Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marmotte 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

Bloggsie wrote: »
    Is Mrs Stynes not doing it as well?

No def not! She cycles in the good weather during the summer months just!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    Yeah. I've watched it about 10 times now!

Your in trouble so! I watched it once and did the marmotte 3 times! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

No def not! She cycles in the good weather during the summer months just!
    The sun always shines in France!

Hope you really enjoy your day, I have enjoyed reading yours and the others who have done it or plan to do so.

Disaster. My SIDIs don't fit me! They sort of fit me. But for that money I want shoes to fit perfectly. My cheap 60 quid Shimanos are a better fit on me ffs so I have decided to bring them back on monday. Devastated. I wanted them to fit so badly too. They are too wide at the top of the foot. Had to up a size at the toe but that obviously means the rest of the shoe is too big now. What other options do you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

Disaster. My SIDIs don't fit me! They sort of fit me. But for that money I want shoes to fit perfectly. My cheap 60 quid Shimanos are a better fit on me ffs so I have decided to bring them back on monday. Devastated. I wanted them to fit so badly too. They are too wide at the top of the foot. Had to up a size at the toe but that obviously means the rest of the shoe is too big now. What other options do you recommend?

I had Sidi for years but went with these badass shoes :p
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/northwave-extreme-tech-road-shoes/rp-prod112011

actually quite happy with them, except they are neither white nor black (got the black/white/red ones) so the 'sock rules' :rolleyes: are hard to follow now!

On a serious note though...I think Sidi make their shoes in different width-fits? You might get the same shoes but in a more narrow fit probably?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 marathon50

Tunnel on decent of Galibier closed with road works and will not reopen until mid July
    no other way around so the Marmotte 2015 will be a new route which will be announced
    next week.

No way!! Any links for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭decrrrrrr

A quick search found it! Surely they won't change too much? I would be gutted if I didn't get to go up the Galibier!

*Edit: Going by reports it's looking like Galibier is out now! Going to have to try find a new route! Disaster.

Fancy climbing it on the Sunday, Andy? haha

A quick search found it! Surely they won't change too much? I would be gutted if I didn't get to go up the Galibier!

*Edit: Going by reports it's looking like Galibier is out now! Going to have to try find a new route! Disaster.

Fancy climbing it on the Sunday, Andy? haha

wow! jeez I wonder if there is some way round. Possibly they will let us climb it and then turn left on the way down at that hotel thing....brings ye down another long climb but probably waaaaay off in the wrong direction. must get a look on the map now - if it was off in the wrong direction that'd make it too long a day and might not even be a way round back to alpe d'huez.
    dammit!!! :(

EDIT - nah that left brings ye down to Briancon, so it'd be like a billion km's by the time ye'd hook back around through Gap etc. not a runner, unless maybe they started at the base of Telegraphe or something?

• Advertisement

One of routes that are coming up on another forum. After decent of Glandon you would do the
    Col de Madeliene followed by the Col de la Croix de Fer then back down the Glandon to Bourg to finish as usual on top of Alpe D Huez. On paper looks quiet hard.

I have no clue how far it is away from where we are staying (In Alpe D'Huez itself) but if there was the slightest possibility of me being fresh enough to climb the Galibier the day after the event is it even logistically possible to do it? Or is it a million miles away and would it require a day on the bike!

I have no clue how far it is away from where we are staying (In Alpe D'Huez itself) but if there was the slightest possibility of me being fresh enough to climb the Galibier the day after the event is it even logistically possible to do it? Or is it a million miles away and would it require a day on the bike!

If the tunnel is closed, no, you won't be able to do it. you could drive to Valloire (about 100k) via the Glandon and Telegraph (the original Marmotte route) , then once you cycle to the summit of the Galibier, you'd have to turn around and descend back to Valloire and drive back to the alpe. That's a 200k round trip!

Anyway, no you won't be fresh enough the following day :)

07Lapierre wrote: »
    If the tunnel is closed, no, you won't be able to do it. you could drive to Valloire (about 100k) via the Glandon and Telegraph (the original Marmotte route) , then once you cycle to the summit of the Galibier, you'd have to turn around and descend back to Valloire and drive back to the alpe. That's a 200k round trip!

Anyway, no you won't be fresh enough the following day :)

Fair enough. That finishes any thoughts of being able to do the galibier then! I hope this doesn't spoil the trip. At least I will still be able to give the Alpe D'Huez a go.

Fair enough. That finishes any thoughts of being able to do the galibier then! I hope this doesn't spoil the trip. At least I will still be able to give the Alpe D'Huez a go.

it'll be epic! whatever route is chosen, I'm sure it'll be just as challenging!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Update here
    Staying 16k above it for the Etape! Could be a problem.
    Touch and go if it will be open, but you would think for the TDF they will get it done. On the eastern side of the Tourmalet there were huge chunks of road destroyed in winter 2013 and they were all rebuilt in time for the tour last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Where did you guys here about this? I got an email from our hotel, but the english wasn't great so I'm frickin brickin' it now that the road closure is between bourg and our hotel...

Anyone got a map link to where exactly the closure is?

fat bloke wrote: »
    Anyone got a map link to where exactly the closure is?

as far as I know, it's one of these tunnels....

45.045784, 6.328546 (paste that into maps.google.ie and switch to street view)

they are quite long tunnels, there's at least two I remember anyways.

edit - this seems to be it:
    http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/web/Traffic/Traffic_info-La_Grave-05320-Hautes_Alpes-France?strLocid=31NDI2eW8xMGNORFV1TURRMU1UZz1jTmk0ek1EWTFNdz09

:( disaster. The Grand tunnel du Chambon is closed and it's slap bang between our hotel and Bourg. The alternative route is a four day camel ride :(:(

Fcuk.

• Advertisement

Anyone staying Galibier side of the tunnel need not worry they are running a boat to ferry
    people around the tunnel. One of the hotels have it running through the early morning on
    on the day of the Marmotte to ferry their guest to far side of tunnel. I would be sure that
    they will have this available for everyone as there would be a huge amount of cyclists
    in the same (dare I say) boat.

Took the proactive route. Hotel was bordering on uncomfortably far away anyway. So I cancelled it and found a place doing campervans. Were going to have to rent a big vehicle anyway to carry all the bikes and wasn't entirely sure what we'd do with our bike boxes. This yoke will carry the lot and take care of our accomodation to boot.

We'll get there early and park on the start/finish line! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Away at the mo and really bad wi-fi s can't seem to connect to Sportcommunication site.

So is the Galibier climb out?

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Away at the mo and really bad wi-fi s can't seem to connect to Sportcommunication site.

So is the Galibier climb out?

not clear yet - I typed the wording from the graphic on their site into google and it comes out like this:

P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; } following the ongoing work in the tunnel,
    the road is currently inaccessible and should
    be closed to traffic until mid July.
    In this hypothesis , marmotte offers a
    change of its course as always with the
    most beautiful passes and x and y and
    laces legendary Alpe d'Huez.
    A little patience and we will give you
    the details of this variant of original
    unpublished parcoours.
    The fans will not be disappointed .

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭uphillonly

They could do this route, Glandon, Mollard, Croix de Fer & add on Alpe.

http://bike-oisans.com/noesit/!/fiche/la-boucle-des-cols-265944

I did it a few years ago as pre-Marmotte training. It was 3,600m climbing without the Alp.

uphillonly wrote: »
    They could do this route, Glandon, Mollard, Croix de Fer & add on Alpe.

http://bike-oisans.com/noesit/!/fiche/la-boucle-des-cols-265944

I did it a few years ago as pre-Marmotte training. It was 3,600m climbing without the Alp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqK9s1epBqw

The Croix de fer looks class!! I am gutted about the galibier and it will definitely take the shine off it a bit not having a proper La Marmotte time to try and beat in the future. On the other hand, I am going to the Alps for 4 nights with nothing else to worry about other than cycling!! Cycling Alp D'Heuz! I am sure it will still be amazing.

Also, my wife said I could do the Haute Route Pryenees next year. I didn't explain to her what it was but she said yes. I think she thinks its a one day cycle event in Ireland haha

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭uphillonly

Also, my wife said I could do the Haute Route Pryenees next year. I didn't explain to her what it was but she said yes.

Get that in writing.

Should be a fantastic event. I did Haute Route Alps two years ago, one of the best & hardest cycling experiences of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

The notice states that the tunnel is closed to traffic until mid-July and that a new route taking in the Oisons, the Maurienne Valley and the legendary bends of the Alpe DHuez will be proposed. It also states that the route to Col de Lautaret is actually inaccessible. I know the roads in the area and this means the Telegraph and Glaibier will probably be not on any revised route as there is no other way back to Bourg D'Oisans. If you are staying in places like La Grave or Briancon then you could be in trouble.

uphillonly wrote: »
    Get that in writing.

Should be a fantastic event. I did Haute Route Alps two years ago, one of the best & hardest cycling experiences of my life.

I must get that in writing and get a solicitor to check over it!!

The pyrenees one is the only one that I can do as the other two are too late in the summer to suit my work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Kyran7

Hi Guys,
    Any update on the new route yet?

Thanks

Advertisement