Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland SFC SF Mayo v Kerry 24/08 3.30pm RTE 2 HD, Sky Sports 3 HD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Kalyke

The weather forecast for Sunday is fairly grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Kalyke wrote: »
    The weather forecast for Sunday is fairly grim.

:(

What sort of attendance are they expecting on Sunday?I believe there are quite a lot of supporters heading up from the Kingdom.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Mayo to me look a fair bit worse than they were last year. Kerry I suppose are about the same as they were last year.

That would leave Mayo slightly ahead, but it's pretty close.

I'm not quite convinced the Mayo midfield is the powerhouse it's vaunted as. If Sheehan and Maher were to have good games I'd expect them to break even, or reasonably close to.
    If it works out that way and both teams secure a similar amount of possessions I wouldn't be surprised if Kerry were to produce more shots and scores than a Mayo side who look occasionally short on ideas when they have a non-turnover attacking position.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Also, people were asking earlier - Kerry's team isn't named until Thursday night this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

I think Mayo taking off Andy Moran killed their own purple patch against Cork. In Mayos purple patch at start of second half Moran was involved in at least 50/60% of positive plays. He was taken off (pre game decision?), from then on Mayo didn't make the ball stick inside n Cork counter attacked. Cillian going off was yet another forward going off who can show well inside. The sweeper operation was completely ineffective n Lee Keegan to my mind does more damage counter attacking than man marking. Kerrigan had plenty posessions n assists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭JoeCole26

Hi,

Hope im okay to post this here. Are there still tickets available in Mayo for this game? Im in Dublin and dont have many contacts up here with tickets for this game. Cant imagine it will sell out. Tickets on ticketmaster are not great at all. Just wondering if there is anyway of contacting the mayo county board to reserve tickets? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

JoeCole26 wrote: »
    Hi,

Hope im okay to post this here. Are there still tickets available in Mayo for this game? Im in Dublin and dont have many contacts up here with tickets for this game. Cant imagine it will sell out. Tickets on ticketmaster are not great at all. Just wondering if there is anyway of contacting the mayo county board to reserve tickets? Thanks

Connacht council in bekan is probably your best bet. 0949630335

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 shoulder

Hi,

There is a ticket office on the Drumcondra road when you're walking to the ground from the city centre direction. I'd imagine there'll still be plenty of tickets on sale there. Best get there before 12 noon in case it closes. I have previously bought a ticket there myself on match day. Ask any of the shops/businesses on that road and you'll find it. You can't miss it really. It's on your right hand side walking to the ground from the city centre on the Drumcondra road.

Any ticket for the upper level has a great view.

Hon Mayo!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Mayo should win the match.Overall they have the stronger team and if the Kerry defence can't stop Tom Flynn running from the half way line straight through the centre of their defence they're going to have some job stopping Aidan O'Shea.

Tom Flynn is a good bit quicker than O'Shea.

robbiezero wrote: »
    OShea might be a bit slower but when he decides to burst forward in contact he is like a bullock trying to break out of a cattle crush. Wriggles himself free all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭robbiezero

OShea might be a bit slower but when he decides to burst forward in contact he is like a bullock trying to break out of a cattle crush. Wriggles himself free all the time.

:D
    He is a fair bullock alright and very hard to stop, but couldn't see him scoring a goal similar to Tom Flynn.

Fair play on an absolutely apt and brilliant description of the way he takes a ball through a tackle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

shoulder wrote: »
    There is a ticket office on the Drumcondra road when you're walking to the ground from the city centre direction. I'd imagine there'll still be plenty of tickets on sale there. Best get there before 12 noon in case it closes. I have previously bought a ticket there myself on match day. Ask any of the shops/businesses on that road and you'll find it. You can't miss it really. It's on your right hand side walking to the ground from the city centre on the Drumcondra road.

Any ticket for the upper level has a great view.

Hon Mayo!

Yup .. the van is situated just after the entrance to the Hill on matchday

Alternatively during the week, you can try the ticket office in Dorset Street 018717400, just down on the corner from The Red Parrot pub

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Mayo not in form of last year or 2012 and their defence isn't as solid as it has been under Horan. This is very much a Kerry side in transition however the manner of their Munster final win has given them a new found confidence they perhaps didn't have the last two years. Sundays game all points to a high scoring contest and I have a feeling Kerry will nick it with a late goal.

Kerry 2-14 Mayo 1-16

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

If asked 6 months ago I would have honestly said a 4+ win for Mayo if they met at semi final stage..but now..it's not far off 50/50.

