Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei b593s-22

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Always worked fine for me too in a router with a regular phone sim with all you can eat data . Apn 3ireland.ie and 3internet both work also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

Has anyone got the B593s set up with VOIP? I'll be ditching my landline now I've got this so was hoping for a solution for the home phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Haven't set up a voip service but here's the settings page if you want to check it out. Seems quite thorough for an LTE sim router

http://i.imgur.com/AACUYAi.png

I've the router plugged in 24/7 and connected constantly... It's pretty reliable I have to say

-=al=- wrote: »
    Haven't set up a voip service but here's the settings page if you want to check it out. Seems quite thorough for an LTE sim router

http://i.imgur.com/AACUYAi.png

I've the router plugged in 24/7 and connected constantly... It's pretty reliable I have to say
    The VOIP tab is missing from my firmware, must have been removed by three. Could you tell me what firmware version you have and does it provide a download link?

Hardware version: Ver.B
    Firmware version: V200R001B180D20SP00C00
    Firmware build time: Jun 3 2013 / 13:54:38

There is no updates for the router when I check and I never updated it since I got it last October or so

As far as I know there is no firmware updates for it and was told (and searched a lot) it's tricky to unlock :\

• Advertisement

I've already unlocked, first day I got it :) I also think I've found a universal frimware, I'll update when I've done some tinkering and fettling ;)

How did you manage to unlock it? I checked and searched as much as I could and nada!

That's good you got it, I hope the firmware works

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Has anyone got one of these for Three? Can you confirm if the DDNS and LTE only option is available.

Has anyone got one of these for Three? Can you confirm if the DDNS and LTE only option is available.

Yes, it supports ddns and you can choose between 3g, 4g or auto modes for connecting. The only thing that it doesn't support is custom DNS servers, it's locked to the carriers DNS, BUT you can get round that by only using the B593s as the modem and an additional router with more access. I'm using a Linksys E3000 router with DD-WRT firmware.

How did you manage to unlock it? I checked and searched as much as I could and nada!

That's good you got it, I hope the firmware works

Well that was a PITA, but I've managed to SIM unlock and fully debrand. I now have stock Huawei firmware version V200R001B236D30SP00C00. Before anyone asks, I'm not giving the info here about how it's done, simply because it was trial and error. I wouldn't want anyone bricking their router because they followed my advice.

• Advertisement

WillyFXP wrote: »
    Yes, it supports ddns and you can choose between 3g, 4g or auto modes for connecting. The only thing that it doesn't support is custom DNS servers, it's locked to the carriers DNS, BUT you can get round that by only using the B593s as the modem and an additional router with more access. I'm using a Linksys E3000 router with DD-WRT firmware.

Great thanks mate does it have bridge mode?

Great thanks mate does it have bridge mode?

No unfortunately, BUT, it does have a DMZ, so I set the DMZ on the B593s to my Linksys and it worked like a charm, open NAT! The only other issue you may have is it doesn't have loopback, which isn't a problem for me cause i dont need any external services. May be an issue if you host any external services and need local access.

No unfortunately, BUT, it does have a DMZ, so I set the DMZ on the B593s to my Linksys and it worked like a charm, open NAT!

Sounds good that will do

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭limpdd

Does anyone know if this router play nicely with an Xbox?
    My current mobile broadband dongle does not, I have to bridge it with my laptop.

limpdd wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this router play nicely with an Xbox?
    My current mobile broadband dongle does not, I have to bridge it with my laptop.

It has a DMZ, so, in theory if the Xbox IP is set to the DMZ you should have an open NAT. I have an open NAT for PC gaming with the DMZ set to my additional router.

Well that was a PITA, but I've managed to SIM unlock and fully debrand. I now have stock Huawei firmware version V200R001B236D30SP00C00. Before anyone asks, I'm not giving the info here about how it's done, simply because it was trial and error. I wouldn't want anyone bricking their router because they followed my advice.

I have no idea what that means so I shall leave you to it!

As for the Xbox, it works fine... Open te Xbox ports or give it a static ip and put it in the dmz

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caspero

BeerWolf wrote: »
    I'm on THREE's "All you can eat" data allowance for my mobile phone [1 month contract, €20]. The SIM for it works perfectly fine in the router.

BeerWolf any chance you could check some settings when you are connected to 4G on three? I'm able to connect on 3g but not 4g, wondering if it's a router config issue.

