Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland SFC SF Mayo v Kerry 24/08 3.30pm RTE 2 HD, Sky Sports 3 HD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

1. Brian Kelly Killarney Legion
    2. Marc Ó Sé An Ghaeltacht
    3. Aidan O’Mahony Rathmore
    4. Shane Enright Tarbert
    5. Paul Murphy Rathmore
    6. Peter Crowley Laune Rangers
    7. Fionn Fitzgerald (Capt) Dr Crokes
    8. Anthony Maher Duagh
    9. David Moran Kerins O’Rahillys
    10. Michael Geaney Dingle
    11. Johnny Buckley Dr Crokes
    12. Donnchadh Walsh Cromane
    13. Stephen O’Brien Kenmare
    14. Paul Geaney Dingle
    15. James O’Donoghue Killarney Legion

Declan and Bryan on the bench - clearly not fit enough to start :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9 nmjc

Freeman starting at 14 with Moran dropping to the bench

• Registered Users Posts: 15,109 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

2004 semi v Fermanagh?

Mayo have never preformed well in red, going back to their 1988 Sf loss v Meath.

Sheehan will be missed for long range frees.
    Did Buckley take them also if I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

As expected really with Declan.

His knees are shot unfortunately.

Crowley will almost certainly work on Aidan O'Shea so a few of these wouldn't go astray.

crowley2.gif

He is a great man to hit a shoulder, he will need to be physically in tip top shape to compete with AOS.

O'Donaghue will not be the main man on Sunday for Kerry. A lot of dummy runs because he'll most likely be double marked. His runs will leave space for the equally pacy Stephen O'Brien in behind.

One of these should be alright:

sobgoal.gif

Kerry will avoid the middle of the park like the plague. Mayo are far too physical. Kerry will use the wings, and direct footpassing to bypass the O'Shea (x2) Boyle, Vaughan, Keegan physicality around the middle.

Kerry will need to be lively around the breaking ball, as Kevin McLoughlin and recently Doherty have been exceptional around the middle.

Kerry to blitz early and put up a decent lead, before Mayo wear them down and fight back. A strong Kerry bench to help see out a win by 3/4 points.

p.s Watch out for Donaghy

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

DDC1990 wrote: »

Crowley will almost certainly work on Aidan O'Shea so a few of these wouldn't go astray.

crowley2.gif

He is a great man to hit a shoulder, he will need to be physically in tip top shape to compete with AOS.

O'Donaghue will not be the main man on Sunday for Kerry. A lot of dummy runs because he'll most likely be double marked. His runs will leave space for the equally pacy Stephen O'Brien in behind.

sobgoal.gif

Kerry will avoid the middle of the park like the plague. Mayo are far too physical. Kerry will use the wings, and direct footpassing to bypass the O'Shea (x2) Boyle, Vaughan, Keegan physicality around the middle.

Kerry will need to be lively around the breaking ball, as Kevin McLoughlin and recently Doherty have been exceptional around the middle.

Kerry to blitz early and put up a decent lead, before Mayo wear them down and fight back. A strong Kerry bench to help see out a win by 3/4 points.

Think you lost credibility on donaghy . Modern game is too fast for a very slow player. That is unless Kerry try something new and put him in at full forward.

• Advertisement

nmjc wrote: »
    Freeman starting at 14 with Moran dropping to the bench

That would be a good move.
    But I'll wait till I see it from an official source.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

Where's Killian Young> benched or injured?

Very interested to see what role Johnny buckley has, and I'd agree that JOD is going to be a smokescreen, huge game for Paul Geaney.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Kingdom wrote: »
    Where's Killian Young> benched or injured?

Very interested to see what role Johnny buckley has, and I'd agree that JOD is going to be a smokescreen, huge game for Paul Geaney.

Maybe at this stage of year and in croker kerry are leaving some ammo on the bench. Last 10 minutes has beaten them v Dublin in 2011 and 2013.

crowley2.gif

sobgoal.gif

Interesting what you say about taking the middle of the park out of the game.

One of my biggest concerns from a Mayo POV is that Horan and Co. are not fully prepared for something like that, even though its a pretty obvious tactics, and they should have a plan for it.

On the idea that Stephen O Brien could be the main man rather than JOD, I feel that there seems to be a lot of expectation for this guy.

If I'm not mistaken this will be his first only his third SFC game and his first in CP, plus he will be going up against a very experienced and mature Mayo defense, its a big ask for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

I'm more confident of a Mayo win after seeing that Kerry line up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Interesting what you say about taking the middle of the park out of the game.

One of my biggest concerns from a Mayo POV is that Horan and Co. are not fully prepared for something like that, even though its a pretty obvious tactics, and they should have a plan for it.

On the idea that Stephen O Brien could be the main man rather than JOD, I feel that there seems to be a lot of expectation for this guy.

