Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Ryder Cup 2014 Thread - No betting talk

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Here's The Golf Chanel's Brandel Chamblee's take on the US team:

“If you’re looking for a reason why the United States continues to lose, you just saw it in one man. Phil Mickelson. Phil Mickelson, along with the best players of that era, have so corrupted the experience of the Ryder Cup for their fellow competitors by not having records anywhere near what they should, given their rank in the game.

“Players of an era who are the best go to the Ryder Cup and show off. And not goof off. Phil Mickelson in 2004 changed clubs at the Ryder Cup the week of. And the day before, he went to practice to another golf course. This is yet another example of not coming together as a team.

“He and Tiger had a disconnect in 2004. They refused to come together and play better. Yet every great player had played with the next great player. Jack Nicklaus played with Arnold Palmer. Seve Ballesteros played with Jose Maria Olazabal. Nick Faldo played with Ian Woosnam. They all succeeded. Jack played with Tom Weiskopf and on down the line.

“Hal Sutton [’04 captain] got maligned for pairing Tiger Woods with Phil Mickelson. Why? The whole world wants to see the two best players play together. And they should have steamrolled everybody the way Rory McIlroy steamrolled today. That’s how they should have played. If you’re looking for a reason the U.S. loses, you can beat around the bush all you want. You just saw it.”

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭gotapaininmy

rrpc wrote: »
    Here's The Golf Chanel's Brandel Chamblee's take on the US team:

“If you’re looking for a reason why the United States continues to lose, you just saw it in one man. Phil Mickelson. Phil Mickelson, along with the best players of that era, have so corrupted the experience of the Ryder Cup for their fellow competitors by not having records anywhere near what they should, given their rank in the game.

“Players of an era who are the best go to the Ryder Cup and show off. And not goof off. Phil Mickelson in 2004 changed clubs at the Ryder Cup the week of. And the day before, he went to practice to another golf course. This is yet another example of not coming together as a team.

“He and Tiger had a disconnect in 2004. They refused to come together and play better. Yet every great player had played with the next great player. Jack Nicklaus played with Arnold Palmer. Seve Ballesteros played with Jose Maria Olazabal. Nick Faldo played with Ian Woosnam. They all succeeded. Jack played with Tom Weiskopf and on down the line.

“Hal Sutton [’04 captain] got maligned for pairing Tiger Woods with Phil Mickelson. Why? The whole world wants to see the two best players play together. And they should have steamrolled everybody the way Rory McIlroy steamrolled today. That’s how they should have played. If you’re looking for a reason the U.S. loses, you can beat around the bush all you want. You just saw it.”

I saw that online, pretty hard hitting from Chamblee. Lot of truth in what he said though, Problem is that Watson dented Phil's ego and Phil's ego depsite the "nice guy" facade is huge. I read a book written by a caddie whose name escapes me now who said that Mickelson's nickname on tour was FIGJAM (F**k I'm Good Just Ask Me).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,352 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

world number 1 and world number 3 were paired together and slow to start in this, but once they got going.....

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

I think McGinley, hoped that Gallacher and Poulter would feed off the supporters. He stated that he'd already paired Victor and Gmac together long before the end of the season. But with Gallacher being such a late pick he didn't get a chance to pair him up. The main reason he was paired with Poulter, was that poulter was ment to shepard him around. But I believe both didn't play too well.

Ben1977 wrote: »
    I think McGinley, hoped that Gallacher and Poulter would feed off the supporters. He stated that he'd already paired Victor and Gmac together long before the end of the season. But with Gallacher being such a late pick he didn't get a chance to pair him up. The main reason he was paired with Poulter, was that poulter was ment to shepard him around. But I believe both didn't play too well.

Gallacher played slightly better than poulter imo. But yes, neither played all that well.

Stevie G just got a bit nervous and excited I guess. Understandable of course and Poulter is just used to having a better foil, like he had with Rory in Medinah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Can't help but feel that Phils chances of a future captaincy, say 2018 or 2020, have taken a bit of a pounding after yesterday.

I recall the PGAs line of "we're trying something a little different this time" when they announced Watson as captain, since that didn't work I'm guessing they'll return to the 45-50 year old candidate who's still playing the main tour but whose career is winding down as a competitive force. Steve Stricker could be a good shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

Just looking at the way Jordan Spieth imploded yesterday makes me wonder if he will ever win a major in his career, given his talent I would say he is a nailed on cert to win a few however judging by his temperament I would seriously question his ability to withstand pressure on the back 9 at the Ryder Cup, from what I remember he had similar meltdowns in a couple of majors this year.

