Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

social media and on the dole?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    What I'd like to know is how can a person on the dole afford a computer? Obviously we're giving him too much.
    Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    He'd better be. And while he's at it he can stop wasting library funds posting crap on facebook.

What a miserable resentful way of looking at life.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I left Ireland 2.5 years ago. When leaving I didn't work the full year and could have claimed a nice lump sum of money back in taxes and decided not to. Since I've been in the states, I can claim charitable donations back on my taxes. I donate to Irish charities and can't\don't claim these back on my taxes over here.

I like to be an individual and live the life I want to live. Right now I don't have a family so I can afford to be selfless and live by my own ideals
    Do you want a medal or something?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I'm an immigrant - so I honestly don't understand this. But isn't the whole point of the dole to take it?

There are countries where you pay virtually no income tax at all. And when you lose your job, you're screwed. But here, you pay a lot of taxes. PAYE, VAT, and a million other small taxes. I thought the idea was that, when you needed it, you could count on social benefits?

If someone works for 40 years, but spends 2 years on the dole, they've still paid more than they got. Why should they be shameful for collecting the dole?

It's like car insurance. You pay a little, and when you need to, you file a claim for what you are due, right? Is there shame in someone hitting your car and you collecting money from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

UCDVet wrote: »
    I'm an immigrant - so I honestly don't understand this. But isn't the whole point of the dole to take it?

There are countries where you pay virtually no income tax at all. And when you lose your job, you're screwed. But here, you pay a lot of taxes. PAYE, VAT, and a million other small taxes. I thought the idea was that, when you needed it, you could count on social benefits?

If someone works for 40 years, but spends 2 years on the dole, they've still paid more than they got. Why should they be shameful for collecting the dole?

It's like car insurance. You pay a little, and when you need to, you file a claim for what you are due, right? Is there shame in someone hitting your car and you collecting money from it?

There is a tiny minority who don't work and never will work and i believe they should be cut off and forced into work whether it be community service or training. Some on here though feel that everyone who is on the dole are social pariahs and think it's ok to look down their noses at people who are not 24/7 looking for work. One in particular seems to have let his emotions cloud his judgement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

What a miserable resentful way of looking at life.

Does it really surprise you at this stage?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

There is a tiny minority who don't work and never will work and i believe they should be cut off and forced into work whether it be community service or training. Some on here though feel that everyone who is on the dole are social pariahs and think it's ok to look down their noses at people who are not 24/7 looking for work. One in particular seems to have let his emotions cloud his judgement.

Ahh - I gotcha. Sorry, that actually makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

There is a tiny minority who don't work and never will work and i believe they should be cut off and forced into work whether it be community service or training.

I think it's unfair to say that anyone will never work. How are you so cock sure (to use your own words) that they won't ever work? I hear that a lot too, and I can tell you from experience again that people will work when they are motivated and want to contribute to society. Agreements have been made with the DSP to allow people on the live register to partake in volunteer work with registered charities, and those who want to work, will work.

Some on here though feel that everyone who is on the dole are social pariahs and think it's ok to look down their noses at people who are not 24/7 looking for work.

It's a good thing for me then that I never considered anyone in society a social pariah, because they are just as much a part of that society as you or I am, and deserve as much respect as you or I do. My wife often laments the fact that she feels people look down on her because she doesn't feel she is contributing to society. It goes completely over her head that without her doing what she does, I wouldn't be able to do what I do, and our child wouldn't be who he is if she had not chosen to give up her career. She has contributed an awful lot to society, but she doesn't see it that way, because of the stigma of being a stay at home mother.

You'll always get someone looking down their nose at you (you yourself aren't immune to it either, as you seek to continue to look down your nose at me. I'm fine for food btw thanks), but whether you choose to validate their judgment of you or not, is completely within your control. You can choose to respond to it, or you can choose to ignore it.

One in particular seems to have let his emotions cloud his judgement.

Indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

The one thing I've always wondered about the argument of "cutting people off" from welfare is what people think will be the impact it will have on wider society?

The more deprived someone is the more desparate one becomes, which in turn means an upcurve in petty/street crime.

What's the solution if it comes to that? Bang people up in jail? If what probation services are saying is true then that's not going to be a feasible solution anymore for low level crime.

The one thing I've always wondered about the argument of "cutting people off" from welfare is what people think will be the impact it will have on wider society?

The more deprived someone is the more desparate one becomes, which in turn means an upcurve in petty/street crime.

What's the solution if it comes to that? Bang people up in jail? If what probation services are saying is true then that's not going to be a feasible solution anymore for low level crime.

I've often thought about this too. We already have a lot of crime as it is in these disadvantaged areas, or whatever you wish to call them, where there would be a large proportion of people living off social welfare and you often hear people blaming the "cushy welfare system", at least partially, for this. But why would that change if their dole was cut/reduced? They already act like absolute scumbags when they're being "looked after", so why would they behave any better if they were given less?

In my opinion it's just an unfortunate fact of life in Ireland that certain people will make the choice that they're never going to work, and it's probably in society's best interests to keep them happy. If they cut people's dole in the morning there would be riots all over the country, and we're not even near equipped enough to deal with something like that. I'm not saying they shouldn't be encourage to work/volunteer/get educated, or that my (admittedly) apathetic outlook should be part of government policy, but I genuinely think that is the reality of the situation.

*prepares self for onslaught of rebukes and rebuttals*

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Czarcasm wrote: »
    It's a good thing for me then that I never considered anyone in society a social pariah, because they are just as much a part of that society as you or I am, and deserve as much respect as you or I do.

