Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TUF 20 - Pettis, Melendez, Aisling Daly **SPOILERS** **See Mod Note OP**

Options
  • 11-09-2014 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭

Spoilers from this post on. If you haven't watched the episode don't read the thread.

A decent enough first episode. Was surprised to see Aisling Daly picked last despite being the fifth seed. Think the seeding thing is a great idea, the tournament structure will provide a lot of tension and excitement as the season progresses.

Also, after murdering the pronounciation of "Cathal" on the last season, it was funny to see Dana struggle with "Aisling" :D

Should be a decent season

MOD NOTE: Read post #21 before posting

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Is it repeated anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

I too was shocked to see her picked last but from watching all her fights ever since i first seen her fight on sky sport i have no doubt in my mind she will do the business.

On a funny note that Scottish girl seems a bit off the head talking about carrots, the yanks must think were mad over this side of the pond first Paddy houlihan talking about tea and now her about carrots. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Really enjoyed that episode. Love the structure of it. Ranking system is great and having everyone know who's fighting who could make for some interesting viewing as the season progresses.

Good first fight too. Already better than TUF 19. :pac:

That_Guy wrote: »
    Really enjoyed that episode. Love the structure of it. Ranking system is great and having everyone know who's fighting who could make for some interesting viewing as the season progresses.

Good first fight too. Already better than TUF 19. :pac:

Loving the new ranking system also. Its funny how they decided to try out such a system with an all female cast. I would say this is a way to test out how the competitors fair knowing who they will fight over the first eight weeks of fighting and if successful could be used with an all male cast . Id say with an all male cast all that pent up testosterone it could lead to a few incidents in the house with this system.

But would also make for good viewing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 42 D35

Did anyone spot the big mistake ????

They flashed up the winner of one of the fights

I'll post a pic

• Advertisement

Sorry it's saying I'm a new user (over 5 years a member?)

s32.photobucket.com/user/Des_Smyth/media /20140911_184823_zpspusc7xhd. jpg.html

Can someone repost the link and delete the spaces I put in it

D35 wrote: »
    Sorry it's saying I'm a new user (over 5 years a member?)

s32.photobucket.com/user/Des_Smyth/media /20140911_184823_zpspusc7xhd. jpg.html

Can someone repost the link and delete the spaces I put in it

That was the winner of the fight from that episode.

Yeah but I took that photo before they fought, when they were picking the fights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Glock Lesnar

Great episode, couldn't be more in love with Thug Rose if I tried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

This format is really good, a huge improvement. Found the whole two hour episode a bit gruelling though. The "I grew up in the slums with alcoholics for parents and this is my chance" stuff is really the worst part of TUF. I just forward through it. Hopefully it's a bit snappier next week. The fight was great though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,730 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

In fairness, when it's an all male show, they're on camera crying like bjtches and being emotional. Now that it's an all female cast, there's less cryin and whinging than the men. And the first fight has been better than any fight on last seasons show.....by a mile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

I would say that Daly was picked last because she seems to be the smallest girl there and does not look to be in very good shape compared to the rest. That's just my objective view.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Did anybody notice in the preview at the beginning that at one point Ais is out cold on the floor in the bathroom and people trying to get her to wake up and calling an ambulance? Scary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Glock Lesnar

Do any of you follow Daly's career? What's her chances here? She was rated fairly highly in the seeding but we saw in the first episode that the seeding doesn't mean a whole lot. She doesn't look particularly athletic but she's relatively experienced compared to the other girls and she trains at SBG which has proven itself a top tier camp at UFC level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Do any of you follow Daly's career? What's her chances here? She was rated fairly highly in the seeding but we saw in the first episode that the seeding doesn't mean a whole lot. She doesn't look particularly athletic but she's relatively experienced compared to the other girls and she trains at SBG which has proven itself a top tier camp at UFC level.

She's definitely got a chance. Lisa Ellis is in the house who has a win over her but is lower ranked.

I'd say she was perhaps picked last because of what she disclosed to the coaches about taking a year off. The house has played with peoples mental game before and they might worry about that.

Anyone who underestimates her athleticism is in for a huge surprise and anyone she can get to the ground is going to be in huge trouble.

I think if she can get an early win in the first round she has a great chance of going to the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

She came back from that year off with renewed focus, a mental strength and confidence in herself that was beyond anything I'd seen out of her before. She's probably got the best Jiu Jitsu in the house and is incredibly well rounded. She's fought some incredibly high level competition and she's even finished some 135ers. She trains in a proven, high level gym with a team on the rise. There's a reason she was seeded 5th. I reckon, as others do, that the reason she was picked last is because of her frank admission as to why she took time off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

The show has it's highlights...

