Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sony Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact announced at IFA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

timetogo wrote: »
    Edit: Actually Quickpic has one annoyance. It can't write to the SDCard since Google messed up the Android permissions so you can't delete pictures from some folders. It's a pain, but fine for giving to somebody when you just want them to see certain pictures.

Just to say that problem may soon be fixed...
    Android 5.0 Makes SD Cards Great Again, Extends API To Allow Full Directory Access, Automatic MediaStore, And Improves Security

By the time I/O came around, Google acknowledged that KitKat's newly added Storage Access Framework still didn't offer enough range for apps to get their work done. With the release of the L Developer Preview, new APIs were added to allow apps to request access to directories owned by other providers. Now that Android 5.0 Lollipop has been finalized, these APIs have been improved and even offer more capabilities than before, and they do it in a very user-friendly and secure way.
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/11/04/android-5-0-makes-sd-cards-great-again-extends-api-to-allow-full-directory-access-automatic-mediastore-and-improves-security/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

timetogo wrote: »
    I don't know about the other ones but these two are worrying. For the first give your phone to someone and get them to ring you so you can see what the other callers are talking about. I've never had somebody say they couldn't hear me.

If you can reproduce the problem with other people using your phone then I'd be thinking about taking it back to the shop.

For the second one, that doesn't happen on mine at all. I just made a call and waved my hand over the screen a few times. Screen goes blank immediately when my hand is over the sensor and lights up immediately when I take my hand away. That sounds like there's something wrong with yours.

If you take it back to the shop I'd recommend backing up & formatting first (it's a pain in the ass) but you'd have to do it anyway. It's worth formatting to rule out the software and see if the issues above go away. They probably won't but the guys in the repair will probably wipe your phone anyway so it's worthwhile you doing it in the off chance (5% probably) that it fixes those issues.

Edit: Actually Quickpic has one annoyance. It can't write to the SDCard since Google messed up the Android permissions so you can't delete pictures from some folders. It's a pain, but fine for giving to somebody when you just want them to see certain pictures.

I tried waving my hand over the screen and it doesn't really follow the movement of the screen with the blacking out :( I'll try give the phone to a friend and see how the volume is. I'm pretty sure my face isn't too abnormal :D
    billbond4 wrote: »
    Just select all when your in the folder

That still won't work I think, I imagine as soon as I get another viber/what's app image, it'll not be "hidden" as the solution above is only hiding the files, not folders they are in?

Brilliant, any idea Z3C users can expect 5.0?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Quickpic is good but its not the answer.

For instance, if I gave my phone to someone to take a picture, if they go to look at the pic they took they press the image of the pic within the camera. This brings up the Sony album, and if the start flicking through photos they would get all the shíte.

You understand what I'm saying? Its a really bad flaw in the album app imo.

I hate that every time I hand my phone to someone to look at pics, I have to do a quick scan of it first and delete some messenger app photos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭billbond4

I think maybe an older version of Album app would suit you as it only looks in the DCIM folder (if memory serves me right)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

cormie wrote: »

Brilliant, any idea Z3C users can expect 5.0?

End of Q1 apparently so most likely March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

TheChevron wrote: »
    Quickpic is good but its not the answer.

For instance, if I gave my phone to someone to take a picture, if they go to look at the pic they took they press the image of the pic within the camera. This brings up the Sony album, and if the start flicking through photos they would get all the shíte.

You understand what I'm saying? Its a really bad flaw in the album app imo.

I hate that every time I hand my phone to someone to look at pics, I have to do a quick scan of it first and delete some messenger app photos.

Just had a quick play around with mine.

If you install the Google Camera app when you take a photo with that it only shows you the photos in it's folder so there's no chance of somebody going off to other folders.
    It seems to take photos at the high resolutions too.

However I don't know how to make it the default camera app (when you press the physical button). If you press that the Sony app pops up. If you disable the Sony camera app then nothing happens when you press the button. :(

AstraMonti wrote: »
    I hate big cases, so I am using a casemate barely there, this one: http://www.case-mate.eu/devices/sony/xperia-z3/barely-there-case-for-sony-xperia-z3.html

I am also using a tempered glass protector front and back.

