Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transformers Age of Extinction

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Its been a while since I watched the first one,and from what i can remember of it I really liked it, some of the action sequences in all three were very well done its the one thing michael Bay can do well, Im no fan boy so the inaccuracies in it dont really grate me to much.

What ruined the movies for me is some the dialogue and cheesiness along with some of the horrible characters like Leo Spitz and the cliched autobots. With Michael Bay at the helm Im not expecting much at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I'm hoping this film's profits funds 40 Paul Thomas Anderson movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,603 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Transformers 4 will be set four years after Dark of the Moon, Michael Bay has revealed.

"The movie is going to continue four years from the attack on Chicago, which was in the last movie," he said.

"It's going to have the same lineage, but it's going in a full new direction. It actually feels very natural how it's going in that direction... We're doing a lot of things that are really going to make it fresh and feel new."
    :rolleyes:

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

If they use Unicron as the main villain I'll give it a chance

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I assume Bay will be getting a new actor to voice Megatron after Weaving's less than complementary comments about working with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Megatron is more or less dead so that probaly fixes that particular problem

• Registered Users Posts: 85,578 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

e_e wrote: »
    I'm hoping this film's profits funds 40 Paul Thomas Anderson movies.

I'd say Marky Mark will take a share of the profits, might have been a condition of him signing on to star also as a co-producer

Out of curiousity how many from the franchise have dissed Bay so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I assume Bay will be getting a new actor to voice Megatron after Weaving's less than complementary comments about working with him.

Pardon my ignorance here, but what were these comments? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Out of curiousity how many from the franchise have dissed Bay so far?

Only Fox and Weaving as far as I know. Well publically at least. I believe Kate Beckinsale also fell out with him during Pearl Harbour. Sounds like he's hard to get on with.

Jernal wrote: »

Pardon my ignorance here, but what were these comments? :D

Weaving said how he knew nothing about Bay, having never met him and only seen his face on Skype. He went on to say his lines in the Transformers films were meaningless to him as he never read a script and just performed his lines.

Bay gets a lot of criticism for being difficult to work with but it's not like he's the only one. Christ look at Janes Cameron, a director few cast or crew actually like and who takes no crap from anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Weaving said how he knew nothing about Bay, having never met him and only seen his face on Skype. He went on to say his lines in the Transformers films were meaningless to him as he never read a script and just performed his lines.

Bay gets a lot of criticism for being difficult to work with but it's not like he's the only one. Christ look at Janes Cameron, a director few cast or crew actually like and who takes no crap from anyone.

In fairness most of the falling out was not really problems with how Bay is, it was more his directing ability and the way he makes films. Which is quite valid :pac:

If they use Unicron as the main villain I'll give it a chance

Oh I really hope not. What made Unicron excellent was Orson Welles' voice acting. Is there anyone acting right now that could carry the same weight?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

I'd love to have heard the sessions for Welles as Unicron. What the hell would he have made of it all?

Oh I really hope not. What made Unicron excellent was Orson Welles' voice acting. Is there anyone acting right now that could carry the same weight?

Well, considering he fell ill before they finished and Leonard Nimoy had to fill in for about half of his lines I'd say it wouldn't be all that difficult. A good Unicron impression really isn't that hard to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/250x250/24608250.jpg

;)

Galvasean wrote: »
    Well, considering he fell ill before they finished and Leonard Nimoy had to fill in for about half of his lines I'd say it wouldn't be all that difficult. A good Unicron impression really isn't that hard to do.

Any idea at which point the change happens? I'll have to rewatch it again with that in mind. Never heard that before.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Any idea at which point the change happens? I'll have to rewatch it again with that in mind. Never heard that before.

I don't think it's exactly known, but AFAIR Unicron's final line about destiny is 100% Nemoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭PaulB1984

To me, as somebody who grew up loving Transformers AND Michael Bay, the movie franchise is heaven to me. A perfect blend of comedy, silliness, incredible special effects, the AutoBots and Decepticons are amazing to watch and the action... Well, it's Michael Bay, so on the action front, these movies deliver more than FedEx at Christmas. The problem i have with Dark Of The Moon is the exclusion of Megan Fox for somebody far less interesting. But take it from me, i've been to see 2+3 (3 twice) at the cinema (Missed the first one sadly), and aside from me cheering, i witnessed nothing but love for them around the rooms, which is why 4 is going ahead. And bringing in Mark Wahlberg can only end brilliantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

PaulB1984 wrote: »
    To me, as somebody who grew up loving Transformers AND Michael Bay, the movie franchise is heaven to me. A perfect blend of comedy, silliness, incredible special effects, the AutoBots and Decepticons are amazing to watch and the action... Well, it's Michael Bay, so on the action front, these movies deliver more than FedEx at Christmas. The problem i have with Dark Of The Moon is the exclusion of Megan Fox for somebody far less interesting. But take it from me, i've been to see 2+3 (3 twice) at the cinema (Missed the first one sadly), and aside from me cheering, i witnessed nothing but love for them around the rooms, which is why 4 is going ahead. And bringing in Mark Wahlberg can only end brilliantly.

hqdefault.jpg

You, quite frankly, don't understand transformers at all if you think these films are doing them justice.

