Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marmotte 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Before you do anything the best way to check is to ride hills. Of course we don't have the climbs that will face you in France but try something like the Wicklow Gap, Slieve Mann or Shay Elliott or those types of hills.

What is your cadence like on those climbs. Are you constantly getting out of the saddle to force the pedals around? Bear in mind that whatever you can do over here will be reduced as you go through the Marmotte and especially on Alpe so if you are crawling up Cruagh Road, pushing 50rpm then your gearing needs to be changed.

If you have a compact already (50/34) then you at least only need to look at the cassette and possible the long cage RD. If you are on a standard (53/39) then I would look at changing to a compact. I changed over years ago and have never put back the standard. Unless you are racing then I don't think you will notice any negative impact with the compact.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

I have a compact on the front. Last year the Dragon Sportive was the first mountainous sportive I tried. I had an 11-25 on the back and Mt. Leinster nearly killed me. A couple of young wans "span" past me on the climb as I was grinding to practically stand still. They had 11-32s on the back (I'm pretty sure that was what they had anyway-I couldn't catch them on the climb and if I could have I wouldn't have been able to speak to them anyway).

I got an 11-28 on the back shortly afterwards and it made a huge difference as I worked on my climbing last Summer. My LBS guy who I trust about such things advised me at the time that I'd need a longer rear dérailleur to put anything bigger than a 28 on the back and for what I was planning to do in Ireland wouldn't really need anything bigger.

When I decided to do the Marmotte I got his advice again. Everything I read online says go for the biggest gear on the back you can. With my compact that meant fitting a longer rear derailleur and an 11-32. He advised against the triple. New shifters, not much additional benefit either, basically his advice was, it could be done, but it'd be expensive for not a lot of benefit. So a couple of weeks ago I had him fit an 11-32, new compact chain-rings, (the old ones were worn), a new chain, and a longer rear derailleur. He also talked me into new wheels, I went for Campy Sciroccos, not high end expensive but a good upgrade on the standard ones the bike came with and my old wheel's rear hub was playing up. I also got new tyres, Michein PRo 4s, expensive, but I had previously been impressed with the durability of a pair I picked up after a puncture in France last year. I took his advice against 28mm tyres, he's done the Marmotte and the main benefit of 28mm tyres is comfort and he didn't think I 'd notice any benefit. The better road surface in France will give a bigger comfort upgrade was his view.

So new wheels, new derailleur, new cassette, new chain-rings, new gear shifter cable, new tyres (and tubes) set me back about €550. More than half the value of my bike, but I've noticed a big difference. The wheels are making a massive difference and I'm almost never using the 32 so far, but it's great to know it's there and I know it'll get plenty of use on the Marmotte.

Rb

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

I have a bike rented and it is a 50/34 11/32. After going up the climbs in Tenerife I will be going with the most gears I can find! I had 52/36 and 11-32, which is close enough to a compact 11-28 if I am right? I could have been doing with some more gears at one stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

just wondering from people that did this in the past....ye'know this start time business where the first group are off at 7am, but the last group are off at 07:50hrs.
    I'm in that late group :(

So, in the etpe a couple of years back, everyone was lined up on one big wide road, separated by barriers, so if ye wanted to, ye could just hop over and get out with the group in front. Is it the same with Marmotte, or are you lined up on a completely different road in towards the start, so you are totally separated?

Just that last night I did up a bit of a spreadsheet - broke the course down to the various 'sectors', and then with my estimated avg speeds over the 'actual climbs', 'slight inclines' and the 'downhill bits'*, and well....I'm looking at coming to the finish at about 6:15pm (race closes at 6:15pm according to their website), and that's assuming no delays being caught behind a crash (like they shut down Alpe d'Huez a couple of years ago when I was driving up, and we had to wait while some poor chap was being air lifted out), or being in a crash myself, or getting a mechanical issue or puncture(s) etc etc....

Starting at 7am would give me nearly an hour to 'play' with if I could hop the barriers. if not possible due to separate streets lined up, then I'll see if I can get/swap a lower number for the start somehow :)

*times based on several visits to Alps, and stats from 152km etape 2012 so I think I'm fairly on the ball with the estimate (included 'break' times in there also of course). Just didn't factor in the 8000+ start number I was given when I decided to enter it! :)

I can always just train harder of course, but still....pain in the ass being off in the last group and always thinking of time limits if something went wrong.

thanks!

The race doesn't close at 6.15pm. That relates to the cut off at the bottom of Alpe D'Huez. They can't stop you for going on but they take the timing chip off you. So in effect, even starting at 7.50, you have 10 hours to get to bottom of the alpe. If it takes you that long then it would take another 3 hours to climb Alpe so finishing around 9.30pm. The last 7.50 start group finisher in 2013, came in at just shy of 13 hours.

