Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marmotte 2015

Options
  • 21-09-2014 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

Anyone doing this or interested in doing it? I would love to but I would need to lose 2 stone and get as much training in as I can over the winter!
    Anyone got any training plans?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I am very interested in doing it.

I'm basically trying to justify to myself what is a very expensive one day's cycling!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

175k taking in Col du Glandon, Col du Galibier & Alpe d'Huez. :eek:
    I'd love to do it but I think it would kill me!

EDIT: Link here http://www.sportive.com/events/la-marmotte-2015-sportive/2015-07-04/526/cycling

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

fat bloke wrote: »
    I am very interested in doing it.

I'm basically trying to justify to myself what is a very expensive one day's cycling!

I am thinking of it as maybe a once in a lifetime trip around the most famous climb in the world!

http://www.classiccyclingtours.co.uk/cycling-holidays-french-alps/la-marmotte-2014

That is the company i am thinking of doing it with

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Few of us in our club thinking of doing it. Again need to shed some baggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    Anyone doing this or interested in doing it? I would love to but I would need to lose 2 stone and get as much training in as I can over the winter!
    Anyone got any training plans?

A crew from Slaney CC have completed the Marmotte over the past few years. The attached post will whet your appetite or put it out of your mind forever!

http://www.slaneycyclingclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Marmotte-2014.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭sbs2010

Did it 4 years ago. 3/4 way up the Galibier I swore I'd never do again.

But 12:05 wasn't a great time - I reckon I can knock an hour or two off that:)

I think I'll enter anyway and see how the winter training goes.

MichealD wrote: »
    A crew from Slaney CC have completed the Marmotte over the past few years. The attached post will whet your appetite or put it out of your mind forever!

http://www.slaneycyclingclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Marmotte-2014.pdf

Makes me want to do it even more now! I just want to convince a mate to do it with me! Would be much easier having a training partner

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭barryf42

yes - I'm doing it next year - flight and accommodation booked already and just waiting for it to open for entry at start of november

was due to do it in july but had to pull out the week of the marmotte as my wife required emergency spinal surgery - so looking forward to next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jiffybag

I last did it in 2005 , finished with time of 7.35 but was a few kgs lighter back then . We have a few lads in our club having a serious look at going in2015, im trying to motivate myself to train and enter it .
    Best to plan for at least 5 days in the area , plenty of good biking to be done around Bourg .
    Its a savage day out but well worth the effort

Anybody else signed up for this? Ready to book flights here at this stage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭QueensGael

More inspiration if anyone is wondering if they should pull the trigger - hang sanngiches and chocolate milk will get you there!
    http://www.sineadekennedy.com/blog/la-marmotte-2014-tortoise-tactics

I thought entries weren't on sale til November?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭barryf42

according to sports communication website, it opens in November if you are booking a slot directly with them. can expect it to open on the Monday 3rd - it opened around lunchtime last year and the site is very slow due to the volume of traffic

I'm going to go with a place called classic cycling tours and they include entry in their price. But I don't think the official website entries open until November.

Before I book has anyone any recommendations of who to book the Marmotte with? At the minute I am going by myself to do it as I can't convince anyone else to go with me!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭mp2012

I am going to do it next year, again waiting on entries to open. I am planning to arrange around our family holiday, going to take the caravan down to the Alps for the first week, then carry on our holiday after that. Hopefully be successful when the entries go on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

I'm going to go with a place called classic cycling tours and they include entry in their price. But I don't think the official website entries open until November.

Just wondering if anyone has booked through that company for 2015? Only links there are for 2014 and 2013 events....was wondering if someone had already been in contact with them and maybe already booked and have an idea of cost etc (and if they are still in business).

Planning to do this myself - was just looking at getting the bike over. Think it's about 80-eur via Aer Lingus, assuming they have room on the day.

Other option is http://www.shipmytribike.ie/index.php/main/event/la-marmotte-sportive-2015 for 195eur unless maybe 20 of us from boards get together and we get the discount? :)

Flights about 160eur
    Bike transport 200eur ?
    Tour cost 800eur (last year, incl dinners and entry fees)

expensive auld weekend - could hire a bike locally for a day, but then for 175km on a bike that's not your own might not be a great idea I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LeoD

andy69 wrote: »
    expensive auld weekend - could hire a bike locally for a day, but then for 175km on a bike that's not your own might not be a great idea I think.

Brought my own bike a few years ago but after a few days reccying the climbs in the week leading up to it, I decided to go with a triple on the day so hired a bike just for the Marmotte. Moved my wheels, pedals and saddle over the rented bike and it worked out grand. There are decent bike shops in Bourg d'Oisons (sp?) with a good range of rental bikes so if you're only going for a couple of days, hiring a bike is not a bad option. I have also done the Maratona on a hired bike so I wouldn't be overly attached with the idea of having to do long rides on my own bike.

yeah, good point - saves a fair few bob as well, and sure an hour or so messing with the rental and it'd be set up close enough to my own I suppose.

just actually got a reply from that tour operator in the meantime if anyone interested - they have a new website now, with the 2015 marmotte details on it:

http://www.classiccyclingtours.com/French-Alps-Cycling-Holidays/la-marmotte-granfondo-2015/

yeah, good point - saves a fair few bob as well, and sure an hour or so messing with the rental and it'd be set up close enough to my own I suppose.

just actually got a reply from that tour operator in the meantime if anyone interested - they have a new website now, with the 2015 marmotte details on it:

http://www.classiccyclingtours.com/French-Alps-Cycling-Holidays/la-marmotte-granfondo-2015/

Who's up for it then! That seems good. Group deal if we can get together and arrange something with that company

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭oheilis

Before I book has anyone any recommendations of who to book the Marmotte with? At the minute I am going by myself to do it as I can't convince anyone else to go with me!

I've done it three times, and arranged it ourselves. Very doable, particularly if you're going with a few friends. Have flown in and out of Grenoble and Geneva, just depended on flight prices. I'd recommend checking out prices of a DIY trip before booking with a company.

Stayed in a lovely spot called Ferme Noemie just 3/4 ams outside Bourg - big farmhouse/campsite place which is totally geared towards the cycling tourist.

Who's up for it then! That seems good. Group deal if we can get together and arrange something with that company

yeah I'm pretty certain that I'll be going anyways - I had been looking into a DIY-job, but on my own that was expensive, as it worked out about 1100eur or so (incl flight/car/diesel/accom in campsite chalet /dinners/bike transport/event entry).
    Tour Operator comes to the same (ish), but you only have to worry about getting to the airport and getting your bike transported.

Both estimates were without adding in spending money, although the TourOp has lunches and dinners included....

DIY would certainly reduce if there were a group sharing a car and accommodation, but ye'd want a fair sized MPV/bus to take a few bikes and people. Also, fair bit of planning/coordination too.... maybe the extra cost of a TourOp might be the better option

I'm considering going with one or maybe 2 other lads. Nothing organised yet. Was going to just see about getting an entry first and then take it from there. Based on the opinion that flights with no entry is slightly more useless than entry with no flights.

If there was a group idea going I might be interested. Surely there's a camper van driving boardsie out there working in a travel agency out of Grenoble, married to a bike shop owner, running a gites de vacances... :D

Why don't we all book with that classic cycling holidays and set up an Irish base! Take control of the place :-)

Seriously though it would be good if few were going to book with the same place. Could arrange a few training runs before hand to make sure no one is a serial killer or anything ;-)

Just need to get the flights booked here! Then it's go time. Weight loss is my main aim at the minute. I need to drop about 15kgs ffs

Why don't we all book with that classic cycling holidays and set up an Irish base! Take control of the place :-)

Seriously though it would be good if few were going to book with the same place. Could arrange a few training runs before hand to make sure no one is a serial killer or anything ;-)

Just need to get the flights booked here! Then it's go time. Weight loss is my main aim at the minute. I need to drop about 15kgs ffs

yeah I think that's a good idea - that's two of us so far lets say, plus FB above (if he's interested???), and his mates as well????, sure that'd be 5 of us and therefore get the group discount if we picked the Tour Op.

I'm leaning towards hiring a bike - saw one place for 95eur for 3-days with full carbon, full Ultegra-spec bike. So that's half the price of shipping my own one over, and means I don't have to send my bike off 10-days before the event (which is crap), and that's also not too far off the flight price of 80-eur for bringing it with me, (and of course not having to lug it to/from and through the airports and all that hassle and worry about whether it will be damaged (or worse: my friend recently came home and his bike is just basically gone....never turned up....written off now, so these things happen)).

If we DIY'd it, just had a quick look there on the interweb at minibus hire, gite, and so on.... at a very fast glance (under time pressure today), I got a figure of about 925eur in total for flights, entry fee, and with 5 people sharing a 5-bed house, and splitting the van hire and diesel and tolls etc.
    I'm coming up with 1015eur for the tour option (hiring a bike), and 1120eur transporting my own bike over.

All of course without spending money, although the tour option covers you for all dinners and for some grub during the day, and they have a van en route if you wanted to shed some gear, or have some real food for yourself in a bag they'll bring in their van or whatever....

Seems much easier via Tour Op, and not a huge difference in prices - but I haven't had a few hours to really look into it. Will do so over the coming week, and book my flights before they start increasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Spokes of Glory

Did it this year. The major advantage of going via an operator (apart from guaranteed entry) is the extra support. They will usually have their own separate food stops because the official ones are pretty chaotic (think 9000 riders trying to fill water bottles and grab bananas). They'll have some mechanical support and tools at your base hotel, and most importantly of all, a sag wagon on call should the worst happen. And even with all the training, it does happen; fouled Di2 gears, heat stroke, and just plain old exhaustion saw 3 riders from my hotel having to be picked up around the course. Trust me; you don't want to be waiting hours halfway up the Galibier waiting for the official wagon to pick you up.

Yes it is a pricey trip and you can definitely do it under your own steam, but the peace of mind and having somebody sweat the small stuff on your behalf is worth it in my view.

A tough day, but great atmosphere all weekend, and sense of achievement when you cross the line. Good luck with the trip.

Spokes

little update.... was talking to the tour operator, I was just concerned about the flight times home because there's only one flight outta Geneva at 10:40am, and they have on their website that the Monday transfer is based on getting people to the airport for midday - they told me that they would accomodate the earlier flight if there was a few taking it.
    just in case anyone else saw that and was worried ;)

right - pay day today, so.....trigger pulled!

I'm booked for my flights, my bike hire, and the tour operator.

(and apart from all that I put it on my Facebook page, so now I definitely HAVE TO go :D ha!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

(and apart from all that I put it on my Facebook page, so now I definitely HAVE TO go :D ha!)

Lucky you! ...did it last year with @SpokesofGlory. Enjoy and you might find last years thread interesting....
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057044244

• Advertisement

What your operator and what flights did u book if u don't mind me asking? Flying from Belfast would be handier for me but there are no available flights showing at the minute!

Advertisement