I'm using this one too but while it's quite low profile I doubt there will be much protection if I drop it. Which makes me wonder should I bother using it at all.

I'm tempted to get another slim case but maybe with grippier material.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

lucstar wrote: »
    Thanks for help. All works fiine. My wife loves the z3 compact. She left iphone 4s. Z3C just perfect size and weight. What is annoying for me is the scren touch. Feeling of plastic wnen I tap something like empty under it. Myself I'm using galaxy s4, maybe that's why. All over nice speakers, good quality microphone, fast response on apps.
    What music player do you recommend instead of Walkman? Bit hard to manage the music.
    Also I've checked the wifi on baterry usage. Using stamina mode, but the wifi is always on, specially during the night. Is there an option to manage manually just wifi? I know I can use ultra mode but it will turn of the wifi totally.
    Thanks

I had the WiFi issue, if you go into WiFi and advanced settings on the bottom right you can turn off "always scanning", I also turned off location based wifi and the sleep problem was fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Three replaced my z3 with a new one tonight for me, mine just died last week very annoying.

OK stupid question time, can putting music on sd card crash phone? The charging cable I got with my phone won't charge for some reason so using a ps4 cable, works perfectly but can this do any harm to phone?

Reason I ask, I done the above plus installed an app or two for syncing iTunes to Android the day it died and now I'm paranoid any of the above is the cause haha

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lucstar

1.Three replaced my z3 with a new one.
    2.OK stupid question time, can putting music on sd card crash phone?
    3.The charging cable I got with my phone won't charge for some reason so using a ps4 cable, works perfectly but can this do any harm to phone?

1. If three replaced your z3 with new one and still something goes wrong, I would simply claim it again under warranty.
    2. What memory card you are using? Speed class. Maybe is to slow
    3. Is it the cable only or the charger. Maybe try a different socket in your home. The same thing (warranty)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Another few issues someone might be able to help me with.

If I select a program to open something and click always, the next time it still asks me again.

I have auto brightness clicked, but it does nothing. I was lying in the bad last night, pitch black and the brightness was up fairly high, even with the auto brightness clicked.

Any ideas?

I'm having so many issues with this phone. If the battery wasn't gone to crap on my HTC One I would take it back in a heartbeat, even though the phone is 2 years older.

Another few issues someone might be able to help me with.

If I select a program to open something and click always, the next time it still asks me again.

This is really annoying me too, I use "Dialer one" app instead of the stock phone app and every missed call or other phone operation I open it asks me what app to use :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

lucstar wrote: »
    1. If three replaced your z3 with new one and still something goes wrong, I would simply claim it again under warranty.
    2. What memory card you are using? Speed class. Maybe is to slow
    3. Is it the cable only or the charger. Maybe try a different socket in your home. The same thing (warranty)

Thanks for the reply.

I am not sure on the memory card, it isn't a top of the range name on it, simply says sd card lol. It works fine just the day my phone died I had three hours before it put 40gbs of music on it using isyncr and it worked great. Just a bit paranoid!

Regarding the charger, it charged last night using the cable it came with, what I was doing was using the cable from my ps4 that charges the controller with the charger provided, again just worried in case a different cable affected the device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

devnull wrote: »
    I've managed to crack the back glas of mine, it has a weird crack with a curve in it, I don't remember dropping it but I do remember leaving the flashlight on for a while by accident, normally when I use it for any more than a few minutes it's really hot from the light.

But after leaving te flashlight on for 10 minutes it was really cool, so I suspect that it is cool because the heat is escaping due to the back, and the heat may have cracked the glass, the crack seems to be slowly widening as well which is not good.

Also the charger cover door no longer stays in position and holds in properly when pressed in, you can see it raised a little bit out of the slot a few sseconds after pushing it back in and it gradually works it's way out again.

Anyone have any recommendations for what I should do about the glass and the cover?