If time is a worry for you, the first place to start is of course the training! Next though is the food stops. These can really add significant time to the overall and you need to look at how you can minimise this 'lost' time. On such a cycle, rest stops are required but don't let them eat up too much time.

I wouldn't worry about it, be to much wasted effort. Save your energies for the cycle itself.

In my experience, they are pretty strict with the starting numbers are getting into the correct pens.

They have the starting town closed off, with different routes towards the start line for each group. So the first group get filtered into a different pen then the second and last (the group you are in). There are barriers at the top of each pen.

Would it be possible to jump the barriers, probably yeah. They do have marshalls in the start town who do seem fairly watchful about which pen you are filtered into, and I've seen them turn plenty of guys back, but once in the pen I suppose if you want to move up then there really is not a lot they can do. There is a gap between the pens, so it would mean jumping over the barrier and getting across.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

Leroy42 wrote: »

Thanks man! wasn't sure what the setup might be like, and thought they might feed people into the town on separate streets for example.

That's great about the cutoff time for the base of Alpe d'Huez....I misunderstood that to being a 'race end' time somehow! :o

Allowing for breaks (like you mentioned, the time can slip away from you quickly...by the time you find a spot for yer bike, queue for and eat some food, use the loo...10mins would pass quick enough!), I should hit the base of Huez for about 4:50pm, so that's well inside the cutoff.
    Also, I'm leaning on the side of caution with the expected avg speeds - I climbed about 12km/h on l'etape, but I put in for about 10km/h expected on this because that Glandon I think was fairly severe and the second part of Galibier is a killer, (and it's straight after the Telegraphe etc., so I guessed I'd be more tired than before), and so went with 10km/h estimate for climbing. If I up'd that to even a modest 11km/h avg I'd be on Alpe d'Huez 4:15 or so latest.
    of course, that's not rocket science accuracy, I'm just playing with rough figures in a spreadsheet, but I'd be in or around that kinda time I think :)

Anyhoo - thanks for all the advice and tips, much appreciated!! :)

My mates sent a fake report into the local newspaper about me and it got printed! Went to Tenerife a few weeks back and went cycling a couple of the days and put a few photos on Facebook. Next thing there is a report in this weeks addition about how I came 69th in 'Tenerife Cycling Volcano Tour'. Also a picture of me and the bike I rented, with the compulsory high 5 bottle. Bastards haha

Ah come on. You can't post that and not include links

Ah come on. You can't post that and not include links

http://www.lurganmail.co.uk/sport/grassroots/ivan-takes-part-in-tenerife-event-1-6704637

Just linking it for a while! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Kyran7

Thanks for the advice lads. Mailed the guy we rented from last year to confirm ratios we used then. Contacted my local bike mechanic, on my way down now to get a new rear cassette. Reasonably cheap so will keep as a spare anyway. Will try it for a few weeks and see how I go. Thanks again. I really am a novice with the tech stuff.

• Advertisement

Had a **** week on the bike last week. Wasn't feeling it at all and my legs felt weak. Think I needed a bit of a rest and relax. Still pretty worried about finishing this bloody thing, the stick i will get if I don't finish it haha 120mile hilly sportive next sunday should give me an idea of where I am at currently. Going to really try and replicate La Marmotte as much as I can, i.e. the food I bring and clothing I carry etc.
    This link has been put in here before but it is full of great advice.
    http://sandmteam.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/la-marmotte-tips-from-top-parts-1-6a.html

@ Jim, to be honest it is probably just your body feeling the effects of Tenerife and the culmination of the training.

In addition, I have always found it very hard to stay motivated throughout the training, especially when the weather turns from being relatively nice to crap (as we have here) and you will have felt it too having come back from Tenerife.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, probably best just to get done what you can and look at getting back into it after a few days. When you say a **** week, you need to look at it in context. You are probably judging against your previous weeks or your plans, but when you look at it as a whole it won't make too much difference.

10 weeks to go now so still plenty of time. Just keep focused on the target and the goals you have set out. You have done Teide, which means that you have the legs. You have a few sportives pencilled in so get these done and push yourself on them. Better to blow up/struggle on these and know your limits than have to face them on the day.

If you can do 120 miles sportive then endurance is not an issue, so it comes down to your ability to deal with the sheer amount of climbing (and the fact that the last 14k is all Alpe D'Huez) and most importantly it is a mental challenge. The fact that you are down to do 120 miles next weekend and seem more focused on getting the specifics right than being worried about the distance tells you all you need to know.

