Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Ryder Cup 2014 Thread - No betting talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭gotapaininmy

rrpc wrote: »
    He's a young guy who must have felt very much on his own out there and probably regrets it now. But I think too much is being made of it anyway; how far is it really from fist-pumping or egging on the crowd?

Does he regret it now? Would entirely change my opinion of him if he said he does but from what I've seen, heard and read about him that probably won't happen. It's not far from the fist-pumping and what Poulter does but it's far enough that he crossed the line in my mind. Look back at it, he basically told the home crowd to shut up because they had cheered when Henrik had holed a 20 footer ahead of him, what was he expecting from the home crowd, polite applause? Reed is a particular breed of sportsman that only seems to be come from the states, arrogant beyond reason and lack of respect for opposing fans of the game, see Chris DiMarco and Brookline Tom Lehman for further examples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

Does he regret it now? Would entirely change my opinion of him if he said he does but from what I've seen, heard and read about him that probably won't happen. It's not far from the fist-pumping and what Poulter does but it's far enough that he crossed the line in my mind. Look back at it, he basically told the home crowd to shut up because they had cheered when Henrik had holed a 20 footer ahead of him, what was he expecting from the home crowd, polite applause? Reed is a particular breed of sportsman that only seems to be come from the states, arrogant beyond reason and lack of respect for opposing fans of the game, see Chris DiMarco and Brookline Tom Lehman for further examples.

Disgusting comment made on the 1st to him, worse than anything we've heard over the years on US tour is a huge mitigating factor although I accept not a complete excuse.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Not sure if it was mentioned before (my internet was down all weekend and had limited access) but did you see Reed miss a simple enough putt on Saturday and he bent over holding his knees, shortly after he tried to break his putter. How he didn't break it is beyond me. Now we all get frustrated when putts don't drop but if he had broke it then it would have made a very uncomfortable last few holes for him and Spieth.

I saw that when he missed the putt he kinda leaned on the putter as he was bent over and the shaft flexed, and he's a substantial enough lad to bring all his weight down on the shaft of a putter, would have been interesting/hilarious had it broken!

cairny wrote: »
    Disgusting comment made on the 1st to him, worse than anything we've heard over the years on US tour is a huge mitigating factor although I accept not a complete excuse.

You're dead right, it was a disgusting comment and by all accounts I've heard that guy was thrown out after it. Having said that Reed's bad behaviour happened on the 7th green, that was an hour or more after the first tee, had he held onto it for that long? Maybe he had, I still don't think it excuses it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Not sure if it was mentioned before (my internet was down all weekend and had limited access) but did you see Reed miss a simple enough putt on Saturday and he bent over holding his knees, shortly after he tried to break his putter. How he didn't break it is beyond me. Now we all get frustrated when putts don't drop but if he had broke it then it would have made a very uncomfortable last few holes for him and Spieth.

Reminds me of Ben Crenshaw in 87 v Darcy in Muirfield Village - he broke his putter in anger early in the round and had to use a 3-iron for the rest of the round.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

You're dead right, it was a disgusting comment and by all accounts I've heard that guy was thrown out after it. Having said that Reed's bad behaviour happened on the 7th green, that was an hour or more after the first tee, had he held onto it for that long? Maybe he had, I still don't think it excuses it though.
    By all accounts he did hold on to it, but he's made a bit of an ass of himself before with his 'top five' comment and had to endure a long summer because of it so I kind of add it all together and give him a pass.

We'll see if he can move on from it or not, but I for one will give him the chance to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I missed this comment - what was said?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,354 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

http://www.golfcentraldaily.com/2014/09/video-first-tee-fan-taunts-patrick-reed.html

Video clip is loud for anyone looking in at work - He seems to have a bit of a smile on his face though when it's said. the sort of smile that says : " You aint gonna be smiling when I'm done with you.... "

And he was dead right. If that spectator wanted Reed fired up, then thats certainly what he got. I got no problems with him shushing the crowd. All part of the game and as you can hear from that clip, there were some cheers and some oooooo's and some applause, so the spectator had his supporters

• Registered Users Posts: 20,354 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

SuprSi wrote: »
    I missed this comment - what was said?

The guy shouted "Did you practice your putting Patrick?"