As someone else already pointed out in this thread, there was already an interpretation of Optimus Prime, for example, which would have been perfect for the Bay style films which he just seemed to be completely unable to grasp: That Optimus is aware he is a galatic level engine of destruction and contains himself in all but the most desperate of situations. It is his burden that an individual who wants nothing more than peace and brotherhood is bathed constantly in the blood of war. He's exceptionally good at violence and hates that he is. It is also why he appears so restrained most of the time.

That is one reason the character would simply never have behaved the way he did at the end of DOTM. Optimus would not execute Megatron when there is a chance to broker peace with him. In virtually any intepretation.

I don't even think the action is always that good in the Bayformers. The skyscraper sequence in DOTM was about 16 hours too long. In ROTF I was praying one of the autobots would just give Sam a lift to Optimus' body as it felt like it was taking a year for him to reach him while generic soldiers shot at generic cons.

I don't expect Bay to make something for the fanboys, although the Avengers and the current hugely successful run of Doctor Who might be bringing in an era of fanboy indulgence. But when the childrens cartoon Transformers: Prime is way more interesting than his films, with tonnes more character development in a single 20 minute episode than he's managed in any film really, you have to wonder.

• Advertisement

You, quite frankly, don't understand transformers at all if you think these films are doing them justice.

As someone else already pointed out in this thread, there was already an interpretation of Optimus Prime, for example, which would have been perfect for the Bay style films which he just seemed to be completely unable to grasp: That Optimus is aware he is a galatic level engine of destruction and contains himself in all but the most desperate of situations. It is his burden that an individual who wants nothing more than peace and brotherhood is bathed constantly in the blood of war. He's exceptionally good at violence and hates that he is. It is also why he appears so restrained most of the time.

That is one reason the character would simply never have behaved the way he did at the end of DOTM. Optimus would not execute Megatron when there is a chance to broker peace with him. In virtually any intepretation.

I don't even think the action is always that good in the Bayformers. The skyscraper sequence in DOTM was about 16 hours too long. In ROTF I was praying one of the autobots would just give Sam a lift to Optimus' body as it felt like it was taking a year for him to reach him while generic soldiers shot at generic cons.

I don't expect Bay to make something for the fanboys, although the Avengers and the current hugely successful run of Doctor Who might be bringing in an era of fanboy indulgence. But when the childrens cartoon Transformers: Prime is way more interesting than his films, with tonnes more character development in a single 20 minute episode than he's managed in any film really, you have to wonder.

My memories of Transformers comes from sitting around in the schoolyard with my mates playing with our Transformer toys (And their many rip-offs, including a wonderful line of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles transforming toys), we created our own storylines, our own adventures, our own characters as such. There would be the one kid who would pipe up and tell us what we're doing was wrong and that the cartoon series should be what we followed. But for any fans of the toys here with those memories, my ideas were rather similar to Michael Bay's, as in "Hey lads, let's bang these fellas together and create lots of noise and sound effects!". While i remember quite liking the TV show, it needs to be known that the toys came first and that a young lad's ideas of how they worked were not based on a history on the characters, they were based on how much fun we could have. I completely get that Optimus Prime would not do what he did at the end of DOTM with Megatron and Sentinel Prime in the cartoon, but my Optimus Prime toy destroyed everything that stood in his way, that's how i wanted him to be, and now that's how Michael Bay made him. As for the skyscraper scene, even i found it really long, but not in the way i find Bill Murray's speech at the end of Scrooged long. The DOTM finale is incredible, it is long, but it is epic.

I don't think any Transformers story will beat this...

The DOTM finale is incredible, it is long, but it is epic.

I found it really, really boring, and relies once again on Optimus Prime behaving out of character (allowing thousands of humans to die while in hiding to prove his point) and much of it is rather pointless (the teleportation macguffin gets taken out with zero effort after we watch humans spend about 45 minutes trying to get near it).

Why spend all that time building up Shockwave just for him to be an after thought?

It's just bad, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

I just watched that Third movie on the basis of this thread. I think I had the same reaction as I did for the other two installments, namely that it was an uneven, entertaining in parts movie that just collapsed under the weight of it's own ending. The movie was running about 6/10 until that final battle but I ended up giving it a 3/10.

