Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asylum Seeker protest on Kinsale Road. Mod warning in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Bearing or not,they would remain...."Interesting" figures....;)

Not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

alastair wrote: »
    Not really.

To others,perhaps ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

To others,perhaps ?

To those who are overly obsessed with the notion of immigrants under every bed; maybe, but to anyone else; no.

To those who are overly obsessed with the notion of immigrants under every bed; maybe, but to anyone else; no.

Odd response indeed.There's no Immigrants under my bed or indeed of anybodys whom I know....Why would you post such a nonsensical remark ?

Do you see yourself as having to defend the fort against hordes of savages intent on destroying Liberal Ireland's good standing in the World ?

There are those who are concerned about present and future Irish Immigration and Asylum policies,but such concerns does'nt directly translate into what you appear to percieve.

Pointing out,and debating the obvious,and less obvious shortcomings in these policies hardly equates to an "Obsession",does it ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Pointing out,and debating the obvious,and less obvious shortcomings in these policies hardly equates to an "Obsession",does it ?

+ 100

• Advertisement

Odd response indeed.There's no Immigrants under my bed or indeed of anybodys whom I know....Why would you post such a nonsensical remark ?

Do you see yourself as having to defend the fort against hordes of savages intent on destroying Liberal Ireland's good standing in the World ?

There are those who are concerned about present and future Irish Immigration and Asylum policies,but such concerns does'nt directly translate into what you appear to percieve.

I'll tell you what's obvious - pregnancy isn't a basis for leave to remain - no matter how much the obsessives like yourself try to distort the claim.

Perhaps if you tried to constrain yourself to actual, genuine, concerns, rather than make stuff up?

Just a suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭rgossip30

I'll tell you what's obvious - pregnancy isn't a basis for leave to remain - no matter how much the obsessives like yourself try to distort the claim.

Perhaps if you tried to constrain yourself to actual, genuine, concerns, rather than make stuff up?

Just a suggestion.

Do you have as link to show to the contrary ?? Comments are not enough.

The link below shows the reason for granting leave to remain including Irish born children. You still see a lot of African women not in the asylum system with young children .I live in an area with no asylum center nearest one is 35 kms. The majority of Africans here are former asylum seekers.The number of work permits issued to nationalities of asylum countries is small.

http://www.djei.ie/labour/workpermits/statistics.htm

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/asylum_seekers_and_refugees/refugee_status_and_leave_to_remain/leave_to_remain.html

The links below relate to the conditions for Irish born children of non eu parents.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/children-win-right-to-stay-in-eu-birth-place-147589.html

This link also shows how a grandchild of an Irish citizenship can also get Irish citizenship. When you consider that 70K non Irish have got citizenship this could open doors for more to enter in the future.

http://www.skillclear.co.uk/ireland/citizenship.asp

rgossip30 wrote: »
    Do you have as link to show to the contrary ??
    Contrary to what?

The link below shows the reason for granting leave to remain including Irish born children.
    It does not. It mentions the residual 2005 legislation, which no longer applies. The few families that have been granted leave to remain on that basis date back nine years.
    You still see a lot of African women not in the asylum system with young children .I live in an area with no asylum center nearest one is 35 kms. The majority of Africans here are former asylum seekers.The number of work permits issued to nationalities of asylum countries is small.
    Is there a point coming here?
    This link also shows how a grandchild of an Irish citizenship can also get Irish citizenship. When you consider that 70K non Irish have got citizenship this could open doors for more to enter in the future.
    It's always been the case. And no 'non-Irish' have got citizenship. If they have citizenship, they are Irish.

Contrary to what?

It does not. It mentions the residual 2005 legislation, which no longer applies. The few families that have been granted leave to remain on that basis date back nine years.

Is there a point coming here?

It's always been the case. And no 'non-Irish' have got citizenship. If they have citizenship, they are Irish.

I mean those living outside Ireland who obtained citizenship by decent.

The cost of the asylum system alone is 150 million a year .You can add to this cost of welfare,housing and education for those who got residence here . They have failed to get refugee status and as 90% are just economic migrants its a mockery of the asylum system.

I mean those living outside Ireland who obtained citizenship by decent.
    The diaspora - always considered Irish under the law, since the foundation of the state. There are millions who fall under the granny rule, and that's been the case for a long time now.
    The cost of the asylum system alone is 150 million a year .You can add to this cost of welfare,housing and education.
    Why would I add that figure to welfare or housing? They have nothing to do with the asylum overhead.

• Advertisement

Just a suggestion.

Can you support this "Obsessive" bit...?

The diaspora - always considered Irish under the law, since the foundation of the state. There are millions who fall under the granny rule, and that's been the case for a long time now.

Why would I add that figure to welfare or housing? They have nothing to do with the asylum overhead.

True . I refer to those that do not work granted refugee status,leave to remain ,subsidiary protection and sham marriages .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

True . I refer to those that do not work granted refugee status,leave to remain ,subsidiary protection and sham marriages .

You've figures for the numbers involved and the amount spent specifically on them?

Nodin wrote: »
    You've figures for the numbers involved and the amount spent specifically on them?

The figures for refugee status and leave to remain numbers are in earlier posts.
    The amount spent is not available the reason its not mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Honestysucks

Pixie Elf wrote: »
    I absolutely know that this is one area that power is abused....i know of people that have been singled out by management who then request that security check rooms....
    I totally agree with tolerant from cork.They do not have to spend every night there.I had a b/f who was in direct provision and he would be away at mine for 3-4 days at a time without returning.

