Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland SFC SF Mayo v Kerry 24/08 3.30pm RTE 2 HD, Sky Sports 3 HD

Options
  • 17-08-2014 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,100 ✭✭✭✭

Well with the hurling semis over I think it's time to talk about this one.

After the quarter finals day I was a bit worried as a Mayo man about facing Kerry in the Semi Final.

This year Mayo have found it hard to stop teams scoring goals against them, we say that in the league and in the second half v Cork.
    And the one thing this Kerry team has is the ability to score gaols, particularity in the form of James O' Donoughe, but I'm suer other can take their chances if presented also.

I am still a bit worried about that but I am hopeful Mayo will find a way to counter the Kerry attack.

The obvious way is to prevent the supply of ball to them.
    The way to do that is to win the battles around the midfield.

Mayo are strong in this area.
    They have 4 very good midfielders in Barry Moran, Jason Gibbons and the O' Shea brothers.
    They also have half backs who love to get on the ball, and Jason Doherty has show this season that he is very astute cleaning up breaking ball.

Kerry on the other hand may not be as strong in midfield.
    Bryan Sheehan was injured v Galway and may be back for the Mayo game.
    David Moran has played much more this season that before but is still prone to injury and a lot of Kerry folk are not to gone on what he does with the ball once he wins it.
    Maher has had a so so year so far, but of course is is still no slouch.

As I said Mayo's defence has a habit of leaking goals and will have to be on full alert from the Kerry attack.
    It was mentioned in the Kerry's Eye newspaper this week that one way Mayo could negate JOD is for Keegan to lead him a merry dance all over the field as happened ion the league.
    A bit like what KK did to Lar Corbett in the 2011 Hurling final.
    Keegan loves to get forward but I'm not sure how much he would leave exposed if he did too much of it, he did a good defensive job v Cork and still managed to chip in with a late vital point.

Kerry's defence has also been tested this season, especially by Galway and Clare.

I think Mayo are a more seasoned, physical unit at this stage and should have the upper-hand.
    They press high up the field and force a lot of turnovers which they convert into scores

Kerry are relying on a good few guys to step up at this level.
    As I said their midfield is a bit questionable, and injuries are no help.
    They have a few young guys like Murphy, O' Brien and the Geaney's who are not that experienced at this level.
    Plus they are relying on Marc O; Se, Aidan O' Mahoney and Declan O' Sullivan to be at their very best.

This post is obviously more slanted to a Mayo win,I hope I am right, but as I said on another thread I would have been a lot more confident in 2013 than I am now about this fixture.

It's a bit like the reverse of the 2011 SF.
    That day Mayo had the young guys and Kerry were the established strong team.

Mayo by a comfortable enough margin (3,4 pts) at the end.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Probably a fair enough summary of where both teams are at. On paper it's got to be mayo by a couple of points. Football is not an exact science however, and if Kerry can nab a goal or two in the first half they will have every chance. If they get enough quality ball into JOD and Geaney then that is a real possibility. Kerry's forwards are more clinical and won't need as many chances as mayo to win the game IMO.

Bryan sheehans fitness will be a big factor, he is an important player for Kerry around the middle where mayo are very strong, and is probably worth a few points from placed balls as well. Impossible to call this one really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭corny

Really can't make up my mind about this. Mayo have players around the middle of the park who can run the opposition into the ground. I never underestimate that about them but Kerry have some fine footballers who work the ball well. Gun to the head i'd go for Mayo because i'd be more certain they will perform.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭stdidit

mickeyk wrote: »
    If they get enough quality ball into JOD and Geaney then that is a real possibility. Kerry's forwards are more clinical and won't need as many chances as mayo to win the game IMO.

Spot on there. I think the outcome of this the game will be decided on the effectiveness of Mayo's tactic of putting serious pressure on the ball, high up the field.
    If Kerry get time and space to play it into their inside forward they will pick Mayo off. If Mayo can put effective pressure on the ball, stop it getting cleanly into Geaney and JOD then they it will be hard to seem them lose.

Fascinating battle in store though. Cant wait for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

In the league game in Castlebar, Kerry played JamesO in the half forward line. They wont do that on Sunday. I actually think its another young Kerry forward ye will be talking about next Monday if Kerry win but of course that depends on the ability to break even in the middle, which is the biggest concern down here. All depends on who starts well, if Kerry start well we'll win, if Mayo get a bit of confidence at the start and don't kick stupid wides, ye'll win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

It's far too close to call. Memories of last year, nearly everyone writing off Kerry saying they wouldn't have the legs to go against us Dubs for the full 70 minutes and look how that turned out!

I think it will be tight and it might come down to a few individual performances. If Mayo have their shooting boots on the day and don't horse a load of wides they might do what everyone has suggested but can't write Kerry off at all , at all.

