Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact announced at IFA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,801 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Does anyone else think the flashlight is really weak? It uses the flash for the camera, but still, is a lot dimmer than my old phone and my friends phone when compared.

It does take exceptionally good shots in night mode though compared to my old phone so maybe the softer flash helps, although I had flash turned off so I'm confused :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I would agree, not as great torch versus better night flash shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

• Registered Users Posts: 30,065 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Do you lose any of the Sony features by rooting? Sounds good though

Do you lose any of the Sony features by rooting? Sounds good though

No it doesn't unlock the bootloader so camera DRM etc are preserved.

You do need to go back to a slightly older FW though. However it is still possible to get back to latest FW after you've rooted.

Trying it now, wish me luck!

edit: It worked!!!

• Advertisement

Rooting steps (if you are happy after rooting on the older firmware - which I am, then you only need to go to step 19):

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=58424877

Great to hear rooting has been achieved. Do you think a cyagenmod version will be around the corner now? I wouldn't be rooting myself until I knew OTA updates were going to be available once 5.0 is released etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

quarryman wrote: »
    No it doesn't unlock the bootloader so camera DRM etc are preserved.

You do need to go back to a slightly older FW though. However it is still possible to get back to latest FW after you've rooted.

Trying it now, wish me luck!

edit: It worked!!!

I ran through this last night. I have root and CWM. I run titanium backup and it looks like it's removed the Sony apps but they are back on reboot. Bah.

I ran through this last night. I have root and CWM. I run titanium backup and it looks like it's removed the Sony apps but they are back on reboot. Bah.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=58548365&postcount=2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Anyone know when we are getting the lollipop update?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Sony announced on twitter a yesterday or Sunday that it will be sent to carriers end of Feb so likely hit you phone early march.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I'd be careful with the flashlight, using an app I used for it, cracked my back glass when I forgot to turn it off for 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,867 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I got a Wifi Z3 tablet from Sony last week. Would it likely get Android 5 pretty early?

8 and a half hours of screen time on my last charge.

Brilliant phone.

Are you rooted etc now? How's the root progress? Any sign of a Cyangenmod release with OTA updates?

cormie wrote: »
    Are you rooted etc now? How's the root progress? Any sign of a Cyangenmod release with OTA updates?

Yep rooted. Couldn't go back now really, there's so much customization I've made since I've rooted.

CM12 is moving along. I haven't installed it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

devnull wrote: »
    I'd be careful with the flashlight, using an app I used for it, cracked my back glass when I forgot to turn it off for 20 minutes.

Obviously their build quality hasn't improved then, thats mad!

Remember the self-cracking screen issues?

quarryman wrote: »
    Yep rooted. Couldn't go back now really, there's so much customization I've made since I've rooted.

CM12 is moving along. I haven't installed it yet.

Cool stuff, will probably wait until CM12 is released before I make the change to rooted if it can be updated OTA and I can leave it on my phone and never have to do another clean install again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Anyone ever had the "self crack" problem with the rear panel?

Apparently some units overhead and cause the rear glass to crack.

I took my phone out of it's cover and left it to charge while I did a bit bits around the house and came back about an hour later and picked the phone up, gave it a rub of a microfibre cloth (I'm a tad anal) before putting it back in it's case and noticed there was a 3-4cm crack running from the top of the magnetic connector to the top of the phone just to the right of the flash and another smaller one running from the bottom of that about 1am long.
    It looks like it was impact damage but it wasn't cracked before going on to charge and it hasn't been dropped or banged and it lives in a folio style case when being used.

The annoying part is I was planning on ditching the case and getting a tempered glass rear screen protector or one of the tech skin style wraps but that idea's out the window now!

Anyone ever had this resolved by warrenty? Apparently self cracking is a common enough issue with this series of phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

Anyone ever had the "self crack" problem with the rear panel?

Apparently some units overhead and cause the rear glass to crack.