I also cracked the back glass on my Z3. It happened in my pocket, should have really seen it coming as the phone was warped to the extent it was rocking on a flat surface. I have been on to Sony, they are saying I need to send it off to be inspected by an engineer and will take 5-7 days to be examined. UGH.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Told me the same thing, but they also said if they deem that it is our of warranty they will repair it and send the bill before they send the phone back.

They will give me no idea of how much it will cost, so I'm a bit apprehensive about doing it, them reparing it and charging me a huge sum that I have no choice but to pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Does it happen with all apps or just some. This can sometimes be the app developer's fault.
    I have auto brightness clicked, but it does nothing. I was lying in the bad last night, pitch black and the brightness was up fairly high, even with the auto brightness clicked. Any ideas?
    Have you tried a screen filter? I won't use a phone at night without one
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.haxor
    It makes the screen darker but after a while you will feel the relief in your eyes.
    This is really annoying me too, I use "Dialer one" app instead of the stock phone app and every missed call or other phone operation I open it asks me what app to use :mad:
    Okay, I've tried this on Moto X, same problem, so its a problem with the App developer, who unfortunately has stopped updating this app.
    This is its successor...
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.doublegis.dialer
    Pity, I prefer Dialer One myself :(

Okay, I've tried this on Moto X, same problem, so its a problem with the App developer, who unfortunately has stopped updating this app.
    This is its successor...
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.doublegis.dialer
    Pity, I prefer Dialer One myself :(

Did you use Dialer One much? I really like it, particularly the T9 search, I see the gis one has the feature too and a number look up thing too, but Dialer one had a lot of customisation features and just did everything I needed. I'm always afraid to try new apps and fear they'll be more fancy icons and animations than functionality..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 639 ✭✭✭funnyclub

Just got the Z3 Compact myself. I've gone from a LG G3 to it and the main reason was size. I'm a cyclist and my last few phones were just too big to carry on me. I had the one plus one and then went to the LG G3. The other thing I like is the fact it water and dust proof. Handy when in your pocket of your jersey when cycling as the sweat can get on your phone.

I'm just getting used to it at the moment but I like it so far. I have been a little worried hearing about glass cracking etc.

With regards accessories I ordered a cheap tpu case which is doing the job. I have a screen protector on also. I ordered another case and a tempered glass protector which I'm waiting on. I also ordered carbon fibre effect skin for the back and a magnetic charger cable.

Hopefully I will be issue free.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lucstar

funnyclub wrote: »
    Just got the Z3 Compact myself. I've gone from a LG G3 to it and the main reason was size. I'm a cyclist and my last few phones were just too big to carry on me. I had the one plus one and then went to the LG G3. The other thing I like is the fact it water and dust proof. Handy when in your pocket of your jersey when cycling as the sweat can get on your phone.

I'm just getting used to it at the moment but I like it so far. I have been a little worried hearing about glass cracking etc.

With regards accessories I ordered a cheap tpu case which is doing the job. I have a screen protector on also. I ordered another case and a tempered glass protector which I'm waiting on. I also ordered carbon fibre effect skin for the back and a magnetic charger cable.

Hopefully I will be issue free.

It's unbelievable how much extra money we have to spend to keep the handsets safe.
    1. Screen protector or tempered glass
    2. Back protector
    3. Silicon or hard case cover
    4. Magnetic cable
    5. Insurance
    6. Yiu can also get some apps you have to pay for
    this is exactly what I have ordered for my wife's sony z3c...
    The thing is, we usually order it for most our phones, unless there is metal back and usb charging port only ;)
    However.. this is the idea to make everyone happy :)
    Hope all the gadgets we bought let us use the phone's long enough without any cracks. Enjoy your z3c

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I have a z3c over a week now and am really impressed. Regarding the screen brightness reduction, I used lux lite dash and it works really well once you spend some time setting preferences. It is very quick to adapt to changes in light.

Regarding cases, I've ordered the €4 ebay case that was referenced on the other thread. It's the silicone one with what looks like a stretched s on the back. Anyhow, someone said that they found the covered buttons hard to press, but I had the same issue with the same case when I had for my s3. To get around it, I just cut the gaps for the buttons with a Stanley knife and it worked fine. The case saved me many times when I had it for the s3, so hoping the same this time around.