Also was it just me or did Bay seem to be having a bit of a Dark Knight hard-on during the movie? The Chicago locations, the score seemed similar in places, and he even had Optimus Prime's trailer crashing on the very same street as iconic Dark Knight truck trip-up/crash (tho the Prime crash was a rather pathetic looking thing by comparison). TBH If this movie did anything it just made me want to watch The Dark Knight again. Ironically tho (unlike practically every other Chicago film I've ever seen) it didn't make me want to go visit Chicago!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,989 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I don't think any Transformers story will beat this...

Dinobot cocked that laser gun twice.

plus it was a laser gun. Im confused.

My memories of Transformers comes from sitting around in the schoolyard with my mates playing with our Transformer toys (And their many rip-offs, including a wonderful line of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles transforming toys), we created our own storylines, our own adventures, our own characters as such. There would be the one kid who would pipe up and tell us what we're doing was wrong and that the cartoon series should be what we followed. But for any fans of the toys here with those memories, my ideas were rather similar to Michael Bay's, as in "Hey lads, let's bang these fellas together and create lots of noise and sound effects!". While i remember quite liking the TV show, it needs to be known that the toys came first and that a young lad's ideas of how they worked were not based on a history on the characters, they were based on how much fun we could have. I completely get that Optimus Prime would not do what he did at the end of DOTM with Megatron and Sentinel Prime in the cartoon, but my Optimus Prime toy destroyed everything that stood in his way, that's how i wanted him to be, and now that's how Michael Bay made him. As for the skyscraper scene, even i found it really long, but not in the way i find Bill Murray's speech at the end of Scrooged long. The DOTM finale is incredible, it is long, but it is epic.

Witha all due respect, I think a film should aim to be more than the manifestation of a kids' playtime toybox fantasy.
    Overheal wrote: »
    Dinobot cocked that laser gun twice.

plus it was a laser gun. Im confused.

He's a sentient robot from another planet (and also the future) who can transform into a Velociraptor. He can do as he pleases. :cool:

I don't think it's exactly known, but AFAIR Unicron's final line about destiny is 100% Nemoy.

Yeah, it's one of those factoids which, while not made public at the time, is well known among the fandom. It's not certain exactly which lines are whose though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

I agree with PaulB,
    I've enjoyed all the bay movies because I look at it as road back into my childhood, remembering the toys and the cartoons.
    I know it all moved on and we got more back stories going on.

I do hate bay, you could cut out half the movie sure. Ah well I'm in the minority I know!
    Maybe I'm just distracted by the nice shiny CGI!
    I'm sure it's being mentioned but if you need the fix of old school transformers, the war for cybertron is excellent.

Witha all due respect, I think a film should aim to be more than the manifestation of a kids' playtime toybox fantasy.

He's a sentient robot from another planet (and also the future) who can transform into a Velociraptor. He can do as he pleases. :cool:

Isn't that what the cartoon did? Aim torward a kid's fantasy? I need to mention something here, i'm a huge Michael Bay fan, not just a casual liker, an actual fan, his movies bring me more joy than you can imagine, i consider him the master of true action movies, a man who rather than trying to be fancy and original, chooses to be epic and explosive, which is a true action movie to me. Now mixing him with possibly the most beloved children's toys (At least until Buzz Lightyear) would either be a risk, or would pay off. I think the fact that the first 3 movies have made close to 3 billion dollars between them and a fourth one demanded by Paramount shows that it really has paid off. These movies are what people like me want to see, our fantasies come through, all those crazy stories we cooked up with our toys in the sandpit of a schoolyard, brought to life by the most psychotic genius in action cinema. Yes there are people who sneer at them, critics included, but the fact that such people have never stopped any of the entries filling cinema screenings for months on end must show the true power of the franchise.

• Advertisement

I found it really, really boring, and relies once again on Optimus Prime behaving out of character (allowing thousands of humans to die while in hiding to prove his point) and much of it is rather pointless (the teleportation macguffin gets taken out with zero effort after we watch humans spend about 45 minutes trying to get near it).

Why spend all that time building up Shockwave just for him to be an after thought?

It's just bad, tbh.

I wondered that too, why Optimus waited, but then realised he had to, the element of surprise is needed, had they revealed themselves to be alive, they'd have been destroyed in the attacks. Always best to let the oven cool down before sticking your arms in. I kinda agree on the teleportation thing, but again, no other way in movie writing terms to destroy it without forsaking the level of action needed for the finale. And the Shockwave scene, yes it ends a little quickly, but for as long as he's there, WOW!

Advertisement