Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei b593s-22

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caspero

Up/download speed should be fine for gaming (see the comments re speed tests earlier, or just run a test on your phone for a rough albeit slower approximation of what you'll get with a router). As for ping, if your signal is okay your ping on internet speed tests will probably be around 30ms to 50ms if you use a 4g router based on the tests I ran in an area with good Vodafone signal. Maybe ask what pings people are getting on the gaming forums for whatever game you're interested in and you'll be able to determine if that's okay (my guess it that it will be fine for day to day gaming and would only be an issue if you're trying to be a top-ranked player or something).

You probably know this but connect to the router by Ethernet from your device rather than wifi for slightly lower ping and faster internet speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

Caspero wrote: »
    Up/download speed should be fine for gaming (see the comments re speed tests earlier, or just run a test on your phone for a rough albeit slower approximation of what you'll get with a router). As for ping, if your signal is okay your ping on internet speed tests will probably be around 30ms to 50ms if you use a 4g router based on the tests I ran in an area with good Vodafone signal. Maybe ask what pings people are getting on the gaming forums for whatever game you're interested in and you'll be able to determine if that's okay (my guess it that it will be fine for day to day gaming and would only be an issue if you're trying to be a top-ranked player or something).

You probably know this but connect to the router by Ethernet from your device rather than wifi for slightly lower ping and faster internet speeds.

mine is on Three 4G PAYG and is quite good but the Wifi on this unit is poor for range/quality, using Ethernet and those extenders that use the house wiring does greatly improve speeds. Just make sure they are not plugged into adapters or extension leads!!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caspero

Someone asked me to get a b593s-22 for them after I told them how happy I was with mine. Is this model still the best option for is there a newer model or competing product out there that for example fixes the slow wifi speeds of this model or has 1gb ethernet instead of the 10/100 in the b593-22?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

Someone asked me to get a b593s-22 for them after I told them how happy I was with mine. Is this model still the best option for is there a newer model or competing product out there that for example fixes the slow wifi speeds of this model or has 1gb ethernet instead of the 10/100 in the b593-22?

Has this been answered?

Where do you buy these routers from? Do you buy the unlocked ones on Amazon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Haven't looked into it but it's still the best option that I can think of.

http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/home-solutions/connect/broadband-modems-and-routers/dwr-921-4g-lte-router

That's an alternative I know of but I'm pretty happy with the Huawei. It does a grand job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Shane732 wrote: »
    Where do you buy these routers from? Do you buy the unlocked ones on Amazon?

I bought one yesterday from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-B593s-22-Unlocked-Wireless-Router/dp/B009QW3ZG4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1451321096&sr=1-1&keywords=4g+router

I believe that there is a newer model but it doesnt have voip.

My experience with the B593s-22 was that it doubled the speeds that i had been getting from a dongle (from 2 to 5 to 8 to 12), and thats 3G without connecting an aerial.

I noticed huge differences between suppliers and also depending on the location of the modem. Be prepared to experiment with these.

The speed of my internet trippled when the antenna was moved about 4 inches to the right in a certain way! 4g is such a temperamental thing but 3g > 4g connection is a halluva lot better

• Advertisement

-=al=- wrote: »
    The speed of my internet trippled when the antenna was moved about 4 inches to the right in a certain way! 4g is such a temperamental thing but 3g > 4g connection is a halluva lot better

I'm running regular speed tests here on my existing modem while I'm waiting for delivery of the Huawei b593s-22 so I can compare difference.

I have just got eFibre so am going to sell mine (unlocked) with this http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00UBCCQOA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00. Have been using Three 4G PAYG at €20/month (no issue with 40Gb usage per month)

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭darth_maul

What's the advantage of this over the much cheaper Huawei b315 which is €129 on Three.

darth_maul wrote: »
    What's the advantage of this over the much cheaper Huawei b315 which is €129 on Three.

about 25€ a month and no calls!!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭AHireland2k11

what apn should one use with this unit if they are using three PAYG 20 a month

from what I understand it reads it from the sim card or auto-sources it when configuring. They take the larger format of the 3 sim cards by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭darth_maul

pedronomix wrote: »
    about 25€ a month and no calls!!

Can you expand on this,
    The B315 is available with no contract from three for 139.

Can you expand on this,
    The B315 is available with no contract from three for 139.

it is locked to three
    no voice calls
    €20 top up only gets you 20GB/month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

Wouldn't it just be all you can eat for 20 a month if you just popped a three pay as you go sim card in it though? My huawei modem was bought from them and is locked to three but I just put a pay as you go sim in it as opposed to a mobile broadband sim and it works perfectly.

• Advertisement

kevovek wrote: »
    Wouldn't it just be all you can eat for 20 a month if you just popped a three pay as you go sim card in it though? My huawei modem was bought from them and is locked to three but I just put a pay as you go sim in it as opposed to a mobile broadband sim and it works perfectly.

TBH if thats what you do and it works, you are clearly right! However it remains locked to Three and there is only six months left on their 4G all you can eat offer, Mine is provisionally sold, so I have no axe to grind here!

Doesn't the "All you can eat" data have a fair usage of 15GB?

Three extended their 4g for free offer the last time so they may do it again!

I was getting 40Gb+ per month with no issues or extra payment

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Will this work on the Vodafone network?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

pedronomix wrote: »

I am interested in this but see you have withdrawn it on Adverts.ie......is it sold mate? I have made an offer on another one of you adverts so I can PM you there if you accept.

Thanks,
    M

padraig.od wrote: »
    Will this work on the Vodafone network?

It will surely. I just collected mine from parcel motel this evening. Put in my vodafone 3G sim and just took a minute to connect. Will be running some speed tests to compare (hopefully) improved speeds!

mayo.mick wrote: »
    It will surely. I just collected mine from parcel motel this evening. Put in my vodafone 3G sim and just took a minute to connect. Will be running some speed tests to compare (hopefully) improved speeds!

I'll be using mine with a Vodafone 4G SIM in/around the Red Cow Roundabout area. Fingers crossed I can get a good download rate!

Cheers,
    M

Does anyone know if the one Meteor sell is locked to their network?

Thanks

According to their sales staff 2 years ago, yes, they are locked!

I know they can be unlocked but not sure of the process, so I'm not too sure. Maybe they've sorted an easy way to unlock since?

Amazon or Adverts are probably the best bet for an unlocked one!

• Advertisement

-=al=- wrote: »
    According to their sales staff 2 years ago, yes, they are locked!

I know they can be unlocked but not sure of the process, so I'm not too sure. Maybe they've sorted an easy way to unlock since?

Amazon or Adverts are probably the best bet for an unlocked one!

Thanks mate.

Advertisement