Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Smaller scale event would surely require a smaller budget to cover it adequately, so, RTÉ 'should' still be able to do a good job, but as mentioned above hairstyle McDermot will probably just be interviewing Z listers and making stupid jokes about bananas or frogs or something!

He is horrendous I will agree on that point. Get Jenny Heuston back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

Got home earlier. What a week!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,429 ✭✭✭✭cson

How manic is it there in terms of crowds/queues etc?

Glasto is on my bucket list but read the Wiki the other night and didn't realise it was 175k or so capacity :eek:

Almost the equivalent of landing the entire city of Cork into a few fields in Somerset.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭rock whore

cson wrote: »

Glasto is on my bucket list but read the Wiki the other night and didn't realise it was 175k or so capacity :eek:

Almost the equivalent of landing the entire city of Cork into a few fields in Somerset.

The size of the festival is difficult to fathom until you see it yourself. I've been told that myself but it really only hits home when you are there and have to walk an hour across to your campsite.

For comparison check the sitemap and try to imagine the pyramid stage as slane castle, the other stage as marlay park, and any of the smaller areas are comparable to a full festival site in Ireland.

Crowding is therefore not an issue. This year it was limited to 135k capacity but add to that 68k performers and staff onsite. And yet there is always room, it's that big.

Only had one bad queue after Florence, Super Furry Animals and Hot Chip finished on Friday night.

Because everyone has their own booze, bar queues are not a problem, and are rare.

Toilet queues do happen but there are so many that they move quickly.

So glad I went. It really is a unique festival. Go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Recovering in a bristol hotel room here before my flight tomorrow and have to agree that ye was a bit by the numbers, and I'm a big fan. We were all expecting something special like his coachella 2011 show. Or even a controversial rant! Where I was was absolutely jammers and kinda dangerous. I don't like the pyramid stage and was my only time there, you're so far away you might as well be watching on TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

That's quite a few fields.

FG-Website-Map-v4.png

Probably a better example of civic planning than Cork is, too. :D

For this year, just contenting myself on some leisurely digestion of the contents of my DVR, after a couple of red button frenzies over the weekend. Not sure if they're doing any more over the following week, as they have in the past. Might be a rights thing. Or they might just be strangled to death by the Womble coverage now.

Right now watching Suede. I know they're a bit blast from the past, but they really did (cliché warning!) kill it.

Does any one know if BBC showed any of Death Cab For Cutie's set earlier? Herself wanted to see it.

They did! Very short, though. Also nearly missed it, as the BBC RB twitter was giving very short notice, and identifying bands only by their twits. But fortunately I just about figured out "@dcfc" in time.

I assume they'll have (at least) the same set on iPlayer. Oddly enough the graphic the Beeb used for them is one of their touring keyboards/guitars "side men", Zac Rae. Not an "official" Death Cabbie at all! Maybe just the most "Glasto" looking guy available on stage. (Beard, ponytail/topknot of modest proportions.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

rock whore wrote: »
    The size of the festival is difficult to fathom until you see it yourself. I've been told that myself but it really only hits home when you are there and have to walk an hour across to your campsite.

For comparison check the sitemap and try to imagine the pyramid stage as slane castle, the other stage as marlay park, and any of the smaller areas are comparable to a full festival site in Ireland.

Crowding is therefore not an issue. This year it was limited to 135k capacity but add to that 68k performers and staff onsite. And yet there is always room, it's that big.

Only had one bad queue after Florence, Super Furry Animals and Hot Chip finished on Friday night.

Because everyone has their own booze, bar queues are not a problem, and are rare.

Toilet queues do happen but there are so many that they move quickly.

So glad I went. It really is a unique festival. Go for it!

