Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland SFC SF Mayo v Kerry 24/08 3.30pm RTE 2 HD, Sky Sports 3 HD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

stop aidan o shea playing and kerry will win. he is the guy that makes mayo tick imo and a monster of a footballer. the one poor game he has had this year mayo played poorly. if kerry are leading by 3 points going into the final minutes i can't see them letting it slip like we did.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Volvic12

rossie1977 wrote: »
    stop aidan o shea playing and kerry will win. he is the guy that makes mayo tick imo and a monster of a footballer. the one poor game he has had this year mayo played poorly. if kerry are leading by 3 points going into the final minutes i can't see them letting it slip like we did.

I agree that Aidan O'Shea is the vital to this Mayo team. I don't know if Kerry have anyone to stop him. It's their system that will have to stop him. Killian Young will probably pick him up and physically he is way off O'Shea. Obviously he will get support from Declan O Sullivan dropping deep etc. O'Mahoney or Crowley are realistically the only ones that would have the strength to stop him 1v1 and even that is at a push.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 niamhy94

will this game live upto predictions in senior and minor in both predictions and be worth the money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭harpsman

To me Kerry have looked more impressive than Mayo in the games against Cork and Galway.

I think their forward line are much more dangerous and more likely to get goals than Mayos.

Mayos full back line is definately a bit dodgy, particularly if they try to defend one to one. If the half back line and Higgins hang back to cover then that negates half their attacking threat.

I think Mayo have an advantage in midfield and in physicality, and their ability to pressure opponents and create turnovers up the field is their best attacking weapon.

However I think Kerry will be forewarned and will have worked on moving the ball quickly and away from contact.

If they do this and win 40% in midfield Id expect them to win, maybe with a bit to spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

Like others, I think Mayo have played in fits and starts this year but they seemed to be able to do enough to beat teams when they had to. But I don't think this is any great masterplan to peak later in the year, I think it's just a consequence of they being there or there about for the last 3-4 years and I think they are on the way down slowly. They were unlucky not to have one an All Ireland with the emergence initially of a very focused Donegal team and then Dublin came along with their best panel for years. Wasn't there a period at one stage where whoever beat Mayo won the All ireland?

For Kerry, they clearly targeted the Cork game from a good way out and Fitzmaurice has them well drilled and playing to their strengths. But JOD is papering over a lot of cracks on the scoring front and their defence has gone AWOL a few times without notice. But in a short time they will be serious contenders for a few years.

Overall Mayo currently have the better team and have more game changers then Kerry so they should win by 3-4 points. But you can never discount what the sight of the green and gold can sometimes tend to do to a Mayo man in Croke Park in the autumn! Either way it should be a good game of football - And the better of the two semis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 nmjc

I see two lopsided semi finals, Donegal and Kerry to get well beaten

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

nmjc wrote: »
    I see two lopsided semi finals, Donegal and Kerry to get well beaten

Oh dear.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Random thought - Is there a change of jerseys required ?, will Mayo get to face the green and gold or the Kerry blue

• Registered Users Posts: 16,802 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Random thought - Is there a change of jerseys required ?, will Mayo get to face the green and gold or the Kerry blue

Kerry blue, mayo red like 2011 semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Could be wrong but I think Kerry have lost only once ever in championship when wearing the blue jerseys. 1972 replayed final to Offaly. Means nothing really of course. Always liked the blue jeerseys. The adidas one from 1998/99 is one of the nicest GAA jerseys ever worn IMO..can't find a photo of it.

• Advertisement

Could be wrong but I think Kerry have lost only once ever in championship when wearing the blue jerseys. 1972 replayed final to Offaly. Means nothing really of course. Always liked the blue jeerseys. The adidas one from 1998/99 is one of the nicest GAA jerseys ever worn IMO..can't find a photo of it.
    Think again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kdsYsHLm8o

harpsman wrote: »

:rolleyes: What kind of a clown am I?!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

plus with the minor match up I guess there won't be many from outside the two counties

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

The jerseys worn in the GAA when clashing always seem a bit random. In the 04 and 06 finals Mayo wore red and Kerry the normal green and gold. Red and Blue then two years ago. Not sure if there's a need for both teams to switch. Then you have the ridiculous scenario where the likes of Dublin and Laois meet most years and both wear blue. They should set some structure on it

