Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due May 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ro2015

Delighted I found somewhere to talk with other people due in the same month! Hormones are in full swing and I think my boyfriend is a little overwhelmed! 😠it'll be good to have somewhere to talk with other women in the same situation!

Also, does anyone else have any pregnancy apps? I downloaded the bump when I first found out I was pregnant! In general it's fairly helpful but I was hugely disappointed with the community option on it! Has anyone else experienced this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

I use Ovia which is great but I don't use any chat options on apps, I used Period Tracker but found it too full of Americans and overly stressed women!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Spotty I would totally be the same! Nobody has tried with me yet except for my husband which I have no issue with

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ro2015

I use Ovia which is great but I don't use any chat options on apps, I used Period Tracker but found it too full of Americans and overly stressed women!

Yeah I agree, mostly Americans on them! I don't know if I was misunderstanding them but they were making so many snide remarks I backed off! I just downloaded Ovia now, it's looks really good!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I hate the belly touching, don't think anyone has tried it this time, I have in the past said, that's not the baby, now you're just patting my fat stomach. People tend to back off then.

• Advertisement

I can see it moving :O

The year hasn't gotten off the greatest start for me. I'm still quite upset about the touching incident, I don't see why people can't appreciate how awkward and odd it is to suddenly have people want to touch part of your body, and I'm upset that I was the one being b!tched about because of it, when I'm the one that was touched inappropriately (to me anyway) and suddenly! I can't really believe I'm not allowed to be upset about it, I don't have a bump, they are just wanting to touch my normal stomach, it's so weird. And the ironic thing is I have no problem in the world with people feeling kicks etc if they ask first or if I invite them to, but don't just rub my relatively flat stomach as a way of greeting :(

I also am feeling quite self conscious about how I look at the moment because I just look like I ate too much over Christmas, the last thing I want is people touching and drawing attention to the bit of me making me feel like that! I think January may be a month of hoodies, I usually don't even wear them outside the house but I won't look remotely pregnant in them so might buy me space and time. Short of folding my arms or putting my hands in my pockets over my stomach I don't know what else to do to ward off the unwanted gropes! I think I'll just grab somebody's belly fat/boob/ass next time and see how they like it.

Work has been crazy over Christmas, my back hurts, and I'm missing the lovely sunny/frosty days because I'm stuck in work until it's dark. I cannot wait for this weekend to relax, go for a walk and not see anyone!

Sorry for the rant, need to vent :o

I would imagine that the person who has made you feel this way has no idea they've done that and it was probably the last thing they wanted. I fully agree nobody should invade your personal space and would want to punch someone who did it to me, but rather than let it continue to upset me I would try and put it aside, knowing they were most likely coming from a good place of being excited and happy, but it was just the wrong way to do it. If wearing hoodies makes you more comfortable then definitely do it - do whatever you need to do to feel more comfortable in your skin. It is a big adjustment for our bodies and can take a lot of getting used to

While it was not what the person intended to do this is not the first time I've expressed my feelings on this, so for the last 12 or so weeks this person has known I don't like it and yet continues to do it/try to do it. I politely but firmly said a version of "please don't do that" and they joked back about it, then a few minutes later they basically went off in a sulk and somebody else who they had clearly said it to came and asked my husband what's wrong with me that I don't want them doing it, like I'm some sort of freak for not wanting my belly rubbed like a puppy! This is a grown adult doing this, and getting in a huff with me over it, and I am just so annoyed that there were at least 2 of them if not more discussing what's "wrong" with me and then asking my husband behind my back (literally actually) as if I'm not even a real competent person.

It's just I really thought I had made it clear I don't like it and that everyone would accept that, but instead it seems they are going to ignore what I said, continue doing what they want (I don't even understand wanting to touch somebody else like that, someone you're not even particularly close to, without even asking) and that I'm going to be cast as the mean b!tch for not being happy about it for the next 20 or so weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭WittyName1

People have different opinions on whether they mind people touching the bump or not. The person who did it to you has probably never been called up on it before so never really realised people might not like it.
    I didn't even realise this was a thing that was done until a couple of days ago when someone I hadn't seen in ages greeted me and put a hand out and placed it on my stomach. I was a bit taken aback as I wasn't expecting it, but I know it was meant in a good way. It was his way of acknowledging the pregnancy and congratulating me. Although I was surprised it didn't really bother me. It was over in a split second and nobody in the group thought about it for a second longer.

