Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transformers Age of Extinction

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭madness98

It doesn't seem like people are expecting much from this new film and after the previous Bay tries Transformers films I think I find myself in the same boat. Though at the same time, after the second film, did anyone really expect anything other than giant robots and explosions?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Anyone who went to any of the Transformers films, especially after the first one, not expecting exactly the film that they got needs their head examined, IMO. Even the first one. It's a Michael Bay film about huge robots at war with eachother FFS.

I love the source material, especially G1. I think it's perfectly possible to create a decent story out of a transformers film but at the same time I have to respect the fact that Bay has taken a dead franchise and turned it into one of the most successful in the World.

Plus G1 often didn't make sense, was incredibly goofy and had annoying characters. Other than getting Prime wrong, maybe one of Bay's issues is that intentionally or not he's been too close to the parts of the source material

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I'll be going to see it Massive Transformers fan since the G1 Cartoons up to Prime today which is great aswell read the comics, bought the toys what ever else

The 1st one was really good in my opinion as it was an origin story more or less and there usually great, It had Megatron as a really menacing villain (the only problem was he wasn't in it long enough) the final battle was actually good

2 was terrible bar Optimus, Bumblebee and Megatron all the other bots looked the same

3 although over long was a step back in the right direction , They focused alot more on the story of the bots been on earth , Dunno where the dinobots are going to fit in on this one but im looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Anyone who went to any of the Transformers films, especially after the first one, not expecting exactly the film that they got needs their head examined, IMO. Even the first one. It's a Michael Bay film about huge robots at war with eachother FFS.

l

All I want is a TF movie with the robots written as actual characters, nobody cares about the humans in these movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭madness98

krudler wrote: »
    All I want is a TF movie with the robots written as actual characters, nobody cares about the humans in these movies.

Very true. There was no Transformer character development in any of the Bay films which was a big disapointment. Made even worse by the ham fisted attempts at developing Shia LeBoeuf's character.

• Advertisement

madness98 wrote: »
    Very true. There was no Transformer character development in any of the Bay films which was a big disapointment. Made even worse by the ham fisted attempts at developing Shia LeBoeuf's character.

Sam can't get a girlfriend, Sam goes to college, Sam can't get a job, zzzzzz.

Then they went and turned Optimus Prime into a war criminal who spends most of the climax of the third film tangled in some ropes. Giant robot with laser sword for hand. Piffle says I.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

pixelburp wrote: »
    Michael Bay takes our money, abuses us, spits us out & yet we return to him every time. :)

I just know I can't resist. Robots AND dinosaurs??? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

They killed Starscream with an exploding claw - the series so far was a ####ing disgrace but that was tipping point for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

krudler wrote: »

I feel exactly the same way. Ratchett had I think 3 lines in the first movie. Someone needs to tell Bay that the robots are characters in a story not plot devices. I don't mind Shia La Boeuf so much but the amount of screen time given to his parents, the hot aussie hacker, the fat black hacker, the SpecOps team, the secretary of state, the Sector 7 guy, and the countless other human characters is ridiculous.

The original TF cartoon from the 80's had 1 regular human character, the rest of the drama was provided by the transformers themselves.

A previous poster said Bay has resurrected a dead franchise and turned it into a very profitable format, but in my opinion it has become profitable despite his input not because of. When TF1 came out I went and bought the Optimus Prime toy because I could afford it, and I couldn't afford it when I was 6. That purchase was more my hope for the brand than the actual quality.

The cartoon had only one or two human characters but the Transformers - one or two aside - were almost entirely interchangeable. I'm re-reading the G1 comic at the moment and the same is true for that. The stories are fine but there's zero characterisation or development.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Beefy78 wrote: »
    The cartoon had only one or two human characters but the Transformers - one or two aside - were almost entirely interchangeable. I'm re-reading the G1 comic at the moment and the same is true for that. The stories are fine but there's zero characterisation or development.