Under Internet/Network connection/PDP type, do you have IPv4 or IPv4v6 selected?

Under Internet/APN management, is the profile name auto and APN nbs.ie?

Under Internet/Internet MTU, do you have it set at 1500?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

It'd be in the profile settings tab, Connection Type: [4G / 3G / Auto].

Something like that anyways, ain't at home to check right now.

Yes when I put that setting to '4G' I get no connection. I was wondering if there were other settings I had to change in addition to this one.

If not it could just be due to low 4G signal - I only have 2-3 bars on 4G and can barely pick it up on my phone but have 5 bars on 3G.

Hmm - I definitely have a setting somewhere or something else. I tried both a Meteor and Three SIM in the router. On Meteor I get 4 bars on the front of the router when connected to the dipolo antenna that Al linked to. On Three I get 2-3 bars. However on both networks, when I'm on 4G, the router status says 'connecting' when I first select it and then goes blank. On the router homepage it says 'Disconnected'. I can't access the internet on connected devices. 3G works fine on both networks however.

So for people who got this going on 4G, what settings did you change from the router defaults? I bought mine from Amazon too.

I'd post an image but boards says I'm a new user (really I'm just an infrequent poster) so I can't.

• Advertisement

Hmm - I definitely have a setting somewhere or something else wrong. I tried both a Meteor and Three SIM in the router. On Meteor I get 4 bars on the front of the router when connected to the dipolo antenna that Al linked to. On Three I get 2-3 bars. However on both networks, when I'm on 4G, the router status says 'connecting' when I first select it and then goes blank. On the router homepage it says 'Disconnected'. I can't access the internet on connected devices. 3G works fine on both networks however.

So for people who got this going on 4G, what settings did you change from the router defaults?

I'd post a link to an image but boards says I'm a new user (really I'm just an infrequent poster) so I can't.

The three branded B593s will work on 4G with both Three APN's which are: 3ireland and 3internet. Unlocked routers with generic firmware will only connect to Three 4G with the 3ireland APN. So make sure your APN is 3ireland, NOT 3internet or nbs.ie.

Thanks WillyFXP. I have the unlocked version with generic firmware. Have you managed to change the APN on this type of router? When I try, I don't see a way to force use of 3ireland.ie. The default profile name 'auto' defaults to nbs.ie and the option to delete it is greyed out. I'm wondering if I can't connect because the router is using this one instead of the new 3ireland APN that I've entered.

I can't post a link because of the boards 50 post rule, but if you go to imgur and tack this on to the end of the URL, I've uploaded a screendump there: /Z8N7AX8.png

Caspero wrote: »
    Thanks WillyFXP. I have the unlocked version with generic firmware. Have you managed to change the APN on this type of router? When I try, I don't see a way to force use of 3ireland.ie. The default profile name 'auto' defaults to nbs.ie and the option to delete it is greyed out. I'm wondering if I can't connect because the router is using this one instead of the new 3ireland APN that I've entered.

I can't post a link because of the boards 50 post rule, but if you go to imgur and tack this on to the end of the URL, I've uploaded a screendump there: /Z8N7AX8.png

Ah - I figured it out. The reason I couldn't delete the default APN profile was that it was in use. To use a new APN, you have to:

1/ Go to Internet/APN management and enter the APN details there to create a new APN profile (this part I had done).
    2/ (This is the part I hadn't prior to my previous message) Go to Internet/Network connection and in the drop-down field next to 'Profile', select the name of the new APN you just set up.

It's working now - this message is coming to you via my 4G connection :)

Now to figure out the best direction to point this dipolo antenna....

This is weird - when I'm connected on 4G to the 3ireland APN with the built-in antenna I'm getting 9.8mbps download but only 0.25mbps upload. Anyone know if there's a configuration option I have to set to fix the slow upload speed?

I haven't been able to get better speeds with the external antenna so far but am still experimenting with it.

Okay I think the poor upload on three was just due to poor signal quality in my area. I've been able to get better upload speeds on Meteor and Vodafone.

If anyone else is configuring the 4G APNs, the settings I've gotten working are as follows. Username and password blank, Authentication none, APN:

Three: 3ireland.ie
    Meteor: data.mymeteor.ie
    Vodafone: live.vodafone.com

Vodafone's speeds were vastly superior in my area, with Meteor second and Three a distant third, which is broadly in line with what the respective networks' 4G coverage maps say for where I live.

