Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marmotte 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

Found this in another forum:

OK guys it's very hot, and it's meant to be getting hotter !!!

Today did a circuit taking in the Col D'Izoard some 120km and 2,600m of climbing last year I did it in 4hr 47m and today around 5h 50m (taking into account a wrong turn, actual time was 6hr 21m).

I do not do heat well, plus I only arrived in the mountains yesterday, so not exactly acclimatised.

If any of you appeal to flys etc then it might be worth carrying some anti histamines as cycling up through the pastures I had my own little swarm around me, and did spot a couple of horse flys trying to land on me.

I was carrying two bottles and was filling up at village fountains, but stomach was feeling not too good as I was chucking so much water down me, in hindsight I should have carried some more Hi 5 Zero tablets.

Temp on my Garmin coming back up the valley to home was reading 40.7 but most of the time even at altitude was 35 - back home in the shade my thermometer is reading 31.2

Looks like we are in for a scorcher!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭uphillonly

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    Found this in another forum:

Looks like we are in for a scorcher!

I've ridden a few hot Etapes and Marmottes. Coping with heat is one our toughest challenges especially as our mini-heatwave has only just begun so we aren't acclimatised.

Few tips.
    - Take it easy on Friday. Let your body adjust to the temperature & stay hydrated, keeping a bottle with you. You don't want to start Saturday morning dehydrated.
    - keep one of your bottles filled with water rather than energy/electrolyte, especially later in the ride, so you can pour it over your head & back of neck. Most of your blood flows through your neck so if you can cool here it helps cool your body.
    - take any offered of cups of water on route & just tip them over you if you are ensure about drinks from strangers.
    - I took helmet off & put my cap on for the climbs. Pouring water on cap.
    - bring small kids size suncream for saddlebag so you can reapply cream during the day (will really help against sunstroke).
    - wiggle your toes to keep blood circulation going. Seems to help against hot feet.
    - ride in the shade when you can.
    - Make use of cold streams to throw water on you.
    - if you are suffering from heat, take a break in the shade to allow your body to cool down. 2005 Etape finished on Alp d'Huez with 40C+ in the sunshine on the lower slopes. Ambulances were going up & down putting people on drips, others cowering in the shade.
    - Don't underestimate the effect of the heat. The sun doesn't know or care about Rule #5.

Disclaimer - I'm not a doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

Drove from Cherbourg to Alpe D'Huz today. The temp didn't get below 31 until well after dark and even then was in the high 20s. I got through 2 and a half litres of water and that wasn't enough and I spent the day in an air conditioned car!

Drove up the Alpe about half an hour ago. Jaysus wept! What have I let meself in for? Nearly killed me trusty Avensis! What's it goin' to do to me on Sat? �� There's a few on here who've cycled this before and know a lot better than I do, but I got the impression that the 100-200m or so AFTER each hairpin will be the hardest which is not the impression I got watching vids.

Anyway, I was going to drive the whole route tomorrow or Thursday just to get a sense of it, but won't bother now. I'd be afraid I'd chicken out! I'm already bricking at the thoughts of getting DOWN from here to the start in one piece!

Ah well, too late to back out now!

Rb

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Red Belly wrote: »
    I'm already bricking at the thoughts of getting DOWN from here to the start in one piece!

Ah well, too late to back out now!

Rb

You'll be fine... Just take it nice and easy. Besides, you wont be on your own!

https://youtu.be/ET9NdvsKzuA

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭goldenboots

Best of luck to everyone doing this on Saturday. It's a brilliant experience. Take it handy up the climbs, even if you feel great. Save as much as possible for the Alpe, you will need it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Man, I can't wait to get this over and done with and get back to normal training. This heat business is really freaking me out. It's the major unknown for me. I've never cycled in that those kinds of temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

fat bloke wrote: »
    Man, I can't wait to get this over and done with and get back to normal training. This heat business is really freaking me out. It's the major unknown for me. I've never cycled in that those kinds of temperatures.

No point freaking out, the temp will be whatever it is, you can't change it.