Can discuss it all day but I think this game will be won/lost around the middle third. If Kerry get anywhere close to breakeven there and DON'T allow Mayo to build from the back easily (giving up kickouts etc) then I can see a Kerry win.

Conditions could be treacherous underfoot, so a slip by a corner back and the odd goal for either side could be crucial.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I can't see how people are saying that Kerry are about as good as they were last year. Cooper is out, I don't think Buckley and Maher have improved much as a pairing. Mayo have improved in the middle. JOD was flying last year too so not much movement their IMHO. Mayo now have AOS in his best position and possibly Higgins in his best position too

Stoner wrote: »
    I can't see how people are saying that Kerry are about as good as they were last year. Cooper is out, I don't think Buckley and Maher have improved much as a pairing. Mayo have improved in the middle. JOD was flying last year too so not much movement their IMHO. Mayo now have AOS in his best position and possibly Higgins in his best position too

Goalkeeper: Kelly, big improvement from Kealy.

Defence: Fullback line look a good bit more solid. Lost Tomás but Fionn Fitz is turning into a top class defender. Murphy flying, Enright flying. AOM and Marc don't have the legs they used to, but still doing a decent job.

Midfield: Possible area of concern to be fair. Maher not playing well, Sheehan an injury doubt (had been going well), Moran did very well in the air against Galway but sloppy in possession at times, Buckley was outstanding in Cork, quieter v Galway. Overall, still need to improve for sure.

Forwards: Gooch is gone which is obviously a huge blow. The pace and movement has been good so far though. JOD has taken it to another level, Geaney is showing what he can do finally. Walsh is continuing to defy his doubters (I was once one myself!) and O'Brien has stepped it up massively also. Declan is playing his new role to perfection so far.

Bench: Huge improvement off bench from recent years. Moran and Barry John Keane were outstanding off the bench against Galway. Darran Sull is getting near peak fitness all the time, Crowley is a great impact sub at the back.

Given all that, despite the loss of Tomás and Gooch, I think we are overall a little bit more balanced and comfortable than last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,101 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Goalkeeper: Kelly, big improvement from Kealy.

Defence: Fullback line look a good bit more solid. Lost Tomás but Fionn Fitz is turning into a top class defender. Murphy flying, Enright flying. AOM and Marc don't have the legs they used to, but still doing a decent job.

Midfield: Possible area of concern to be fair. Maher not playing well, Sheehan an injury doubt (had been going well), Moran did very well in the air against Galway but sloppy in possession at times, Buckley was outstanding in Cork, quieter v Galway. Overall, still need to improve for sure.

Forwards: Gooch is gone which is obviously a huge blow. The pace and movement has been good so far though. JOD has taken it to another level, Geaney is showing what he can do finally. Walsh is continuing to defy his doubters (I was once one myself!) and O'Brien has stepped it up massively also. Declan is playing his new role to perfection so far.

Bench: Huge improvement off bench from recent years. Moran and Barry John Keane were outstanding off the bench against Galway. Darran Sull is getting near peak fitness all the time, Crowley is a great impact sub at the back.

Given all that, despite the loss of Tomás and Gooch, I think we are overall a little bit more balanced and comfortable than last year.

Yes it would look like Kerry have turned a corner and are improving and introducing new blood.

But I still think it was be a bit early to confirm that some of them are long term stars.
    This is possibly the first real test for Kelly, Murphy, O Brien, and the two Geaneys.
    Last year a lot in Kerry were hailing Buckley, but this season they are a bit more lukewarm about him.
    I'm not sure if Griffin the full back is injured but he was another who was talked Bout a lot last year.
    And BJK has been around quiet a bit now but have never cemented his place in the squad.

Mayo on the other hand are very well settled but unfortunately have not really introduced any new blood since Horan took over.
    Thus squad is very like the 2011 group.
    Its really last chance saloon for this squad and Horan.They need new blood for 2015 and beyond.

Yes it would look like Kerry have turned a corner and are improving and introducing new blood.

But I still think it was be a bit early to confirm that some of them are long term stars.
    This is possibly the first real test for Kelly, Murphy, O Brien, and the two Geaneys.
    Last year a lot in Kerry were hailing Buckley, but this season they are a bit more lukewarm about him.
    I'm not sure if Griffin the full back is injured but he was another who was talked Bout a lot last year.
    And BJK has been around quiet a bit now but have never cemented his place in the squad.

