Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you change about Boards?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

On another forum I am on, you can hide threads. I know, I know, I don't have to read them :pac:, but I do find it useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

I don't see the point of the whole friends thing. Are you supposed to send Birthday and Christmas cards or what?

Why even do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Yeh there's only a point to the friends list thing on Boards if you don't want PM's from anyone besides those on your friends list.

I have still befriended people on Boards - couldn't resist due to their beautiful gorgeousness.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Lol I think everyone on my friends list doesn't use the site anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

A legit profile pic for everyone so I'd know who's posts to thank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

EunanMac wrote: »
    I would definitely get rid of the thanks feature, there is a lot of thanks whoring going on, and it takes the focus away from most discussions.

I never get the whole deal over thanks, seems an insecurity thing or something! ;) Seems to be something to do with somebody having an "alternative" opinion and not being able to deal with the "sheep" disagreeing with them.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭240 Robert

Censure mods who do not reply to msgs/queries at all or within a reasonable time frame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Thanks is a handy feature to show support or agreement and saves you posting '+1' or whatever , IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

240 Robert wrote: »
    Censure mods who do not reply to msgs/queries at all or within a reasonable time frame.

What's your definition of a reasonable timeframe?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I wouldn't change much. Probably be stricter on people dragging threads off topic as anywhere after the 100th post is rarely related to the OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭240 Robert

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    What's your definition of a reasonable timeframe?

Within 14 - 20 days time frame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Add the thanks function in the prison forum so that the inmates would have to thank the prison moderators posts to get a chance of returning to the whole site. Only in the prison forum the thanks button is labelled the 'Mercy - Guilty as charged' button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

I hate been left out of all the fun. :( Bast*rding cliques!:mad:
    B¡tchy cliques as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Have a 'speech' function for all the partially sighted posters. They could then hear what is posted in the accent of the posters native county.

The Cork replies would be hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

A 'you're talking billox' button, so you would't have to reply to a post where somebody is....well...talking billox

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

oldyouth wrote: »
    A 'you're talking billox' button, so you would't have to reply to a post where somebody is....well...talking billox

You might as well attach it to my user name now then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

The ability to F•ck someone out of it at least once a month.
    Sometimes a yellow card is worth it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=91973732

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭The Purveyor of Truth

Unless there are 999 blind, deaf, armless mutes in your gaff and you have somehow related the content of a thread to these poor unfortunate souls, and in response to this, they have communicated their opinions on the thread topic to you, along also with a request that you endorse an opinion posted on the thread, on their behalf (seeing as in their predicament, they can't do so for themselves).. then FCUK OFF WITH POSTING +1000!! You're ONE fcuking person. +1 (if you must) and then fcuk off!

Should be against the charter and instant siteban if breached.

When I first joined Boards nearly 10 years ago I thought it was really cliquey too (and believe me the esoteric stuff was a LOT worse then - amp test... wtf?!) and there are circles of friends for sure, and this can influence how they interact, but in fairness it's not like people decide "Right, let's set up a clique and ostracise other members!"
    It just... happens. Everyone's a newbie at one point, and those who complain about cliques often unwittingly become part of one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Have a 'speech' function for all the partially sighted posters. They could then hear what is posted in the accent of the posters native county.

The Cork replies would be hilarious.

it would drive the guide dogs nuts though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

Double post please delete this post

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

Hide crap threads. How this could work is we could have a "safe browsing" filter and if a thread gets 5 or more 1 star ratings in x amount of time it becomes invisible to those with safe browsing turned on...well until it gets some positive ratings

The safe browing filter could be at the bottom of page;
    h ttp://i.gyazo.com/e586e14294f211596c8469f7a1411180.png
    h ttp://i.gyazo.com/cbfd1858609096226ecad203bef29acb.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Joziburg

An iPhone app...how many years does it take

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭EunanMac

K-9 wrote: »
    I never get the whole deal over thanks, seems an insecurity thing or something! ;) Seems to be something to do with somebody having an "alternative" opinion and not being able to deal with the "sheep" disagreeing with them.

Strawman and ad homiem buttons would be a lot more useful on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Nah, it's a general observation. I don't get the fascination with it. If I'm in a minority opinion, well, it's going to be unpopular to a degree by definition, a load of thanks on an opposing point of view post just signifies it reflects popular opinion/support.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Nah, it's a general observation. I don't get the fascination with it. If I'm in a minority opinion, well, it's going to be unpopular to a degree by definition, a load of thanks on an opposing point of view post just signifies it reflects popular opinion/support.

Boards opinions are only representative of boards users, nothing more

Why the upset over the thanks button so?

Why the upset over the thanks button so?

I don't know, why are you upset ? Stick to the discussion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

We do'nt get the boards we deserve, we get the boards we need :P

**drums up Hans Zimmer epic music**

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

240 Robert wrote: »

Flogging is too good for them :rolleyes:

Advertisement