Having ridden up the Alpe in 37c before I know all about how the heat can simply suck the power out of your legs. I have suffered from dehydration before, although I didn't realise it at the time. I was convinced that if I stopped I wouldn't get going again and just ploughed on. Stupid.

Take advantage of any water stops and any fountains along the route. These are the fountains someone posted up;

WATER fountains
    St Columban des Villards (51km) (tourist info, on right)
    Albiez le Jeune (88km) (at X-roads, by white phonebox, on right)
    St Sorlin-D'Arves (108km) on the right just after Mairie/Post Office
    ADH (160km) hairpins #16 and #7

Even if you don't need water take a minute to cool yourself down. Whenever you get a change refill the bottles. Better to have too much than be caught short with no water for a few k's.

Make sure you have two large bottles with you. One at least with water only so that so you pour it over you if you are getting too hot. Over the back of the neck is apparently the best place. Whatever drinking you do on the bike over here will be greatly increased in the heat.

Apart from that there really is not much you can do but hope that you can get into the shade as much as possible. But sure it only adds to the awesomeness of the achievement you are about to do!:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

best of luck to you guys, i've found it tough on my 10km, 100m commute the last few days :D

Flying out tomorrow at 6.50! Who else is on the flight then?

Was ****ting myself earlier but Im having a 'let's do this!!!' moment now haha.

Ive ridden up Teide twice, ridden more than 200km or more a **** load this year and I've done nearly 6000km this year! I would have loved to have gotten down to 13 stone this year but i weighed in at 13.5 the other day. Lost 2 stone from Xmas. Not going to let that effort go to waste!

Keep in contact on this lads and we could maybe ride a bit of the route together at the start if anyone was up for it. I am in the 4000+ numbers starting pen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Rhetoricman

Any restaurant recommendations in ADH for Saturday evening...hopefully celebratory?

• Advertisement

Got my number changed from 8000+ to 1098 or something like that. The big plus is that it means I will get a bit of extra time out of the heat for the first bit. It is ridiculously warm. All the French are saying they can't remember it being as hot as this before. Just can't wait to get started now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

well done on dropping the weight Jim Stynes, best of luck, get some good sun creams & slap it on or you'll be burnt to a crisp as well as horliksed from the days efforts.

Not as jealous of all of you doing this when I see the temperatures in France at the moment.

best of luck to all of you.

Bloggsie.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Max Rockatansky

Best of luck to everybody tomorrow. Don't push too hard, stay hydrated and above all enjoy the ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Stay safe in those conditions guys. Really enjoy following this thread, and hope you all hit your targets. Looking forward to the reports when you've all completed and recovered.
    Onwards and Upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Best of luck tomorrow lads. Can't wait to read how ye get on especially Jim Stynes.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭del_boy13

Best of luck to all doing this today.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Doc07

del_boy13 wrote: »
    Best of luck to all doing this today.

Hope it's going well. Hope to do this next year so looking forward to some detailed reports esp from Jim Stynes.

Back and starting to feel somewhat normal again.
    That was bloody hard. Heat was intense, my garmin reading 42 at the bottom of the alp.
    With the new route its hard to compare but I got gold so haapy with that.
    7.50 official time (ex the descent ) and a total time of 8.17.
    I let somebody with better prose try to explain just how hard a day it was

DNF lads. Mechanical issue with my gears that got worse and worse after about 70 mile. Then had to walk to find the mavic van which was 6k away! Cleats were shot after that and couldn't clip on on the descent. Too dangerous so I had to abandon. To be honest though I would never have completed the alp. It was 45 degrees when I was driving up it at the end! I don't think I would have had the legs. Too heavy and not enough experience on those climbs. Gutted obviously but more gutted that I didn't get to see how far I could get. Also nice to meet FatBloke on one of the climbs. He was looking strong! I'll give a proper report when I get home.

• Advertisement

Well done Leroy. Gold is an amazing achievement in those conditions.