Mayo on the other hand are very well settled but unfortunately have not really introduced any new blood since Horan took over.
    Thus squad is very like the 2011 group.
    Its really last chance saloon for this squad and Horan.They need new blood for 2015 and beyond.

No doubt, it's a new level for some of those you mentioned, but Kelly, Paul Geaney, O'Brien, Murphy are proven performers at Sigerson/U-21 level and have stepped up to every challenge so far.
    Griffin isn't injured, he was dropped after a few roastings in the league. Lot to learn yet, but he is only 22.
    Buckley is yet to prove he is able to effect game against a top 4 team I agree. Sunday will tell us more.
    BJK, I've spoken about before..has got unlucky, been inconsistent at times, fell out with Fitz 2 years ago etc..but there's no doubting his talent and he looks to be in great form right now.

I think it's only fair to say, in terms of collectivism as a team, this Mayo team are on year 4 or thereabouts whereas this is probably year one for this Kerry team. I can understand Mayo being favourites, but I'm expecting a big Kerry performance on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Hi,

I just got pretty decent Lower Hogan seats tickets on tickets.ie.

Supervalu & Centras in Dublin sell GAA tickets too. They are an agent for ticket.ie, so they will have access to whatever is available online on ticket.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

robbiezero wrote: »

I'd still think O'Shea would be a lot harder to stop.

Its not a good sign when any player runs that far almost completely unchallenged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Can't see past a Mayo win here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I see this as a 50-50 game. Both teams can improve and whoever has come on the furthest from the QF will win out.

Mayo have a clear advantage around the middle of the field though imo and that could be crucial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

What type of a crowd is expected on Sunday? I saw in the Mayo News or some local paper that they were talking about 35k - 40k. That seems very low to be honest... Would be a disappointment I think if there were less than 55k or 60k there.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    I see this as a 50-50 game. Both teams can improve and whoever has come on the furthest from the QF will win out.

Mayo have a clear advantage around the middle of the field though imo and that could be crucial.
    The moving of Aidan O'Shea to centre forward has had a big effect on Mayo's overall middle 8.
    Mayo can add one more big man to the mix at midfield (Vaughan or Gibbons, plenty cover to slot back instead of Vaughan.) A half forward line of:
    Doherty - Excellent tackler, very fast n strong
    AOS - Usually has a couple of good wins of difficult ball
    McGloughlin - One of the best passers in the team and is great at skipping around contact rather than running into it.

Midfield - SOS is on serious form and fitness.
    ANother - Likely Vaughan. A mobile, big man and hopefully can grow more into the role. Not the tightest man marker so I think a good move.

Halfbacks - Boyle/Keegan/(Cunniffe or Higgins or Barrett). You wouldn't worry too much about who the wing back will be. Barrett has the better shooting boots combined with good passing. I like the idea of having from 5 - 15 as many players as possible who can shoot 50% minimum from attempts.
    On the other hand this might be Cunniffe to bring extra physicality around the middle on 50:50 ball or holding up counter attacks. Pro's/Cons to all three options.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,767 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Padkir wrote: »
    What type of a crowd is expected on Sunday? I saw in the Mayo News or some local paper that they were talking about 35k - 40k. That seems very low to be honest... Would be a disappointment I think if there were less than 55k or 60k there.
    15k max from Kerry probably between 20 + 25k from mayo plus a few neutrals depending on the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,067 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Kerry by 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

What are the signs they are coming good though? What can you point to in the Cork or Galway games that suggest they are 'coming good'? I'm not saying you are wrong but am curious of the logic behind what you are saying.

Pretty much what Tod said a few posts back, I don't think we've seen Mayo really empty the tank in this campaign so far. I got the impression against Cork that had they been more ruthless in going for goal and had kept their concentration towards the end then there would have been more in the result. The same thing happened in the league against the same opposition. You can be damn sure Mayo will push harder for goals if they can get on top of Kerry.

I think there's a bigger performance in this team than what we've seen so far, Mayo have been preparing all year for this stage of the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

BPKS wrote: »
    15k max from Kerry probably between 20 + 25k from mayo plus a few neutrals depending on the weather.

That would be a very disappointing crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

There were only 50,000 at the match between these 2 in 2011, so if there is a similar crowd on Sunday it'll be a pretty good attendance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,767 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

There were only 50,000 at the match between these 2 in 2011, so if there is a similar crowd on Sunday it'll be a pretty good attendance.

Kerry and Mayo also play in the minor semi final which will reduce the crowd. roscommon played tipp before the 2011 semi final and would have swelled the crowd by 6 or 7 k, especially the rossies.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement