Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TUF 20 - Pettis, Melendez, Aisling Daly **SPOILERS** **See Mod Note OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

adamski8 wrote: »
    Your right. Ok so half of them didn't get picked ;)

Half didn't though, they picked the top 4 they wanted and the other 8 were assigned, yes in another series ais would of been picked but this series she was last and not picked

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

You know its going to be a good season on TUF when you care enough about it that you are freeze-framing the previews for clues about what might be happening in the coming episodes.

Haven't had one of those for a while! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Really enjoyed the first episode The show overall I'd taken a few seasons hiatus due to it wearing me thin; I returned viewing it for TUF18 and had the same effect yet still stupidly returned for TUF19 due to the Irish involvement and it was worse!!

They've hooked me back in but this time it seems might actually be worth my while.

Like the idea that instead of talent searching the talent is already there; these competitors are the division and should be guaranteed a few fights at least within the UFC.

Being the Invicta champ Carla I suppose is the obvious favorite for the show, would like to see Ash and Jojo do well obviously.

I thought Torres would go far as I'd seen her fighting before, unbeaten and had wins over 2 of the other contestants, although I knew nothing about the Randa girl so with that it will be interesting to see Justine Kish don't know anything about her either yet she's had over 25 fights although just 4 in MMA but one of those was a win over Randa.

Also on a different note found it odd to come see this after all the guff Ben Askren was spouting about the UFC recently he'd been helping fighters for their TV show :eek::eek:

ben-askren-tuf-20-set.jpg

I was watching the UFC show on BT Sports this morning (recorded last night) and they had Aisling Daly and Joanne Calderwood on. At the close of the segment they were asked to tell their highlight in the house. Calderwood gave some blether about how proud she was to be part of the whole experience but Aisling Daly revealed that about halfway through the season she gets a very special visitor. Has to be Conor McG surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

Yeah I think he mentioned it in that Setanta interview last week.

• Advertisement

xtal191 wrote: »
    Yeah I think he mentioned it in that Setanta interview last week.

Cool thanks. I watched that last Wednesday night but must have missed that bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

That one Felice is doing my bloody head in. "Let's put our panties up beside the Pettis picture"... What the hell? Cringey as fúck but UFC probably loving it with people watching it to hopefully watch her lose eventually.

Not a bad fight this week. Not as good as last week but still better than pretty much anything from TUF 19.

Thought Calderwood would have been far more dominant on the feet but she won it in the close quarter exchanges and on the ground. You can tell she has power in those hands though.

Anyone else think it should have went to a 3rd round? I scored it 19-19 after 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

She's a pain in the hole. Thinks she's hot stuff too, always posing and dressing as skimpy as possible. The whole knickers on the wall thing was just an excuse for her to drop her nags in the middle of the dressing room so they had to blur out below the waist. Stood there holding them down to make sure everyone got a good look! Hope this isn't breaking the rules on being tactful?

Her and Heather are thoroughly unlikeable.

Interesting how badly the whole team are taking to the Team Pettis training methods. Pettis risked the wrath of the female viewership when he suggested that with an all female team, "emotions" might play a part in things, lol.

A bit disappointed with the fight, expected better from Jo but glad she got the win. Good to see her and Ais do well. Speaking of Ais I don't think I saw her at all throughout the episode. Not a bad thing, letting her fighting do the talking rather than being an attention whore like Herrig.

On a side note, anyone know why they aren't showing the weigh ins this season? 2 fights in and we haven't seen any weigh ins or mention of weight cutting which is surprising given that it's going to be the lightest weight class in the UFC.

I'm assuming that the Ais Daly fainting episode is weight cut related but just not sure why we haven't seen anything.

And finally, gotta love Rose Namajunas. Pat is a lucky man

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

John_D80 wrote: »
    Anyone else think it should have went to a 3rd round? I scored it 19-19 after 2.

Yep. I think it was Tony Weeks who scored it 19-19. I don't see how the other two saw it as 20-18. Didn't think either round were that obvious myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Mr.Pinchy

That_Guy wrote: »
    That one Felice is doing my bloody head in. "Let's put our panties up beside the Pettis picture"... What the hell? Cringey as fúck but UFC probably loving it with people watching it to hopefully watch her lose eventually.

Yea that was cringe worthy alright, although to be fair to her she mentioned at the start thats how she makes a living, (off her internet followers ). I have no idea how that works though.

Defo thought that should have went a third round, that fight seemed closer than the first fight which got one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Mr.Pinchy wrote: »
    thats how she makes a living, (off her internet followers ). I have no idea how that works though.

Twitter following etc is a general gauge of how popular a fighter is and therefore how many people are watching her fights, comments, instagram pictures etc.

The more popular you are, the more money sponsors are going to pay to get you in their gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Mr.Pinchy

No YOU are wrong...I mean, thanks for the info :) . Makes sense when you put it that way, its working wonders for Conor...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,487 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Thought Jo would have been more dominant but you could definitely see her power in the clinch.