Does anyone else think the flashlight is really weak? It uses the flash for the camera, but still, is a lot dimmer than my old phone and my friends phone when compared.

It does take exceptionally good shots in night mode though compared to my old phone so maybe the softer flash helps, although I had flash turned off so I'm confused :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I would agree, not as great torch versus better night flash shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,385 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Do you lose any of the Sony features by rooting? Sounds good though

Do you lose any of the Sony features by rooting? Sounds good though

No it doesn't unlock the bootloader so camera DRM etc are preserved.

You do need to go back to a slightly older FW though. However it is still possible to get back to latest FW after you've rooted.

Trying it now, wish me luck!

edit: It worked!!!

• Advertisement

Rooting steps (if you are happy after rooting on the older firmware - which I am, then you only need to go to step 19):

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=58424877

Great to hear rooting has been achieved. Do you think a cyagenmod version will be around the corner now? I wouldn't be rooting myself until I knew OTA updates were going to be available once 5.0 is released etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

quarryman wrote: »
    No it doesn't unlock the bootloader so camera DRM etc are preserved.

You do need to go back to a slightly older FW though. However it is still possible to get back to latest FW after you've rooted.

Trying it now, wish me luck!

edit: It worked!!!

I ran through this last night. I have root and CWM. I run titanium backup and it looks like it's removed the Sony apps but they are back on reboot. Bah.

I ran through this last night. I have root and CWM. I run titanium backup and it looks like it's removed the Sony apps but they are back on reboot. Bah.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=58548365&postcount=2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Anyone know when we are getting the lollipop update?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Sony announced on twitter a yesterday or Sunday that it will be sent to carriers end of Feb so likely hit you phone early march.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I'd be careful with the flashlight, using an app I used for it, cracked my back glass when I forgot to turn it off for 20 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,250 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I got a Wifi Z3 tablet from Sony last week. Would it likely get Android 5 pretty early?

8 and a half hours of screen time on my last charge.

Brilliant phone.

Are you rooted etc now? How's the root progress? Any sign of a Cyangenmod release with OTA updates?

Are you rooted etc now? How's the root progress? Any sign of a Cyangenmod release with OTA updates?

Yep rooted. Couldn't go back now really, there's so much customization I've made since I've rooted.

CM12 is moving along. I haven't installed it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

devnull wrote: »
    I'd be careful with the flashlight, using an app I used for it, cracked my back glass when I forgot to turn it off for 20 minutes.

Obviously their build quality hasn't improved then, thats mad!

Remember the self-cracking screen issues?

quarryman wrote: »
    Yep rooted. Couldn't go back now really, there's so much customization I've made since I've rooted.

CM12 is moving along. I haven't installed it yet.

Cool stuff, will probably wait until CM12 is released before I make the change to rooted if it can be updated OTA and I can leave it on my phone and never have to do another clean install again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Anyone ever had the "self crack" problem with the rear panel?

Apparently some units overhead and cause the rear glass to crack.

I took my phone out of it's cover and left it to charge while I did a bit bits around the house and came back about an hour later and picked the phone up, gave it a rub of a microfibre cloth (I'm a tad anal) before putting it back in it's case and noticed there was a 3-4cm crack running from the top of the magnetic connector to the top of the phone just to the right of the flash and another smaller one running from the bottom of that about 1am long.
    It looks like it was impact damage but it wasn't cracked before going on to charge and it hasn't been dropped or banged and it lives in a folio style case when being used.

The annoying part is I was planning on ditching the case and getting a tempered glass rear screen protector or one of the tech skin style wraps but that idea's out the window now!

Anyone ever had this resolved by warrenty? Apparently self cracking is a common enough issue with this series of phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

Anyone ever had the "self crack" problem with the rear panel?

Apparently some units overhead and cause the rear glass to crack.