He was so relaxed until the turn, then a bit of pressure arrives and he gets angry and starts making bogeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,674 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

slave1 wrote: »
    Did Sky have control of the cameras or were the just receiving from another carrier?

Yes they have full control of the feed .
    Switching between NBC/Golf Channel and Sky ,there was a huge gulf in coverage.

On NBC the yardage to the pin was displayed on most holes and the viewer was told what club the player was using .
    On Sky the yardage was rarely given ,it could have been a wedge or a 5 iron for all we knew.
    NBC also used better camera angles on alot of shots ,they took less ads and at better times .
    They were also very objective and informative .

David Livingstone and Ewen Murray are well past their sell by dates ,full of cliches,exaggerations and downright crass comments.

One thing in particular by Livingstone was out of line.
    Livingstone was talking about Dubuisson's difficult childhood and asking if had he found a new family this week .Tabloid tv coverage at its best .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

geeksauce wrote: »
    Just looking at the way Jordan Spieth imploded yesterday makes me wonder if he will ever win a major in his career, given his talent I would say he is a nailed on cert to win a few however judging by his temperament I would seriously question his ability to withstand pressure on the back 9 at the Ryder Cup, from what I remember he had similar meltdowns in a couple of majors this year.

He was so relaxed until the turn, then a bit of pressure arrives and he gets angry and starts making bogeys.

Ah c'mon he's 21, remember another 21 y old that blew a big lead in Apr 2011? he's done ok since.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

He's only 21. He will win multiple majors. Guaranteed.

• Advertisement

He's very young to be writing off like that. Sure he folded to the pressure but McDowell is a hard man to play as he makes very few mistakes and always puts himself in with a shout of a birdie or two. Spieth's not the finished article yet, but you'd hardly expect that at his age. At least Spieth has already got a better record than a lot of the USA big names and can only improve.

Yes they have full control of the feed .
    Switching between NBC/Golf Channel and Sky ,there was a huge gulf in coverage.

David Livingstone and Ewen Murray are well past their sell by dates ,full of cliches,exaggerations and downright crass comments.

One thing in particular by Livingstone was out of line.
    Livingstone was talking about Dubuisson's difficult childhood and asking if had he found a new family this week .Tabloid tv coverage at its best .

Totally agree, what the hell was Livingstone going on about?? Murray says the same old thing in every broadcast " great player and a fine young man" blah blah blah

It absolutely was an implosion, it wasn't as if McDowell was throwing birdie after birdie at him, he won a lot of holes with par. I'd tend to agree with other posters though, he is only 21 and is abviously hugely talented and at least he's not a repugnant character like Reed. He must have some scar mental scar tissue from this year though with what happened at the Masters, Players and yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭stitcheddepin

add hunter Mahan to the mix of bottlers aswell, his ryder cup confidence must be pretty low, gifted rose a half on 18

It absolutely was an implosion, it wasn't as if McDowell was throwing birdie after birdie at him, he won a lot of holes with par. I'd tend to agree with other posters though, he is only 21 and is abviously hugely talented and at least he's not a repugnant character like Reed. He must have some scar mental scar tissue from this year though with what happened at the Masters, Players and yesterday.

You've got an awful lot of hate built up inside you....

Totally agree, what the hell was Livingstone going on about?? Murray says the same old thing in every broadcast " great player and a fine young man" blah blah blah

Another thing that irritates me about Sky is that none of the "experts" will say anything controversial or what some people might call honest. If what that Scottish fan shouted at Patrick Reed on the first tee was out of order then what Reed did on the 7th green was equally bad, sure Poulter overdoes the celebrations but he never told the opposition crowd to shut up which is what Reed did. Then Butch, Monty and the boys say it's good to see that kind of "passion"!!?!?! I would never want my kid to think that what Reed did was ok because he's passionate, the guy has no class full stop. The worst thing that happended was Henrik missing that putt to give Reed the win.

Rikand wrote: »
    You've got an awful lot of hate built up inside you....

For Reed? Yes

He showed a lot more team spirit and heart than his more illustrious team mates. He was out closely supporting Patrick Reed when his match was finished and didn't seem scarred in the least. The youngsters seemed to get the point of the Ryder Cup and need to be kept away from their more jaded team members.

The funny thing about Phil's outburst about Paul Azinger is that Azinger adopted the 'pod' approach because he saw that there was no team spirit amongst the USA team members and used it as a method to overcome that disconnect. Is Phil so stupid that he still hasn't learned that lesson? It's kind of ironic that he was using it as a stick to beat Watson when the stick was made for his own back.

He showed a lot more team spirit and heart than his more illustrious team mates. He was out closely supporting Patrick Reed when his match was finished and didn't seem scarred in the least. The youngsters seemed to get the point of the Ryder Cup and need to be kept away from their more jaded team members.