I didn't make the cut off and while I felt strong enough at the end to finish I was so damn slow I'd have been climbing the Alpe in the dark so I took the sensible option and took a lift with the company car.

The heat really threw me for six. Gippy stomach until late afternoon and apparently 47deg was recorded in the valley today!

Still have to count it as the best day ever on the bike. Glandon, Lacets du Montvernier, Mollard And Croix de Fer were stunningly beautiful and absolutely brutal climbs and really enjoyed them (heat aside). Will definitely come back to cycle here again. Not so sure about the event though. Next time I might come back for a week just to explore the Cols with a group or tour operator.

This is because today, much to my surprise, once it became obvious I'd miss the cut-off I started to enjoy it a whole lot more.

Rb

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Back and starting to feel somewhat normal again.
    That was bloody hard. Heat was intense, my garmin reading 42 at the bottom of the alp.
    I let somebody with better prose try to explain just how hard a day it was

Missed this yesterday Leroy! That is amazing! Well done. Im sure you are happy with that. Someone was saying this morning over half the participants didn't finish and grenoble has a la marmotte wing set up :eek: Few fellas from next door are currently in there!

Will try and get a few pics up at some stage.

Climbed the Alp this morning in 1hr 22mins so it nearly confirmed that I wouldn't have got up the Alp yesterday if I had of reached the bottom. Took a few photos and that sort of thing on the way up so not sure what time I could do it in if I pushed it. It is a nice climb tbf, though not as hard as some of the climbs yesterday. You nearly have to pinch yourself at times when you cycle past the famous parts of the climb that you see on TV all the time. First few hairpins are steep and then it gets easier but then the legs get more fatigued as you go as well. With 100mile in the legs and in 45 degrees it would have been out of my depth yesterday I reckon. Driving up the Alp yesterday was complete carnage, it was unbelievable. People crying on the side of the road. People lying sprawled out all over the place, literally lying on their backs. Ive never seen anything like it.

Red Belly wrote: »
    Well done Leroy. Gold is an amazing achievement in those conditions.

I didn't make the cut off and while I felt strong enough at the end to finish I was so damn slow I'd have been climbing the Alpe in the dark so I took the sensible option and took a lift with the company car.

The heat really threw me for six. Gippy stomach until late afternoon and apparently 47deg was recorded in the valley today!

Still have to count it as the best day ever on the bike. Glandon, Lacets du Montvernier, Mollard And Croix de Fer were stunningly beautiful and absolutely brutal climbs and really enjoyed them (heat aside). Will definitely come back to cycle here again. Not so sure about the event though. Next time I might come back for a week just to explore the Cols with a group or tour operator.

This is because today, much to my surprise, once it became obvious I'd miss the cut-off I started to enjoy it a whole lot more.

Rb

Well done RB. It was a tough day that's for sure! The scenery was truly breathtaking.

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    Climbed the Alp this morning in 1hr 22mins so it nearly confirmed that I wouldn't have got up the Alp yesterday if I had of reached the bottom.

Fair dues Jim, 1:22 is very respectable for the Alpe. I'm going to give it a go either this evening or tomorrow morning and tbh I'll be happy with 2 hours.

With the conditions yesterday plus a mechanical... that's just rotten luck. I always knew that I'd just about make the cut off IF everything went perfect on the day and the heat put paid to that. Also, being here for a few days and struggling to cope with the heat put me in a bad place mentally and I started to fixate on everything that could go wrong, definitely have to work on that pre-race Positive Mental Attitude aspect if I ever do anything like this again because funnily enough despite not making it to the finish I have a very positive attitude towards it NOW. Definitely a voyage of self-discovery!