For me, it's not about giving the transformers dramatic character arcs so much. I just want to see them interact with each other as a team. I can only really remember a handful of scenes across the entire trilogy where the autobots talk to each other or devise some plan. The humans (aka the good old US of A) are always the focal point, the ones who use the piece of info Optimus gives to them (or that Shia figures out) to put a plan together. Also, they made it way too easy for humans to take down decepticons.

I'd love to see an approach more in line with the cartoon, where the autobots and decepticons are the lead characters. Won't happen though... until the whole series gets a reboot in 10 years time.

Bacchus wrote: »
    For me, it's not about giving the transformers dramatic character arcs so much. I just want to see them interact with each other as a team. I can only really remember a handful of scenes across the entire trilogy where the autobots talk to each other or devise some plan. The humans (aka the good old US of A) are always the focal point, the ones who use the piece of info Optimus gives to them (or that Shia figures out) to put a plan together. Also, they made it way too easy for humans to take down decepticons.

I'd love to see an approach more in line with the cartoon, where the autobots and decepticons are the lead characters. Won't happen though... until the whole series gets a reboot in 10 years time.

I do agree with this and there are characters in all of the films which are woefully underused.

I suspect that the placement of the human characters is less the fault of Michael Bay than it is the logistics of having huge animated robots in a life action film. Remember Peter Cullen saying that he was told in the first film that Prime was only going to be in a handful of scenes because of the cost of animating him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

MOC88 wrote: »
    They killed Starscream with an exploding claw - the series so far was a ####ing disgrace but that was tipping point for me

after mewling like a little bitch and flouncing about the place too.

at least he went out with style in the animated feature.

i DONT expect a TF film to be all transformers, just because the cost would be horrific.

but that doesnt mean when they are in it they cant behave like the characters theyre meant to be.

ratchet sums it up to me.

bots die right left and centre, INCLUDING prime, and he doesnt lift a finger once to try and help them.

he actually spends more screen time shooting than being a medic.

Megatron being goaded and outsmarted by the that dumb blonde rosie one in the 3rd one was unforgiveable in the series , especially as that movie was a big improvement on the horrible second one

If there bringing back Megatron in this one , He'd better be becoming Galvatron, he's been ressurected twice now already :/

Sorry it would be the 2nd time he's been ressurected

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

most of the posts here seem to be from the perspective that the transformers films were bad transformers films, when we seem to overlook how much they are simply bad on fundamental levels.

I mean the storyline of any of them just outright does not work at all when put side by side the storyline of any other. They dont fit at all.

Transformers 3:
    A spaceship carrying sentinel prime escapes cybertron and crashes on the moon in 1961. He prior to escaping had struck a deal with megatron to make peace and conquer earth.

Transformers 2:
    There have been transformers on earth since the beginning of time and have their **** hidden all over the gaff. Hell decepticons have infiltrated the US for decades, including impresonating their spyplanes, early automobiles and fighterplanes. And yet they didnt react to the moon crash nor did they react to megatrons arrival.

Transformers 1:
    Megatron crashlands on earth in 1897 while searching for the allspark and is frozen, moved to america and has hoover damn built over it. huh, odd way for him to broker a deal in 1961 when he was trapped under the hoover damn. Not to mention the shock of humans finding big robots in a spaceship on the moon................except they've had one in america for the last 30 or so years.

I skipped the third one in the cinema and only saw it months later on sky. It was not an improvement, the series is **** every single entry is rubbish, always will be ****, and shockingly if the reports on pain and gain is true, we might need to stop blaming micheal bay for how **** they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,897 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

movies-transformers-age-of-extinction-mark-wahlberg-nicola-peltz-jack-reynor.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Haha, yes, because everyone was keen as mustard to know how the humans looked! 4 movies in and still this franchise doesn't understand it's the robots that should be the star of the thing, not Michael Bay's "characters"...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,212 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    most of the posts here seem to be from the perspective that the transformers films were bad transformers films, when we seem to overlook how much they are simply bad on fundamental levels.

I mean the storyline of any of them just outright does not work at all when put side by side the storyline of any other. They dont fit at all.