You were describing people as 'able-bodied wasters' and 'monkeys' just a few hours ago. Yesterday they were 'misguided wasters' and 'vocal wasters that contribute nothing to society'.

Where's the respect there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

Irishguy16 wrote: »
    I just logged into my Facebook account and noticed an acquaintance of mine put up a status saying "Busy day tomorrow, have to get my dole and then go into town". This status really annoyed me a lot. Does this person have no shame? Is he trying to glorify the fact that he gets free money? I have no time whatsoever for people who refuse to work when there are jobs out there. How is he not embarrassed about being on the dole and why is he letting his entire friend list know that he is lazy? If that was me I would be mortified.I'm not trying to start an argument because I know that not everyone on the dole is lazy and people do have the potential to get somewhere in life. I am temped to write him a status, but I know that I will lose the head completely and offend him

I have seen worse- a former friend used to have great fun mocking 'straights' with jobs. She didn't want a job, she made that known- she thought she was well above working and that she was special, as an artist and creative person, and wasted on the grubby little jobs that 'straights' do (because 'straights' are eejits, of course).
    She took pride in pointing out that she had *chosen* the lower-class life/slumming it in a council flat and being heavily subsidised by her very affluent parents.

She was very a-typical of people on the dole, I think. An extreme example.

osarusan wrote: »
    You were describing people as 'able-bodied wasters' and 'monkeys' just a few hours ago. Yesterday they were 'misguided wasters' and 'vocal wasters that contribute nothing to society'.

Where's the respect there?

It's there when I have enough respect for them to tell them to their face instead of bleating about it on social media that they are able bodied wasters, monkeys, misguided wasters and vocal wasters that contribute nothing to society, although not necessarily in that order.

No need for the quote unquotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

I see it's that time of day where everyone attacks everyone else *backs out slowly*

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

It's there when I have enough respect for them to tell them to their face instead of bleating about it on social media that they are able bodied wasters, monkeys, misguided wasters and vocal wasters that contribute nothing to society, although not necessarily in that order.

What a poor, and slightly ironic response.

anna080 wrote: »

If you've read the OP, you'll realise there's no irony there.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭mcko

What annoys me is that an under class on welfare suits the government, they are happy getting the few bob every week, rent allowance is the norm now not a council house so private landlords are looked after, they don't vote so won't put left wing parties in power, their kids are not encouraged to go to third level thus taking places from the middle classes.
    All the poor leave for their kids is poverty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

mcko wrote: »
    What annoys me is that an under class on welfare suits the government, they are happy getting the few bob every week, rent allowance is the norm now not a council house so private landlords are looked after, they don't vote so won't put left wing parties in power, their kids are not encouraged to go to third level thus taking places from the middle classes.
    All the poor leave for their kids is poverty.

Yeah that's right poor people don't have any aspirations. Nobody from a poor family ever did well.

Yeah that's right poor people don't have any aspirations. Nobody from a poor family ever did well.

I am not saying that but by and large it is true. I wish it was different but that's the way the powers that be want it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I would pay good money to watch you say that to the faces of the kind of people you are describing, the dole lifers.

I am not saying that but by and large it is true. I wish it was different but that's the way the powers that be want it.

So you are saying it then.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

I would pay good money to watch you say that to the faces of the kind of people you are describing, the dole lifers.

It's because I don't describe them that way that they've never had the motivation to punch my lights out. They think I'm nuts, but they're more interested in proving me wrong than they are in getting violent. I don't mind when I'm proven wrong in those circumstances, and many of the people I've worked with have gone on to third level education and abroad, or stayed in their local community and helped other people.

As for the good money you're willing to pay, I'd prefer if you donated it to a charity of your choice instead, I work with these people for free, and you're more than welcome to join me some time.

It is a fact and yes I am saying it, I wish it was different but look at any third level campus and see how many poor kids are there, not many it is the lottery of birth, I don't know what the answer is, maybe stop paying kids to have kids.

It is a fact and yes I am saying it, I wish it was different but look at any third level campus and see how many poor kids are there, not many it is the lottery of birth, I don't know what the answer is, maybe stop paying kids to have kids.

As a student I can confirm that your assertions are absolute bullshit. I know as many "rich kids" who aren't attending third-level than "poor kids" who are.

I'm a "poor kid", by the way. Don't ask me how I ended up in university :rolleyes:

It's because I don't describe them that way that they've never had the motivation to punch my lights out. They think I'm nuts, but they're more interested in proving me wrong than they are in getting violent. I don't mind when I'm proven wrong in those circumstances, and many of the people I've worked with have gone on to third level education and abroad, or stayed in their local community and helped other people.

As for the good money you're willing to pay, I'd prefer if you donated it to a charity of your choice instead, I work with these people for free, and you're more than welcome to join me some time.

Oh my god get over yourself.

Oh my god get over yourself.

To quote you in your own words -

Fight me, Czarcasm. :P

To quote you in your own words -

Lol.

As a student I can confirm that your assertions are absolute bullshit. I know as many "rich kids" who aren't attending third-level than "poor kids" who are.

I'm a "poor kid", by the way. Don't ask me how I ended up in university :rolleyes:

You don't need to use words like that,
    There was a report in the local paper a few weeks ago abd I think was 10 to 1 from schools in poor areas.
    You were one of the lucky ones and well done but if you belive that third level is equal then you are pretty innocent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Oh hey dole thread, its been a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

5, 4,3,2,1, LET THE 2014 DOLE BASHING GAMES COMMENCE !

shouldnt that be "5, 4, 3 ,2 ,1, Let the Sponger Games begin, may the odds be ever in your favour" ?

24 dole claimants 12 men 12 women selected to fight to the death so the winner gets an xmas bonus

Advertisement