Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact announced at IFA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Midfield9

My battery usage graph is showing my phone is always awake. Anyone any idea what causing this? I still had 40% battery going to bed last night.
    I uninstalled a few of the apps I downloaded recently to see if they were the problem but no change.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I've had mine in a case before I even started using it, I'd be very reluctant to even touch it without a case!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Midfield9

Beefy78 wrote: »
    This might sound stupid but does anyone have an issue with how... slidy & smooth the surfaces on the phone are? Mine throws itself off of seemingly flat tables all the time. A couple of nights a week I'll get woken up by the thump of it hitting the floor from my bedside table.

It's like a lemming.

Ya it's very slidy alright. Madness not to have a cover on it. I have a crack on the back of my phone while waiting for a cover from casemate. It slipped off the bed. Wasn't even a week old.

Anyone do a diy repair on the back glass. Watched a YouTube video and I reckon I'd manage it. Have one ordered anyway but think I'll work away as it for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

What kind of screen on time are people getting on the z3c?

I managed 7hrs 15m of screen time on my last charge. I might start using stamina mode to get more out of it.

Just wondering though, what does extended usage actually do? It says it "reduces performance" but it's not clear what that means.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭long_b

Any bricks and mortar shops stocking the charging dock at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I have mine on Stamina mode all the time. Haven't noticed any difference performance wise anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

So since those little teaks I have definitely had massively better batt life.

Today I've been using my phone since roughly 8am and my batt is still at 64% where as it would have been around 25ish before the tweaks with roughly the same usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

So since those little teaks I have definitely had massively better batt life.

Today I've been using my phone since roughly 8am and my batt is still at 64% where as it would have been around 25ish before the tweaks with roughly the same usage.

Likewise. Knocked off everything bar 4G yesterday, no major impact. Knocked off 4G today...dramatic difference. Phone had a lot more use today from 06:30, to home time at 21:20 and still had 43% left. Well impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lucstar

Hi everyone. Can somebody who bought the Z3c in CPW as ''unlocked'' in Meteor check is this working with tesco or lycamobile sim as well? I know thy are ok with o2 or three. Thanks very much.

Once they are unlocked, they are unlocked to all networks :)

A few more little annoyances I've discovered:
    • I use Dialer One as my phone app, when I get a missed call, it asks what app I want to hand it, I click dialer one and "always" but every missed call I get still asks the same thing :(
    • I'm having callers say they can't hear me until I hold the bottom of the phone right next to my mouth, I've a habit of just letting it hang in line with the shape of my ear which pushes it out from my mouth, is this the background noise cancellation kicking in?
    • When I take the phone away from my head, it doesn't light up the screen like it should and it takes me a while to hang up on somebody
    • There doesn't seem to be an option for conference calls?

• Advertisement

Thanks for help. All works fiine. My wife loves the z3 compact. She left iphone 4s. Z3C just perfect size and weight. What is annoying for me is the scren touch. Feeling of plastic wnen I tap something like empty under it. Myself I'm using galaxy s4, maybe that's why. All over nice speakers, good quality microphone, fast response on apps.
    What music player do you recommend instead of Walkman? Bit hard to manage the music.
    Also I've checked the wifi on baterry usage. Using stamina mode, but the wifi is always on, specially during the night. Is there an option to manage manually just wifi? I know I can use ultra mode but it will turn of the wifi totally.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Has anyone had any issues with this being waterproof?,i was at the beach today and decided to try out the camera underwater just to take a few photos but as soon as i came in it shutdown and has been turning on and off most of the day since, i took out the sd card and it was a little bit wet and also there is condensation under the camera lens,so much for it being 100% waterproof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Has anyone had any issues with this being waterproof?,i was at the beach today and decided to try out the camera underwater just to take a few photos but as soon as i came in it shutdown and has been turning on and off most of the day since, i took out the sd card and it was a little bit wet and also there is condensation under the camera lens,so much for it being 100% waterproof.

It's sold as waterproof so I'd imagine taking it back with a water problem would be covered under the warranty / statutory rights.

I've submerged mine a couple of times and have no problems with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

timetogo wrote: »
    It's sold as waterproof so I'd imagine taking it back with a water problem would be covered under the warranty / statutory rights.

It was the first time i used it underwater and i could see straight away that the screen wasn't right,i even had a case on it and made sure all the slots were closed maybe i just got a bad one unfortunately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

lucstar wrote: »
    What music player do you recommend instead of Walkman? Bit hard to manage the music.
    BS Player Free to play music rather than manage music (to manage music maybe upload up to 25,000 songs to Google music player and play them offline)
    [url] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bsplayer.bspandroid.free[/url]
    Also I've checked the wifi on baterry usage. Using stamina mode, but the wifi is always on, specially during the night. Is there an option to manage manually just wifi?
    Notification Toggle is great for that.
    [url] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.j4velin.notificationToggle[/url]
    I know I can use ultra mode but it will turn of the wifi totally.
    Thanks
    Did you try LeanDroid? It can turn off WiFi automatically after screen turns off, then turn on for a few seconds at regular intervals to check for any incoming messages/mails
    [url] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teqtic.leandata[/url]

Did you try LeanDroid? It can turn off WiFi automatically after screen turns off, then turn on for a few seconds at regular intervals to check for any incoming messages/mails
    [url] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teqtic.leandata[/url]

Does that actually save battery? That's exactly what Juice Defender does (was all the craze a few years back), and it was pretty much shown to make battery life worse, even though the app says how much battery it has saved you.

I don't think you'll get much better than Stamina mode for performance and functionality.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

timetogo wrote: »

Its waterproof for fresh water, not salt water! Using it in the sea will void your warranty!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

antodeco wrote: »
    Its waterproof for fresh water, not salt water! Using it in the sea will void your warranty!
    Really? Then it's surprising that they have filmed their ad under water:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6VeXf0KaLM

Yeah that's very bad if that's the case!

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Really? Then it's surprising that they have filmed their ad under water:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6VeXf0KaLM

It says at the bottom during the underwater part of the ad that it can be kept in up to 1.5m of fresh water for up to 30 minutes.

I would only really say they say fresh water because of corrosion caused by salt water. In the case of the SD card getting wet, then you'd expect that the flaps didn't seal as they should, so a totally different issue.

More info:

http://support.sonymobile.com/ie/xperiaz3/dm/water-and-dust-resistance/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

check the text @ 0.21 in the video
    can be kept under 1.5m of fresh water for up to 30 mins

I had a chat with sonymobile customer service uk and the man said there is no warranty if the phone gets wet inside unless there is phone fault. You can send under warranty but if they prove it was your fault, and I imagine they will, you have to pay for repair. Its hard to know what kind of test they do when examine, if the waterproof slots were closed properly there might be other way to get wet like headphones jack or speakers.
    Wish you will get repaired under warranty. Please let us know your case was solved.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I've managed to crack the back glas of mine, it has a weird crack with a curve in it, I don't remember dropping it but I do remember leaving the flashlight on for a while by accident, normally when I use it for any more than a few minutes it's really hot from the light.

But after leaving te flashlight on for 10 minutes it was really cool, so I suspect that it is cool because the heat is escaping due to the back, and the heat may have cracked the glass, the crack seems to be slowly widening as well which is not good.

Also the charger cover door no longer stays in position and holds in properly when pressed in, you can see it raised a little bit out of the slot a few sseconds after pushing it back in and it gradually works it's way out again.

Anyone have any recommendations for what I should do about the glass and the cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

devnull wrote: »
    Also the charger cover door no longer stays in position and holds in properly when pressed in, you can see it raised a little bit out of the slot a few sseconds after pushing it back in and it gradually works it's way out again.

This happened to me but I ended up getting the unit replaced under warranty.

I never use the charger now, use a charge dock. I really like the phone but the flaps are a nuisance.

Daith wrote: »
    This happened to me but I ended up getting the unit replaced under warranty.

I never use the charger now, use a charge dock. I really like the phone but the flaps are a nuisance.

I guess it wouldn't be waterproof without the flaps though.

I might get one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Magnector-Performance-Universal-Charging-Adapter/dp/B00H2EE5ZS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1421148858&sr=8-2&keywords=micro+usb+to+magnetic

but just not sure how it would work with a case on the phone, removing the case to charge each time would be more hassle than opening the flap.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I ahve a charge dock, but it's a nusiance toi keep taking the case off to use it, since even with the charge dock, the phone doesn't sit snuggly in the dock when wearing a case which ironically is an official sony one that the phone has been wearing the whole time.

(yes I was a mug and bought the official style window case, which is probably the lowest quality Item I've eveer bought for any phone, it costs about 45 euro and resembles a €5 knock off from China)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

What good quality cases are people using?

I'm using a rubber plastic one which is great for scratches but no protection from a fall.

Unreal phone btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I hate big cases, so I am using a casemate barely there, this one: http://www.case-mate.eu/devices/sony/xperia-z3/barely-there-case-for-sony-xperia-z3.html

I am also using a tempered glass protector front and back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Went from a HTC One M7 to the Z3c and I'm pretty disappointed tbh. The only thing it has going for it over the HTC is the battery life.

Pros:
    Unbelievable battery
    Good Camera

Cons:
    The screen is not as clear.
    The gallery is terrible - all your photos show up from every location in the phone, not just the photos you have taken.
    The Sony apps are a bit crap...and there are loads of them.
    The keyboard is small and I find myself making frequent typos.
    There is no way to get into the phone settings from the Quicksettings tab.
    Notification sounds are very low.
    Loudspeaker call volume very low.
    Only 8 gig of Internal memory.

If someone comes up with a fix for the gallery problem let me know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭billbond4

Update to the latest version of the Album app (use the Update Center App to do it), and in that there is a setting to hide pictures

Advertisement