Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due May 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sligocork

I'm 20 weeks pregnant. I m going private most of my appointments are in the evening which don't affect work. I had a hospital appoint today during the day , my boss asked for a sick cert for the evening, my sister told me to ring my gp to get a sick cert from him. When I went to collect it today the secretary said it cost €10 I m registered with that dr, I thought pregnancy related stuff was free. The midwife in the hospital was shocked and said he shouldn't charge me anything. I know it's only a€10 but we are really stretching it at the moment, only going private because of health issues. The secretary told me if I was on social welfare it wouldn't cost me anything, but they would never need a sick cert for a day off work as I told her. Both my sisters who went private never had to pay for a sick cert. I'm just wondering does anyone know my rights on this.
    Thanks

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Your boss asked for a sick cert for a hospital appointment? Nearly sure that's illegal?

As for the scans a 20 week scan is supposed to be standard across the HSE but in recent years some hospitals have cut it as a cost saving measure. Public care across the HSE is supposed to be the same, I don't understand how the issue hasn't been highlighted more. It really is lucky of the draw with Irish hospitals.

As for buggies my sister had the beep twist system, she used it for her eldest, than I used it for mine then she used it for her second. It was brilliant, no problems with it at all, and no issues with its sturdiness at all. I went out walking everyday when I had it and had no bothers.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭WittyName1

Ginny wrote: »
    As for buggies my sister had the beep twist system, she used it for her eldest, than I used it for mine then she used it for her second. It was brilliant, no problems with it at all, and no issues with its sturdiness at all. I went out walking everyday when I had it and had no bothers.

I'm relieved to hear that! I guess everyone is different though so what's good for one might not be good for another.
    I'm hoping the beep twist works for us. We loved it when we tried it out in the shop. I loved it even more when I saw the price :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Around this time every night when I should be winding down before bed I start to freak out about money, current, and very long ranging, how will we afford college, what'll we do for pensions, etc etc. It's very tiring and distressing tbh :( While we have no debt (except a small-ish mortgage) and have some savings it's the massive long term money required to raise child/children that is freaking me the feck out. I get through each day with a mix of denial and "everything will be ok" about this whole pregnancy thing, but every night then it hits me how terrified I am of the whole thing.

You will manage, its scary as hell but the only major output long term at the moment would be childcare. If you can sort that by.the time they go to s c hool etc. youll have adapted. Our little boy is 2 and really it's just child care we notice. Although I'm a lot more worried about having number 2. Basically ill be working to pay the childcare :(

• Advertisement

Ginny wrote: »
    You will manage, its scary as hell but the only major output long term at the moment would be childcare. If you can sort that by.the time they go to s c hool etc. youll have adapted. Our little boy is 2 and really it's just child care we notice. Although I'm a lot more worried about having number 2. Basically ill be working to pay the childcare :(

Thanks Ginny. We actually won't have to use childcare, so we should be kind of ok I guess? It must be so tough knowing that you're working hard just to cover that cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Hi spottybananas, you asked me about slings the other day but I can't remember what thread it was in. Had a big reply typed out and the computer ate it :(
    There are so many different options that it's baffling. Different ones suit different people. If you can't get to a meet then I would try a consult. If you have a bad back then some will suit you more than others. I put no research in initially and panic bought a bjorn when I was dealing with my daughters reflux. It got us out of a hole but wouldn't be best for positioning and when the baby gets any bit heavier it's hard on your back. I love the look of stretchy wraps but found them too fiddly with a newborn and didn't have the confidence for a ringsling when she was wee but found the ringsling great for quick in and outs when she got bigger. Then when she got bigger again I found it hard to get comfortable with my neck and shoulders. I find soft structured carriers like the ergo i use are great. There are so many different types of ergonomic carriers though. It's baffling. My friend lent me her Beco Gemini for a while before I got the ergo but I didn't love it. She then found the Ergo swamped her, she is tiny!!! So what I'm saying I suppose, is try before you buy!!! There was a babywearing thread on here somewhere before and there's a decent facebook page too called Babywearing Ireland. Sling addicts- support and advice.

As for the worries, I think we all have these to some extent or another. Like Ginny I'm now worried about the jump from one to two. Between the worrying and all the delightful physical changes and discomforts pregnancy really is a magical time :D

Thanks Roesy, I'm going to start looking into it soon while I still have pretty much no bump and could try them out "properly" rather than later when it's in the way! I feel like at least if I can start buying the few bits we can't borrow now I'll feel better when we're not spending much at all in April/May. The only things we can't really borrow are the buggy and slings, I just really can't decide whether I'd be happy to go with the cheaper buggy because I like bargains or if I want to spend more and definitely feel the better quality in that buggy. The other question then is whether to borrow a car seat that one of my relatives has just finished using but will want back, or buy one and not have to worry about it getting any scratches or damage...

Sitting here for the last few minutes watching my stomach ripple and bump around the place, so weird! My husband is giving it a talking to for doing it while I'm trying to concentrate on work :p

I'd highly recommend a sling too, you can hire from the babywearing library, or get a consultation from them too. I have an Madame GooGoo buckle carrier https://www.facebook.com/pages/Madame-Googoo-baby-carriers/145687608816099?fref=ts
    I have some woven wraps and a wrap conversion Mei Tai. I'm so looking forward to carrying this munchkin, it will be so much handier with a toddler about.

Oh and I have a ring sling I forgot about too!

I've found a sling meetup about an hour away from me so I might try that when they are having their next one.

Oh my God those Madame GooGoo fabrics are beautiful!!

• Advertisement

Felt hiccups today, so weird!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I honestly thought I was going to wet myself in work today - needed to go but was too busy for a few minutes when baby decided that was the perfect time to dance on my bladder! Panic stations!

When I get pressure in my bladder it's horrible, its like having a uti, I know I don't really need to go or not much, but even walking is tough when it happens!

Awake since 4.30, up since 6. Depressing! My back/ribs are so sore, only lying down flat in bed helps. Killed with heartburn too. If I lie in bed every noise and even my husband's breathing annoy me and I can't sleep, so I'm up watching crappy tv now...

When I get pressure in my bladder it's horrible, its like having a uti, I know I don't really need to go or not much, but even walking is tough when it happens!

Awake since 4.30, up since 6. Depressing! My back/ribs are so sore, only lying down flat in bed helps. Killed with heartburn too. If I lie in bed every noise and even my husband's breathing annoy me and I can't sleep, so I'm up watching crappy tv now...

I hope that passes for you soon - there is really nothing worse than not being able to sleep. Any sign of a bump yet?

I hope that passes for you soon - there is really nothing worse than not being able to sleep. Any sign of a bump yet?

I've had two cat naps on the couch with lovely husband bringing me food and tea :)

The smallest bit of roundness in my lower stomach, to me I look huge and pudgy, my best friend and hubby say I look like I just ate too much over Christmas! Do others have proper bumps now? Last night I was wishing for one, to take some pressure off my lungs, ribs, digestive system!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Herself has a proper noticeable bump for a while now. We are not due until near the end of May though, all the measurements they took during the scan were right in the middle of the range they were looking for at 20 weeks though. She's not felt and wiggling as yet either though.

robinph wrote: »
    Herself has a proper noticeable bump for a while now. We are not due until near the end of May though, all the measurements they took during the scan were right in the middle of the range they were looking for at 20 weeks though. She's not felt and wiggling as yet either though.

Thats mad robin, I'm due at the very start of May but am basically the opposite, no bump, constant movement. I started feeling movement about 6 weeks ago and for the last 2-3 weeks its non stop!

I do have a bump but not a very large one! If I wear a dress it's more pronounced so have been wearing them non stop lol. It's interesting though I'm in a FB group and the variation in bump sizes is crazy and we're all due within a few weeks of each other

I just look fat if I wear anything nice, lots of loose cardigans and hoodies being worn. I dont mind not looking pregnant (the less attention drawn to me the better) but I really dislike looking like Ive packed on pounds because I worked hard to lose an excess stone and a half two years ago and was enjoying my lovely fitted clothes!

