Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transformers Age of Extinction

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Bah, Grammer seems to be penciled in to play a human. For a minte there I thought it might be something else given his very low and UNIque voice...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Previous Transformers films have featured John Tuturro, Frances McDormand, John Malkovich, Alan Tudyk, Jon Voight and others. In the quality vacumn that is this franchise, no amount of theoretical acting talent can save us from that tour de **** that is a Michael Bay film.

This third sequel does not even deserve your most cautious, reserved optimism - it will be, guaranteed, absolute cack. Please, please, please ignore it - there's no shortage of other less repugnant films deserving your attention, some of which also feature giant robots.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Goldstein wrote: »
    Bah, Grammer seems to be penciled in to play a human. For a minte there I thought it might be something else given his very low and UNIque voice...

pfft, he's make a great sounding Transformer and all, although you would just be thinking Sideshow Bob throughout

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Given how utterly ... manic & generally OTT the performances from the big-name actors have been in these films, I don't imagine Grammer will be any different to the rest; worse probably, given how he's prone to a little ham now & again.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Given how utterly ... manic & generally OTT the performances from the big-name actors have been in these films, I don't imagine Grammer will be any different to the rest; worse probably, given how he's prone to a little ham now & again.

Grammer knows when to dial it all the way up to 11. The worst thing about the Last Stand, bar of course the script, direction, FX work, editing, etc was that Beast didn't get near enough screen time.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

He really was perfectly cast as beast, such a shame it had to in that film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

krudler wrote: »
    I really wish they'd just write the Transformers themselves as actual characters and not interchangeable, indistinguishable robots. We don't care about Shia, or his dumbass parents, or their humping everything dog, or his college friends or crazy boss, we. don't. care. Nobody, not one person went to see TF2 or 3 looking to see how Sam's story progressed, it's all about the Transformers. There's a huge backlog of mythology and stories to take from the TF universe, no need to write dumbed down stupid crap for these.

I wish I could thank this post twice.

Take TF1, there is what feel like dozens of human characters and the transformers themselves practically get one line each(apart from Bumblebee who doesnt get any)

There is no character development aside from good robots versus bad robots and all these people stuck in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

This third sequel does not even deserve your most cautious, reserved optimism - it will be, guaranteed, absolute cack. Please, please, please ignore it - there's no shortage of other less repugnant films deserving your attention, some of which also feature giant robots.

No, I shall watch it. We all know what it will be like and it will be an experience in the cinema no matter what.

I'm a huge TF fan. The films are what they are and there's no doubting the fact that they're deeply flawed and that many of us could have come up with better storylines and better characters. But at the same time they've not only resurrected a franchise that I hold dear but which was dead, but they've put it in a position where it's viable & extremely profitable and that has to be good for TF fans.

I don't believe that either of the recent TF (non-movie-tie-in) video games would have come out were it not for the Bay movies. I don't believe that some of the fantastic wave of comics that we've been treated to in recent years would have been published were it not for the Bay movies. And so I will financially support TF4. I'll go and for two and a half hours I dare say I'll actually quite enjoy it until I end up leaving and actually start to think about what I've just seen. If that's the price I pay for more TF stuff that is genuinely good then IMO it's a price worth paying and no movie snobbery from people with no shortage of other movies out there to watch if they don't like this one will tell me otherwise.

Everyone knows what to expect from the Bay TF films. If it's not your cup of tea then absolutely no one can blame you for that. But move on and please don't tell me not to watch them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I don't believe that either of the recent TF (non-movie-tie-in) video games would have come out were it not for the Bay movies. I don't believe that some of the fantastic wave of comics that we've been treated to in recent years would have been published were it not for the Bay movies. And so I will financially support TF4. I'll go and for two and a half hours I dare say I'll actually quite enjoy it until I end up leaving and actually start to think about what I've just seen. If that's the price I pay for more TF stuff that is genuinely good then IMO it's a price worth paying and no movie snobbery from people with no shortage of other movies out there to watch if they don't like this one will tell me otherwise.

Everyone knows what to expect from the Bay TF films. If it's not your cup of tea then absolutely no one can blame you for that. But move on and please don't tell me not to watch them.

I'd disagree somewhat that the games wouldn't exist without the films - indeed, the first successful Transformers game (the 2004 PS2 one) predated the film series by a good three years or so! The games directly affiliated with the film franchise have been poorly received - there is perhaps an argument that their failure somewhat influenced the successes of the Cybertron games, but I think they're banking more on nostalgia to the original cartoon series.

If you enjoy the films, fair enough, not going to argue with that. And I fully admit I have no nostalgic connection with Transformers one way or another - I think the cartoon movie is decent enough for what it is, but that's about it, so it's very easy for me to sit back and arrogantly ignore these movies! But I'm sure if I did like the franchise I'd rather see it rest in piece than see it mishandled cinematically in return for some comic books. It's like Weezer in music - I love their first two albums dearly, but I'd rather they never made an album again than provide the one or two serviceable songs they've released since. At a certain point, it's best to take solace in the good days. In film & TV I know there's a hell of a lot of franchises that fight a losing battle to remain fresh and relevant in the aftermath of their heydays.

Again, if you think it's worth it and there's stories still worth telling, that's a perfectly valid opinion. But I know from this thread and others there's lots of people who have been burned by the films to varying degrees. I don't think there's any hope this is going to be better than the previous films, and those who feel the same IMO should certainly make a stand and give this one a pass. Even if they want to see a genuinely worthy Transformers film - and hopefully Pacific Rim this summer will prove that, yes, it is possible to make an excellent big-budget movie in the vein of Transformers - it's unlikely that Michael Bay has the capability of providing it.

