Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Rule for eligibility to Away Opens

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

grip n rip wrote: »
    Ok lads ye're just getting silly now , fact is under european law i could join a club in poland and as long as i pay gui their cut i could play any open day i choose . All this rule will do is make lads bunch together and share a handicap

For getting silly. You have nailed it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

One lad gets full membership but 3-4 lads pitch in and share the number to play various opens

Well that is just cheating. Actually that is putting that as best I can.

Look, all sports have rules. All sports change rules.

If lads are getting handicaps cheap - just playing opens. Eventually there will be no clubs for opens.

There is a cost associated with Golf - It is an expensive sport to keep going.

As golfers we should feel like giving a little back.

If you don't want to give anything back - head off to Poland so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭grip n rip

For getting silly. You have nailed it yourself.

I agree its silly no doubt about it but under law its also true .

I agree its silly no doubt about it but under law its also true .

Can you refer us to the Regulation or Directive that substantiates this 'fact' ?

I know the answer. But still, have a go.

Well that is just cheating. Actually that is putting that as best I can.

Look, all sports have rules. All sports change rules.

If lads are getting handicaps cheap - just playing opens. Eventually there will be no clubs for opens.

There is a cost associated with Golf - It is an expensive sport to keep going.

As golfers we should feel like giving a little back.

If you don't want to give anything back - head off to Poland so.

I totally agree its cheating and wrong and everything else but why do you think people join clubs which charge €100-€200 ? Its because they cant afford the high membership most clubs still ask for . All im saying here is i dont agree with this new rule and it will cost a lot of clubs a lot if money and thus is detrimental to the health of the game in this country .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I totally agree its cheating and wrong and everything else but why do you think people join clubs which charge €100-€200 ? Its because they cant afford the high membership most clubs still ask for . All im saying here is i dont agree with this new rule and it will cost a lot of clubs a lot if money and thus is detrimental to the health of the game in this country .

I wouldn't say all are doing it because they can't afford it.

A good few are just doing it because it is cheap.

Is a view probably promulgated by those benefitting from the current 'loophole'. But not held, clearly, by those who dont benefit from it and disagree with your view. And they are the ones making, and entitled to make, the rules. So they are more than likely correct. The credibility of the opinion of those losing out in the change is pretty weak given their obvious bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Is a view probably promulgated by those benefitting from the current 'loophole'. But not held, clearly, by those who dont benefit from it and disagree with your view. And they are the ones making, and entitled to make, the rules. So they are more than likely correct. The credibility of the opinion of those losing out in the change is pretty weak given their obvious bias.

The longer this thread goes, the stronger the case for the GUI to crack down hard on the abuse of the system and on those who exploit the goodwill of real club members.

First Up wrote: »
    The longer this thread goes, the stronger the case for the GUI to crack down hard on the abuse of the system and on those who exploit the goodwill of real club members.

Are you less of a club member if you choose to play your golf at other course open days ?

Are you less of a club member if you choose to play your golf at other course open days ?

Yes. If the core of your golf is not at your 'club', then how could you call yourself a 'club member'. You are simply using them as a conduit to a GUI handicap and taking your golf elsewhere. So certainly not a true member. More a cuckoo.

• Advertisement

Yes. If the core of your golf is not at your 'club', then how could you call yourself a 'club member'. You are simply using them as a conduit to a GUI handicap and taking your golf elsewhere. So certainly not a true member. More a cuckoo.

So the fact i pay the same as everybody else but use my right to choose where i play makes me less of a member ?

So the fact i pay the same as everybody else but use my right to choose where i play makes me less of a member ?

If you have no involvement with your “club“ - yes.

If you have no involvement with your “club“ - yes.

Im afraid i totally disagree

Im afraid i totally disagree

The signs are that you have good reason to be afraid and not before time.

The signs are that you have good reason to be afraid and not before time.