When it used to be easy to break in you'd get 250,000 with only 100,00 tickets on sale;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,654 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Any word on how Hozier got on? Did he kill it or what :-)

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Any word on how Hozier got on? Did he kill it or what :-)

Yeah he did well. I think he was more liked there than slane! Good crowd turned up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Do it! Although there are huge numbers on site it feels like a regular gig!
    Although the noticeable differences with the numbers I found were, the tent stages are pretty much impossible to get into! Packed so early. Made several attempts to get into John Peel last year not a hope!
    I also found the mud was unreal, allot of people in a small'ish area + extra festival days take its toll on the ground. I'd been to a huge amount of festivals before and knew what to expect but wow!! Every square inch open to the public was 6" deep of mud. The mud carried onto the decking it might as well not have been there. You couldn't sit down anywhere, or put a bag or can down for a second.

Fatfrog wrote: »
    I also found the mud was unreal, allot of people in a small'ish area + extra festival days take its toll on the ground. I'd been to a huge amount of festivals before and knew what to expect but wow!! Every square inch open to the public was 6" deep of mud. The mud carried onto the decking it might as well not have been there. You couldn't sit down anywhere, or put a bag or can down for a second.

Don't think I could cope with that angle. I've only been to one festival, which just happened to be in Germany. Went with my gig buddy, who'd been to various UK fests (but not Glasto, I don't think), and who couldn't get over the lack of mud. And that there were showers... with actual hot water! And toilets... with actual loo roll!

Not to mention wall-to-wall sunshine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Although the noticeable differences with the numbers I found were, the tent stages are pretty much impossible to get into! Packed so early. Made several attempts to get into John Peel last year not a hope!

Is walking from the car park to the campsite a massive journey or how is it layed out?

threein99 wrote: »
    Is walking from the car park to the campsite a massive journey or how is it layed out?

Let me google that for you!

mapbig.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

We must have been at different festivals! There was a little bit of mud following a few showers but overall it was absolutely grand this year. Definitely no 6" mudpools anyway.

I just woke from a 16-hour post-Glasto sleep. Highlights for me were Father John Misty, Kanye (when he was good he was unbelievable), Death Cab, and Alt-J. Great weekend.

There was a few incidents but nothing mad!
    We go to the campervan (East) site at 7am on wednesday, drove straight in. Tried to enter the arena at 9am-ish and had to queue for about 45 mins, but that was because of all the camping people coming from the carparks through the campervan site.

Second one was for Lionel, it was tough to get in to the pyramid stage when he was on, took about 20 mins to find a standing spot. Then we had to sit for about 30 mins after he finished to let the crowd disperse.

Apart from that we queued for nothing and walked freely around. IT'S HUGE.

Is this talk about mud from last year? I didn't see mud that bad anywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Back now. What a weekend!

My Highlights:
    The Waterboys
    Drew a tiny crowd at the Pyramid, but put on an amazing show. Such energy. Loved the keyboardist, going mental at the keys.

Flying Lotus
    Great set, mixing all sorts of genres. Brought on the legendary George Clinton for a few tracks. FlyLo's giddiness at playing with his idol was really endearing.

Future Islands
    Great songs, and the singer's dad dancing and enthusiasm was infectious.

Kanye West
    Must have been a different experience seeing it live at the front than at home, cause I thought he was great. No rants. No bull****, just one man on a mic commanding the stage and playing great track after track. The crowd around me loved it, rapping along with every word. Incredible atmosphere.

My First Glastonbury

This is basically what we did over the 5 days. Apologies for the length! I am not good enough a writer to convey the feelings and atmosphere of the place so excuse the black and whiteness please and add a sense of magic!

Set off on Tuesday night in our rented campervan. We were a group of 4, 2 couples. Got the ferry from Dublin to Holyhead. People may wonder why did we go to Holyhead and not Rosslare, 3 of the 4 of us couldn't take a half day on the Tuesday so wouldn't have made it down to Rosslare for the 8pm ferry. I had purposely deprived myself of sleep on Monday night so I could sleep on the ferry as I would be driving through the night, this worked a treat. Disembarked at Holyhead at 12.30am and we were on our way! Google maps told us it would take 5 and a half hours to get there...I don't think it factored in that we were in a campervan that would only go 90km/h! :pac:
    Got to the entrance for about 7am, I was expecting tailbacks! Nothing!! Drove straight in :cool: We had a choice of the family camping or the normal camping, we chose family.
    Set up shop in E25. Instantly became friends with a couple of our neighbours. One was a bit of a veteran, we ended up calling him uncle Mike for the week as he was full of advice. He had his family with him and was about to ring in sick to his daughters school on their behalf (with a can of cider in his hand at 7am). Legend