I took my phone out of it's cover and left it to charge while I did a bit bits around the house and came back about an hour later and picked the phone up, gave it a rub of a microfibre cloth (I'm a tad anal) before putting it back in it's case and noticed there was a 3-4cm crack running from the top of the magnetic connector to the top of the phone just to the right of the flash and another smaller one running from the bottom of that about 1am long.
    It looks like it was impact damage but it wasn't cracked before going on to charge and it hasn't been dropped or banged and it lives in a folio style case when being used.

The annoying part is I was planning on ditching the case and getting a tempered glass rear screen protector or one of the tech skin style wraps but that idea's out the window now!

Anyone ever had this resolved by warrenty? Apparently self cracking is a common enough issue with this series of phone.

Mine self cracked. I contacted them, they said to send it in and they'll assess it. I still haven't done it as they said it would take 5-7 days to assess. They also said I couldn't drop it in in person, I would have to post it.

• Advertisement

sebcity wrote: »
    Mine self cracked. I contacted them, they said to send it in and they'll assess it. I still haven't done it as they said it would take 5-7 days to assess. They also said I couldn't drop it in in person, I would have to post it.

I might just claim it on insurance as reading online I've got mixed reviews, some people have had theirs replaced no problems and others were told they'd had to pay €120 to have it fixed or €25 to have it sent back to them unfixed, that's a bit of a balls. I can just cut the uncertainty and have ti fixed for a €50 excess by my insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭stoksyXL

From dealing with Sony Xperia repair over the last few weeks, they are the most useless shower of c**ts ever, and not helpful either.
    Had to send back the z3 compact 4 times now and they send it back with the same fault and other faults that I didn't have before.

I'll never buy any more Xperia products again.

stoksyXL wrote: »
    From dealing with Sony Xperia repair over the last few weeks, they are the most useless shower of c**ts ever, and not helpful either.
    Had to send back the z3 compact 4 times now and they send it back with the same fault and other faults that I didn't have before.

I'll never buy any more Xperia products again.

What was the fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

They should give you have new phone, Sony have policy to give a new phone if fault not fixed after three repairs !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

billbond4 wrote: »
    They should give you have new phone, Sony have policy to give a new phone if fault not fixed after three repairs !!

Even if they didn't I'd be quoting statutory rights and telling them they've exhausted the repair option and I'd like a refund or replacement now.

I'm considering paying my insurance excess, taking the replacement and either swapping it with cash for another phone or selling it and putitng the cash towards a new phone. I like the phone, especially the battery life and size, but I don't trust it to now crack again for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭stoksyXL

What was the fault?

This was the fault...
    http://www.ubergizmo.com/2014/10/users-claim-xperia-z3-camera-have-pink-hues/

First time I sent it in they changed the lens and sent it back, same problem when I got it back.
    So sent it back to them and they sent me a replacement phone, same problem with the pink hue and on top of that the one they sent back had a rattling power switch.

Sent that one back with pics taken with the phone showing the fault and telling them about the loose / rattling power button.
    Got it back a week later saying that the phone is fine, they did nothing to it.

So got onto xperia and they got me to send it back again, that was on the 13th of this month and still waiting to hear back.

Xperia are useless on the phone, really unhelpful. I'd never recommend a Sony phone to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

That sounds awful.

Can I ask some of the other Z3 owners to comment on how they'd rate the phone, having owned it for a few weeks?

I'll be upgrading during the summer and thought the Z3 would be my next new phone, but having read more and more comments online from owners, I've seriously been reconsidering. I'd appreciate advice from owners.

dRNk SAnTA wrote: »
    That sounds awful.

Can I ask some of the other Z3 owners to comment on how they'd rate the phone, having owned it for a few weeks?

I'll be upgrading during the summer and thought the Z3 would be my next new phone, but having read more and more comments online from owners, I've seriously been reconsidering. I'd appreciate advice from owners.

In the summer the z4 will be released so maybe it will be solved and they will stop using whatever material they are currently using for the rear glass?

I really love the phone but the crack ha pissed me off no end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Have the Z3C since September/October and still love it. I don't use a cover and keep it in the same pocket as my keys and there's hardly a scratch on it. Battery life is still great too.

Advertisement