In what way did you mention you didn't like it? Perhaps your reaction may have escalated things if it was said in an angry or hostile way?
    At least the person will know better next time though!

• Advertisement

WittyName1 wrote: »
    In what way did you mention you didn't like it? Perhaps your reaction may have escalated things if it was said in an angry or hostile way?
    At least the person will know better next time though!

I didn't say anything in an angry or hostile tone, for about the third time in 3 months I replied to this same person with the same attitude, polite, smiling but trying to firmly say "there is nothing there to touch/please don't", I don't know how many more times I should have to repeat this before they get the hint. I find it bizarre and NEVER touch anybody's pregnant stomach without asking, and then it's only close family and friends and usually only if they say the baby is moving and do I want to feel it. Clearly this person won't know better next time because as far as they are concerned I'm the one that has something "wrong" with me for not wanting it. I'm just baffled by it tbh, more so by the fact that I know I was a topic of discussion for not being comfortable with it.

Ye can just ignore my whinging now! I just needed to get it out and don't really have anyone to talk to today.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I didn't say anything in an angry or hostile tone, for about the third time in 3 months I replied to this same person with the same attitude, polite, smiling but trying to firmly say "there is nothing there to touch/please don't", I don't know how many more times I should have to repeat this before they get the hint. I find it bizarre and NEVER touch anybody's pregnant stomach without asking, and then it's only close family and friends and usually only if they say the baby is moving and do I want to feel it. Clearly this person won't know better next time because as far as they are concerned I'm the one that has something "wrong" with me for not wanting it. I'm just baffled by it tbh, more so by the fact that I know I was a topic of discussion for not being comfortable with it.

Ye can just ignore my whinging now! I just needed to get it out and don't really have anyone to talk to today.

Tbh you need to just get over it now and stop stressing about it.

I was looking up stuff about maternity benefit to see when to apply etc and realised I would be eligible to take maternity leave from this Friday! Obviously I don't intend to and wouldn't have given any notice etc but it's just made it all seem more real, it's really not that far away!

Thanks anna but my post was 4 days ago so I am over it, being upset the day after it was fair enough imo.

Angeldelight yeah I'm in the middle of sorting my maternity benefit and leave, tricky doing it when self employed, I have a very small window of time between the doc filling in the form and me needing to submit it!

I noticed that it seems a bit of a pain if you're self employed alright. My situation is a bit messy too as I'm a locum so not self-employed but can have up to 10 employers active in a year at a time! Have to try and keep the numbers low until I go on maternity leave but that means potentially turning down work

Turning down work for when I'll be on leave is tough, especially as I don't say why because I'm really private and dont want loads of strangers knowing needlessly. If I can just get it all sorted now with SW soon I'll be happy, but nothing is ever straightforward with them!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just had our 20 week scan this morning. All sorts of measurements taken to check a multitude of things, and they all came back being OK. Lots of waving arms and legs and very clear view of the heart pumping away. It's great to see on the screen, but we are only half way through still so ages to go yet. :D

robinph wrote: »
    Just had our 20 week scan this morning. All sorts of measurements taken to check a multitude of things, and they all came back being OK. Lots of waving arms and legs and very clear view of the heart pumping away. It's great to see on the screen, but we are only half way through still so ages to go yet. :D

That's great news, it's very reassuring how thorough they are!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

That's great news, it's very reassuring how thorough they are!

So annoyed this wasnt offered in OLOL hospital :( I've not seen a doctor or hospital since my scan at 14 weeks. Just seems crazy to me that its standard in some hospitals and not in others:(

So annoyed this wasnt offered in OLOL hospital :( I've not seen a doctor or hospital since my scan at 14 weeks. Just seems crazy to me that its standard in some hospitals and not in others:(

Book aprivate one, we did as its not offered in out hospital.