I just don't understand why they can't write the Transformers themselves as actual characters instead of generic robots, you can say "oh well its just big robots fighting" which is what the previous films have been with some godawful "comedy" in them, they're a spectacle sure, but they could be something more. I have a soft spot for some of Bay's movies but the TF movies are for the most part awful (the first one was fun at least) so I was hoping someone else would get to helm the fourth one and do away with all the toilet humour and childish jokes.

Set the entire thing on Cybertron I say, the human characters are pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

krudler wrote: »

Set the entire thing on Cybertron I say, the human characters are pointless.

More Than Meets The Eye the movie!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,578 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Source

Transformers 4 will premiere on June 27, 2014. It takes place four years after the events of Dark Side of the Moon. Scientists and business execs are attempting to harness Cybertronian technology, and things quickly get out of control. Mark Wahlberg will star as protagonist Flynn Vincent, who teams up with his daughter Tessa (Nicola Peltz), her boyfriend Shane (Jack Reynor) and his best friend (played by T.J. Mille)r. Kelsey Grammar, portrays Harold Attinger, the film's human bad guy. Stanley Tucci, Li Bingbing, Lucas Black and Sophia Myles will also appear in the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Source

Transformers 4 will premiere on June 27, 2014. It takes place four years after the events of Dark Side of the Moon. Scientists and business execs are attempting to harness Cybertronian technology, and things quickly get out of control. Mark Wahlberg will star as protagonist Flynn Vincent, who teams up with his daughter Tessa (Nicola Peltz), her boyfriend Shane (Jack Reynor) and his best friend (played by T.J. Mille)r. Kelsey Grammar, portrays Harold Attinger, the film's human bad guy. Stanley Tucci, Li Bingbing, Lucas Black and Sophia Myles will also appear in the film.

Doesn't that part pretty much sum up every Bay film ever made :pac:

Come to think of it, isn't Armageddon his slowest burner?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Is it bad that I cant remember if I watched TF3?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

miralize wrote: »
    Is it bad that I cant remember if I watched TF3?

Says more about the movie than it does you tbh.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Come to think of it, isn't Armageddon his slowest burner?

It's well over 90 minutes into it before they even get to the asteroid so probably, the first hour of it is great though love all the NASA training stuff, even if the timeline is ridiculous, Affleck manages to set up his own oil drilling company over a weekend apparently.

Also, it was deemed quicker and easier to train miners to become astronauts than it was to teach astronauts to use a drill.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Also, it was deemed quicker and easier to train miners to become astronauts than it was to teach astronauts to use a drill.

Ha yeah, its all done over like 18 days, which is nonsense. You'd wonder if anyone involved in the movie said "ehh, how could all these oil rig guys get so far away from the rig over two days?" Willis goes to NASA, gets told about the asteroid, then a day later they're looking for his crew in every corner of America, and Affleck SETS UP HIS OWN DRILLING COMPANY. ffs I can't get a replacement laser card that quickly. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, cos the training program was clearly the most unrealistic & unconvincing part of an otherwise watertight, narratively sound and understated film? :p:D

• Advertisement

Yeah, cos the training program was clearly the most unrealistic & unconvincing part of an otherwise watertight, narratively sound and understated film? :p:D

I liked everything up until they actually land on the asteroid then its a mess, the first hour is hugely entertaining though, Affleck's animal cracker shenanigans aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭OU812

Title revealed as "Age of Extinction". Teaser poster attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Kess73 wrote: »

I havent been this excited since i seen the first trailer for Pacific Rim...

Grimlock!!!!! woooop!

It could be awesome, however it could equally be awful

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

It'll be like the others - ridiculously awesome at the time and then head-scratching dumb when you think about it afterwards. Personally I massively enjoyed all three TF films in the cinema and I'm sure I'll enjoy this one. At the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

bay'll fuk it up.

he cant help himself.

i'll go as i want to see the dinos in action and theres a SLIM chance he'll portray grimlock properly as he's basically DONE it already with his psychotic prime

(i seriously doubt he'll see theres MEANT to be a difference between the two :) )

though i live in fea he may make them this films "twins" . on the plus side it should make a good DVD as when you can skip past all the shyte he insists on they can be very entertaining.

i just wish to fup the fanchise could get a decent director/writer to do the source material justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I'm pretty sure Bay hates these movies and the property in general. Loves money though.

Hehe, I can't help but laugh a little at how people here and elsewhere are still holding out hope, slim desperate and naive hope that this time it might be good. That Bay will finally create the Transformers film fans are hoping for. Fourth times the charm after all? But there'll be Dinobots!!? Michael Bay takes our money, abuses us, spits us out & yet we return to him every time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Michael Bay takes our money, abuses us, spits us out & yet we return to him every time. :)

Not me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Hehe, I can't help but laugh a little at how people here and elsewhere are still holding out hope, slim desperate and naive hope that this time it might be good. That Bay will finally create the Transformers film fans are hoping for. Fourth times the charm after all? But there'll be Dinobots!!? Michael Bay takes our money, abuses us, spits us out & yet we return to him every time. :)

Yeah. Maybe this time it will be decent.

Dinobots. A good excuse for them to not talk. Still dont understand why the autobots dont talk to each other.

Advertisement