It is such a daunting event that it is easy to let all the doubts become negative, so spend all your time worrying about it. Focus on those things you can control. Graeme Obree used to say that when he went out n the bike he knew within the 1st 10 minutes what the day would be like. If he felt crap or no motivation he would simply turn around and take it easy. Sometimes by the time he got close to home he was feeling better and went full gas, others he just got off the bike and waited till the next day.

@ Jim, to be honest it is probably just your body feeling the effects of Tenerife and the culmination of the training.

In addition, I have always found it very hard to stay motivated throughout the training, especially when the weather turns from being relatively nice to crap (as we have here) and you will have felt it too having come back from Tenerife.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, probably best just to get done what you can and look at getting back into it after a few days. When you say a **** week, you need to look at it in context. You are probably judging against your previous weeks or your plans, but when you look at it as a whole it won't make too much difference.

10 weeks to go now so still plenty of time. Just keep focused on the target and the goals you have set out. You have done Teide, which means that you have the legs. You have a few sportives pencilled in so get these done and push yourself on them. Better to blow up/struggle on these and know your limits than have to face them on the day.

If you can do 120 miles sportive then endurance is not an issue, so it comes down to your ability to deal with the sheer amount of climbing (and the fact that the last 14k is all Alpe D'Huez) and most importantly it is a mental challenge. The fact that you are down to do 120 miles next weekend and seem more focused on getting the specifics right than being worried about the distance tells you all you need to know.

It is such a daunting event that it is easy to let all the doubts become negative, so spend all your time worrying about it. Focus on those things you can control. Graeme Obree used to say that when he went out n the bike he knew within the 1st 10 minutes what the day would be like. If he felt crap or no motivation he would simply turn around and take it easy. Sometimes by the time he got close to home he was feeling better and went full gas, others he just got off the bike and waited till the next day.

Think you're right about the whole tenerife and being a little tired thing. I am feeling a lot better this past few days. Took a day or 2 off and went out for a few pints on sunday night. My first drink in over 6 months, maybe more. I can't even remember when I had a drink before that.
    Signed up for the Mick Byrne there as well. So thats another hilly sportive I will have under my belt before July!

Any recommendations for arm warmers and leg warmers for La Marmotte lads? Ive a new pair of SIDIs and a Kask helmet coming tomorrow. They won't make me climb hills quicker but at least I will think I look good.

Did the big Italian on Sunday there. Soaked for the first 2 hours then it turned into a decent day for the rest of it thank god. Not an overly hard 120 mile. It was pretty flat apart from the first 30 mile or so. I think there was about 6000f of climbing over the 120miles. We averaged 29km per hour so it was quite a good pace for the distance. For anyone that knows the area, the only climbs I can think of were Dree Hill in Dromara and then a climb into Castlewellan, the rest of it was just a few rolling hills. Well organised just like last years.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    Any recommendations for arm warmers and leg warmers for La Marmotte lads? .

Cheap ones that you can wear early in the morning and then discard rather than lugging around all day.
    No experience here, just reading blogs / accounts of some who have done it.

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    Cheap ones that you can wear early in the morning and then discard rather than lugging around all day.
    No experience here, just reading blogs / accounts of some who have done it.

Ive read that before but what about coming off the Galibier? Its a 40km descent. Tough to know what to do.

Ive a new pair of SIDIs and a Kask helmet coming tomorrow. They won't make me climb hills quicker but at least I will think I look good.

Of course they will make you climb quicker. Everyone knows that style is worth a saving of at least a minute on every climb !

As regards the arm/leg warmers, are you looking for recommendation of brand of whether you should bother?

On brand, well they are really much the same. At a basic level, a piece of tight fitting lycra to keep you limbs warm. At the higher end, I heard that Castelli Nano flex are highly rated but have never used them myself.

As for whether you need them at all, well that will all depend on the weather. If it is normal (as in sunny and hot) then the most you will need them for is the start to the base of Glandon. You can then discard them as you won't be needing them again. However, the weather is very changeable so having them there just in case is better.

Not sure that leg warmers are required, I certainly wouldn't carry them around the course with me. (they are a bit bulky to fit in a pocket). If you are going in a group then maybe you can arrange for a meet up point by someone to bring spare clothes etc. If you arrive in the area early enough, then maybe take a drive up the Galibier and leave some kit hidden under a rock in a bag so that if you do need them they are there (well they might be there!). I'm going with a group so our van will be towards the top of the Galibier. I will be leaving a bag of clothes with them including leg warmers etc so if the weather is nasty I can at least make it down the descent.