Rb

Leroy42 wrote: »

Wowsers :eek: That is indeed an absolutely extraordinary time Leroy42. Myself and my Usher compatriots, all Marmotte virgins, managed to finish. We weren't sure if we could or would keep the trio together for the duration of the event but we actually managed it which I think was an achievement in itself. On the one hand it probably slowed us down overall cos every individuals stop became a collective stop. So one man's nature break or slight mechanical or water stop meant we all stopped, and at the end of the descents the lads ahead stopped to regroup. But on the other hand it was great to have a bit of company going around to "shorten the road" as the man said :). We met Jim Stynes around the Croix de Fer, (going well fair play to you Jim) and he was delighted to have someone to say hello to! It's a daunting day to undertake all on your own for such a long time. Sorry to hear you didn't finish Jim but sure you had the most of the climbing done at that stage.
    We regrouped again at the foot of the Alpe d'Huez and from there it was every man for himself and we retreated into our own worlds of pain to get to the top. We all got well inside the silver medal finishing time, which was really nice I must say, and unexpected. I finished in 9 hours 35 and <ahem> the lads came in a little bit after me .... :D (It's not a race, but it's a race :D). It really was quite an emotional thing to cross the finish line, and I'm not the emotional type. But afterwards we got to chatting about where we could make up time to get a gold medal and I have to say, I really don't see it. We none of us have trained harder or more specifically for any one event than we did this one and we did our best on the day, had no punctures or mechanicals really, no unnecessary stops really. But to make up a full hour!!! to get under 8.39 (39-49 cat) would be a very big ask, and puts starkly into perspective Leroy42's achievement of an hour quicker again, that's really astonishing, you must have been well up there in the overall category placement and up near the top of your category surely. Well done man :).
    For ourselves, I suppose at the Croix de Fer feedstop, we must have been there 20 minutes, by the time the three of us had fed, watered, urinated and then found ourselves again, and hit the road and of course there's a bit of time-wasting but thoroughly enjoyable banter to be had. We could have saved 15 minutes there but then maybe that bit of physical and psychological rest is what enabled us to finish.
    One thing certainly that was encouraging was that the following day we were all fine, we weren't spent or exhausted or sore. So we were well fit and well prepared in that sense and it's great to have done it and it's great that it's over and done with too!! :D

It's a funny day in a way, in terms of pacing, and in comparison to how you would climb a hill at home. Because of the sheer length of the climbs, and then the event, and then factoring in the heat, I found I had to ride ultra ultra conservatively. At no point could I give it socks for fear of blowing up later on. I know how long Wicklow gap is so I can climb it as hard as I can, I can mete out my efforts and spread it the length of the climb and arrive at the top heaving but happy and satisfied with my effort. But over there you just can't do that, it's tortoise over hare. I remember going up the Croix de Fer and commenting to the lads how unglamourous it was in a way, despite the awesome Alpine backdrop, as in our pace was not one to be proud of. But it's the nature of the beast. So in a way the best part of the day was the 2k to go sign at the top of the Alp and for the first time all day I thought "right, fcuk this" and clicked down a load of gears, outta the saddle, big ring through the town and it was great to finally throw caution to the wind for once. :). Though we all climbed the Col de Mollard really well, we were all feeling strong and we kept a good pace from bottom to top and passed a lot of people – amazing actually even at that early point how many super fit looking lads were panned out in the ditch, or draped over their bikes, a long way from home :(. The absence of soreness in the legs the following day shows how aerobic the effort was, at no point all day were we out of breath or cycling anaerobically, we could always chat to each other in normal voices. It's the day long weariness, and all over body weariness that had us fcuked at the end. Oddly, my hands and feet were really sore in the latter half of the spin. My palms are actually still chafed and sore typing this, and my lower back was really starting to get at me going up Alpe d’Huez so I started a 3 minutes in, 2 minutes out (of the saddle) routine to stretch the back and keep my focus.

Right, that's enough from me, I'm only blathering at this stage. Well done to all, it's a mammoth day, it's almost impossible to describe to anyone who hasn't done it, but I now understand completely and chapeau and hats off to everyone who travelled over and pedalled or cleated to or close to the finish. Tis a big black tick in a big red box, to be sure, to be sure. :cool:

And ah.... never again. (maybe):pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

A Big congrats to all of you! I've been following this thread since the start and BIG KUDOS to all of you. Sounds like it was an epic day on the bike!