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    The jerseys worn in the GAA when clashing always seem a bit random. In the 04 and 06 finals Mayo wore red and Kerry the normal green and gold. Red and Blue then two years ago. Not sure if there's a need for both teams to switch. Then you have the ridiculous scenario where the likes of Dublin and Laois meet most years and both wear blue. They should set some structure on it

Mayo wore Red/Green for 2004 final but neither team changed for the 2006 final I recall..which kind of falls into your bracket of silliness really.
    Just so you know, the Kerry blue jersey is not random. Traditionally when a team had to change, they wore their provincial jerseys, royal blue being the Munster colours, this is what Kerry have usually worn when required..apart from the horrific white effort worn against Meath in 2001 and the classic 1981 halved jersey. In 1982, there was some kind of mix up and Kerry ended up wearing these naff limey green coloured green jerseys..which obviously went well.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Mayo wore Red/Green for 2004 final but neither team changed for the 2006 final I recall..which kind of falls into your bracket of silliness really.
    Just so you know, the Kerry blue jersey is not random. Traditionally when a team had to change, they wore their provincial jerseys, royal blue being the Munster colours, this is what Kerry have usually worn when required..apart from the horrific white effort worn against Meath in 2001 and the classic 1981 halved jersey. In 1982, there was some kind of mix up and Kerry ended up wearing these naff limey green coloured green jerseys..which obviously went well.:rolleyes:

That halved jersey is the dog's bollox. One of my mates got one off some now defunct retro GAA website, I wonder if there's anywhere I might pick one up.

keane2097 wrote: »
    That halved jersey is the dog's bollox. One of my mates got one off some now defunct retro GAA website, I wonder if there's anywhere I might pick one up.

I agree, it's class. I could be wrong but I'm fairly sure the Kerry GAA store in Killarney had them at one point last year.

That retrogaa site also did a retro tracksuit top, which was mint, with the old crest on it.

I agree, it's class. I could be wrong but I'm fairly sure the Kerry GAA store in Killarney had them at one point last year.

That retrogaa site also did a retro tracksuit top, which was mint, with the old crest on it.

If you happen upon one in that shop or elsewhere at some stage you might pick it up for me and I'll catch you when next you're up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,802 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Debenhams in Tralee used to have them when they came out first but unlikely they are still there. Any in John Dowlings?;)

BPKS wrote: »
    Debenhams in Tralee used to have them when they came out first but unlikely they are still there. Any in John Dowlings?;)

I wouldn't have the finances to afford anything in Dowlings!

• Advertisement

If you happen upon one in that shop or elsewhere at some stage you might pick it up for me and I'll catch you when next you're up.

I won't be there myself but I might see if someone could drop in there before Sunday. I'll let you know.

I won't be there myself but I might see if someone could drop in there before Sunday. I'll let you know.

Sound!

Sound!

Extra small yeah? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,109 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Really looking forward to the team announcements tonight and tomorrow.

Something to talk about other than fashion :)

Extra small yeah? :pac:

Let's say medium to be safe sure!

Really looking forward to the team announcements tonight and tomorrow.

Something to talk about other than fashion :)

The Galvin effect on Kerry football has been widespread alright!

Couple of interesting team selections alright..if my sources are to be believed, both managers might be holding a couple of players in reserve.

:rolleyes: What kind of a clown am I?!

Was just lookin for an excuse to watch that again.

Iirc in 04 mayo wore red, in 06 bth wore normal colours-which i thought bit silly. Cant remember 05

Edit just reading other post now. Also liked the kerry 81 jersey. Mind u anything would be better than the modrrn shiny muck.

Think donegals Jersey this yr is nice

harpsman wrote: »
    Was just lookin for an excuse to watch that again.

Iirc in 04 mayo wore red, in 06 bth wore normal colours-which i thought bit silly. Cant remember 05

2005 1/4 final both wore normal colours. Utterly ridiculous really. At least one side should have to change.
    In 1997, neither changed but Kerry got a massive gold band in the middle of the jerseys to distinguish.
    Better stop talking about fashion or Fr. Tod will get cranky again..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Out of interest when is the last time Mayo won a championship game in Croke park wearing red jerseys?

• Advertisement

Out of interest when is the last time Mayo won a championship game in Croke park wearing red jerseys?

2004 semi v Fermanagh?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement