Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei b593s-22

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Just tried out the router again and it works great. Something as simple as putting in the SIM card before turning it on as suggested! Thanks all!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,825 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I am selling a b593s-22 if someone needs one. Working perfectly with AYCE with Three.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Does anyone use the b593s for VoIP? I'm on meteor bill pay mobile broadband and curious if any type of service would work

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭iguot

Where do you guys buy? Amazon/Ebay are expensive or are they as good as it'll get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Discodog wrote: »
    I am selling a b593s-22 if someone needs one. Working perfectly with AYCE with Three.

Many thanks to Discodog for selling this and posting it out so quickly.

The hunt for the 4G signal begins......

Edit> Checked this out this morning and as expected nothing at home but will put some scaffolding up later to see if mounting on a pole would help. I did get 4G over where my 3G install is set up 250m away in a neighbors garden, only 2 bars but 14Mbs down and 5Mbps up so worth the effort of making up a new install (3G is about 1Mbs). The problem being the b593s is too big for my 3G installs waterproof enclosure plus I can't plug my WiFi antenna into it to get the signal back up to the house.

Current plan is to get a suitable waterproof enclosure and another router type WiFi device set up as a WiFi access point so I can send the signal through the big external directional WiFi antenna I have back to the house. Neighbor is happy to allow me to use power from a waterproof outside socket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭icylava

I am a happy customer of Huawei B593s-22. I bought it from China directly at a more reasonable price and it has been working without any issues for almost 2 years.

my3cents wrote: »

...Checked this out this morning and as expected nothing at home but will put some scaffolding up later to see if mounting on a pole would help. ....

Went up 16 ft in a couple of places I could realistically mount a pole and even with the device held up above my head so over 22ft above ground level no signal anywhere near the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭icylava

Went up 16 ft in a couple of places I could realistically mount a pole and even with the device held up above my head so over 22ft above ground level no signal anywhere near the house.

Is your house in the countryside? 4G signal is pretty decent in major cities and you should be able to use this router anywhere in the house if you are in the city.

Has anyone tried this device with a different power supply?

The supplied PSU is 12V 2AMP. I've tested it for sort periods with a 12V 1AMP PSU and it seems OK but interested because I want to run the b593 with Power over Ethernet and realistically the best I can get PoE is 12V 1AMP.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

I tried some quick tests over Wi-Fi with an ammeter wired in series with my own router, all in 3G mode with Meteor:
    • Highest reading during boot: 0.31A
    • No upload/download activity: 0.23A typical
    • Ookla Speed test - Download: 0.28A peak (TestMy peaked the same)
    • TestMy Speed test - Upload: 0.32A peak (Ookla peaked at 0.29A)

It was pointless testing Three's 4G network as I often get less than 1Mbps in the evening compared to 12Mbps on Meteor's 3G network. So the electric current readings would be meaningless with very little 4G data transfer during the speed tests.

Based on the above measurements, I doubt the router will come close to drawing 1 amp even with 4G. The router also runs a lot cooler than my DSL's Fritz Box despite also using a 2A PSU.

It is quite possible that if all the ports were in use (4xLAN, 2xRJ11 phone), multiple Wi-Fi devices exchanging files, etc. then it could reach an amp. In my above testing, my phone was the only Wi-Fi connected device and there's one network lead attached for my desktop PC.

Until I did these measurements, I didn't realise just how little power the Huawei B593s-22 consumes. I haven't checked the Fritz Box, but I do remember my previous Vodafone DSL router consumed about 1.5A continuously. I used to connect it to an SLA battery during power cuts, so I could use my laptop, tablet, etc. until the power restored. I don't think we had any significant power cut in over a year (other than the odd RCd trip) as I don't recall ever running the Fritz Box on battery power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

PSU rating 12V 2Amp - this much power adapter tested/capable to provide, router might require less, particulary if no USB attached.
    Still would stay with original or matching adapter.

I dont thik B593 support PoE.............
    https://pricespy.ie/product.php?e=1295977
    ..........unless you have some specific :D:D setup.??? Let us know.

I never thought of the USB port, so it likely keeps plenty of reserve for that port.

PoE can also be done passively with a PoE Injector and Splitter pair, such as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

editorsean wrote: »
    I never thought of the USB port, so it likely keeps plenty of reserve for that port.

PoE can also be done passively with a PoE Injector and Splitter pair, such as this.

Have seen does, but never got chance to use. Are they trustworthy?
    Might actually buy one of them for crack.

For low powered devices (under 1A), they should work fine, but I reckon the maximum cable length would be about 25 metres compared to 100 metres for a 48v PoE. For high powered 12v devices, the maximum cable length would be a lot less due to a greater voltage drop over the thin wires.

As for trustworthiness, I would suggest testing it with an old router first just to make sure it's wired up properly, i.e. doesn't intermittently drop power when wiggling the connections.

With a proper 48v PoE, it takes only 1/4 the current to deliver the same power as 12v. For example to deliver 24 watts, it requires 2A at 12v, but only 0.5A at 48v. A lower current also means less voltage drop across the network cable. The PoE enabled device will have an internal DC-DC converter to step down the 48v to required rail voltages for its circuitry.

Another passive PoE workaround for longer cable runs would be to get a 48v PoE injector and a 12V converter (such as this) for the remote end to power the router. These cost more as they have a DC-DC buck converter to step down the voltage.

I'm using a 48V PoE base unit with a head unit that takes the 48V back down to 12V. I start with 48V at 0.5Amp so with conversion and cable losses I wouldn't expect to have more than 1Amp at the actual device.

I've just set up a neighbor with house and office wide WiFi using PoE to TPlink E220 AP's been up a month now and 100% reliable. Power is coming from a 16 port PoE Switch which has 8 PoE ports.

Anybody try Aliexpress for Huawei routers? Are they legit on there? Or can anyone link to one on a site over there, they're very expensive here.

Any ever had problems connecting to the b593s home page?

If I connect directly through WiFi it works, but if I plug it into a wireless AP and go to the IP address (I've changed it from its default) when connected to the AP the browser the URL changes to http://homerouter.cpe/ then nothing? Internet however works OK(ish). Speeds are slow but need to so some more testing.

There is nothing set up to stop me connecting to an internal address in the wireless AP.

I need the wireless AP as its part of a wireless link.

Edit> Scrub that, I can access the router from another PC on my network but for some reason I have two devices, mobile phone and netbook that won't allow me to connect - strange but something I've had before with other devices and never got to the bottom of it.

So now all installed and working, speeds are nothing special 3Mbs seems about the average with built in antennas and two bars signal straight. I'll let it settle in and see how it goes. The device is currently mounted in a waterproof enclosure on a telegraph pole and if I get the ladders out I can move it higher and even try it on different faces of the pole before I resort to additional antennas.

Do you have a custom DNS set up on the phone or netbook for that wireless access point?

If it's configured to a specific DNS service such as OpenDNS, then it will not be able to resolve 'homerouter.cpe' to the router's IP address.

On your netbook, you can add a line like '192.168.1.1 homerouter.cpe' to its hosts file, replacing 192.168.1.1 with your router IP, if different.

editorsean wrote: »
    Do you have a custom DNS set up on the phone or netbook for that wireless access point?

If it's configured to a specific DNS service such as OpenDNS, then it will not be able to resolve 'homerouter.cpe' to the router's IP address.

On your netbook, you can add a line like '192.168.1.1 homerouter.cpe' to its hosts file, replacing 192.168.1.1 with your router IP, if different.

Tried that, didn't want to complicate my original post with too much information.

Just one of those things, it didn't even work when I had it all on the bench connected with a different wireless access point.

The strange bit was with or without a hosts file entry it resolved the IP address to the URL before it gave up the ghost?

I tried a similar set up here, but without any luck replicating the issue with my router.