Of course if we were pro riders, we'd have to get up and do it all again for another three weeks! ;) It really makes you appreciate just what it takes to do a grand tour.

So Well done and roll on Marmotte 2017!

Exactly what Fat Bloke said. I knew somebody would come along and be able to put in into words better than I could.

The distance and meters climbed stats say the course was roughly the same, but I think the nature of the course along with the exceptional heat, made it far tougher. Certainly the finish times, along with the sheer number of people who had to abandon, would seem to back it up. Ended up 451st overall and 138 in my Cat (E 40-49). To compare that to 2013 (the last time I did it) that time would have placed me 1050+ overall.

As FatBloke says, it is so different from the cycling we do here. You look at your power/hr/speed or whatever and there is never a chance to go at the levels you would over here. The Lacets de Montvenier was a lovely climb, Short (<4k) meant it was closer to the length we are used to but the Mollard was 17k and then the CdF was another 14k more! Just relentless stuff. Its all about accepting whatever situation you're in and battling through. Lots of people passed me but you just ignore them as there is nothing you can do, you are very much on your own. I also think that the lack of the extra 600m in height from the Galibier meant that we missed out on the cooling effect we get up there. Even the top of the CdF was still scorching.

I saw one woman, who I had been passed by/passed all during the day, suffering from what I think was heat exhaustion on the Alpe. She was in a bad way either way and I heard later that she had been taken to hospital. Another bloke simply fell off his bike about 4k from the top of Alpe. His legs cramped and he simply couldn't get his feet unclipped. Loads of the spectators ran to his aid. Of the roughly 7500 starters only 4678 actually got a finishing time. In previous years that been closer to 6000!

There is simply no way for us Irish to train for that. The length of the climbs is a problem but place the heat on top of that and it becomes almost impossible.

I was something like 750th in my cat and 1650th overall or something meaningless. Going up the alpe and doing some maths to keep my head busy I'd completely forgotten about the Glandon descent neutralisation and I copped it that I had about a half hour in hand that I didn't realise I had and that was a great motivation for me to realise that I wasn't actually going to be the wrong side of ten hours.

Couple of other things -the machine gun popping of tires and tubes on the hairpin descents. Honest to God I'd say I passed at least 30 people repairing blowouts on the Glandon descent. It was something I was very conscious of myself - not to be constantly feathering the brakes. I was cadence braking on and off and back and front like an abs effect to make sure the rims had time to cool.

Also, after the Croix de Fer, the length and duration of the descending which we did all the way down the Glandon valley and down into Bourg was mindblowing. Constant prolonged high speed descending that just went on and on and on - all I could think was "**** me, we climbed all of this earlier today!!!". It had struck me alright at the beginning of the day, how little preamble there was before the road turned skyward. We were only 15 minutes out from the start I'd say when we first started climbing proper, and from then it was up up up all the way to the top of the Glandon.

Again in terms of descending, the valley of the Glandon was awesome. Like the Wicklow gap on steroids. None of this neck aching, brake testing stop start hairpin nonsense, just fast flowing well sighted open countryside roads, zipping along at 60-70kph, long swooping lefts and rights, for what seemed like 45 minutes or so. Just... awesome.

And finally, to the people who stood by the side of road clapping and encouraging, and pointing their garden hoses at us, and dousing our red necks with bottles of icy cold mountain river water, and shouting allez allez. You are heroes and saints and you made my day.

Oh and the jellies, ohmotherofgod the jellies at the food stops. *slobber* I was ateing them by the fistful. I'm drooling on the keyboard here at the thought of them :D

Finally did the Alpe early this morning in a nice 'n' easy 1:39. In the shade, almost the whole way. Happy out. Got all the climbs done even if it covered a span of more than 48 hours!

Rb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Fantastic effort by all of you who took part. Jim Stynes, it must have been soul destroying to have to stop initially but as you said you were banjoed and you dont think you would have completed it anyway. I am going to miss the posts on this, Roll on next year!

really well done again.

Advertisement