Robin I found the last 4 weeks flew since our 20 week scan, that might be because of Christmas though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

Have just been pram window shopping, wow cant get over the price of some of them to be honest.
    I want a carrycot travel system style, Has anyone any experience of the baby elegance beep twist? It's the only one I've seen today that seems to meet what I want. Other suggestions more than welcome ðŸ˜႒

We were considering that one, but tbh I read a lot of bad reviews for it. I was told by someone who works selling buggies that it's a fine buggy for its price range, with buggies the quality goes up quite a bit with the jump from €300-400 to €600-700, and I'd agree really from dealing with friends buggies and testing many myself. I'd just say test it yourself and decide, fold it up, fit it in the boot, try all the bits and tricks to see how you find it it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Have just been pram window shopping, wow cant get over the price of some of them to be honest.
    I want a carrycot travel system style, Has anyone any experience of the baby elegance beep twist? It's the only one I've seen today that seems to meet what I want. Other suggestions more than welcome ðŸ˜႒

We looked at the travel system you have mentioned and thought it ticked all the boxes however mentioned it to my sis in law and she said not to touch them. Not very sturdy seemingly. Unless you are on perfectly flat ground the whole time the baby feels every bump and she thought it was crap on uneven ground.
    Maybe Google it for reviews.

We joined which.co.uk for one month (only costs £1 for first month) and used it to find loads of really good in depth reviews to help us draw up our shortlist. I'd really recommend it just don't forget to cancel it before you get billed for second month

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

This is all just standard for us on the NHS, although they are doing some extra appointments for us as we are more "senior" in years. Anyone you hear talking about the NHS being rubbish doesn't know what they are talking about, they are great... mostly.

Could do with a lot less admin staff wasting time and money, but the medical staff are fantastic, well apart from the "midwife" in the local heath centre who admitted to her job and the reason for the appointment basically being to tick some boxes in her book to say that other appointments had been done. Wife was not happy after taking time off work for that appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

This is all just standard for us on the NHS, although they are doing some extra appointments for us as we are more "senior" in years. Anyone you hear talking about the NHS being rubbish doesn't know what they are talking about, they are great... mostly.

Could do with a lot less admin staff wasting time and money, but the medical staff are fantastic, well apart from the "midwife" in the local heath centre who admitted to her job and the reason for the appointment basically being to tick some boxes in her book to say that other appointments had been done. Wife was not happy after taking time off work for that appointment.

Sorry if you felt I was insulting NHS I was not, just doesnt seem to be a level standard for scans etc.

Sorry if you felt I was insulting NHS I was not, just doesnt seem to be a level standard for scans etc.

Not at all. :)

Was just making the point that us having had the 20 week scan wasn't down to the luck of the draw on which hospital in Ireland we are using... then I got carried away with myself as all I keep hearing over here is how such and such is wrong with the NHS and how useless they are. :D

The number of options is to pick from is just daft, and it's all the more confusing because you are trying to pick something that you have next to no concept of what details are actually relevant. Want something that fits in the car, takes a car seat, the car seat fits in two different cars, is easy to fold and hoik into the car, that takes a carry cot, a car seat that can lie flat, a car seat that lasts for more than a couple of months, wheels on the buggy that can handle mud and off road trails, and shopping isles, and running, and don't puncture, and the handle is adjustable for tall people and short people...etc.

Too many things to try and figure out with zero knowledge of the topic. I am spending a lot of time staring at buggys now when wandering around the shopping centre seeing what different ones look like. I'm sure someone will take offence at this soon enough. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

The number of options is to pick from is just daft, and it's all the more confusing because you are trying to pick something that you have next to no concept of what details are actually relevant. Want something that fits in the car, takes a car seat, the car seat fits in two different cars, is easy to fold and hoik into the car, that takes a carry cot, a car seat that can lie flat, a car seat that lasts for more than a couple of months, wheels on the buggy that can handle mud and off road trails, and shopping isles, and running, and don't puncture, and the handle is adjustable for tall people and short people...etc.

Too many things to try and figure out with zero knowledge of the topic. I am spending a lot of time staring at buggys now when wandering around the shopping centre seeing what different ones look like. I'm sure someone will take offence at this soon enough. :o

You have managed by to sum up my confusion quite well and after reading a lot of reviews online since this morning that I can honestly say I'm no wiser :-) funnily enough now that you mention it, I did catch myself craning my neck trying to see the name on a few buggies in Tesco this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭WittyName1

We're going with the beep twist ourselves.
    Tried it out in the shop and really liked it.

Advertisement