If I'm not mistaken this will be his first only his third SFC game and his first in CP, plus he will be going up against a very experienced and mature Mayo defense, its a big ask for him.
    Oh, no doubt its a massive ask, but wouldn't be the first time Kerry have done this.

Kerry v Donegal 2012, a young inexperienced James O'Donaghue was the main target of Kerry attacks.

Unfortunately he had a bit of a nightmare, with numerous balls hitting off his chest, and generally not much going right for him. We could see the same with Stephen, or we could see a few of them go right and a few goals follow.

I think Geaney is a better footballer (and would be a great target man), but O'Brien has the pace to get in behind for goals.

The reason I say Kerry avoid the physical stuff is based off evidence from the Cork and Galway games. Kerry avoided contact at all cost, especially against a physical Cork side. Everyone was saying Cork/Galway didn't bring the physicality needed, but the fact was Kerry danced around it. Much tougher task to do that against Mayo/Dublin/Donegal, where they have physicality everywhere. We'll see how it goes. If the tactic pays off, then I think Kerry will win. If Mayo turn it into a fight like Cork did to Mayo in the last game, then Mayo should easily be too strong for Kerry.

In Castlebar at the moment (for my sins) and a lot of confident people. Connacht Telegraph with a headline along the lines of "Mayo to send Kerry packing". Total opposite of the usual Mayo buildup to games. Its great for Mayo football that the fans and people are finally confident in the team instead of expecting to be beaten, and then surprised when the team performs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Will be delighted if the rumours that Jason Gibbons and Alan Freeman are starting are proven correct,will definitely strengthen the team.

Oh, no doubt its a massive ask, but wouldn't be the first time Kerry have done this.

Kerry v Donegal 2012, a young inexperienced James O'Donaghue was the main target of Kerry attacks.

Unfortunately he had a bit of a nightmare, with numerous balls hitting off his chest, and generally not much going right for him. We could see the same with Stephen, or we could see a few of them go right and a few goals follow.

I think Geaney is a better footballer (and would be a great target man), but O'Brien has the pace to get in behind for goals.

The reason I say Kerry avoid the physical stuff is based off evidence from the Cork and Galway games. Kerry avoided contact at all cost, especially against a physical Cork side. Everyone was saying Cork/Galway didn't bring the physicality needed, but the fact was Kerry danced around it. Much tougher task to do that against Mayo/Dublin/Donegal, where they have physicality everywhere. We'll see how it goes. If the tactic pays off, then I think Kerry will win. If Mayo turn it into a fight like Cork did to Mayo in the last game, then Mayo should easily be too strong for Kerry.

In Castlebar at the moment (for my sins) and a lot of confident people. Connacht Telegraph with a headline along the lines of "Mayo to send Kerry packing". Total opposite of the usual Mayo buildup to games. Its great for Mayo football that the fans and people are finally confident in the team instead of expecting to be beaten, and then surprised when the team performs.

Wouldn't agree with any of that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Mayo team is unchanged..up on twitter...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Will be there any problems getting tickets for the match on the day in and around Croker ? .... the ones for sale online are pretty bad seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Culchie wrote: »
    Will be there any problems getting tickets for the match on the day in and around Croker ? .... the ones for sale online are pretty bad seats.

Youll get them in the ticket office outside. But they wont be any better than the seats online (probably)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Culchie wrote: »

Doubt they will be any better. If anything they will be even worse as the ones you now consider to be bad are bought up and your left with the dregs in the corners. Don't expect upper tiers to be opened as the crowd won't need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Doubt they will be any better. If anything they will be even worse as the ones you now consider to be bad are bought up and your left with the dregs in the corners. Don't expect upper tiers to be opened as the crowd won't need it.

Are ye mad? :eek: It's an All Ireland semifinal. Of course the Upper tiers will be open.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Upper tiers are usually only opened due to demand I thought. For the 2011 semi I vaguely remember that they decided to open the Upper Cusack on the morning of the match. Anyway there will be no problem getting tickets. This will be nowhere near a sell out.

Upper cusak is open

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Are ye mad? :eek: It's an All Ireland semifinal. Of course the Upper tiers will be open.

Actually just checked and upper cusack is available on tickets.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

So is the Upper Hogan. I have friends who have seats up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Has this thread died and the individual sets of supporters retired to their own County discussion threads?

Im just hoping for a great game, and think we have two teams capable of delivering an open exciting game.

Gun to my head - Mayo to pull away with 5 mins to go and win by 3/4.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Hope to God Kerry win, but fancy to Mayo to get over the line by a few points.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

That free was a bit soft

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

COC will kick them all day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Poor decision by Coldrick. Boyle seemed to have a hold of the jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i cant see the so called gap between mayo and kerry , they struggled to beat an avrage cork team last time out , they do have good forwards but i think there defance will struggle agenst the kerry forwards 6 minns gone i reckon kerry by 4 or 5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭lalababa

The tackling and reffing don't make any sense to me, ditto for the minor game. This ref will suit the pulling and dragging tackers.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Smashing point.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement