Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

social media and on the dole?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Oh ...the daily dole thread. Where the "workers" give out about the unemployed.

Dear Employed People,

You'll not be minimum wagers or scambridge (they have to be seen to be working) so probably employed in a job that comes with computer access and little supervision.
    Did daddy tell you you were destined for great things and a little helping hand wouldn't hurt ? Did mum say you're smarter than that waster friend of yours on Facebook who can't even get a job ?

Try some truth.

You are employed.
    You are not special.
    You are average at best. Spectacular in a good moment.
    You will die.

Only the first sentence sets you apart from the rest of humanity. And its a very fragile thing to use as a means of self-esteem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

KungPao wrote: »
    Lazy bastards, the lot of them. Plenty of jobs out there, deli staff, cleaning staff etc. Just because you may have spent thousands getting a COLLAGE education , they think they they are too good to clean toilets in Supermacs.

€8.65 is a great wage, they should be happy to get that.

If not, just put your skills to good use by doing an internship and increase some company's profits. And for an extra €50, great life for them on that money.

Bloody scroungers.

I take it that you didn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

Irishguy16 wrote: »
    I just logged into my Facebook account and noticed an acquaintance of mine put up a status saying "Busy day tomorrow, have to get my dole and then go into town". This status really annoyed me a lot. Does this person have no shame? Is he trying to glorify the fact that he gets free money? I have no time whatsoever for people who refuse to work when there are jobs out there. How is he not embarrassed about being on the dole and why is he letting his entire friend list know that he is lazy? If that was me I would be mortified.I'm not trying to start an argument because I know that not everyone on the dole is lazy and people do have the potential to get somewhere in life. I am temped to write him a status, but I know that I will lose the head completely and offend him
    Just delete him as a "friend". I'd say he will be gutted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I take it that you didn't?
    I did go to collage actually. One of the most prestigious collages in Ireland, I'll have you know.

---

The whole post was tongue in cheek btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Ah yes, it's after hours weekly re-enactment of the Monty Python "Four Yorkshiremen" sketch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FatHLHG2uGY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

They have the audacity to call others out for being too lazy to protest the water charges but they can't seem to understand that if you're working 40+ hrs a week, it's probably more important to you to spend Saturday afternoon getting your house in order rather than protesting about a charge (not a tax) that is long overdue. Someone might be living the life of Reilly as a housewife having never worked a day in their lives with 3 children supported by the tax payer and a sperm donor who *of course* doesn't live with them but has fathered those 3 children, however others may be trying to set a proper example for their children and (since they work for it) know the value of healthcare, water, electricity, gas etc etc. I've even seen people living in council houses whinging about property tax!

If your wish to have a family and be a "full time Mommy" is 100% funded by the taxpayer then they will also be picking up your water bill.

Do you just type whatever comes into your head? That's a completely stereotypical view. Also, no-one who looks after 3 children on the dole has the life of Reilly.

Do you write for the Independent, by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I did go to collage actually. One of the most prestigious collages in Ireland, I'll have you know.

---

The whole post was tongue in cheek btw.

Were you shoved in the back door?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Because he's on the dole, he's lazy, but other dole claimants aren't? How do you know he's not going into town for an interview?

Yeah, because when you have a job interview the biggest part of your day that you need to announce to your friends is not that but that you're collecting your dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

They have the audacity to call others out for being too lazy to protest the water charges but they can't seem to understand that if you're working 40+ hrs a week, it's probably more important to you to spend Saturday afternoon getting your house in order rather than protesting about a charge (not a tax) that is long overdue. Someone might be living the life of Reilly as a housewife having never worked a day in their lives with 3 children supported by the tax payer and a sperm donor who *of course* doesn't live with them but has fathered those 3 children, however others may be trying to set a proper example for their children and (since they work for it) know the value of healthcare, water, electricity, gas etc etc. I've even seen people living in council houses whinging about property tax!

If your wish to have a family and be a "full time Mommy" is 100% funded by the taxpayer then they will also be picking up your water bill.
    Ah here. I understand your annoyance at those who whinge about others not protesting, and there are sponges out there (far less than is believed though) but life of Reilly when you're a single parent on benefits and have three children?
    It isn't always a case that the father is just a sperm donor either. Could simply be an ended relationship.
    I don't know about the water charge either - we have been paying for water, even if it didn't have the label "water charge" on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Went to Uni myself, but I'm dying to know what a 'collage' actually is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

MOD

Jaysus lads we get it, he/she spelt college wrong, can we move on please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Being seen collecting your dole or spelling college wrong.. I dont know which is more awky momos

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    MOD

Jaysus lads we get it, he/she spelt college wrong, can we move on please

It's Jesus :P

*Runs*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Can I please clarify that I meant to spell "college" incorrectly :p

I am very tired today and my brain is not working so well, so my tongue-in-cheek posts may not have made sense.

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Why?

What's there to be ashamed of?

Happily declaring to 300+ people that I can't support myself and need handouts? I'd keep it to myself thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Happily declaring to 300+ people that I can't support myself and need handouts? I'd keep it to myself thanks

You should have. I think the deeper issue is not the dole but why people use facebook, id be more ashamed of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

If you were laid off you'd feel you'd better not claim while job searching?
    Sure thang...

Obviously you know there's no shame in that. Silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

So saying "I've a busy day ahead, gotta collect my dole then head to town" is now considered "happily declaring" that you can't support yourself and need "handouts"?

Do you see people on the dole as something to be ashamed of|? Should they be locked away and not spoken of like the bastard children of single mothers in 50's Ireland? :rolleyes:

If you were laid off you'd feel you'd better not claim while job searching?
    Sure thang...

Obviously you know there's no shame in that. Silly.

Are you deliberately misinterpreting me? My issue isn't collecting the dole. My issue is the "off to collect the dole lol" posts some people happily make on facebook. Only scroungers happily declare they are getting the dole on social media. A person that's laid off would never post something like that.

• Advertisement

So saying "I've a busy day ahead, gotta collect my dole then head to town" is now considered "happily declaring" that you can't support yourself and need "handouts"?

Do you see people on the dole as something to be ashamed of|? Should they be locked away and not spoken of like the bastard children of single mothers in 50's Ireland? :rolleyes:

Feel free to think that's what I posted. It isn't, but what can I do if you're going to misinterpret what I post regardless?

Feel free to think that's what I posted. It isn't, but what can I do if you're going to misinterpret what I post regardless?

You are the one claiming that people shouldn't be talking about going to the dole on social media! Do you see the dole as something to be ashamed of? Do you look down at people on the dole?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

There's no shame in going for a ****e either but who needs to know that on facebook?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I wouldn't put up a status about claiming the dole myself. I wouldn't like being on the dole so I would feel no need to tell people that i'm claiming it

There's no shame in going for a ****e either but who needs to know that on facebook?

I don't understand the reasoning behind anyone posting their daily itinerary or letting people know where they are at every minute of the day but i certainly wouldn't sneer and look down on someone just because they are collecting dole payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 akkakkman

Went to Uni myself, but I'm dying to know what a 'collage' actually is.

What Uni?

Collage is a technique of an art production, primarily used in the visual arts, where the artwork is made from an assemblage of different forms, thus creating a new whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

What I'd like to know is how can a person on the dole afford a computer? Obviously we're giving him too much.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    What I'd like to know is how can a person on the dole afford a computer? Obviously we're giving him too much.

Or he posted from the library where he may have been getting cv's printed out :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Certainly reads that way.

Quite the leap in comparisons you're making there, equating people on social welfare with young unmarried mothers and their children who were forced into intolerable cruelty and ignored by society. The person that can afford an internet connection, let alone be posting nonsense on Facebook, is hardly that badly off.

Should they be ashamed that they have to claim social welfare payments?

No, but a bit of humility would be nice.

Advertisement