Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact announced at IFA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,487 ✭✭✭brevity

I got the Android 5 system update alert this morning. Its about 600MB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

Go the update alert as well myself. Has anybody had the battery draining issues after installing it?

Haven't installed mine just yet, will try and get it done at some point today though. Hopefully it doesn't bring a load of issues with it, the phone has been pissing me off of late.

brevity wrote: »
    Haven't installed mine just yet, will try and get it done at some point today though. Hopefully it doesn't bring a load of issues with it, the phone has been pissing me off of late.

Oh really? What sort of issues have you been experiencing? I've not had any thankfully. Just don't like the thoughts of having to do a factory reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭statto25

All I'm getting is "Could not download" It might be hit hard at the moment with people trying to pull it down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭squrm

statto25 wrote:
    All I'm getting is "Could not download" It might be hit hard at the moment with people trying to pull it down

Getting the same, will try later

Oh really? What sort of issues have you been experiencing? I've not had any thankfully. Just don't like the thoughts of having to do a factory reset.

Its just a bit sluggish...kinda stutters when browsing. I posted above that chrome and boards' touch website. Browsing through Twitter can be temperamental as well.

I know battery savers and task killers are frowned upon but I've had to resort to using du speed booster to help me out.

Hopefully this update will sort things out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

statto25 wrote: »

Got that too this morning (I'm with Vodafone) but I've hit the download every half hour or so and it's downloading now.

timetogo wrote: »
    Got that too this morning (I'm with Vodafone) but I've hit the download every half hour or so and it's downloading now.

I'm in now too. Hope this is good!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Where do you check for updates? Is it Settings > About Phone > Software Update? Nothing new yet for me. How long does the whole process take and does it render the phone unusable during updating?

• Advertisement

So just updated and it looks pretty but the performance is very poor. Transitions between apps is awful at the moment. Will keep messing around with it anyways.

EDIT: just after I typed this it starts to improve :)

EDIT 2: Its flying!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

cormie wrote: »
    Where do you check for updates? Is it Settings > About Phone > Software Update? Nothing new yet for me. How long does the whole process take and does it render the phone unusable during updating?

Yeah and you get a notification anyway. Takes about 15-20mins and the phone is not usable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

cormie wrote: »

Takes about 15 mins to download. You can work away as normal when that's happening.

After that the actual update took about half an hour on mine. It optimises all of your apps. I've about 300.
    The phone isn't usable during the update.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks folks, will save it for the evening time so :) Update still not available anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭dublindiehard

Where do you turn 4G on in the update? There's no longer an option in the notifications area?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

There is, just click on that pencil icon, hold the 4g down and pull it out on the quick menu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Got the update myself earlier just waiting for the battery to charge to install it

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Update went through over the afternoon and having had a quick look, it is running fine. Only issue is the bluetooth smart unlocking. The SWR10 smartband doesn't work anymore, which is a major feature for me!!! Looking online there are half baked ways around it, but they are only bad workarounds. Additionally when unlocking now, you have to swipe up, then enter pin. An extra step for no reason?!

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

update installing on mine now. What differences am I going to notice?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I'm about to install this, but has anyone noticed any slowdown or battery drain?

A friend installed it earlier and says that Chrome is very laggy, so I'm weary about trying it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Just installed it now and it looks great,two minor issues for me in multi-task there is no option to close all the apps together or maybe im just not seeing it,and also the quick settings you can't add the sound options anymore.

Just installed it now and it looks great,two minor issues for me in multi-task there is no option to close all the apps together or maybe im just not seeing it,and also the quick settings you can't add the sound options anymore.

There isn't an close all anymore. You can control the volume using the vol rocker. One click will bring up the menu. Not ideal but seems to be the only way bar a widget

devnull wrote: »
    I'm about to install this, but has anyone noticed any slowdown or battery drain?

A friend installed it earlier and says that Chrome is very laggy, so I'm weary about trying it?

Chrome has been laggy for me as well but that was even before the update.

I think they changed something in Chrome recently because it's performance is shocking.

I'm slightly cautious as to whether to install this or not. I'd kind of hope that the battery drain issues that were high lighted after the lollipop update with other manufacturers have been ironed out on the Z3. You'd kinda hope thay have, given that Sony have had 6 months to work on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Excuse my ignorance-but is this update the Lollipop update?Got 2 notifications but need to charge battery before updating.

toby2111 wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance-but is this update the Lollipop update?Got 2 notifications but need to charge battery before updating.

Yup it's Android 5.0.2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Ok,thanks. I'll download it later. Are reviews of it a bit mixed though?

After an slow start, i've been very impressed with it so far. Some changes which take a bit of getting used to but definitely worth the upgrade baring in mind I've haven't noticed any battery problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Not lollipop related but is there a way to copy and paste text, I have quite a lot of notes saved as a SMS draft and I want to copy the text from them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

brevity wrote: »
    After an slow start, i've been very impressed with it so far. Some changes which take a bit of getting used to but definitely worth the upgrade baring in mind I've haven't noticed any battery problems.

I would agree, it does seem quicker if anything. The Bluetooth unlocking is my only issue, even with the car kit it didn't work right.

Advertisement