The weather couldn't have been better. We wandered in to the arena at about 9 much to the girls dismay as they wanted a bit of shut eye. There was a queue to get across the road at pgC and then get our wristbands etc. Took about 45 mins. The view at the top of the hill was unbelievable! It was so exciting.

We eventually got through the gates. Walking south through the T&C area we were just "look at this, look at that" and nothing had even began! Heading down past West Holts, we had our first beer under the flags then went up to the stone circle. There was a nice crowd there already with a group of people in the circle dressed in red, singing and chanting. It was a bit bonkers but so cool to watch! After that we headed to the Glasto sign. I had read you are supposed to walk up this hill without turning around so I explained that to the group and up we went. It's quite steep!! Got to the top and turned around - spectacular. What a view! We stayed there for a while but started getting sleepy so went back to the van around lunchtime via Arcadia and the Other Stage.

We were back awake at 6pmish and headed back in. Had a look around the Pyramid stage and Silver Hayes then went down the SE corner!! We went in the Unfairground. WTF. Hung around the Shangri La for the night then! Insane.

So day 1 we got to see a good bit of the place and had a good idea of directions and landmarks.

As we were in a campervan, we got a decent sleep and had a shower in the morning. This is the advantage! So were fresh again on Thursday. We went back in for 12 for day 2 of wandering, chatting, randomness and exploring. Spent the day in West Holts, the Glasto sign, the healing fields and green area and spent the night around The Glade. There was a lot more people around on the Thursday. About now we were figuring out how good it is to be able to bring your own drink in with you. We got a cold pint or 2 of cider but were on our own cans/spirits for the most part. Turns out the cans didnt get too warm in my bag so I was happy out.

Friday morning - the music was starting today. We were excited. We had already getting into the habit of getting up in the morning, using the portaloos in the campervan field (they were very clean, so surprised at this), setting up our chairs and table and having breakfast outside, showering then heading in around 12. Always amazed at the view walking down our hill of death! On Friday there was a bit of a queue for the ticket check but moved quite quickly. Again, we noticed the increase of people but it only added to the great atmosphere. Our first gig was James Bay on the Pyramid. It was good! I then went solo and saw Catfish, Wolf Alice and Run The Jewels. Talked ****e to randomers, it was great! The rain started during Catfish. I had the first glimpse of the famous Glasto mud but it wasn't too bad. Got back to the gang for Libertines and Florence. The Libertines were a great surprise! And I wasn't too pushed to see Florence but she put on a super show, it was really good. After that we headed to the Glade for the night. Around bedtime we started see why the hill of death was called so, fatigue must have been setting in!

Saturday - same again! I went in solo for Waterboys. Talked tripe to people sitting around me. I loved how everyone had a great attitude and was up for conversation. The rest joined me for George Ezra, who was another good surprise. I really enjoyed his set. We then went to the Acoustic tent for the first time for Tommy Emmanuel - what a legend. It was so chilled out up there, really cool. Think we headed to Clean Bandit then on the Other Stage via the circus area. That place is mad! Then back for Paloma Faith, then to Deadmau5 which was a bit disappointing so we caught the end of Kanye. Didn't think much of it but I can say I saw him. Down the SE corner for the night then.

