Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Also remember there is NO Glasto in 2017 so it will be harder to get them next year.
    the fallow year has been moved to 2018 instead:
    http://www.itv.com/news/west/update/2015-06-19/glastonbury-will-take-place-in-2017-after-all/

Great reading the reviews of people who went over for the weekend, would love to do it myself sometime. Is the ticket process just completely random? I know you have to register before hand and all of that, but how do 'regulars' get to go every year? What are your chances of getting a ticket if you do register? Did most people on here who went over stay in campervans or did many bring tents with them?
    you have to register, but you pretty much just have to try buy the tickets online the same as everyone else on the morning they come onsale.
    there are plenty of regulars who miss out but as The IrishGrover says, if you're organised with several people and a few devices, someone should get in. even then a lot of it is luck, lots of people manage to buy a ticket for themselves with just one device while groups who have been several times before might not get any.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Sorry to hear you had No Protection from the poo water ruining your tent. At least you were Safe From Harm sleeping in your car. :cool:

*coat*

All I can say is, I hope who ever did it fell into a karmacoma!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

"Regulars" get them because they (certainly I, anyway) normally have as many people as possible/as many avenues as possible trying for tickets. If you are going to go for 6 tickets EVERYONE should be trying for them at the very least. Last time we had 8 people trying, I had my laptop going and another laptop going through my phone's hotspot while I was dialing the UK every 15 seconds. If people can't do that much then how are they going to put up with camping.

Oh, and the resale is also worth a try if you don't get them first round. I've gotten them twice through resale

You can get them alright, just takes a bit of patience and planning and luck.

As for Camping V Campervan? 99.9% camp in tents. You can rent campervans and there are a few here who have but that gets VERY expensive. Just remember to pitch your tent on a slope and get a decent sized tent (Typically a 3-man for a single person realistically) with 2 skins. Doesn't have to be hundreds of quid but a decent quality one. Resist the temptation to camp on the flat amongst the stages and you'll be grand. At least that' my (Overvalued) two cents worth.

Edit: Sorry for the tone in the first paragraph. Sounds harsh but was not meant to. Just stating best way to get tickets.

Also remember there is NO Glasto in 2017 so it will be harder to get them next year.
    you have to register, but you pretty much just have to try buy the tickets online the same as everyone else on the morning they come onsale.
    there are plenty of regulars who miss out but as The IrishGrover says, if you're organised with several people and a few devices, someone should get in. even then a lot of it is luck, lots of people manage to buy a ticket for themselves with just one device while groups who have been several times before might not get any.

Nice one, cheers lads. The fact that it's on in 2017 now too gives me two years to attempt to grab tickets and find someone to go with. Reading the reviews on here is great, not a single bad word said about it.

Blisterman wrote: »
    Back now. What a weekend!

My Highlights:
    The Waterboys
    Drew a tiny crowd at the Pyramid, but put on an amazing show. Such energy. Loved the keyboardist, going mental at the keys.

check 2:40 here, seems a pretty good crowd for an early slot i think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭oleras

Whole show.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Kettle316

Finally made it home after what was easily the best week of my life! First time at Glastonbury and I end up slipping in the mud and tearing the meniscus in my knee the Saturday night! Limped around on it all day Sunday, got home Monday and was rushed for emergency surgery on Tuesday :(

Even after that I wouldn't change a second of it!! It's the greatest place in the world and I'm already looking forward to getting back over next year :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

Kettle316 wrote: »
    Finally made it home after what was easily the best week of my life! First time at Glastonbury and I end up slipping in the mud and tearing the meniscus in my knee the Saturday night! Limped around on it all day Sunday, got home Monday and was rushed for emergency surgery on Tuesday :(

Even after that I wouldn't change a second of it!! It's the greatest place in the world and I'm already looking forward to getting back over next year :)

Dedication at it's finest!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

That's a pretty small crowd by Pyramid standards. Compared to James Bay in the same time slot the day before, where it was rammed all the way back to the tents with people standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Goreme

I agree with you there. I was wondering if they would pander to the performance like they normally do and never criticise. I was actually pleasantly surprised that Jo Wiley at least spoke up and said it was a mixed performance, that some worked and some bits didn't - thundering criticism by today's "Everybody's wonderful" music media opinion makers. The beardy chap with her took the easy route that it was a Wonderful performance.
    lertsnim wrote: »
    Listening to the BBC presenters going on about Kanye West. FFS. Jo Wiley wanted to say he was bollocks but obviously not allowed to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Goreme wrote: »
    I agree with you there. I was wondering if they would pander to the performance like they normally do and never criticise. I was actually pleasantly surprised that Jo Wiley at least spoke up and said it was a mixed performance, that some worked and some bits didn't - thundering criticism by today's "Everybody's wonderful" music media opinion makers. The beardy chap with her took the easy route that it was a Wonderful performance.
    No more than myself, Jo only watched it on tv too.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭ts_editor

Lionel's 'Best of' going top of the album charts:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33352552

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

Another first timer here. Can only echo Sebcity's report above which was very similar to our experience.

