Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

social media and on the dole?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Since it seems a lot of people have no issue with what this guy posted on facebook, I'm going to start posting every month 'Getting my massive payslip tomorrow!!' on Facebook. Sure that must be fine too

You should post it on here too, wider audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

Id say unfriend him if you have that little respect for him.
    He might of being trying to make light of the situation. Have to get your laughs somewhere but if your easy offended or angered id avoid the internet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Osvaldo

Sub-human scum!! Makes me sick! They shouldn't be allowed internet!

Let them use telephone!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I don't know which people are more annoying. The ones that get annoyed with people who get upset about the dole when working and paying taxes or the people who get upset when somebody gets upset about it.

Back in pre-dole days, the place I grew up in, Galway had close to 10% on the live register and that's not even a reflection of the total number getting a weekly allowance. So, I can get why people get upset about those on the dole.

A lot of people want to work. And in some cases even are willing to work a minimum wage paying job but can't find work. Some again, even paid plenty in income tax while times were good before they lost their job and get upset at those who get upset about the dole. I also understand that...

So maybe there should be a meeting down the middle. When dole bashing occurs, those who actually worked and are simply living off some of the taxes they already paid shouldn't be offended by the bashing. Those doing the bashing should be more considerate when bashing and should try to qualify their bashing as not to generalize too much and only call out the scroungers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I don't know which people are more annoying. The ones that get annoyed with people who get upset about the dole when working and paying taxes or the people who get upset when somebody gets upset about it.

Back in pre-dole days, the place I grew up in, Galway had close to 10% on the live register and that's not even a reflection of the total number getting a weekly allowance. So, I can get why people get upset about those on the dole.

A lot of people want to work. And in some cases even are willing to work a minimum wage paying job but can't find work. Some again, even paid plenty in income tax while times were good before they lost their job and get upset at those who get upset about the dole. I also understand that...

So maybe there should be a meeting down the middle. When dole bashing occurs, those who actually worked and are simply living off some of the taxes they already paid shouldn't be offended by the bashing. Those doing the bashing should be more considerate when bashing and should try to qualify their bashing as not to generalize too much and only call out the scroungers

But the scroungers don't care, and never will, so the bashing is pointless. The only people who'll get offended are the genuine jobseekers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I'll be the dark horse in this thread ...
    Why shouldn't the person that the op knows take everything he can get? why not work the system? .. if he was going into town to blow his money away (or whatever he was doing) then so be it.

So he's only the dole and said he was collecting it and spending a busy day in town. Who cares.

But the scroungers don't care, and never will, so the bashing is pointless. The only people who'll get offended are the genuine jobseekers.

Maybe they shouldn't be so easily offended then? If it is them, why do they care what some random w*nker on the internet thinks?

If I was to guess, I'd think the ones who do care are those who feel threatened or at least less secure in themselves. Possibly those who had a decent job for a few years in the good time and spent foolishly, are currently on the dole and paying off a debt they'll never make a dent in. All the while refusing to consider a job which they view as below them. I've personally known many people like this. They were very hush hush about collecting the dole and being unemployed for the first couple of years but then when it became so widespread they started joining in that group and having a group mentality.

We seem to have this deal, that no matter what we're at and how ****e things are. To our not so close friends or strangers we put on this face that it's the best thing ever. Like going on holidays to a ****e resort is the best holiday ever babez. Australia is amazing babez....when it reality, they tell their close friends how ****e everything is...might be along those lines of thinking that the Irish are bad about talking about our feelings...

I'll be the dark horse in this thread ...
    Why shouldn't the person that the op knows take everything he can get? why not work the system? .. if he was going into town to blow his money away (or whatever he was doing) then so be it.

So he's only the dole and said he was collecting it and spending a busy day in town. Who cares.

Take everything he get legitimately, I assume? If he's not trying to get work then he shouldn't get a cent..IMO. Not sure if that's true for that fella though.

We're probably better served as a people to stop with the mentality that "sure isn't he right to take all he can get, sure look at what the bankers and polticians are walking away with". One wrong doing shouldn't justify another. They should all be addressed rather than both accepted, IMO. But again that's assuming the OP is p*ssed because the guy isn't attempting to work

Take everything he get legitimately, I assume? If he's not trying to get work then he shouldn't get a cent..IMO. Not sure if that's true for that fella though.

We're probably better served as a people to stop with the mentality that "sure isn't he right to take all he can get, sure look at what the bankers and polticians are walking away with". One wrong doing shouldn't justify another. They should all be addressed rather than both accepted, IMO. But again that's assuming the OP is p*ssed because the guy isn't attempting to work

get what you can get
    work the system
    work people
    look out for yourself / family

I ask a very honest question to you ... do you not hold the same as mentioned above?

get what you can get
    work the system
    work people
    look out for yourself / family

I ask a very honest question to you ... do you not hold the same as mentioned above?