Sunday was our last day as some of our crew needed to be in work on Monday morning (eejits). We were to get the 2.45am ferry from Pembroke. I was dessie the driver so I had to stay sober which wasn't too bad! We had a good roam around the greenfields and we saw Hozier, Twin Atlantic, and the legend Lionel Richie. As I mentioned in an earlier post, it was a bit mad. We were a little late getting there so it took about 20 mins just to get into the crowd and a decent standing spot at the back. Lionel was awesome. Then we just sat for 30 mins after him til the crowd died down a bit. We then headed back to the acoustic tent for the Bootleg Beatles! They were really fun and got the crowd going! We then had our last dinner and headed out. We had our last view from the top of the hill of death, a bit of a group hug and then back to the van.

What an experience.

Got to Pembroke and were one of the first to board. We had a cabin reserved so we could get some sleep. This was a great idea. We also had a proper hot shower in the morning too. The drive up from Rosslare wasn't too bad and they all got into work for 9.30ish. I had to clean the camper on my own and drive it back to the owners in Meath....I got home about 12 and was about to take a nap when they rang asking where all the cutlery and dishes were. I had taken them out to wash them but forgot to put them back. UGHHH so have to do that today.

So all in all, Glastonbury is one of the best things I've ever done. We saw a lot of music but also stuck our heads in many random tents and watch little shows in between everything. There is a so much to see and do that it's overwhelming! I loved the whole set up and the friendliness of everyone at the event from the fellow festival goers, our neighbours, the security, the staff - everything! The toilets were a massive surprise. The composters and portaloos were clean. The drop toilets stank and were a bit manky but just don't use them for number 2's - easy. The food was amazing - so much choice and I loved everything I got. The bars were never packed or difficult to get a drink. I can see why people see Glasto as a magical place and I will definitely be going again.

Observations -
    A ridiculous amount of people drink cider at Glastonbury
    I loved how relaxed the place was towards weed etc
    I felt a bit sorry for the tents pitched beside busy walkways, they were getting destroyed.
    If you brought enough booze, you could live on very little money at the event, probably less than 10 pound a day.

Highlights -
    Lionel Richie
    Wolf Alice
    The Waterboys
    The yorkshire pudding roast dinner from Yorky Pudding
    The people
    Coconut & Lime cider from B Bar
    The madness
    The weather
    The toilets

Lowlights -
    None, the mud wasn't even that bad

Cost -
    We had 4 people so per person - ticket was around 290 euro. Campervan worked out at 205 each. Ferry was 130 each. Campervan parking ticket was 30 each. Booze and buying equipment/essentials beforehand was around 200. Diesel was 45 each. Spending money - I brought 350 sterling, came home with 150 so 280 euro. In total - 1180ish euro and worth every penny.

Tips -
    A waterproof rug/picnic blanket is invaluable, we got our 10 euro out of ours 10 times over
    Hiking boots beat wellys
    Lunch/freezer bags are great for tickets and jacks roll, keeps them dry (we needed our tickets to pass out to the campervan site every time)

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Sheog

Great review sebcity!

I've been twice but we didn't manage to get tickets this year.... fingers crossed for 2016!!

A Neurotic wrote: »
    We must have been at different festivals! There was a little bit of mud following a few showers but overall it was absolutely grand this year. Definitely no 6" mudpools anyway.

I just woke from a 16-hour post-Glasto sleep. Highlights for me were Father John Misty, Kanye (when he was good he was unbelievable), Death Cab, and Alt-J. Great weekend.

Wasn't there this year, the mud i'm referring to was in 2014.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,449 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Nice write-up there sebcity. I think I'll go next year as a graduation gift to myself! haha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Well, went in the end. Glad I did. Weather great. One bit of rain really but that was about it. Don't know what that person was on about the mud, I thought it was grand. Only wore my wellies for one day really. Have been lucky- I only had one muddy Glasto and it certainly wasn't this one.

Highlights:
    Christy Moore: Saw Florence before so gave her a miss but apparently she played a blinder. We got fun Christy an not Evil Christy.

Waterboys played a good set.

Chet Faker: Great sound. Short set but good.

Lionel Richie: Was between the sound stages for him. Was amazing to see the almost capacity crowd behind singing heir hearts out.

Sonic on Saturday evening: Some kick-ass acts topped by Leftfield. Great show.