I took my phone out of it's cover and left it to charge while I did a bit bits around the house and came back about an hour later and picked the phone up, gave it a rub of a microfibre cloth (I'm a tad anal) before putting it back in it's case and noticed there was a 3-4cm crack running from the top of the magnetic connector to the top of the phone just to the right of the flash and another smaller one running from the bottom of that about 1am long.
    It looks like it was impact damage but it wasn't cracked before going on to charge and it hasn't been dropped or banged and it lives in a folio style case when being used.

The annoying part is I was planning on ditching the case and getting a tempered glass rear screen protector or one of the tech skin style wraps but that idea's out the window now!

Anyone ever had this resolved by warrenty? Apparently self cracking is a common enough issue with this series of phone.

Mine self cracked. I contacted them, they said to send it in and they'll assess it. I still haven't done it as they said it would take 5-7 days to assess. They also said I couldn't drop it in in person, I would have to post it.

• Advertisement

sebcity wrote: »
    Mine self cracked. I contacted them, they said to send it in and they'll assess it. I still haven't done it as they said it would take 5-7 days to assess. They also said I couldn't drop it in in person, I would have to post it.

I might just claim it on insurance as reading online I've got mixed reviews, some people have had theirs replaced no problems and others were told they'd had to pay €120 to have it fixed or €25 to have it sent back to them unfixed, that's a bit of a balls. I can just cut the uncertainty and have ti fixed for a €50 excess by my insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭stoksyXL

From dealing with Sony Xperia repair over the last few weeks, they are the most useless shower of c**ts ever, and not helpful either.
    Had to send back the z3 compact 4 times now and they send it back with the same fault and other faults that I didn't have before.

I'll never buy any more Xperia products again.

stoksyXL wrote: »
    From dealing with Sony Xperia repair over the last few weeks, they are the most useless shower of c**ts ever, and not helpful either.
    Had to send back the z3 compact 4 times now and they send it back with the same fault and other faults that I didn't have before.

I'll never buy any more Xperia products again.

What was the fault?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭billbond4

They should give you have new phone, Sony have policy to give a new phone if fault not fixed after three repairs !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

billbond4 wrote: »
    They should give you have new phone, Sony have policy to give a new phone if fault not fixed after three repairs !!

Even if they didn't I'd be quoting statutory rights and telling them they've exhausted the repair option and I'd like a refund or replacement now.

I'm considering paying my insurance excess, taking the replacement and either swapping it with cash for another phone or selling it and putitng the cash towards a new phone. I like the phone, especially the battery life and size, but I don't trust it to now crack again for no reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭stoksyXL

What was the fault?

This was the fault...
    http://www.ubergizmo.com/2014/10/users-claim-xperia-z3-camera-have-pink-hues/

First time I sent it in they changed the lens and sent it back, same problem when I got it back.
    So sent it back to them and they sent me a replacement phone, same problem with the pink hue and on top of that the one they sent back had a rattling power switch.

Sent that one back with pics taken with the phone showing the fault and telling them about the loose / rattling power button.
    Got it back a week later saying that the phone is fine, they did nothing to it.

So got onto xperia and they got me to send it back again, that was on the 13th of this month and still waiting to hear back.

Xperia are useless on the phone, really unhelpful. I'd never recommend a Sony phone to anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

That sounds awful.

Can I ask some of the other Z3 owners to comment on how they'd rate the phone, having owned it for a few weeks?

I'll be upgrading during the summer and thought the Z3 would be my next new phone, but having read more and more comments online from owners, I've seriously been reconsidering. I'd appreciate advice from owners.

dRNk SAnTA wrote: »
    That sounds awful.

Can I ask some of the other Z3 owners to comment on how they'd rate the phone, having owned it for a few weeks?

I'll be upgrading during the summer and thought the Z3 would be my next new phone, but having read more and more comments online from owners, I've seriously been reconsidering. I'd appreciate advice from owners.

In the summer the z4 will be released so maybe it will be solved and they will stop using whatever material they are currently using for the rear glass?

I really love the phone but the crack ha pissed me off no end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,644 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Have the Z3C since September/October and still love it. I don't use a cover and keep it in the same pocket as my keys and there's hardly a scratch on it. Battery life is still great too.

Advertisement