I got an old Edimax 802.11b/g AP, did a factory reset, plugged it into the B593s and connected my phone to it (first image). I then tried logging into the router by entering 'http://homerouter.cpe/' (second image), logged out and logged back in with its IP address (third image):

5Nkyofe.pngB0BHEus.pngo4CVldR.png

My router doesn't redirect in either direction, e.g. if I log in by IP, the IP address remains in the URL regardless of the page I go to. Similarly, if I log in via 'homerouter.cpe', this remains in the URL bar. I'm not sure what may be different with your set up that causes the affected devices to both redirect and fail with the AP.

In case the firmware is different, the following is the firmware details copied from my router:
    • Firmware version: V200R001B236D30SP00C00
    • Firmware build time: Sep 30 2013 / 10:29:34

• Advertisement

Mine (ex Discodog) is branded Viva

Hardware version: Ver.B

Firmware version: V200R001B180D20SP06C397

Firmware build time: Jun 25 2015 / 15:24:47

Always does the redirect which I guess is part of the devices DNS set up. If I change the IP address of the device it keeps track of it and still redirects to the URL.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

Telecom Speedport LTE II 2, 4G ROUTER Wireless Huawei B593-S12, , i have tried it in a few different positions, all with the same result, weak signal, over the weekend i was unable to watch tv without terrible lagging, i was trying to watch at the races on sunday and monday no luck, last night was the worst, it could not run my android tv box, it has the same download speed as my fone 1mps down, is there a reasonable priced ariel under €40 delievered which i could use to get say 5mps down, i can see the mast from my front door, it is about 4-5 miles as the crow flies, on a small mountain, thanks in advance for your help, btw i have configured it as best i could

This one is about as cheap as it gets for an outdoor 4G antenna, priced about 42 Euro inc. delivery from Germany. This antenna is directional and comes with two 5 metre leads with SMA connections to fit your router.

Before ordering an antenna, I suggest trying the router outside first. Even at 5 miles, you should get a strong signal (i.e. all bars lit) with a clear line of sight of the cell tower. If the signal is still weak outside, then you are likely getting the 4G service from another mast.

Edit: Seems like Boards.ie has a character set conversion issue as the Euro symbol gets gobbled up.

iguot wrote: »
    Anybody try Aliexpress for Huawei routers? Are they legit on there? Or can anyone link to one on a site over there, they're very expensive here.

To answer myself, the version we need is pretty much the same price, cheaper ones don't support bands we use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Hi there - Thanks to all who have contributed on this thread - great to hear practical advice and real world testimonials re performance etc.

Could I please ask.... I need a broadband solution to service my small business until Eir FTTH is available to us in about the next 12 months or so.

Is this Huawei unit the best chance I have of success still?

I'm hoping to mount an external antenna on the roof and plug it into a switch to service our LAN (20 Office users)

Am I on track would you think?

All advice and suggestion appreciated.

Thanks.

3G/4G for 20 office uses ROTFL! And relying on Eir FTTH arriving in the next 12 months kept me down there a bit longer.

If you have a some form of control on your users so they can for example only get email and surf to specific work related sites or have can have bandwidth restrictions then you might get it to work.

But to answer your questions, I'd be looking at some form of firewall first that had the controls you need for 20 users while testing a Huawei b593s-22 to see what speeds you can get form the various providers available in your area.

I use the Huawei b593s-22 with 3 and 4G and the service is barely workable for 1 most of the time but there are 3 people using it which really means its only feasible one at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

I would have thought at this stage the B593s-22 would have been superseded by a newer model from Huawei??

madmoe wrote: »
    I would have thought at this stage the B593s-22 would have been superseded by a newer model from Huawei??

Newer doesn't mean better. I believe that the Huawei b593s-22 has the best internal antenna which are better than the antenna in what may have replaced it the B315?

Newer doesn't mean better. I believe that the Huawei b593s-22 has the best internal antenna which are better than the antenna in what may have replaced it the B315?

Ah cool! Good to know that mate!

• Advertisement

Hi all,
    Is anyone using this specific router with the Nintendo Switch? If so how are you finding it for online play? I am not having much luck with regular disconnections mid game and sometimes it won't connect at all :-( Can anybody recommend any general settings I should look at on this router to try and improve things?

Thanks,
    Mark

Advertisement