SINGING HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE DALAI LAMA!!!!!!!!

Avoided kanye west.

Kind-of-lowlights:
    Thought The Who phoned it in. But that may have been me as I would have preferred to have been at The Chemical Brothers but I didn't want to leave my hang on the last-night headline act.

Lionel Richie finishing with "We are the world" Always hated that song :)

Lowlight:
    Someone taking a MASSIVE crap outside my tent and making my porch stink so much I had to leave it.

Have been to Glasto 5 times and that's the first time it's happened. So to those who are on the fence about going on not depending on how much that kind of stuff happens: Don't worry. VERY rare.

Glad to see how many more of those compost toilets were there. First time I saw them was about 4 years ago. They are brilliant...... Now all we need it to let people know how to use them. The amount of people who went in and out without their cup was amazing. What did they think the big bags were for?

Now to save for next year........

Well, went in the end. Glad I did. Weather great. One bit of rain really but that was about it. Don't know what that person was on about the mud, I thought it was grand

Lowlight:
    Someone taking a MASSIVE crap outside my tent and making my porch stink so much I had to leave it

Mud! I was talking about 2014'!!!

Feel for you with the poo! Same thing happened to me at the picnic, the year massive attack played on Sunday in the wind and rain.
    Noticed the poo Sunday morning it was a bit of a laugh at first as many gathered around in awe of its sheer size and diameter.
    Continued on as normal, when we got back to the tent Sunday night the smell was horrendous, the rain must have washed poo water in! Basically had to abandon everything and sleep in the car, perfectly good tent sleeping bags, beer even some clothes.
    Not cool!

Lowlight:
    Someone taking a MASSIVE crap outside my tent and making my porch stink so much I had to leave it.

Have been to Glasto 5 times and that's the first time it's happened. So to those who are on the fence about going on not depending on how much that kind of stuff happens: Don't worry. VERY rare.

20% change of massive ambient craps, on the evidence of that sample. Enduring image! O.O

• Registered Users Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Great reading the reviews of people who went over for the weekend, would love to do it myself sometime. Is the ticket process just completely random? I know you have to register before hand and all of that, but how do 'regulars' get to go every year? What are your chances of getting a ticket if you do register? Did most people on here who went over stay in campervans or did many bring tents with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 72,286 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Mud! I was talking about 2014'!!!

Feel for you with the poo! Same thing happened to me at the picnic, the year massive attack played on Sunday in the wind and rain.
    Noticed the poo Sunday morning it was a bit of a laugh at first as many gathered around in awe of its sheer size and diameter.
    Continued on as normal, when we got back to the tent Sunday night the smell was horrendous, the rain must have washed poo water in! Basically had to abandon everything and sleep in the car, perfectly good tent sleeping bags, beer even some clothes.
    Not cool!

Sorry to hear you had No Protection from the poo water ruining your tent. At least you were Safe From Harm sleeping in your car. :cool:

*coat*

Great reading the reviews of people who went over for the weekend, would love to do it myself sometime. Is the ticket process just completely random? I know you have to register before hand and all of that, but how do 'regulars' get to go every year? What are your chances of getting a ticket if you do register? Did most people on here who went over stay in campervans or did many bring tents with them?

"Regulars" get them because they (certainly I, anyway) normally have as many people as possible/as many avenues as possible trying for tickets. If you are going to go for 6 tickets EVERYONE should be trying for them at the very least. Last time we had 8 people trying, I had my laptop going and another laptop going through my phone's hotspot while I was dialing the UK every 15 seconds. If people can't do that much then how are they going to put up with camping.

Oh, and the resale is also worth a try if you don't get them first round. I've gotten them twice through resale

You can get them alright, just takes a bit of patience and planning and luck.

As for Camping V Campervan? 99.9% camp in tents. You can rent campervans and there are a few here who have but that gets VERY expensive. Just remember to pitch your tent on a slope and get a decent sized tent (Typically a 3-man for a single person realistically) with 2 skins. Doesn't have to be hundreds of quid but a decent quality one. Resist the temptation to camp on the flat amongst the stages and you'll be grand. At least that' my (Overvalued) two cents worth.

