, only need WiFi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭giffney1991

Anybody able to send SMS messages yet from Mac? Do we have to wait till 8.1 rolls out?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Anybody able to send SMS messages yet from Mac? Do we have to wait till 8.1 rolls out?

Yeah, it’s disabled until 8.1.

It’s only Handoff that requires Bluetooth 4.0. The other major Continuity features, like SMS and phone calls, only need WiFi.

Really? I assumed it needs Bluetooth to show your in proximity with your device? If so I'd be delighted with that, as its the main part of the update I'm looking forward to, other than the new design.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Pretty painless install on a couple of machines now. Only issue was a broken Premiere Pro install but that was easily sorted by fixing a dodgy permission:
    sudo chown -R $USER ~/Library/Preferences/Adobe/Premiere\ Pro 

Tho this appears to be an issue with Adobe across various OS X versions.

I'm liking it for the most part, it runs well. The new look can take a bit of getting used to. I'm not too fond of some of the new app icons (the Mail stamp is too narrow!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Still having slow wifi re-connect from sleeping with Yosemite. Disappointing.

Really? I assumed it needs Bluetooth to show your in proximity with your device? If so I'd be delighted with that, as its the main part of the update I'm looking forward to, other than the new design.

Yeah, Handoff needs to know your proximity to work, but SMS and phone calls don’t. The whole point of both of them is that your phone could be charging in another room but you can still use it to make a call or send texts using your Mac or iPad.

Yeah, Handoff needs to know your proximity to work, but SMS and phone calls don’t. The whole point of both of them is that your phone could be charging in another room but you can still use it to make a call or send texts using your Mac or iPad.

I had originally though that too, but then I found it weird that the Mac could be ringing at home while your out of the house. Same with the iPad. Or do they both need to be on the same wifi network. It's mainly for SMS sync anyway.

Thanks for the info SadProf, helpful as always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Mars Bar wrote: »
    No i didn't to be honest

Mine seems to have sorted itself out now as well. i was getting worried for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭shanec1928

anyone who installed over the beta is your feedback assistant still in the dock?

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

shanec1928 wrote: »
    anyone who installed over the beta is your feedback assistant still in the dock?

Yes, mine is.

I had originally though that too, but then I found it weird that the Mac could be ringing at home while your out of the house. Same with the iPad. Or do they both need to be on the same wifi network. It's mainly for SMS sync anyway.

Thanks for the info SadProf, helpful as always.

Yeah, they both have to be on the same WiFi network. Not sure if there’s any WiFi requirements, like WiFi Direct. Apple have been vague on the requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

Took mine off.

Have installed Yosemite over Mavericks on my main computer. I have a small partition with Yosemite Beta and installed the Full Yosemite on that as well. Just use that for messing.

I have a mid 2007 Mac as well, Yosemite installed perfectly.

Just a late 2010 MBP to go. Hope the battery life will improve

All the installations went well.

Lost some icons in the menu ie Bluetooth and Garmin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

I downloaded Yosemite onto my MacBook Air 2013. It was painless downloaded in less than an hour. So far so good still getting used to it I set it up with my iPhone and when I got a call it came up on the screen on the mac so I think that's a fairly cool feature to have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,040 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

2011 Macbook Pro 2.7 with 8 gig memory.

To me it appears to be running slowly, and i lost Apple TV. Safari is also a mess, it doesn't want to search and it has lots of overlapping tabs.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Downloaded and installed over night.

Typical, the one feature I wanted, handoff, doesn't really work with my 2010 iMac, the sms and phonecall feature in particular! :(

Sickened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

eeloe wrote: »

Typical, the one feature I wanted, handoff, doesn't really work with my 2010 iMac, the sms and phonecall feature in particular! :(

Sickened
    The sms and phonecall feature should work, it'll just be the handoff that doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

SMS and phone call will work with 8.1 on Monday. They worked great in the betas of 8.0 on my late 08 machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Phone calls work, SMS relay doesn't yet.

Anyone got any idea how I activate it?

System prefs -> General -> Allow handoff

System prefs -> iCloud -> Ensure you're signed in

Open Facetime -> Preferences -> Allow iPhone calls

on iOS8
    Settings -> General -> Handoff & Suggested apps -> Toggle handoff to on

__
    Make sure bluetooth and wifi are on for both devices
    Make sure you're signed in to iCloud on both devices

Okay, do I need to connect the two devices over Bluetooth?

Nope, there's no need to try and pair the devices or anything like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

eeloe wrote: »

Sickened

On a similar note, I was looking forward to getting AirPlay working between my iPad Air and my MacBook Pro. Unfortunately my MacBook is late 2011 and isn't compatible :( Anyone know if the coming update will help there?

Advertisement