I left Ireland 2.5 years ago. When leaving I didn't work the full year and could have claimed a nice lump sum of money back in taxes and decided not to. Since I've been in the states, I can claim charitable donations back on my taxes. I donate to Irish charities and can't\don't claim these back on my taxes over here.

I like to be an individual and live the life I want to live. Right now I don't have a family so I can afford to be selfless and live by my own ideals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I left Ireland 2.5 years ago. When leaving I didn't work the full year and could have claimed a nice lump sum of money back in taxes and decided not to. Since I've been in the states, I can claim charitable donations back on my taxes. I donate to Irish charities and can't\don't claim these back on my taxes over here.

I like to be an individual and live the life I want to live. Right now I don't have a family so I can afford to be selfless and live by my own ideals

...you're either lying or are unbelievably stupid. Claim back the tax. Otherwise its going towards servicing gambling debts that a corrupt and idiotic government signed off on. Even if you don't do this, do not tell your current bosses any of this. They will think little of you.

I can make up stories too.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

They have the audacity to call others out for being too lazy to protest the water charges but they can't seem to understand that if you're working 40+ hrs a week, it's probably more important to you to spend Saturday afternoon getting your house in order rather than protesting about a charge (not a tax) that is long overdue. Someone might be living the life of Reilly as a housewife having never worked a day in their lives with 3 children supported by the tax payer and a sperm donor who *of course* doesn't live with them but has fathered those 3 children, however others may be trying to set a proper example for their children and (since they work for it) know the value of healthcare, water, electricity, gas etc etc. I've even seen people living in council houses whinging about property tax!

If your wish to have a family and be a "full time Mommy" is 100% funded by the taxpayer then they will also be picking up your water bill.

people who post their occupation as full time mommy , give me the scresming ****es

...you're either lying or are unbelievably stupid. Claim back the tax. Otherwise its going towards servicing gambling debts that a corrupt and idiotic government signed off on. Even if you don't do this, do not tell your current bosses any of this. They will think little of you.

Then I guess I'm incredibly stupid. The only people I've told that to are my parents and one other time on here (which is anonymous). I haven't gone bragging about it to people. Also, I'm working in a very specialized area at the moment that's in high demand. I've saved a lot of money in the last 3 years. I'm in a great position. I can afford to take the stances I do right now. It's fulfilling.

Now, When I have kids in the future. That will change. I know that. Every decision I make will be based on what's best for them. But for now. WEEEEEEEEE!

I can make up stories too.

Just like with the dole threads. Only the people reading and posting know themselves if they are scroungers for sure. This is an anonymous enough thread. You can claim I make up stories but what do I care, I know it's the truth. I can live with some randomer on the internet thinking I'm lying. Whatever :cool:

Just like with the dole threads. Only the people reading and posting know themselves if they are scroungers for sure. This is an anonymous enough thread. You can claim I make up stories but what do I care, I know it's the truth. I can live with some randomer on the internet thinking I'm lying. Whatever :cool:

I read your reply to FloatingVoter.
    Nothing more than bigging yourself up. As I said i too can create stories.

I read your reply to FloatingVoter.
    Nothing more than bigging yourself up. As I said i too can create stories.

It was in reply to asking me what I'd do. It was asked and I answered. I couldn't give a crap about bigging myself up...I was trying to state that just because you feel others are getting their take through ill gotten gain, doesn't mean you have to.

Oh you mean because I'm in a specialized area and that? That's not bigging myself up at all...I work in IT. That's very temporary and I got lucky is all. The work will be gone in the next 4 or 5 years. What I do is very insignificant for the world and everybody in it. I make no difference and hate what I do...any better?

It was in reply to asking me what I'd do. It was asked and I answered. I couldn't give a crap about bigging myself up...I was trying to state that just because you feel others are getting their take through ill gotten gain, doesn't mean you have to.

You remind me of a person I meet whilst in London in 2007. I too was working in a specialized area. I happened to save a few quid too...

oh wait. That didnt happen. I just pulled it out of my ass. sorry :pac:

You remind me of a person I meet whilst in London in 2007. I too was working in a specialized area. I happened to save a few quid too...

oh wait. That didnt happen. I just pulled it out of my ass. sorry :pac:

Sorry it didn't happen for you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 man on a BOAT

How long is too long to be on the dole, before it gets ridiculous?

• Advertisement

How long is too long to be on the dole, before it gets ridiculous?

probably 3 years, In my opinion. Not sure if it should just be cut off at that time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

3 years is grand for the sake of FAS courses and pretend rubbish. After that a swift move to disability allowance. The payments straight to bank a/c are a godsend. I'm illustrating childrens books, selling shells to tourists and technically living in Dublin.
    Well, some kids are collecting my mail there.
    I did a quick cameo as baby Chewbacca on Skellig Mike and the make-up was a ****ing drag. The speedboat sank and thank the man above I can swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

Ah here. I understand your annoyance at those who whinge about others not protesting, and there are sponges out there (far less than is believed though) but life of Reilly when you're a single parent on benefits and have three children?
    It isn't always a case that the father is just a sperm donor either. Could simply be an ended relationship.
    I don't know about the water charge either - we have been paying for water, even if it didn't have the label "water charge" on it.

No no, they're in a wholly committed relationship with the last 10 years. Which means he lives with his partner and their three children but his address is his mother's.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

Santa Claus works 1 day a year and gets no grief off anybody..

How about the dole gets people jobs?Maybe the dole could have a branch of people who take your CV off you and send it to places.You have to go to the interview of get your dole cut.
    It is very easy to feel down on the dole and get stuck in a hole.Confidence goes and the shame of people asking what you are working at and you feel ashamed you cant get a job.I think most have been there.Most teenagers worry about if there are any jobs out there after they do the leaving cert etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Santa Claus works 1 day a year and gets no grief off anybody..

No he doesn't.
    He spends 1 day a year delivering presents, but there are months spent planning the delivery logistics, fabricating the various presents in his workshop, Project Managing the elves, training the reindeer and checking if children have been naughty or nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭mcko

I am in two minds about social Welfare, it is there to look after those who can't help themselves and to keep you going between jobs ect.
    I have a problem with generations who never work and don't put anything back into the pot.
    On local radio yesterday in Cork a woman called saying between her home help job and her FIS she had just over 600 euro a week, that is good money but she had this chip on her shoulder about her entitlement. She had a kid with a medical card but complained it cost money to go to the hospital, parking and petrol.
    I don't know what the answer is should jobs be better paid or should we cut welfare, again should have a two tier system, don't pay in don't take out, I don't know.
    I feel sorry for people who always worked and now have no job but these people will get back to work as soon as they can,it is the under class of welfare we need to sort out.

Hope my post makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Don't forget that you don't need to put your hand into your pocket for anything; washing machines; cookers; beds; a bunker of coal.

We take care of people.

Someone can do the numbers but short and sweet, single mother (one kid) tipping away at 20 hours in local shop, between all benefits can clear c. €460 after rent is paid. She can get a €3k cheque to furnish the house. Medical care covered. Subsidised child care.

To replicate that, you'd need a
    c. €50k before tax job.

I speak from personal experience from communities I work in and families I've worked with.

I don't share the views of the op, I prefer to see people taken care of. To proceed, there does need to be better directed work activation initiatives, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

mcko wrote: »
    Hope my post makes sense.

Your post is actually one of the most sensible and measured posts in this whole thread.

I say that because my father in law was self-employed for 40 years until last year when his business went tits up. It was very frustrating for me personally because he was too proud to tell anyone he was in trouble, too ashamed to ask for help, and too principled to inquire about signing on the live register. This meant not only was money going out, but he had no money coming in.

I only found out about it months later when it came time for me to do his tax returns for the year. Since then, he signed on, got back on his feet, got his head together, got a loan from a friend to buy a new lorry, secured new contracts, and is back on the road driving and earning a living and contributing to society.

Contributing to society actually makes people feel good about themselves, because they are as much a part of that society as anyone else, and the vast, vast majority of people on the live register want to work, and want to contribute to society, and it sickens my balls when you have the tiny, tiny minority that don't want to contribute to society, getting the most attention, because they're diverting resources away from those that really need the help, and that's why I would never paint all people in need of assistance with the same brush.

Some people are just too proud to ask for help, because they are ashamed of the situation in which they find themselves, and when I see able bodied wasters boasting about how they're "playing the system" or some crap like that; as I said to a friend yesterday - I don't blame them, they're too short sighted to know any better. I blame the system that enables them to crow about their entitlements and their this, that and the other and how "working for a living is a mugs game" and all the rest of that crap.

The cycle of perpetual poverty, destitution and hopelessness will never end while the State continues to hand out peanut money to monkeys just to keep them quiet. They don't know any better, and they don't particularly care either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Czarcasm, that's insulting.

You have a core point, but the language is unsettling.

You are not observing a bunch of monkeys; reprobates; or test tube subjects from a distance. As much as your core point bears merit, it also bears merit that a serious attitude change is needed in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

myshirt wrote: »
    Czarcasm, that's insulting.

You have a core point, but the language is unsettling.

You are not observing a bunch of monkeys; reprobates; or test tube subjects from a distance. As much as your core point bears merit, it also bears merit that a serious attitude change is needed in Ireland.

I can understand your point, and I apologise unreservedly for having upset you, but if you can, put yourself in my position where I have to listen to this all day for the last 17 years or thereabouts when you try to help these people -

Had a nice long reply typed out but then decided after re reading that wall of over inflated bolloxollogy that you really aren't worth the ban, no more food for you ;)

And come back and tell me you wouldn't find it frustrating. Frustrating is putting it politely. When you see local politicians escorting people into the community welfare office instead of their local jobs centre, come back and tell me you don't find that frustrating.

The only saving grace in that situation is despite his best efforts to brown-nose, the prick still didn't get elected, because he neglected to factor in that despite also ferrying them to the election booths, he still couldn't make them vote.

Advertisement