Looking forward to being in Croker on Sunday : )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Kerry to win this by 8+ points. 2011 revisited.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Kerry by 2-4 pts for me. Just don't think that this is Mayo's year. It won't be Kerry's year either, when all is said and done, but that probably a thread for another day. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

Mayo will win in the end.

but their supporters will ask themselves is it only prolonging the agony.

freddiek wrote: »

I dont know how Mayo supporters are thinking this way. Kerry know they will beat Mayo, the question is by how much?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

Amprodude wrote: »
    I dont know how Mayo supporters are thinking this way. Kerry know they will beat Mayo, the question is by how much?

Mayo have lost many All-Ireland finals since 1951 plus the last two, that's what i was getting at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Volvic12

Interesting point to note is the trainer - Cian O Neill. He will know how Mayo play inside out having trained them in 2012. They haven't changed a huge amount since then. After Mayo beat Dublin in a memorable All-Ireland semi-final, Tipperary hurler Lar Corbett tweeted: “Everywhere Cian O’Neill seems to go they become winners. Respect”.

Of course, it must also be noted that Donie Buckley will have a bit of inside knowledge himself on Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 nicepoint

WIll the Kerry team be named tomorrow night ? Any word on Bryan Sheehan's injury ?

Volvic12 wrote: »
    Interesting point to note is the trainer - Cian O Neill. He will know how Mayo play inside out having trained them in 2012. They haven't changed a huge amount since then. After Mayo beat Dublin in a memorable All-Ireland semi-final, Tipperary hurler Lar Corbett tweeted: “Everywhere Cian O’Neill seems to go they become winners. Respect”.

Of course, it must also be noted that Donie Buckley will have a bit of inside knowledge himself on Kerry.

Cian o Neill didnt win AI with Mayo though so that theory is out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

nicepoint wrote: »
    WIll the Kerry team be named tomorrow night ? Any word on Bryan Sheehan's injury ?

Yup - normally around 8/9pm

Supposedly back training anyway.

The team is fairly settled anyway - I'd be expecting to see the same midfield three as the last day, but wouldnt really be shocked if Moran was in for one of the 3 of Buckley, Sheehan or Maher.

On paper the 4 of Sheehan, Maher, Buckley and Moran look a decent outfit but fitness & form issues have dogged all four this year. Really wouldnt be surprised if this is a problem area come Sunday.

I'd expect Stephen O'Brien to replace Geaney in the starting line-up.
    Can't see any change to the backs

Brian Kelly
    Marc Ó'Sé
    Aidan O’Mahony
    Shane Enright
    Paul Murphy
    Killian Young
    Fionn Fitzgerald
    Anthony Maher
    Bryan Sheehan
    Stephen O'Brien
    Johnny Buckley
    Donnachadh Walsh
    Paul Geaney
    Declan O’Sullivan
    James O'Donoghue

The bench is also an area of concern - really don't think there is much in the way of serious options here.

Seems to be a fair amount of folk travelling - much more than the Galway match (although the August bank holiday is always a bit awkward in Kerry)

I think a lot of Kerry's hopes are being put on James O'Donoghue's shoulders - he's had 2 fabulous days against an awful defence and a mediocre defence.
    Mayo are a proper outfit and they're not going to 1) let the lads out the field put balls on plates for JOD and 2) give him the same sort of time and space to shoot when he does get the ball

I think the mood in Kerry is one more of hope than expectation - coming out of the league game v Cork in Tralee very few had visions of getting to a semi-final this year.

The big plus for Kerry this year is how quickly the 4 of Geaney, Murphy, O'Brien and Kelly have settled to championship intercounty football (obviously JOD continuing his development is another big plus) Rather than just being squad members they are looking very much like proper first 15 Kerry footballers.

Overall I think it will be a close enough encounter and I'd be surprised if there were more than a few points in it at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Volvic12

Cian o Neill didnt win AI with Mayo though so that theory is out the window.

How is that theory out the window? By all accounts he did a great job with them. I do know Mayo did not win an All Ireland with him there!! My point was that he is well respected as being very good and he will know Mayo and how they play inside out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Are you bored from pi@%ing off the lads on the Cork forum??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,100 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

freddiek wrote: »

Na,
    Well look forward to the final and see how it goes.

Cian O Neill left after the 2012 season and joined Kerry.

The personnell is the same but Buckley had brought a lot of changes to the training setup.

So I doubt there is much extra that O Neill know beyond what has been seen on the field over the past season and a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I'd be quietly confident that Mayo have enough in the tank to see off Kerry. I think we have played within ourselves at times this season, there's a complete performance to come out of this team at some stage but i'm not one bit bothered as long as we keep winning. I think there will be no lack of motivation either from Mayo, lose on Sunday and this team is finished under Horan - he will not last another year and it could be the end of the road for a few.
    I want to see Mayo dominate midfield and to be clinical with their chances because Kerry will be. I don't think there will be many changes from the team against Cork.