The funny thing about Phil's outburst about Paul Azinger is that Azinger adopted the 'pod' approach because he saw that there was no team spirit amongst the USA team members and used it as a method to overcome that disconnect. Is Phil so stupid that he still hasn't learned that lesson? It's kind of ironic that he was using it as a stick to beat Watson when the stick was made for his own back.

I'd agree with you there, the US team would be better off without the likes of Mickelson, Furyk and dare I say TW. Look at Keegan Bradley, a young guy in his 2nd Ryder Cup and he looks broken already.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,674 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The funny thing about Phil's outburst about Paul Azinger is that Azinger adopted the 'pod' approach because he saw that there was no team spirit amongst the USA team members

What I find strange is that alot of the American golfers have gone to college and played on intervarsity teams so they should be be used to team events .:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭G1032

Another thing that irritates me about Sky is that none of the "experts" will say anything controversial or what some people might call honest. If what that Scottish fan shouted at Patrick Reed on the first tee was out of order then what Reed did on the 7th green was equally bad, sure Poulter overdoes the celebrations but he never told the opposition crowd to shut up which is what Reed did. Then Butch, Monty and the boys say it's good to see that kind of "passion"!!?!?! I would never want my kid to think that what Reed did was ok because he's passionate, the guy has no class full stop. The worst thing that happended was Henrik missing that putt to give Reed the win.

Hear hear. Boo Weekly only trotting after him.

What I find strange is that alot of the American golfers have gone to college and played on intervarsity teams so they should be be used to team events .:confused:

That was discussed on the TV yesterday, was it when Nicklaus was on? University golf used to be predominantly stroke play, still a team but individual scores added together, they've introduced more matchplay recently in an effort to produce better match play golfers. The funny thing is that the yanks can't help themselves, even at "team" events there still has to be an award for the outstanding individual which surely contradicts the whole idea of "team" golf?

G1032 wrote: »
    Hear hear. Boo Weekly only trotting after him.

yes Boo was inciting his own fans at least and I personally thought the whole "riding the golf club thing" was funny however out of keeping with the ethos of the game it was. Maybe we need to stop looking at the Ryder Cup as primarily about golf and that it's more entertainment than golf now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

For Reed? Yes

I didnt like Reed after his top 5 comment at the Cadillac in March, but have to say that I have a great fondness for him since yesterday.

Id say his agent loved that, his profile has soared.

Lets not forget that Reed scored 3.5 points out of a possible 4. You cant deny he was quality throughout.

future major winner for sure.

I didnt like Reed after his top 5 comment at the Cadillac in March, but have to say that I have a great fondness for him since yesterday.

Lets not forget that Reed scored 3.5 points out of a possible 4. You cant deny he was quality throughout.

I likewise. I found myself warming to him when, regardless of how poorly he was doing in some of the FedEx matches, he'd throw his body at shots to try and get out of trouble. He struck me as a guy who wouldn't give up trying and even though at times he was on his knees with despair at missed putts, he was getting back on his feet and fighting on.

He just showed more balls and determination than any of us would have credited him with and along with the other two so-called 'rookies' can be proud of his contribution; they topped the points list for the USA after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Wouldn't be so sure about that. Majors test the mental side of the game as much as the physical/skills side of it. They usually gobble up hot headed types like Reed.

There's no denying his talent but does the fact that he plays good golf and trys hard excuse behaving the way he did yesterday on the 7th green? I don't think so, call me old-fashioned, stuffy or worse but that has no part in the game I grew up playing and want my kids to grow up playing, you respect your opponent, you respect the game, Reed showed none yesterday.

There's no denying his talent but does the fact that he plays good golf and trys hard excuse behaving the way he did yesterday on the 7th green? I don't think so, call me old-fashioned, stuffy or worse but that has no part in the game I grew up playing and want my kids to grow up playing, you respect your opponent, you respect the game, Reed showed none yesterday.
    He's a young guy who must have felt very much on his own out there and probably regrets it now. But I think too much is being made of it anyway; how far is it really from fist-pumping or egging on the crowd?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Not sure if it was mentioned before (my internet was down all weekend and had limited access) but did you see Reed miss a simple enough putt on Saturday and he bent over holding his knees, shortly after he tried to break his putter. How he didn't break it is beyond me. Now we all get frustrated when putts don't drop but if he had broke it then it would have made a very uncomfortable last few holes for him and Spieth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

First Up wrote: »
    Wouldn't be so sure about that. Majors test the mental side of the game as much as the physical/skills side of it. They usually gobble up hot headed types like Reed.

One word. Bubba.

Advertisement