By all accounts he did hold on to it, but he's made a bit of an ass of himself before with his 'top five' comment and had to endure a long summer because of it so I kind of add it all together and give him a pass.

We'll see if he can move on from it or not, but I for one will give him the chance to do it.

He did make an ass of himself with that Top 5 thing (which I think the interviewer kind of walked him into saying to be fair) but he was bang out of order yesterday and he'll be the guy europeans will love to hate now.

• Advertisement

Rikand wrote: »
    The guy shouted "Did you practice your putting Patrick?"

Yes it was a horrible comment, and the guy picked his moment when the crowd had gone quiet. There were a few titters and claps alright immediately when he said it but I think the majority of the crowd weren't happy about it and the silence was kind of deafening a few seconds later. Apparently the guy was thrown out though. I was lucky enough to be at the 04 Ryder Cup in Detroit when a guy with bigger man boobs than monty shouted something to the effect of "I can see your bra through your shirt!" (Monty was sweating a bit) within earshot of several stewards and cops, was he thrown out? Not at all, raucous laughter and high fives for our american "golf fan"

He did make an ass of himself with that Top 5 thing (which I think the interviewer kind of walked him into saying to be fair) but he was bang out of order yesterday and he'll be the guy europeans will love to hate now.

He sure did. I forgave him though the following week when he took the mick out of himself for it.

Can't remember it exactly but a few players were asked a vox pop kind of thing, your favourite player, biggest influence etc. all a set up for Reed who answered 'Patrick Reed' to all the questions.

Well done Paul!

image.jpg

Yes it was a horrible comment, and the guy picked his moment when the crowd had gone quiet. There were a few titters and claps alright immediately when he said it but I think the majority of the crowd weren't happy about it and the silence was kind of deafening a few seconds later. Apparently the guy was thrown out though. I was lucky enough to be at the 04 Ryder Cup in Detroit when a guy with bigger man boobs than monty shouted something to the effect of "I can see your bra through your shirt!" (Monty was sweating a bit) within earshot of several stewards and cops, was he thrown out? Not at all, raucous laughter and high fives for our american "golf fan"

The putting comment is far worse though imho, he had missed a short putt the day before.

He sure did. I forgave him though the following week when he took the mick out of himself for it.

Can't remember it exactly but a few players were asked a vox pop kind of thing, your favourite player, biggest influence etc. all a set up for Reed who answered 'Patrick Reed' to all the questions.

He took the mick out of himself for it did he? I missed that, sorry Patrick!

The putting comment is far worse though imho, he had missed a short putt the day before.
    A couple of makeable ones if I remember correctly. Himself and Spieth were victims of their own success in the fourballs I think. Since they finished both their matches 5 & 4 and 5 & 3, they had very little experience of the closing four holes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

He's very young to be writing off like that. Sure he folded to the pressure but McDowell is a hard man to play as he makes very few mistakes and always puts himself in with a shout of a birdie or two. Spieth's not the finished article yet, but you'd hardly expect that at his age. At least Spieth has already got a better record than a lot of the USA big names and can only improve.

Ah yeah well I am pretty sure that he will win a major, although if he keeps putting himself in contention and then falling apart on the back 9 when the pressure comes on more and more people will start asking questions about his temperament. I do hope he gets it done sooner rather than later, definitely one of the more likeable and exciting players on tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 self3137

What do you think of the ages of the US Ryder Cup Captain / Vice Captains ? Were they too old at 65, 64, 72 and the youngest at 47 ?

The Europeans were spring chickens compared to them !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I liked seeing him get all fired up - he showed lots of passion and it was clear he was pumped, I just didn't like him shushing the crowd. This wasn't a football game, the crowd were hardly giving him grief and as I said previously he'll be remembered as the lad who shushed the crowd!

Having said that, the comment from the guy in the crowd was completely uncalled for.

Well done Paul!

image.jpg

McGinley was doling out the man love everywhere yesterday it seems!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

It was a very unfortunate and classless comment and was maybe the only black mark against the whole Gleneagles event. I hope the twit who shouted it is suitably ashamed of himself.
    I didn't begrudge Reed his moment after and while he might have been a bit more confrontational than necessary, he was following in a pretty long line of such moments -from players on both sides - over the years.
    But Reed should learn to control his emotions - not because of spectators but because he shouldn't let himself get distracted. A bit of Ryder Cup theatre is fine but how many of the "passionate" types that we have all loved (or hated) in the RC have won majors?