The amount of looking down the nose , snobbery on here is a surprise , its also the reason why the so called "big clubs" are now asking gui to amend rules in their favour . Still im sure the "not real members" like me will find a way around it :) goodnight

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Goldenjohn

If you are only an associate or distance member you are less of a club member than a Full member hence why you pay less

Goldenjohn wrote: »
    If you are only an associate or distance member you are less of a club member than a Full member hence why you pay less

The technical term is parasite.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

The technical term is parasite.

that's a bit harsh.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    that's a bit harsh.

If the cap fits......

• Registered Users Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Point has been made, I think we can leave the technical definitions there for now.

• Advertisement

Not quite yet please.

They are not parasites. The term is beyond harsh, and in fact, incorrect. They were fully legitimately using a facility that the golfing world allowed them to. So those opting for the distance/opens choice cannot be faulted.

Specific clubs, clubs in general, and the GUI inaction let a situation develop, amplified by the pressures of the recent economic downturn following a boom in golf membership and course numbers, that was not in their interest.

They are now limiting the interest in such a golfing choice. Legitimately also.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭bobster453

Watch this space.This rule is totally unworkable and impossible to police without all sorts of connotations..not least of which is data protection.
    An ill thought out decision that will be allowed to die a quiet death.
    The GUI must surely agree with the above as it is now mid september and no notification has been given to any club on how to implement and monitor this rule going forward.
    Again watch this space..you read it here first.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Data Protection?
    Would seem pretty easy to make it a condition of GUI membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭dk1982

I only joined a new club a few weeks ago and since getting my handicap I've played in 2 club competitions (an open comp and presidents prize). Does this rule mean I have to play another club competition in the next 2 weeks or I wont be allowed play open comps in away clubs next year? I haven't been notified of this by my club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

bobster453 wrote: »
    Watch this space.This rule is totally unworkable and impossible to police without all sorts of connotations..not least of which is data protection.
    An ill thought out decision that will be allowed to die a quiet death.
    The GUI must surely agree with the above as it is now mid september and no notification has been given to any club on how to implement and monitor this rule going forward.
    Again watch this space..you read it here first.

Data protection? You're having a laugh. Next time I swipe into the computer for an open comp and my handicap information comes up i'm going to demand that it's taken down immediately as it's a breach of the Data Protection Act. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

dk1982 wrote: »
    I only joined a new club a few weeks ago and since getting my handicap I've played in 2 club competitions (an open comp and presidents prize). Does this rule mean I have to play another club competition in the next 2 weeks or I wont be allowed play open comps in away clubs next year? I haven't been notified of this by my club.

Yes

And this is a major part of the issue right here. Lack of clarity. You should absolutely have been informed of this. Wouldn't surprise me if if was put back a year due to issues such as this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

dk1982 wrote: »

I thought most clubs require you to play in 3 qualifying comps before playing in a President's prize.....

When you say you played in an open competition... you mean at your home club? Anyway... you need 3 qualifying rounds at your home club to play in any away open next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭dk1982

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    I thought most clubs require you to play in 3 qualifying comps before playing in a President's prize.....

When you say you played in an open competition... you mean at your home club? Anyway... you need 3 qualifying rounds at your home club to play in any away open next year.

Yes, it was an Open comp at my home club. As for your first point, that must not be a requirement in my club.

alxmorgan wrote: »
    You should absolutely have been informed of this.

Why ? As long as he is informed before he tried to play in an open next year it would be fine from the GUI side. Frustrating for him of course, but then the rule is not being made for the convenience of people on the borderline, or outside it, of playing in opens next year.

I'd say most clubs have a clue yet about this coming down the line anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Why ? As long as he is informed before he tried to play in an open next year it would be fine from the GUI side. Frustrating for him of course, but then the rule is not being made for the convenience of people on the borderline, or outside it, of playing in opens next year.

I'd say most clubs have a clue yet about this coming down the line anyway.

I just think if you are changing the rules of something you have an obligation to inform people

Advertisement