I totally agree with tolerant from cork.They do not have to spend every night there.I had a b/f who was in direct provision and he would be away at mine for 3-4 days at a time without returning.

Oh dear...you do realize that you'll very soon be asked for a link to this ......;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Oh dear...you do realize that you'll very soon be asked for a link to this ......;)

You've a problem with proof being required before a claim is accepted?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Daisy Dasi

Nodin wrote: »
    You've a problem with proof being required before a claim is accepted?

To be fair I also knew a girl from Iran who lived in KRAC in 2005, lovely girl... she used to come and stay with me and my family for days on end... wasn't it in the papers the signing of the daily register anyway was scrapped??

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Daisy Dasi

Contrary to what?

Few families?? DP was jammed up to 2005 and after the 2005 amnesty, the centres almost emptied... surely a lot more than "a few families" as you claim?

Daisy Dasi wrote: »
    To be fair I also knew a girl from Iran who lived in KRAC in 2005, lovely girl... she used to come and stay with me and my family for days on end... wasn't it in the papers the signing of the daily register anyway was scrapped??

Indeed Dasy Dasi,that is very fair indeed....but you'll need a link to avoid being disbelieved....sorry...:o

• Advertisement

Asylum Seekers can opt to live outside Direct Provision .This may prove to be an advantage as they can remain here longer .

Asylum Seekers can opt to live outside Direct Provision .This may prove to be an advantage as they can remain here longer .

A considerable advantage,one might think ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Asylum Seekers can opt to live outside Direct Provision
    I would probably be perceived by the bleeding hearts as being on the hated "anti-asylum seeker" side of these discussions, but I feel the above suggestion is a little disingenuous

First of all, there are a very small number of legitimate asylum seekers. But the ones who are the most legitimate are likely to be the most destitute, since they may have been marginalized and persecuted in their respective countries of origin. It is unreasonable to expect the legitimate applicants to be capable of supporting themselves, and until their applications are processed, it is impossible to know who has legitimate fears, and who does not.
    This may prove to be an advantage as they can remain here longer
    How? I've been trying imagine scenarios whereby independent living may facilitate a stay on deportation or be conducive to a successful decision, but i cannot.

It is true that family relationships may be likely to result in leave-to-remain but you don't need to be living independently to achieve that. Most are not.

conorh91 wrote: »
    I would probably be perceived by the bleeding hearts as being on the hated "anti-asylum seeker" side of these discussions, but I feel the above suggestion is a little disingenuous

First of all, there are a very small number of legitimate asylum seekers. But the ones who are the most legitimate are likely to be the most destitute, since they may have been marginalized and persecuted in their respective countries of origin. It is unreasonable to expect the legitimate applicants to be capable of supporting themselves, and until their applications are processed, it is impossible to know who has legitimate fears, and who does not.

How? I've been trying imagine scenarios whereby independent living may facilitate a stay on deportation or be conducive to a successful decision, but i cannot.

It is true that family relationships may be likely to result in leave-to-remain but you don't need to be living independently to achieve that. Most are not.

Believe what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mr pickles

Please read this
    Sligo Woman's Husband Deported To Nigeria
    Then read this
    People warned me not to marry him but I was blinded by love’ says Irish mother betrayed by her husband
    Sorry you have to google The comments on the article are very interesting

Believe what you want.
    not a very convincing argument. I'm going to go ahead and assume that what your wrote was untrue.

mr pickles wrote: »
    Please read this
    Sligo Woman's Husband Deported To Nigeria
    Then read this
    People warned me not to marry him but I was blinded by love’ says Irish mother betrayed by her husband
    Sorry you have to google The comments on the article are very interesting

Is this the article you're referring to.....

http://www.evoke.ie/news/jacqueline-conway-irish-mother-warns-women-not-to-marry-an-asylum-seeker/

Mind you,to get a broader perspective you really should read some other accounts from previous years...

http://www.sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=13121

http://www.sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=15408

....as well as the happy ending to the first series.....

http://www.flac.ie/download/pdf/x_adeoye_v_mjelr.pdf

Perhaps then passage of time has calmed the turbulent waters...?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I see that guy who raped a woman while claiming aslyum was granted full residence yesterday or today despite been categorised as highly likely to rape again

conorh91 wrote: »
    not a very convincing argument. I'm going to go ahead and assume that what your wrote was untrue.

You appear to be trying to drag something out of nothing. I did say it may prove to be an advantage. There is also an underlying reason aslyum seekers are left for years in the hope they will get frustrated and leave .

• Advertisement

You appear to be trying to drag something out of nothing. I did say it may prove to be an advantage.
    It isn't an advantage.

Independent living is not a criterion for assessment by any of the deciding bodies.
    There is also an underlying reason aslyum seekers are left for years in the hope they will get frustrated and leave .
    They are not 'left for years' waiting for decisions.

Their claims are processed rapidly in the initial stages, and after they get their final appeal, they may choose to pursue judicial review.

The reason the High Court's asylum list is longer than the ordinary judicial review list is because there are less judges and there is a backlog. These lists are managed by the court, and not by government at any level. The courts have no reason to prefer to delay and frustrate their own lists, so I have to say I think you're talking BS.

Advertisement