Some truth behind the maps, who knew! How is that external antenna? It has more gain than the one I have so curious to see how it performs.

I dont mind that it's not too much more bars of signal... it's gone from 1 or 2 bars without the external antenna to a solid 3 bars these days. It's the consistsncy I'm after really

How is that external antenna? It has more gain than the one I have so curious to see how it performs.

I dont mind that it's not too much more bars of signal... it's gone from 1 or 2 bars without the external antenna to a solid 3 bars these days. It's the consistsncy I'm after really

I have to do a bit of research on how to install antennas because I didn't get any improvement with it on Vodafone and actually experienced disimprovement on the other networks. I'm thinking maybe I need a repeater or something, or maybe I'm pointing it in the wrong direction. I'll let you know after I've figured it out.

With the built-in antenna, I did get a big 4G speed improvement on both Three and Meteor from putting the router in my attic though (so no concrete walls to block the signal).

My 4G speeds on Meteor jumped from 7.9 down/0.3 up in the house to 10.6 down 8.2 up (yep a 27x upload improvement) by putting the router in the attic.

On Three's 4G I couldn't get any signal at all in the house and got 9.8down, 0.25 up in the attic. As an aside, on my Galaxy S5 on Three I can't pick up 4G at all even in the attic where the router picks up signal.

In contrast Vodafone's 4G was a bit worse in the attic. Maybe the better relative performance in the house something to do with which frequency their 4G is on (i.e. signal passes through walls) or where the nearest mast is. 48.7mbps down, 16.4 up in the house, 34.7 down, 16.3 up in the attic.

Caspero wrote: »
    I have to do a bit of research on how to install antennas because I didn't get any improvement with it on Vodafone and actually experienced disimprovement on the other networks. I'm thinking maybe I need a repeater or something, or maybe I'm pointing it in the wrong direction. I'll let you know after I've figured it out.

With the built-in antenna, I did get a big 4G speed improvement on both Three and Meteor from putting the router in my attic though (so no concrete walls to block the signal).

My 4G speeds on Meteor jumped from 7.9 down/0.3 up in the house to 10.6 down 8.2 up (yep a 27x upload improvement) by putting the router in the attic.

On Three's 4G I couldn't get any signal at all in the house and got 9.8down, 0.25 up in the attic. As an aside, on my Galaxy S5 on Three I can't pick up 4G at all even in the attic where the router picks up signal.

In contrast Vodafone's 4G was a bit worse in the attic. Maybe the better relative performance in the house something to do with which frequency their 4G is on (i.e. signal passes through walls) or where the nearest mast is. 48.7mbps down, 16.4 up in the house, 34.7 down, 16.3 up in the attic.
    Get open signal or network signal pro for your phone, it will give you direction, signal strength and mast location.

• Advertisement

How is that external antenna? It has more gain than the one I have so curious to see how it performs.

I've had a chance to test it properly now and I'm very happy with it. The antenna I got is the one you linked to in post #21, the LTE MIMO Antenna: ATK-LOG LTE (800-2170MHz, 5m cable, SMA plug) on dipol's website.

It solved my download problems on Three and gave significantly faster upload speeds.

I tested 2 ways - holding the antenna on a pole sticking out the skylight window of my attic and just in the attic.

I tried the Open Signal app and I think that would be great for omnidirectional antennae because it tells you where signal is strongest pretty accurately. However for a directional antenna, while it does try to tell you the direction of the mast you are connected to, I found the app to be unreliable for that. I just resorted to connecting the antenna to the router and pointing it in different directions until I got the most blue bars on the router, and then running an internet speed test.

Also I think the reason this antenna wasn't working for me before is that the cables weren't screwed in tight enough.

Anyway today on Three whose signal is weak at my house I saw improvement in my upload speeds from
    0.73mbps with the built-in antenna in the attic to
    18.26mbps with the external antenna sticking out my attic skylight or
    2.3mbps with the external antenna inside the attic.

On Vodafone I'm still getting better download speeds without the antenna and the upload speeds are the same with or without it. I suspect the limitation is not signal strength on Vodafone as signal is quite good at my house with them.

Haven't tested Meteor with the antenna.

Advertisement