If I had to sum it up in one word I think it would be "Quality"

Quality food
    Quality beer/cider
    Quality acts
    Quality acoustics & sound systems - from the Pyramid right down to the smallest bar stage the sounds were immense, from wherever you chose to stand.
    Quality stewards
    Quality beer policy - you can bring in your own ffs! These people trust you.

And of course quality punters; no hipsters, yuppies or scumbags, just regular people of all ages who are hugely into their music.

Not going to bore with list of great bands on show, but I would say the Waterboys, as always, were phenomenal. They could easily headline here and not look a bit out of place.

Plus special mention to Wilko for even being here and delivering his usual brilliance.

The only downside would be even more disappointed at not getting a ticket for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Chelon wrote: »
    Not going to bore with list of great bands on show, but I would say the Waterboys, as always, were phenomenal. They could easily headline here and not look a bit out of place.

+1 Saw them in Cork last Sunday night and they were in great form, definitely a band who step up a level when playing live, heavier than you'd expect from listening to their albums and always brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Just read through this mammoth thread.
    Got back on Tuesday night, had a fab time. Second time so was nice to have my bearings, got to see a lot more bands this time cos I bimbled off by myself a lot and met up with other members of camp depending on what everyone was seeing.
    Ate a lot more this year as well, the food is just so fooking good. I'd heard about a raclette swiss cheese place on efests and spent 3 days looking for it. Was worth it. Nommy nommers.
    Highlight was my fish finger sandwich on Sunday though.
    Loved Run the Jewels, Young Fathers were great but should really have been on in a tent and much later.
    Charli XCX surprised me, had no intention of seeing her but just happened to be passing John Peel after leaving our stuff at the lockups by Gate A. She was incredible and couldn't believe I knew most of her songs.
    So many more in the cabaret and croissant neuf tents which is where I like to hang out. Honorable mention to The Lounge Kittens who I've seen twice at each festival and Elle and her pocket Belles. Also all the other weird and wonderful stuff you see there.

Low points
    Arseholes píssing everywhere and the usual fúckwits littering. And the lovely used travel john left out side our tent.

Fabulous time for the most part and brandy hot chocolate as a night cap in the small world stage is highly recommended as well as the lovely staff.
    Roll on October ticket sales!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

A bunch of folk on efestivals Glastonbury chat thread have put up a thread called Set downloads, there is some nice audios and videos in there, great for momentos and what not, or for just spoiling future EP sets. http://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/topic/196529-set-downloads-2015/

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Man oh man.. what a week to break my Glastonbury cherry!

Flew into Bath on Wednesday - spent a night there. Absolutely beautiful city. Can't recommend 'Burgers and Barrels' - absolutey amazing burgers but a TINY place. Probably 8 spaces at the bar and 3 tables of 4 - that's it!

Then onto Glastonbury Thursday morning.

Firstly - camping - now the Glasto purists may not like this but Worthy View (albeit with a premium price for camping) was an absolute godsend! Car parked up, 5 minute walk to pre-erected tent with cold beer in hand 5 minutes later. EPO wristbands mean going back and forth to the car was a breeze and we got out to Weston-Super-Mare within 70 minutes leaving at mid-day on Monday. Queues for showers was minimal if you were up relatively early (or relatively late.. just avoid maybe 9.30 - 11.30) and some nice toilets which were a welcome distraction from the "long drops".

Onto the festival - where do I start? What an amazing few days - met some lovely people, ate some amazing food and saw some truly great performances. The vibe is so chilled and friendly - everyone was lovely (from the stewards, vendors to the common man and woman).

The music - probably saw close to 20 bands. Maybe 14 full sets but didn't get to see Arcadia, barely went around Shangri-La and missed a loads of tents (Acoustic, Park etc).

The highlights: Florence, Chemical Brothers, Lionel, Alt-J, Catfish & The Bottlemen, Death Cab For Cutie, Bastille (from what I heard of their secret-set in Williams Green)
    The lowlights: Kanye (went kind of out of curiousity, but he was terrible!)

Had an absolute ball of a time and anyone who has always wanted to go but never was really sure? DO IT.. seriously.. DO IT!

Spent a few days going around the South-West after it - Weston-Super-Mare through Dartmoor onto Torquay then onto Poole and Bournemouth and then for a final day in Bristol. If I did the same tour again? Definitely go back to Bristol, but not Weston-Super-Mare ("Cocoon: The Beach Years"). Another food recommendation in Bristol - Turtle Bay for amazing caribbean food and you gotta try the Guinness Punch (Guinness, Sweetened Condensed Milk, Vanilla and Nutmeg) - like a boozy refreshing milk-shake!

Glastonbury was truly one of the best weekends I've had in a long LONG time - so see you guys in October for the battle for tickets! :D

Now onto my Sky Box and iPlayer to watch a few hundred more hours of it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Basq wrote: »
    Man oh man.. what a week to break my Glastonbury cherry!

Flew into Bath on Wednesday - spent a night there. Absolutely beautiful city. Can't recommend 'Burgers and Barrels' - absolutey amazing burgers but a TINY place. Probably 8 spaces at the bar and 3 tables of 4 - that's it!