Your wan is definitely only there to get famous off a reality show, knew it sounded weird when she got offered the chance from dana and she said wasn't gonna do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

I had Calderwood winning both rounds tbh.

Glad she won, she seems quite down to earth and likeable. Think she only fought at about 60% there, seemed like she was playing it safe.

Herrig is an utter pain in the hole and I hope she's beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

The first round was close enough but I had Calderwood landing more significant strikes so I gave that to her. I can see the argument for a draw in that round though.
    I thought she controlled most of the second round too. Even though she was on the bottom for most of the round, she still never lost control and was landing shots most of the round.
    This is actually a decent season so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Yep, I gave both rounds to Calderwood. First half of round 1 she was definitely losing but turned it around towards the end and as Guapo said landed more significant strikes. 2nd round she landed the takedown and although she was slammed shortly after it was due to her being in an attacking position. Just because the other girl was on top in an awkward position for the remainder does not mean she was dominant.

The contrast between her softly spoken voice and vicious clinch work is hilarious. I'll baaaake ya a caaarrit caaake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Glock Lesnar

Wasn't impressed by Calderwood's striking at all, she threw too many kicks and was countered by the same cross on a couple of occasions. She was tentative and seemed afraid to let loose with her hands which I suppose is understandable given the tournament nature of the program. Assuming Thug Rose wins her next fight I think she'll outwork Calderwood even if she isn't on the same level skill wise over the two rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Mouthalmighty

Seems to me yer wan Felice just wants tv time and to get into movies..... Someone should tell her dropping her underwear at the drop of a hat on worldwide tv will get you into movies..... not the kind Ronda or Gina are in but movies is movies just ask the former Mrs Ortiz

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Although I may b wrong I hate to disappoint some of ye and say Felice beats Clark again and if she does she fights Randa which will most likely suit her style.

Yea she's self indulgent and a complete idiot personality wise, she's looking for attention and is getting it seems. But shes not there to lose fights.

• Advertisement

Dana White - not a good man for delivering bad news.

"Your mom called - your step dad died"

Pretty blunt!

Is there a good way to deliver bad news??? Makes no difference to the person receiving it.

Not a bad episode this week. They seemed to focus on the potential trouble that's brewing in team Pettis. Fight was meh.

Also did it seem odd to anyone else that Aisling Daly was the only member of Team Pettis that was not involved in the game they were playing and she doesn't seem to be mixing with the others at all. I know we only see a tiny percentage of what goes on but I hope she wasn't isolated or excluded on purpose. She seems like a nice girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

John_D80 wrote: »
    Is there a good way to deliver bad news??? Makes no difference to the person receiving it.

Not a bad episode this week. They seemed to focus on the potential trouble that's brewing in team Pettis. Fight was meh.

Also did it seem odd to anyone else that Aisling Daly was the only member of Team Pettis that was not involved in the game they were playing and she doesn't seem to be mixing with the others at all. I know we only see a tiny percentage of what goes on but I hope she wasn't isolated or excluded on purpose. She seems like a nice girl.

It was Team Melendez playing the game together so I wouldn't be too worried about Ais' lack of involvement.

KJ wrote: »
    It was Team Melendez playing the game together so I wouldn't be too worried about Ais' lack of involvement.

Lol my bad. :-)

Also, Jake Shields sounds almost exactly like Will Arnett.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Pretty poor performance from Ellis. Her head wasn't with it at all and I think she lost that fight before she ever stepped into the cage. As DW said, she gave up the neck fairly quickly and with very little resistance. Shame really.

On another note, I just started watching TUF 1 again. I forgot how crazy Leben was!
    It's amazing how many guys from that season became such a big part of the ufc.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,487 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Fairly poor episode, obvious your one didn't want to be there looking at her baby pics every 2 mins and crying. Mad to know when Ais is fighting and would be brilliant if they had her watching ufc dublin.

And whatever about DW's bluntness, did they really have to have the camera in her face? I know telly an all but that was a bit lousy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Pretty poor performance from Ellis. Her head wasn't with it at all and I think she lost that fight before she ever stepped into the cage. As DW said, she gave up the neck fairly quickly and with very little resistance. Shame really.

On another note, I just started watching TUF 1 again. I forgot how crazy Leben was!
    It's amazing how many guys from that season became such a big part of the ufc.

It was class but TUF 5 was the best imo. No title winners but loads who went very far in the UFC, plus Frankie Edgar didn't even make it past the trials for that season!

It was class but TUF 5 was the best imo. No title winners but loads who went very far in the UFC, plus Frankie Edgar didn't even make it past the trials for that season!

Took the words right out of my mouth. Easily the best season ever. Ticks every box. Nate Diaz stole the show for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

TUF 14 for me was the best.

Advertisement