It should to be a great game of football and hopefully we can finally give Kerry the beating that they deserve off us in Championship Football. I was there in 1996 when we did it last time, does anyone remember James Horan's goal that day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I'll be for Mayo, but it all looks academic as Dublin look way out in front.

Mayo are bookies favourites, has to be a long, long time if indeed this ever happened v Kerry.

• Advertisement

Kalyke wrote: »
    Are you bored from pi@%ing off the lads on the Cork forum??

Not really. Im a Corkman myself sure. My opinion is as valuble as everyone elses here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Not really. Im a Corkman myself sure. My opinion is as valuble as everyone elses here.

You're coming across as a very sore Corkman indeed. Kerry to win by 8+ points? Come off it, what's the basis for such a prediction? It would be a complete turnaround from all the league games played in recent times, Mayo are battle-hardened and you can't point to 2011 and before and use that as a yardstick.

Mayo have it in themselves to win. They need to tighten up in defence and stop the supply going into O'Donoghue and show more ruthlessness up front during the purple patches. They haven't put in a massive performance this year but all the signs are pointing towards it coming good. Big performance needed from the forwards, the half-backs will have their hands full and won't be able to provide as much reinforcements up front, I think that's what killed us against Dublin last year. Can expect Donie Vaughan to be played up front again I would say.

Kerry can never be written off and for a team in 'transition' they pushed Dublin all the way and had things gone their way could very well have won. Galway showed that they can be opened up and Horan will have taken note.

All in all I think it's going to be the game of the year so far, two top teams playing fast open football. Mayo by three.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

You're coming across as a very sore Corkman indeed. Kerry to win by 8+ points? Come off it, what's the basis for such a prediction? It would be a complete turnaround from all the league games played in recent times, Mayo are battle-hardened and you can't point to 2011 and before and use that as a yardstick.

Mayo have it in themselves to win. They need to tighten up in defence and stop the supply going into O'Donoghue and show more ruthlessness up front during the purple patches. They haven't put in a massive performance this year but all the signs are pointing towards it coming good. Big performance needed from the forwards, the half-backs will have their hands full and won't be able to provide as much reinforcements up front, I think that's what killed us against Dublin last year. Can expect Donie Vaughan to be played up front again I would say.

Kerry can never be written off and for a team in 'transition' they pushed Dublin all the way and had things gone their way could very well have won. Galway showed that they can be opened up and Horan will have taken note.

All in all I think it's going to be the game of the year so far, two top teams playing fast open football. Mayo by three.

What are the signs they are coming good though? What can you point to in the Cork or Galway games that suggest they are 'coming good'? I'm not saying you are wrong but am curious of the logic behind what you are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 nmjc

Should be a interesting game, Kerry look good up front but looked a bit suspect in defence against Galway, with runners. Saying that they won the game easily as opposed to mayo who struggled for periods. Mayo will hopefully up their intensity, maybe give Freeman a run at 14, expect it to be tight for a half or so before they pull away, if as word is they are starting to push on again. Out of the three teams left I think only mayo potentially have the legs to live with Dublin and it will take a monumental effort to beat them. Either way we will have a good idea after the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

What are the signs they are coming good though? What can you point to in the Cork or Galway games that suggest they are 'coming good'? I'm not saying you are wrong but am curious of the logic behind what you are saying.

I'm curious also. A few weeks to get things right its possible that Horan can have Mayo in better shape this Sunday.

I'm curious also. A few weeks to get things right its possible that Horan can have Mayo in better shape this Sunday.

I think the feeling is that Mayo have yet to hit full stride.
    In the game v Cork it seemed that they were doing just enough to win.
    They seemed to play like they always knew they would win and upped their game accordingly as the second half progressed.

The way I saw it was that they far from emptied the tank v Cork.

Im just worried about the first three balls that come into JOD if Mayo dont deal with him he will goal. A bad start for Mayo and they are goosed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

They seemed to play like they always knew they would win and upped their game accordingly as the second half progressed.

Same could be said of Kerry, they were never going to lose that game against Galway, and will be happy enough that their performance on the day has dampened expectations. They did enough to win and no more. Of course, maybe they just played badly and the hammering they gave cork was down to a truly abysmal cork performance. We'll know after the weekend I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Mayo played as well as they have done over the last three years in opening 10/15 mins of the second half against Cork and normallly that would have been enough to win pulling up however the less the water tight defence meant Mayo hung on at the end.

Plenty are going with the theory that Mayo are pacing themselves and looking to peak at the right time. Kerry 2009 are probably last side to do that. TBH I didn't see signs in the last three games that Mayo are about to repeat the trick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Mayo should win the match.Overall they have the stronger team and if the Kerry defence can't stop Tom Flynn running from the half way line straight through the centre of their defence they're going to have some job stopping Aidan O'Shea.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement