Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

social media and on the dole?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Or he posted from the library where he may have been getting cv's printed out :D

He'd better be. And while he's at it he can stop wasting library funds posting crap on facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 akkakkman

Or he posted from the library where he may have been getting cv's printed out :D

Will he not get the cv's dirty while helping out at the animal shelter the next day?
    Maybe he'll post them in the morning, before going to collect the dole.
    Would he not collect the dole in town though ? I don't understand why collecting the dole is distinct from going into town...Maybe that's why he's busy, because (s)he is doing two things in the ONE DAY ! Maybe he lives in the countryside? Which might make sense if there is an animal shelter nearby....Who is this person?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Certainly reads that way.

Quite the leap in comparisons you're making there, equating people on social welfare with young unmarried mothers and their children who were forced into intolerable cruelty and ignored by society. The person that can afford an internet connection, let alone be posting nonsense on Facebook, is hardly that badly off.

Should they be ashamed that they have to claim social welfare payments?

No, but a bit of humility would be nice.

Who is to say he was posting from his own pc from home? Amazes me how swiftly the dole bashers group up and attack. Hope none of you or your family are ever unfortunate enough to end up unemployed because there will obviously be VERY little compassion shown.

akkakkman wrote: »
    Will he not get the cv's dirty while helping out at the animal shelter the next day?
    Maybe he'll post them in the morning, before going to collect the dole.
    Would he not collect the dole in town though ? I don't understand why collecting the dole is distinct from going into town...Maybe that's why he's busy, because (s)he is doing two things in the ONE DAY ! Maybe he lives in the countryside? Which might make sense if there is an animal shelter nearby....Who is this person?

Ask op it's his "acquaintance"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Went to Uni myself, but I'm dying to know what a 'collage' actually is.

Really? We used to make them in primary school

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Irishguy16 wrote: »
    I just logged into my Facebook account and noticed an acquaintance of mine put up a status saying "Busy day tomorrow, have to get my dole and then go into town". This status really annoyed me a lot. Does this person have no shame? Is he trying to glorify the fact that he gets free money? I have no time whatsoever for people who refuse to work when there are jobs out there. How is he not embarrassed about being on the dole and why is he letting his entire friend list know that he is lazy? If that was me I would be mortified.I'm not trying to start an argument because I know that not everyone on the dole is lazy and people do have the potential to get somewhere in life. I am temped to write him a status, but I know that I will lose the head completely and offend him

Why are you tempted? And whatever answer you give, a why to that as well... and so on until there are no why's left and everything converges into a dot

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

Irishguy16 wrote: »
    I just logged into my Facebook account and noticed an acquaintance of mine put up a status saying "Busy day tomorrow, have to get my dole and then go into town". This status really annoyed me a lot. Does this person have no shame? Is he trying to glorify the fact that he gets free money? I have no time whatsoever for people who refuse to work when there are jobs out there. How is he not embarrassed about being on the dole and why is he letting his entire friend list know that he is lazy? If that was me I would be mortified.

Why should someone feel shame or embarrassment about being on the dole? I've been on the dole before and know people who are on it now. It wasn't because we were lazy, it was due to economic factors outside our control. I didn't feel any shame or embarrassment about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I apologise for my previous post I was a bit of a tosser a minute ago :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Who is to say he was posting from his own pc from home?

Why would I care about where he was posting from? It's what he actually posted, plus the fact he had the time and the waste of resources to post it, that I would have an issue with.

Were I actually to give a single fcuk about this person, I wouldn't be long entertaining their muppetry and subsidising their sense of entitlement, not just financially, but also with my time.

Amazes me how swiftly the dole bashers group up and attack.

Never ceases to amaze me how swift people are to pass judgment upon someone whom they disagree with. I'm far from a basher of people claiming social welfare. Quite the opposite in fact, but what I have no time for is the minority of misguided wasters that perpetuate the social stigma and reflect badly on the majority of social welfare recipients who quietly go about their job seeking efforts while trying to maintain some shred of dignity.

Hope none of you or your family are ever unfortunate enough to end up unemployed because there will obviously be VERY little compassion shown.

Been there, done that, made a business out of selling the tee shirts. People generally have very little compassion for the minority of the most vocal wasters that contribute nothing to society, but expect society to continue to contribute to their lifestyle. That's really not how it works, and sometimes these people need to be reminded that society owes them nothing, and if they want something, they have to be willing to contribute to society first. Reminding them of that fact can indeed be quite a shock to their system, but sometimes you get the odd one that grows a pair and gets with the program.

Why would I care about where he was posting from? It's what he actually posted, plus the fact he had the time and the waste of resources to post it, that I would have an issue with.

Were I actually to give a single fcuk about this person, I wouldn't be long entertaining their muppetry and subsidising their sense of entitlement, not just financially, but also with my time.

Lol

what the **** is that supposed to mean? How dare this person have 30 seconds to.spare to post an update on his FB page rabble rabble rabble

Never ceases to amaze me how swift people are to pass judgment upon someone whom they disagree with. I'm far from a basher of people claiming social welfare. Quite the opposite in fact, but what I have no time for is the minority of misguided wasters that perpetuate the social stigma and reflect badly on the majority of social welfare recipients who quietly go about their job seeking efforts while trying to maintain some shred of dignity.

Been there, done that, made a business out of selling the tee shirts. People generally have very little compassion for the minority of the most vocal wasters that contribute nothing to society, but expect society to continue to contribute to their lifestyle. That's really not how it works, and sometimes these people need to be reminded that society owes them nothing, and if they want something, they have to be willing to contribute to society first. Reminding them of that fact can indeed be quite a shock to their system, but sometimes you get the odd one that grows a pair and gets with the program.

And you in your all knowing super powers can tell this about a person simply because they mention on FB that they have to go to the dole? Your talents (whatever they may be) are truly wasted on here, you should have your own tv show like that Derrin Brown lad :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

Collage is a technique of an art production, primarily used in the visual arts, where the artwork is made from an assemblage of different forms, thus creating a new whole.

Dafuq has that got to do with what was posted?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭The Rabbit

Thread is retarded.

So people who find themselves out of work should just keep quiet and never mention it?

How very dare they use social welfare for its intended purpose. The cheeky bastards!

Some of you people would want to find yourselves a hobby if this is all you have to be fretting about.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, god dam those libraries

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, god dam those libraries

Yup

The fact having internet access for job searching is vital these days seems to whoosh straight over some of the more militant posters heads.

Lol
    what the **** is that supposed to mean? How dare this person have 30 seconds to.spare to post an update on his FB page rabble rabble rabble

That's 30 seconds they could've spent on http://m.jobs.ie rabble rabble rabble.

And you in your all knowing super powers can tell this about a person simply because they mention on FB that they have to go to the dole? Your talents (whatever they may be) are truly wasted on here, you should have your own tv show like that Derrin Brown lad :rolleyes:

One doesn't need to be a mind reader when they can speak from experience, experience I use to help people who want to work, to find work. I'm very good at what I do, but I prefer people to take credit for their their own work in finding employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 akkakkman

Yup

The fact having internet access for job searching is vital these days seems to whoosh straight over some of the more militant posters heads.

Say for arguments sake, the person has no intention of getting a job. Is going to stay on the dole for as long as possible. Play 'the system' possibly putting more energy in to doing that than looking for a job. Every now and again they are going to update their facebook status with comments like the OP posted, or maybe make it even more obvious that their intention in life is to just take social welfare payouts and not really do a whole lot. Maybe drink it away etc....

Would that in any way irk any of you ? I think that's really what the OP was saying.

That's 30 seconds they could've spent on http://m.jobs.ie rabble rabble rabble.

One doesn't need to be a mind reader when they can speak from experience, experience I use to help people who want to work, to find work. I'm very good at what I do, but I prefer people to take credit for their their own work in finding employment.

And how are you so cock sure the person had not already been trawling job sites and uploading cv's and applying for jobs for 3 hours previous to making the post? How do you know the person didn't spend 5 minutes perusing FB before heading to the dole and then spending the day handing out cv's in town. Are you honestly implying that the hundreds of thousands who are unemployed should do nothing more than constantly search for work? How about sleep? Do you deny them a few hours rest in between job hunting? For someone who.has allegedly been in that position you sure choose jot to show the slightest bit of empathy :confused:

Say for arguments sake, the person has no intention of getting a job. Is going to stay on the dole for as long as possible. Play 'the system' possibly putting more energy in to doing that than looking for a job. Every now and again they are going to update their facebook status with comments like the OP posted, or maybe make it even more obvious that their intention in life is to just take social welfare payouts and not really do a whole lot. Maybe drink it away etc....

Would that in any way irk any of you ? I think that's really what the OP was saying.

If i ever come across anyone like that i will let you know how i feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

I miss FAS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭DLMA23

I've been in permanent employment for the last 25 years & I'm a lazy bastard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

DLMA23 wrote: »
    I've been in permanent employment for the last 25 years & I'm a lazy bastard

Not as lazy as people who haven't. They're the real scumbags. Don't be so hard on yourself.

And how are you so cock sure the person had not already been trawling job sites and uploading cv's and applying for jobs for 3 hours previous to making the post?

I don't care what they'd been doing previously to making that post. I don't care what they'd been doing after making that post. I'm only giving my opinion based on the fact that not only did they waste time making that post, but also their motivation in making that post is indicative of the fact that they wouldn't particularly care for my opinion of them. If they don't care, your defence of them is misguided, as I'm not talking about the vast majority of social welfare recipients who would rather be posting status' like "Does anyone have any ideas on how I can improve my CV to target local employers in the area?", and upload their CV to Facebook to get it out there.

How do I know he hasn't done this already? I don't, nor do I care enough to bother finding out.

How do you know the person didn't spend 5 minutes perusing FB before heading to the dole and then spending the day handing out cv's in town.

I don't know, and guess what?

That's right - I don't care.

(and you didn't need to be Derren Brown either!)

Are you honestly implying that the hundreds of thousands who are unemployed should do nothing more than constantly search for work?

Implying? No. Stating as fact? Yes.

What else would you suggest someone who wants to work, and doesn't want to be claiming social welfare should spend their time doing?

How about sleep? Do you deny them a few hours rest in between job hunting?

Everyone needs sleep to rest and recuperate. Of course I don't deny anyone sleep. A couple of hours rest between job hunting would be beneficial for both their mental and physical health. I'd love some sleep myself, having not slept properly in years due to chronic insomnia. I still make good use of my time though while I'm awake, so I can afford to post nonsense on social media. Someone who is unemployed and looking for work really can't.

For someone who.has allegedly been in that position you sure choose jot to show the slightest bit of empathy :confused:

I said I've been in a position where I was unemployed and looking for work. I've never been in a position where I could piss away my time on social media instead of making more productive use of every minute looking for work while I was unemployed.

My empathy is strictly limited to helping those who I see making an effort to help themselves. Announcing on social media that they're off to collect their social welfare payment and then off into town for the day, is not particularly indicative of someone trying to help themselves, or anyone else for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Page 8 of the most repetitive thread on the internet (you can get this topic in China too) and not one of you has an original thing to say. Its a mixture of cackling and bitching. Peering over the neighbours hedge to see who has the biggest turnip - sorry Facebook status. Or waving your big turnip in the neighbours window.
    For the love of monkeys, read a book, make love to a woman, kill your boss. Do something other than be old women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

Is the OP's acquaintance a dole sponging ne'er do well or the hardest working job hunter in Ireland. Will we ever know?
    I for one am anxiously awaiting updates on the mysterious "acquaintance".

Will the " religious " Czarcasm feel the full weight of defender of the underdog Timberrrrr?
    Edit - rr

I don't care what they'd been doing previously to making that post. I don't care what they'd been doing after making that post. I'm only giving my opinion based on the fact that not only did they waste time making that post, but also their motivation in making that post is indicative of the fact that they wouldn't particularly care for my opinion of them. If they don't care, your defence of them is misguided, as I'm not talking about the vast majority of social welfare recipients who would rather be posting status' like "Does anyone have any ideas on how I can improve my CV to target local employers in the area?", and upload their CV to Facebook to get it out there.

How do I know he hasn't done this already? I don't, nor do I care enough to bother finding out.

I don't know, and guess what?

That's right - I don't care.

(and you didn't need to be Derren Brown either!)

Implying? No. Stating as fact? Yes.

What else would you suggest someone who wants to work, and doesn't want to be claiming social welfare should spend their time doing?

Everyone needs sleep to rest and recuperate. Of course I don't deny anyone sleep. A couple of hours rest between job hunting would be beneficial for both their mental and physical health. I'd love some sleep myself, having not slept properly in years due to chronic insomnia. I still make good use of my time though while I'm awake, so I can afford to post nonsense on social media. Someone who is unemployed and looking for work really can't.

I said I've been in a position where I was unemployed and looking for work. I've never been in a position where I could piss away my time on social media instead of making more productive use of every minute looking for work while I was unemployed.

My empathy is strictly limited to helping those who I see making an effort to help themselves. Announcing on social media that they're off to collect their social welfare payment and then off into town for the day, is not particularly indicative of someone trying to help themselves, or anyone else for that matter.

Had a nice long reply typed out but then decided after re reading that wall of over inflated bolloxollogy that you really aren't worth the ban, no more food for you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Lesson learned op:
    Never start a thread in after hours that involves youself in any sort of way. You'll just get people winding you up, being a jerk etc.

So as soon as you typed "I know this guy..." then proceeded to form an opinion... forget about it. Sure you could have said he is a lovely man. Sun shines out of his ass. Only to get a big "ffs op, he is a dole merchant!!! cop on! he is whats wrong with Ireland"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

Lesson learned op:
    Never start a thread in after hours that involves youself in any sort of way. You'll just get people winding you up, being a jerk etc.

So as soon as you typed "I know this guy..." then proceeded to form an opinion... forget about it. Sure you could have said he is a lovely man. Sun shines out of his ass. Only to get a big "ffs op, he is a dole merchant!!! cop on! he is whats wrong with Ireland"

Arse

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Since it seems a lot of people have no issue with what this guy posted on facebook, I'm going to start posting every month 'Getting my massive payslip tomorrow!!' on Facebook. Sure that must be fine too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

I dunno... I wouldn't understand someone posting to Facebook that they're collecting their dole - weird thing to do, to say the least. But it's the "shame" thing I don't understand. Yeh we know actual spongers have no shame - goes without saying.
    It's as if the shame thing is being applied to deserving cases on the dole here though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Since it seems a lot of people have no issue with what this guy posted on facebook, I'm going to start posting every month 'Getting my massive payslip tomorrow!!' on Facebook. Sure that must be fine too

Yeah, it is fine, why wouldn't it be?

Advertisement