Then onto Glastonbury Thursday morning.

Firstly - camping - now the Glasto purists may not like this but Worthy View (albeit with a premium price for camping) was an absolute godsend! Car parked up, 5 minute walk to pre-erected tent with cold beer in hand 5 minutes later. EPO wristbands mean going back and forth to the car was a breeze and we got out to Weston-Super-Mare within 70 minutes leaving at mid-day on Monday. Queues for showers was minimal if you were up relatively early (or relatively late.. just avoid maybe 9.30 - 11.30) and some nice toilets which were a welcome distraction from the "long drops".

Onto the festival - where do I start? What an amazing few days - met some lovely people, ate some amazing food and saw some truly great performances. The vibe is so chilled and friendly - everyone was lovely (from the stewards, vendors to the common man and woman).

The music - probably saw close to 20 bands. Maybe 14 full sets but didn't get to see Arcadia, barely went around Shangri-La and missed a loads of tents (Acoustic, Park etc).

The highlights: Florence, Chemical Brothers, Lionel, Alt-J, Catfish & The Bottlemen, Death Cab For Cutie, Bastille (from what I heard of their secret-set in Williams Green)
    The lowlights: Kanye (went kind of out of curiousity, but he was terrible!)

Had an absolute ball of a time and anyone who has always wanted to go but never was really sure? DO IT.. seriously.. DO IT!

Spent a few days going around the South-West after it - Weston-Super-Mare through Dartmoor onto Torquay then onto Poole and Bournemouth and then for a final day in Bristol. If I did the same tour again? Definitely go back to Bristol, but not Weston-Super-Mare ("Cocoon: The Beach Years"). Another food recommendation in Bristol - Turtle Bay for amazing caribbean food and you gotta try the Guinness Punch (Guinness, Sweetened Condensed Milk, Vanilla and Nutmeg) - like a boozy refreshing milk-shake!

Glastonbury was truly one of the best weekends I've had in a long LONG time - so see you guys in October for the battle for tickets! :D

Now onto my Sky Box and iPlayer to watch a few hundred more hours of it! :D

How much was the Worthy view set up?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

threein99 wrote: »
    How much was the Worthy view set up?
    Not cheap..

£270 for 2 man Scout Tent for 5 nights (albeit a big bloody scout tent) + £25 Car Parking. Other accommodation options here!

This time 2 weeks ago I'd have said it's a rip-off... but not now - if (I mean "when") I'm going back, I'll DEFINITELY do it again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Basq wrote: »
    Not cheap..

£270 for 2 man Scout Tent for 5 nights (albeit a big bloody scout tent) + £25 Car Parking. Other accommodation options here!

This time 2 weeks ago I'd have said it's a rip-off... but not now - if (I mean "when") I was going back, I'd DEFINITELY do it again!

Pricey alright, but considering its for 5 nights it's not too bad, I'm not going to EP this year as the crowd that's going are insisting on Glamping, that word alone wrecks my head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Anyone else send a postcard from the stall at the Green Futures field or thereabouts? Just wondering if I'm unlucky that it didn't arrive, or if they just chucked the whole lot in the bin.

didn't do it, but they do send them as i've heard of others getting theirs in previous years.
    i'd imagine they didn't send them until Tuesday at the earliest, so it will probably be some time next week by the time it makes it over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

Anyone else send a postcard from the stall at the Green Futures field or thereabouts? Just wondering if I'm unlucky that it didn't arrive, or if they just chucked the whole lot in the bin.

I sent 3 to Ireland from that stall. All have arrived, the last one on Friday.

A bunch of folk on efestivals Glastonbury chat thread have put up a thread called Set downloads, there is some nice audios and videos in there, great for momentos and what not, or for just spoiling future EP sets. http://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/topic/196529-set-downloads-2015/

That's excellent. I see you can download from the BBC Iplayer but says the content will expire after 30 days or so.

That's excellent. I see you can download from the BBC Iplayer but says the content will expire after 30 days or so.

Yeah, but you have to have a UK address or ISP to get the iplayer they ain't going to let you download it from the Republic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

And of course quality punters; no hipsters, yuppies or scumbags, just regular people of all ages who are hugely into their music.

hahaha, are you for real? Unless, you are a hipster/yuppie. You didn't see Motorhead then I take it? All the ironic rockers.....:cool::rolleyes:

Yeah, but you have to have a UK address or ISP to get the iplayer they ain't going to let you download it from the Republic.

I've got a work VPN but I believe mediahint or the smartDNS proxy should get round that.

seachto7 wrote: »
    hahaha, are you for real? Unless, you are a hipster/yuppie. You didn't see Motorhead then I take it? All the ironic rockers.....:cool::rolleyes:

No I didn't see them. Guess I'm just lucky then that all the bands I was following have fanbases of regular genuine people who are hugely into their music.

I use Hola to watch some of the Glastonbury sets but I've never tried to download the iplayer yet anyway, will just wait for these guys in efestivals to post the links, want to get that Jon Hopkins set on video anyway, Steel Pulse and the Chemical Brothers too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Sent one Wednesday evening and it made it to London by Thursday afternoon!

Advertisement