Edit: Sorry for the tone in the first paragraph. Sounds harsh but was not meant to. Just stating best way to get tickets.

Also remember there is NO Glasto in 2017 so it will be harder to get them next year.

but1er wrote: »
    Really wanna go next year looking at the worthly view option! About 300 euro for a pre set up text, I image there is no entry to the festival with that is there?

Correct. That's JUST for the camping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

some great reviews! i can't compete so I'll just do a quick round-up!

first time going too, and thought it was such an amazing place. wish i had done it years ago!
    got great weather, and even though the sun is really hard work after a while, it was certainly preferable to the couple of hours of rain on Friday!
    already counting down the days to going back, even though my body is still in serious agony!
    my one regret is not booking a hotel yesterday, late night ferry was torture but at least I was back in my own bed I suppose and had all day to recover.

music highlights:
    Benji B/Deviation - Stonebridge Bar on Thursday - sacked off the JESuS set in Wow and went here instead, brilliant fun, everything from Joy Orbison to Skepta to old soul, place was hoping.

Jamie xx - The Park on Friday - was going to stay in West Holts after Run The Jewels for Caribou, but made a last minute change to this and glad i did, it was absolutely brilliant, and perfect time with the sun setting. had heard mixed reports from Forbidden Fruit but he played loads of his own stuff, and even a few brilliant tracks from others, including one of my favourite songs ever - Ellen Allien & Apparat - Jet

The Waterboys - Pyramid on Saturday - perfect start to the day for me, had everyone in a good mood for the day.

Burt Bacharach - Pyramid on Saturday - fantastic, hit after hit after hit. great to see a complete musical legend still going when he could have comfortably retired decades ago.

Skepta - Wow on Saturday - luckily just managed to squeeze in before they stopped letting people in, ridiculous atmosphere in there, everyone screaming every word back to him.

Kanye - Pyramid on Saturday - loved it. I was a good bit back but it was wedged the crowd was singing along to almost everything. great setlist too, played all the hits, some old classics, and then a few tracks for fans. voice was good.
    funny reading the stuff on here about it, lots of idiots thinking it was a backing CD and not realising he had Mike Dean and at least one other person up there with him doing the music and instruments. it's quite blatant when they go to restart Black Skinhead that there's guitar being played as it's slightly off for a few seconds. it seems a lot of people who were looking for something to complain about found it in the lack of dancers, "entourage", props, and basically anything other than a musician doing their music on stage.
    no-one seems to get outraged and cry about bands going out and bashing out their songs with no silly distractions, like I presume Suede did going by the comments on here.

Fleetmac Wood - Stonebridge Bar on Sunday - really good fun, had the whole place dancing for 2 hours. was exactly what I needed come Sunday evening.

Ryan Adams - The Park on Sunday - tough choice between him and Flying Lotus but took a chance on this and it was great. band was so tight and Ryan was in great form as he seems to be all the time now. nice mix of tracks. loved the extended jams so my only wish was that the slot was longer so he could do more songs.

Robert Hood - Genosys on Sunday - had heard lots of house, disco and bits and pieces throughout the weekend, but hadn't got to hear any techno, so was great to still be able to stand for this. great mix and the perfect setting. lots of people seemed to be wedging themselves into Shangri-La and some were probably just too tired given the previous 5 days, so it wasn't uncomfortably busy in Block9 and had enough room to dance compared with Four Tet the previous night. when someone let off a flare i think even Hood himself was impressed by it all!

didn't really have any lowlights. Run The Jewels were good but I was having a bit of a lull at the time and was a decent bit back so didn't really get into it as much as I thought I would.
    I thought Lionel Richie was good but I found it quite fake and insincere with all his exaggerated faces and comments. it was good cheesy fun though.

all in all a great week and absolutely loved the place. fingers crossed for tickets next year!

Advertisement