I was at Brookline where it got quite nasty with some fans and some of the marshalls were part of the problem. Yesterday's incident was regrettable but thankfully is a rarity on this side of the pond.

self3137 wrote: »
    What do you think of the ages of the US Ryder Cup Captain / Vice Captains ? Were they too old at 65, 64, 72 and the youngest at 47 ?

The Europeans were spring chickens compared to them !!

Who were the vice captains for the US? I don't remember seeing any of them on screen. It seems to have been the case though, Watson was to old school in his approach "I'm the captain, I pick the team, you go and play". Seems guys like Mickelson need their ego massaged before they'll try to win a point for their side.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 self3137

Who were the vice captains for the US? I don't remember seeing any of them on screen. It seems to have been the case though, Watson was to old school in his approach "I'm the captain, I pick the team, you go and play". Seems guys like Mickelson need their ego massaged before they'll try to win a pint for their side.

Ray Flyod 72, Andy North 65, Steve Stricker 47 only 3 and far too old in my opinion.

First Up wrote: »
    It was a very unfortunate and classless comment and was maybe the only black mark against the whole Gleneagles event. I hope the twit who shouted it is suitably ashamed of himself.
    I didn't begrudge Reed his moment after and while he might have been a bit more confrontational than necessary, he was following in a pretty long line of such moments -from players on both sides - over the years.
    But Reed should learn to control his emotions - not because of spectators but because he shouldn't let himself get distracted. A bit of Ryder Cup theatre is fine but how many of the "passionate" types that we have all loved (or hated) in the RC have won majors?

Can someone give me an example of where another player has told the opposing crowd to shut up? Poulters antics are always directed towards his own fans or team mates, even DiMarco's rabble rousing was always toward his own fans. I genuinely can't think of another exmaple of such poor etiquette by a player (apart from the Brookline stampede)

self3137 wrote: »
    Ray Flyod 72, Andy North 65, Steve Stricker 47 only 3 and far too old in my opinion.

Oh right, I saw Andy North there but i thought he was there with TV or something. Andy North?! What connection has he with the players nowadays, same could be said for Floyd. Steve Stricker ok is still playing on the tour a bit but I would be surprised if the likes of Jordan Spieth or my buddy Patrick Reed could have picked Andy North out of a lineup before the Ryder Cup!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,138 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

you respect your opponent, you respect the game, Reed showed none yesterday.
    Did he disrespect his opponent or the game?
    I dont think so, he did the equivalent of a fist pump really, against a partisan crowd. I dont see much of an issue if at all.

GreeBo wrote: »
    I dont think so, he did the equivalent of a fist pump really, against a partisan crowd. I dont see much of an issue if at all.

Ok I was generalising there, I don't think he disrespected Stenson but he did direspect the game imo. I play a lot of inter club golf so my equivalent of playing in the Ryder Cup would be playing in the All-Ireland Cups and Shields, would it be ok for me to shush the opposing crowd in this case? I don't think so. Would a fist pump be ok? Probably not in the best spirit of the game but excusable.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,138 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Ok I was generalising there, I don't think he disrespected Stenson but he did direspect the game imo. I play a lot of inter club golf so my equivalent of playing in the Ryder Cup would be playing in the All-Ireland Cups and Shields, would it be ok for me to shush the opposing crowd in this case? I don't think so. Would a fist pump be ok? Probably not in the best spirit of the game but excusable.

Such disrespect!
    ChiChi2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I think it was all in good spirit and carnival atmosphere. The gallery wasn't really booing him - just teasing him a bit for getting so worked up. Most people I saw were laughing. And that was the end of it.

It was very different at Brookline, where there was real animosity as well as some general heckling of the European players. I know a guy who is a member at Brookline (he was was a marshall on the Saturday) and he told me that the club was absolutely mortified at some of the behaviour that occurred on their premises. They are still living it down.

• Advertisement

Such disrespect!
    ChiChi2.jpg

That's Chi Chi Rodriguez is it? I don't get the reference?

Advertisement