Unless something really crazy happens with the weather you won't need any of them on the Alpe so again probably better to have something that you don't mind tossing away (Lidl/Aldi are perfect for this are there are cheap but do the job adequately)

If you only have good ones, then maybe ask on adverts if anybody has spare cheap ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I'm unsubscribing from this thread. You're doing far too much mileage for my liking Jim. I'm sticking my head in the sand. Be graaaand for the Marmotte! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

For the Etape last year we were warned on the weather.
    On the Thursday we did the Tourmalet in about 37 degrees sunshine, lovely day out!
    On the Sunday, there was torrential rain on the climb, very little visibility and about 4 degrees with the windchill at the top! The descent went from 70/80kph on the Thursday to 30kph max with occasional stops to do star jumps on the side of the road :) I noticed once my heart went below 80 the shivering started.

The gear I had was a packable waterproof (Kind of worked), arm warmers (tempted to put them on my legs instead) full finger gloves for the descent (useless, should have invested better!), a bandana for under the helmet (Great to keep the wind off at least), I'd have used another for my face if I had it. I didn't have shoe covers which was a mistake, bought them since.

So, the best you can do is bring gear to cover both excesses, extreme heat and cold weather and hopefully the forecast will be good so you won't need it. Out of 7 days riding that was the only bad day but it was great to have the gear. I saw a lot of people in short sleeves leaving the top of the Tourmalet, tough going! A lot of accidents were people just not able to grip the handlebars with the cold!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

Depends on how risk-averse you are, but I'd suggest having at least a pair of arm warmers and maybe even a gilet and light full fingered gloves available for the descent off Galibier. Last year the weather was good on Galibier (about 15-18 degrees on the top if I recall correctly) and I was still happy to have the arm warmers and gilet for the descent.

It's a long descent (40km) and if the weather is wet and or cold then you may need the extra gear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

If your doing the Marmotte without the assistance of a travel company, whatever you have on you at the start line will have to be carried (or dumped in a Bin) along the route somewhere.

You will probably be glad of arm warmers and a gillet at the start line and for the first 20k (you'll warm up as you climb the Glandon).

Depending on the weather, you might still be wearing them while you descend from the Glandon. By the time you get to the town of Saint Jean de Maurianne, it will be around the 11 or 12 mid-day, so it should be getting Hot!.

You wont need arm warmers or a gillet on the Telegraph or the Galibier climbs, but depending on the weather, again you could be in trouble if you don't have them on the descent from the galibier.

In short..it really depends on the weather, but if your not sure, I wouldn't do with out them. there's nothing worse then being cold and wet!

I did the marmotte and the travel company I went with had a food stop in Valloire and at the bottom of the Galibier descent. So I had a Gillet and arm warmers waiting for me in Valloire and I was able to give them to the staff at the food stop at the bottom of the Galibier. I was also able to give them everything else I had in my pockets and re-stock with a few gels for the climb up the Alpe.

Hope this helps..

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭decrrrrrr

Arm warmers and gilet are easy carried - even on the warmest day, it can be cold coming off the high mountains.

I'm a big fan of the Castelli Nanoflex arm warmers/leg warmers. Costly but worth it in my opinion. It rained for 60% of the day during Liege-Bastogne-Liege this year and I never got cold once. I used the leg warmers a lot over the winter too.

Both will be in the bag for La Marmotte just in case!

I think I will invest in the Castelli Nanoflex ones! I will bring everything with me then judge on the day. I have a pair of disposable arm warmers that I got for a few quid off planet x that I could dispose of after the start. I have a van meeting me somewhere around the top of the Galibier so I could potentially change get what I need then!

And great advice again lads! Great to have a thread in here to ask the random questions that I pester you all with!

the first climb of the day..col de la Croix de Fer/Glandon...
    Unlike MrCotty...stay in the saddle!

http://youtu.be/aqK9s1epBqw

07Lapierre wrote: »
    the first climb of the day..col de la Croix de Fer/Glandon...
    Unlike MrCotty...stay in the saddle!

http://youtu.be/aqK9s1epBqw

I bought a 1 hour walk through type video of la marmotte a while back. Goes through the whole route and the different sections to look out for which is quite useful. I've become obsessed. My wife will be glad when this is all over.

Haute Route will be a great surprise for her though!

I bought a 1 hour walk through type video of la marmotte a while back. Goes through the whole route and the different sections to look out for which is quite useful. I've become obsessed. My wife will be glad when this is all over.

This One?

http://www.cyclefilm.com/the-trilogy/cyclosportive-dvd-la-marmotte-trilogy-vol-3

07Lapierre wrote: »

Yeah. I've watched it about 10 times now!

Yeah. I've watched it about 10 times now!

Just so you know, that film is just the highlights, Marmotte takes longer that 1 hour:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Is Mrs Stynes not doing it as well?

Advertisement