Solid first show, as usual an overdose of background but that's to be expected.

Rose is a highly likeable girl, particularly in her YouTube video where she wakes Pat up with a punch in the head...

Good fight, end of the first round was superb, both girls just ripping into each other, Torres with elbows and Randa with knees to the body.

I gave Markes the decision but it was close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Felice Herrig is well on her way to being my most unlikable Tuf contestant ever...that takes a lot of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Felice Herrig is well on her way to being my most unlikable Tuf contestant ever...that takes a lot of work.

Agree, I found her and her 1st round opponent very annoying in ep 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

MOD NOTE:
    Ok, commenting on a womans appearance is fine.

Posting pics up of them just because they are changing is not.

And when I say commenting on a womans appearance I mean, don't be a sleazball. Lets keep it as a rule that you may only post something about them tactful enough that you would say it to their face.

Myself and El Guapo will decide what is tactful

I'm deleting the last couple pages bickering and cards will be handed out.

Breaking of this rule will lead to a thread ban or a forum ban. I don't care what gets discussed on Sherdog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Great first episode. Brilliant fight. Aisling Daly seemed a bit peeved at being last pick understandably but it means fock all. Just ask Kelvin Gastellum. Last pick in a TUF season that had a lot of talent and now making a very noticeable mark on the welterweight rankings.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,035 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Something to consider, they hand picked 8 contestants first, then they held try outs for the rest. Ais came in via try outs. I commented at the time that she apparently dominated out there.
    Hence the no 5 seeding.
    Ian Whelan wrote: »
    I would say that Daly was picked last because she seems to be the smallest girl there and does not look to be in very good shape compared to the rest. That's just my objective view.
    I doubt she's smallest. She was previously fighting at flyweight, and is dropping down to 115 for this.
    I spoke to Alex chambers here in Oz before she flew out for the show, she said she'll prob be under the 115 limit as she's usually at 105. I doubt she's the only one who won't need to cut either.

Edit: Jessica Penne is normally 105 too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Enjoyed the 1st episode, it was good getting a bit of backround into the fighters before just seeing a load of pre lims without knowing anything about the fighters(like the normal TUF fight to get into the house). With some of the contestants having a bit of previous from the other promotion it could make for some really good grudge matches, but hope the producers don't turn it too much into big brother & just show bickering & "drama".

I noticed as someone mentioned earlier but Daly being passed out in the bathroom, looked like could be quite serious, hope its not. She looked like she was out cold :(

Good first fight to kick off the new season, I did see the mistake early in the episode when they showed the winner moved into next fight before all the fights had been picked. I thought it was just my eyes tricking me but glad I found out I'm not nuts reading this thread :)

I didn't really like the way Pettis came across on the show but only 1st show so that could change. Melendez seemed to have had his homework done & mind pretty much madeup before the try outs. His team seemed very relaxed during the tryouts, I wonder if Nate lit a big blunt just before cameras starting rolling ;)

1st episode was better than whole of last season so I'm looking forward to the rest of it. Think these girls have a real hunger to go out & smash whoever is in front of them to win the new belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,487 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just got to watch it, that was a better fight than any in tuf 19 (not hard i know). Looks like it will be a good season. Fair play Ais coming straight out with her time off over illness, mustn't have been easy. Can't wait to see her fight. Bit worrying about how they showed her on the season preview bit tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Fair ****ing play to ais. Ranked number 5 despite not been hand picked and rightly with a chip on her shoulder over being picked last. bet she smashed whoever she fights after fainting if she is allowed to fight

Tbf being picked last isn't as bad as usual as the worst were automatically picked as they went with the top seeds. She was picked middle and ranked very high so she and others shouldn't be too disheartened by it.

adamski8 wrote: »
    Tbf being picked last isn't as bad as usual as the worst were automatically picked as they went with the top seeds. She was picked middle and ranked very high so she and others shouldn't be too disheartened by it.
    It's true that the lower ranked fighters were already gone at that stage. But on the other hand, she wasn't actually picked at all.

There were more girls not picked than picked. Doesnt matter anyway.

adamski8 wrote: »
    There were more girls not picked than picked.
    Wut??
    How did you work that one out? :confused:

Every fighter picked, had a corresponding fighter who went to the other team automatically without being picked. 8 of each.

• Advertisement

Your right. Ok so half of them didn't get picked ;)

Advertisement