Although I have absolutely no excess weight anywhere other than my stomach so hopefully itwill become obvious soon that its not Christmas overeating!!

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

I've been in maternity jeans and leggings the last month or more. My bump and boobs seemed to get big really fast or maybe because I was a size 8 before getting pregnant it was just more noticeable.
    Same as you Spotty, ive had lots of movement the last few weeks, I think my little guy has river dance training every morning around 6.30 and every evening at 8.30, you could nearly set your clock by him at this stage

• Advertisement

Yeah Im in maternity jeans for the last month because my own jeans, jeggings and leggings are all so tight on the waist/elastic I couldn't stand it. Yep last night my husband was trying to feel it move and I said nah it won't do anything now, hang on and I'll get it to move. I lay on my side and bingo, straight away it moved :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 siobhan2005

Hi there, only joining in now due to being sick as a dog for the past 4 months but it seems to be finally easing to the point where its managable, hope everyone is doing well!

Ive got my big scan next week, going private in kilkenny. Cant wait but am pretty nervous too. Im due May 30th but am 99% sure Ill be taken in for a cesarean section 2 weeks earlier because I had an emergency section on my last and Ive type 1 diabetes, so Im expecting my little arrival sometime in mid May.

Ill have my eldests confirmation at the beginning of may so going by the last time Ill be like a whale by then god help me trying to find something to wear!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Hi all, we have a quiet month on boards :) just wondering have any of you been for your first hospital appointment after your booking appointment yet? I am in next week and dp is coming I was just wondering do they let you hear the heartbeat as we havent yet - even though were not being scanned? Do they take bloods again, check urine etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Hi all, we have a quiet month on boards :) just wondering have any of you been for your first hospital appointment after your booking appointment yet? I am in next week and dp is coming I was just wondering do they let you hear the heartbeat as we havent yet - even though were not being scanned? Do they take bloods again, check urine etc?

I think it might depend which hospital and what plan you are on. My appointment after the booking appointment was with my semi private cons. She did a quick scan no heartbeat though. Only heard the heartbeat from the angelsounds Doppler we bought on eBay. And then the next appointment with my GP we heard the heartbeat.
    Ask at your next appointment or mention you haven't heard the heartbeat yet.

I've had a 16 week appt and have 26 week next week, have been to the gp once also at 20 weeks, I was also in for observation at 20 weeks. I've heard the heartbeat on a doppler at the gp and when I was in for the few hours at 20 weeks, I only saw it on the screen at the 16 week one (also at 8 & 20 week private scans) but tbh it never occurred to me that that's any different to hearing it, it's only when I read people online specifying when they heard it vs saw it that I realised people considered hearing it to be a bigger deal! They'll definitely have a doppler to hand so ask to hear it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

We heard on the doppler a few weeks ago with a GP, but they made a point of saying they usually can't find it before even starting to use it. Was cool to hear at that point, but equally cool to see on the sonar and seeing all four chambers when they zoomed in on it to check the blood flow to everywhere. Think I was adding my own heartbeat sound effects (in my own head only) when seeing it on the screen so didn't actually notice the lack of sound. :D

robinph wrote: »
    Think I was adding my own heartbeat sound effects (in my own head only) when seeing it on the screen so didn't actually notice the lack of sound. :D

I think I did the same! :P That's why I wouldn't buy a doppler because I'd freak out if I couldn't find it which there's a high chance of.

I had a 20 week appointment with my GP and he used the doppler on me. I also had my anomaly scan this week and there maybe an issue with babys kidneys, so I have to go back again at 28 weeks. I actually can't recall if we heard the heartbeat we were a bit preoccupied with the kidneys. I have a 24 week and BP appointment next week, then I have to do the GTT. So I'll be in and out of hospital from now on I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Thanks all for the replies I think I'd freak myself out with a Doppler :) it's crazy how quick the weeks are flying by isn't it!

• Advertisement

Had another scan this evening, baby wasn't being the most cooperative though! Measuring well at 1lb 14oz and we obviously woke him/her up as they spent their time yawning

Advertisement