Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OS X 10.10 Yosemite

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Running the latest version of the Public Beta, have just downloaded the final release. No update available so might just install from the official download. Don't think it should cause any problems.

DubDJ wrote: »
    Running the latest version of the Public Beta, have just downloaded the final release. No update available so might just install from the official download. Don't think it should cause any problems.

Have my HD partitioned , so I download it over Mavericks or Over the beta version have plenty of room.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Narcissus

Downloaded quick enough and installed in about 20 mins, love the new look, no issues so far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Up and running with Yosemite :D

Didn't bother with any of the betas. Loving the new text, really looks great on the retina screen.

Hand off doesn't seem to be 100% just yet

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

hmm...might give it a skip till tomorrow

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Is it worth installing it on a Core 2 Duo 2Ghz iMac (4gb RAM)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Got it installed. Like the general look. Don't think I like the font change (Lucida Grande -> Helvetica Neue). Looks too dense to me at smaller sizes.

Googling 'Yosemite font', his article says the same thing:
    Why Apple's New Font Won't Work On Your Desktop

I was running the public beta and just downloaded from the MAS and installed that way. It took a while and started up with no problems, so you should be able to install it over the beta.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Just doing mine now, very quick so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TommyGun

So far using Yosemite, I like it. It does feel and look different bit its the same. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

anybody who wants or needs to roll back... let me know

It was not easy, but got it done

Just in case.. ;)

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭paulgrogan.eu

Calling out for some advice here!

So I upgraded to Mavericks shortly after it came out and my flawless 2012 MacBookPro went from a dream to a nightmare. Slow, fans running like crazy etc.

I did discover recently a logic board issue, but since replacing that its better, but still not where it used to be.

So, my question! I use this machine to run my business. I use it all day every day and simply cannot afford for it to be the way it is. Has anyone else experienced issues with Mavericks, much like the ones I've discovered many others to have while doing various googling of the issue.

For anyone who has upgraded to Yosemite, does it fix these, is it faster?

Finally, should I upgrade now or steer clear for a little bit!

Lot's of questions I know, but I would be very grateful to hear your comparison stories.

Many thanks

Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

All machines suffer from gradual slowdown after years of accumulating data, installing apps, uninstalling apps, etc. I found that a clean install of Yosemite makes even my 2008 MacBook pro run pretty well. It's the clean install that makes all the difference, and although it might take time to set up again, I think it's worth it in the long run.

An update.

Have downloaded Yosemite

Download Time 52 mins.

Install Time 55 mins.

Download time will depend on the Internet speed you have and Apple Server.

All went well for me.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Had been running the beta versions up until now.

Downloaded the official release last night, installed it over the beta release, no issues at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I've an issue with shutting down since I installed it. After the screen goes dark and it looks like it's going off, I get the dreaded rainbow circle and it stays like that unless I pull the plug.

Maybe it's because of my external drive so I'll check that this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Finding it pretty good so far. Took 8 mins to download on e fibre. If you're on ADSL, maybe leave it over night.

mike_ie wrote: »
    Had been running the beta versions up until now.

Downloaded the official release last night, installed it over the beta release, no issues at all.

Did it the same way. However, I am running both "Mavericks" and "Yosemite" on the same computer .

Can use either now.

Will wait for the bugs to be "ironed out". Looking at Apple Support, several problems showing up in the States.

So far so good nothing here as yet.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Finding it pretty good so far. Took 8 mins to download on e fibre. If you're on ADSL, maybe leave it over night.

Yes, would very much like to have Fibre. My download too k around about the hour. Then I double clicked and left it alone for a time. Came back and all is ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

DubDJ wrote: »
    I was running the public beta and just downloaded from the MAS and installed that way. It took a while and started up with no problems, so you should be able to install it over the beta.

What's your current build number?

I noticed one GUI glitch. When moving a window it turned into coloured block garble!

FourFourFM wrote: »

I'll have to check later when I can get to it.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

FourFourFM wrote: »

I followed the same procedure as DubDJ - started out with build 14A388b, ended up with build 14A389

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I updated too. I'm getting a lot of spinny beach balls.

mike_ie wrote: »
    I followed the same procedure as DubDJ - started out with build 14A388b, ended up with build 14A389

I'd say the build versions should all be the same if downloaded from the AppStore

10.10 (14A389)

There'll be a 10.10.1 fairly quickly I'd suspect though when they start to catch the odd bug the beta programmes may have missed. It's inevitable in a piece of software this complicated.

The beach balls have settled down a good bit now. I like it. It's clean and shiny! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

i'm liking it so far. Took about 25 mins to download on campus in UCD with eduroam. It's nice enough to look at alright.

I'm getting a few frozen tabs in Safari unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Mars Bar wrote: »
    The beach balls have settled down a good bit now. I like it. It's clean and shiny! :)

Did you do anything specific to stop the beach balls or did it just sort itself out. I can't do anything without getting them. Very annoying!

Advertisement