Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you change about Boards?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Thanks is a handy feature to show support or agreement and saves you posting '+1' or whatever , IMO

Yes - upto a point but it also means:

• your my bestest buddy and we always thank each others posts
    • that was genuinely humerous
    • we're mods and we always thank each others posts for the pure fun of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I'm not sure if the first and third point there is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭House of Blaze

realies wrote: »
    All keyboard warriors should be first vetted by the mods in the military forum :-)

SIR YES SIR! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

You younguns and your "thanks"

Back in my day we had rep, sweet sweet rep. Greens were gooduns and reds were the bads.

*shakes fist*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I suppose everything has a flaw but even with the above I think it's a worthwhile feature

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

A vomit smiley.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

A ban on new members starting threads in AH, for the first 12 weeks after they join. Introduce a thumbs down button and if that's not possible. Then for balance, remove the thanks button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

wazky wrote: »
    It's usually the same "clique" that ruin it for the rest of us though.
    AKA ’Thread derailment gang’

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

gugleguy wrote: »
    AKA ’Thread derailment gang’

Not necessarily, some sporting threads have their own fanboy club & if you go against their highly thought of opinions there is normally an outbreak of outraged diarrhea

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Getting paid for posts would be fun! :pac:

Side note: 3,700 posts! Not sad at all....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

K-9 wrote: »
    I never get the whole deal over thanks, seems an insecurity thing or something! ;) Seems to be something to do with somebody having an "alternative" opinion and not being able to deal with the "sheep" disagreeing with them.

Like anything else it's abused sometimes but it's quite democratic. For example a lot of the time funny or good posts are rewarded even if the posters are not in a clique or well known . One thing that was noticeable when it came in was that the unwashed public didn't exactly rush to thank some of the well known clique types of that time. Possibly why some of them left citing how much the site had changed or "gone corporate".

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I suppose everything has a flaw but even with the above I think it's a worthwhile feature

Sometimes on busy threads I sometimes "mark" where I've read to with a thanks :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Sometimes on busy threads I sometimes "mark" where I've read to with a thanks :)

Tip for you: click the little blue button before the thread name and it will bring you to where you finished reading last time you were on the thread.

On touch site, click somewhere in the thread name box (for lack of a better description) other than the actual name of the thread (brings you to the start) or the time of the last post (brings you to the lost recent)

:)

Tip for you: click the little blue button before the thread name and it will bring you to where you finished reading last time you were on the thread.

:)

It certainly does. You sir are aptly named ;)

I will abuse the thanks button no longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

I'd ban words with the letter "e".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Free access to Sex and Sexuality forum

I'd ban words with the letter "e".

Ok Doctor Strang!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

A strawman button would be brilliant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭truffle5

wazky wrote: »
    I'd install stricter regulations on what can and cannot be posted, I find myself often highly offended at posts in threads.

It's amazing the amount of delicate petals that think they can shut down debate simply because they are "offended" at the opposing opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭bulleyes

The 50 post rule. I,m almost there though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

bulleyes wrote: »

C'mon you can do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

truffle5 wrote: »
    It's amazing the amount of delicate petals that think they can shut down debate simply because they are "offended" at the opposing opinions.

I find your post offensive, you racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

bulleyes wrote: »

Urge to abuse mod powah.....rising! *finger hovers over delete*

truffle5 wrote: »

Palestinians, a great bunch of lads !

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

I'd shorten the duration of the standard bans issued,

Purely as an example, I don't see what a month ban achieves that a two week ban doesn't in terms of a warning shot across the bows of a poster who breaks the rules

a ban that seems excessive is more likely to result in a re-reg and creates more work for mods and the prison forum

eviltwin wrote: »
    Free access to Sex and Sexuality forum

I don't think you're ready for the excitement :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

BBDBB wrote: »
    a ban that seems excessive is more likely to result in a re-reg and creates more work for mods and the prison forum
    It's fun though to see whether or not I am right or not in guessing whether or not someone is a re- reg. Regardless what re regs think. Think of it as a sport. Personally I don't think I'd successfully pass off as somebody else on boards.ie as a re reg. I'd say there are a small bunch you somehow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,054 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Write a programme which could permaban persisrent rereg accounts.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The OP of a thread should have the power to ban anyone who is derailing his/her thread, this function is on the ConnectingSingles forum.

It's very handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Garzard

Allow attacking the poster as well as their post.

Advertisement