Transformers 3:
    A spaceship carrying sentinel prime escapes cybertron and crashes on the moon in 1961. He prior to escaping had struck a deal with megatron to make peace and conquer earth.

Transformers 2:
    There have been transformers on earth since the beginning of time and have their **** hidden all over the gaff. Hell decepticons have infiltrated the US for decades, including impresonating their spyplanes, early automobiles and fighterplanes. And yet they didnt react to the moon crash nor did they react to megatrons arrival.

Transformers 1:
    Megatron crashlands on earth in 1897 while searching for the allspark and is frozen, moved to america and has hoover damn built over it. huh, odd way for him to broker a deal in 1961 when he was trapped under the hoover damn. Not to mention the shock of humans finding big robots in a spaceship on the moon................except they've had one in america for the last 30 or so years.

I skipped the third one in the cinema and only saw it months later on sky. It was not an improvement, the series is **** every single entry is rubbish, always will be ****, and shockingly if the reports on pain and gain is true, we might need to stop blaming micheal bay for how **** they are.

Not sure Pain and Gain proves anything, that material plays to Bay's strengths whereas Transformers is completely unsuited to him.

yup.

ive said it before and ill say it again.

we need a jj abrahms/nowlan.

and untill we get one were going to get this burtonesque bollocks that makes billions but are utter excerment on the film front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

pixelburp wrote: »
    Haha, yes, because everyone was keen as mustard to know how the humans looked! 4 movies in and still this franchise doesn't understand it's the robots that should be the star of the thing, not Michael Bay's "characters"...

I'm guessing they haven't finished the CG models yet though. Still, some concept art of some robos would be nice.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,212 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

yup.

ive said it before and ill say it again.

we need a jj abrahms/nowlan.

and untill we get one were going to get this burtonesque bollocks that makes billions but are utter excerment on the film front.

Abrams could make a great TF film, I would never have thought of Nolan as someone for a TF movie though, not that I wouldn't be chuffed if he did get the gig.

My personal choice would be Brad Bird though :)

Or even give it to a studio like Pixar, if it wasn't a live action movie it would give the film makers more freedom to ditch the crappy human characters and put the Transformers centre stage where they belong.

oh i'd love to see what brad bird could do.

im not a mad MI fan but i thought he did a great job on 4th one. getting a good wedge of heart and comedy in there without compromising the films drama.

the iron giant is proabably as close as well get though. pity.

i'd probably die if pixar was given the rights to adapts the old comics stories ala marvel/dc have been doing with their direct to video fare.

i'd kill for a "Target 2006" done in seniors style

:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    movies-transformers-age-of-extinction-mark-wahlberg-nicola-peltz-jack-reynor.jpg

That's some ass-grade photoshopping - Jack in the background looks like he's floating away!

Transformers 4 - Still b@stardizing my childhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

FutureGuy wrote: »
    That's some ass-grade photoshopping - Jack in the background looks like he's floating away!

Transformers 4 - Still b@stardizing my childhood.

At the risk of being too skeptical. People can look like they're floating away in genuine photographs too. :P The lightening looks pretty good. :o

Dammit Michael Bay, I wasn't arsed about seeing this and you had to have Optimus riding Grimlock into battle.

Thankfully Michael Bay hasn't received a single cent from me for any of his Transformers Movies.

itll STILL be shyte , we all KNOW THIS.

but ill be going too. :D:D:D

least this explains why sludge isnt in it. if he was done to scale with grimlock he'd be the size of a small village !

TBH the only thing i fear is we wont see him transform cause unless he's gonna be fighting trypticon or something he, and the other dinos, will tower over everyone else.

still he looks great, nice to see another TF that actually looks like he's meant to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Thankfully Michael Bay hasn't received a single cent from me for any of his Transformers Movies.

How so?

I can't watch any of his movies by the way, I just drop into these threads to see ye giving out about him.

• Advertisement

Grimlock. Damn you Michael Bay. There's no way this will any good but you've already won. Grimlock.

Advertisement