Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rescued 2 week old kitten

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

. Roadhouseblues. Please don't put so many "smilies" in your post. I think they are watching me.

I tried to tell that to my therapist, and she wouldn't believe me. Then one night I got a call from her and she told me that her cat had opposable thumbs!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 CongoCallaghan

Time to change your therapist, RoadhouseBlues. Remember 1984!!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

Love this thread but why would you neuter Finbar, hes gorgeous and mischievous and an indoor cat so its not like he'd get around, my cat was fine, other then his partner Mr Tibs (teddy bear) he never bothered anyone and more Finbar's would be lovely when hes older. With females it makes sense (the marking) with them but none of my friends with male indoors cats haven't had issues also as long as they aren't humping guests incessantly I'm not in favor of it. Theres also this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGFev2BmnhE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

nicki11 wrote: »
    Love this thread but why would you neuter Finbar, hes gorgeous and mischievous and an indoor cat so its not like he'd get around, my cat was fine, other then his partner Mr Tibs (teddy bear) he never bothered anyone and more Finbar's would be lovely when hes older. With females it makes sense (the marking) with them but none of my friends with male indoors cats haven't had issues also as long as they aren't humping guests incessantly I'm not in favor of it. Theres also this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGFev2BmnhE

There are many good reasons to have a cat neutered and anyone who has a pet has a moral obligation to get it done to prevent unwanted litters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

Hes an indoor cat for now.I firmly believe its unfair to keep any animal locked up no matter how much comfort they have or how much you love/paid for them.I totally understand why people are fearful of leaving them out but I dont think its for me to decide his life because I'm afraid certain scenarios might happen.Its his life to live so as soon as he thinks hes ready go exploring the world for himself Ill be more then happy to open the door for him.

As for the neutering.I don't believe in it, in the same way as keeping him in doors but as Pumpkin said ,the very day I decided to keep him I also took on all the obligations to care for him in every way possible including keeping him away from the mess of ferals that he came from due to uncontrolled breading and neutering is the best way.Ill leave it as long as I can but eventually the day is going to come along. :(
    Ill do all I can to help him experience life being a cat.

Now on to a new problem.Tusk just wont use the litter trays at all any more .Hell go beside them,in the same room,floor,couch you name it.When we got him first this wasn't a problem.We have changed his brand of litter in the last week could that be the cause of it ?
    The trays are cleaned 2-3 times a day.He has no problem weeing in them.The dogs arent eating from them any more.I cant figure it out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

About the litter trays, where are they located? Cats tend to prefer somewhere quiet and private to toilet. The type of litter can play a big part as some cats may not like the feel of a kind of litter or the smell of it. We use the Cats Best Oko plus litter and ours are happy with it. It's cheap and because it's so absorbent it last for ages, certainly a lot longer than most other brands.

To be honest, I've never really understood why so many people are against neutering/spaying. Cats are much more settled after it, it massively reduces spraying and fighting. It stops the spread of feline aids and many other nasty feline illnesses and generally makes for a happier cat. I don't think there's any rescue or tnr group in Ireland that isn't completely swamped with unwanted kittens/cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

To be honest, I've never really understood why so many people are against neutering/spaying. Cats are much more settled after it, it massively reduces spraying and fighting. It stops the spread of feline aids and many other nasty feline illnesses and generally makes for a happier cat. I don't think there's any rescue or tnr group in Ireland that isn't completely swamped with unwanted kittens/cats.

My dad was against neutering when we had our first cat. Over the course of the first year of his life, the cat was always getting into fights and getting infections from the feral cats that were attacking him. He'd come home bleeding sometimes. Eventually he got pneumonia and the vet said that he would likely not survive the night. Cat survived, dad realised how much of an idiot he'd been and finally neutered our cat. Never had any problems since, with that cat or the other cats we've had.

I honestly don't understand why people are against neutering. I truly hope damagegt neuters the kitties, for their health and wellbeing.

As for the litter trays, I'd say he doesn't like the new brand of litter! Maybe you could try reverting to the old brand and see if he's still ok with it. :) That way you can rule out other reasons. Some cats don't like sharing litter trays, or don't like where they are placed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

damagegt wrote: »
    Now on to a new problem.Tusk just wont use the litter trays at all any more .Hell go beside them,in the same room,floor,couch you name it.When we got him first this wasn't a problem.We have changed his brand of litter in the last week could that be the cause of it ?
    The trays are cleaned 2-3 times a day.He has no problem weeing in them.The dogs arent eating from them any more.I cant figure it out.
    Well he clearly wants to go as he goes there but goes around the toilet instead; this means he got some issue and one common cause is the brand. Try to go back to the old brand and see what happens; for example depending on type it may hurt his paws (very common with silicon type for example) or smell wrong (parfumed is a big no go for toilet litter).

The only reason I don't agree with it is thats in completely unnatural but I also know it has to be done and when its finbarrs time to head out into the world he'll be taking a trip to the vet first.

As for Tusk,he has his own tray in the ensuite thats only used by him.Most of the time he doesn't even make an attempt to go to the tray.For example he was just sitting beside me on the couch.I went to the kitchen and he woke up,pooped and went back to sleep beside it.Doesn't try bury or hide it in any way.

They don't sell the brand I was using at the start.I just bought some Cat's Best Öko Plus cat litter so Ill see how that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

So Tusk uses the litter tray only for urinating? Does he bury his urine? If he does then I'd suggest putting extra litter in the tray -the level may not be deep enough for him to bury faeces to his satisfaction, or a larger tray or separate tray for faeces.
    If he doesn't bury his urine in the litter tray then maybe it's the type of litter you're using.
    I would probably try different litter first as the cheaper option.

Also he perhaps smells where he has defecated outside of the tray, and perhaps cleaning the area hasn't got rid of the smell.

Is (Tusk's!) ensuite far away? Is his stool solid or very hard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Demonique

Hope you enjoy the smell of cat piss in your home then

Frito wrote: »
    So Tusk uses the litter tray only for urinating? Does he bury his urine? If he does then I'd suggest putting extra litter in the tray -the level may not be deep enough for him to bury faeces to his satisfaction, or a larger tray or separate tray for faeces.
    If he doesn't bury his urine in the litter tray then maybe it's the type of litter you're using.
    I would probably try different litter first as the cheaper option.

Also he perhaps smells where he has defecated outside of the tray, and perhaps cleaning the area hasn't got rid of the smell.

Is (Tusk's!) ensuite far away? Is his stool solid or very hard?
    The ensuite is on the same floor as him,he doesn't come down stairs much.The tray is 3/4 full of litter and yes he urinates in it .Iv tried a second tray for him but he just wont use it.All messes are cleaned and disinfected with a natural disinfectant as soon as I find them.Hopefully the litter change will sort it out

Demonique wrote: »
    Hope you enjoy the smell of cat piss in your home then

Only had a problem with spraying with a stray and that was anxiety based, as he'd also hide, eventually he got used to us and trusted us and stopped doing it and a cat tree can help if they are hostile as it lets them look around and he was much happier.
    The only reason I don't agree with it is thats in completely unnatural but I also know it has to be done and when its finbarrs time to head out into the world he'll be taking a trip to the vet first.

As for Tusk,he has his own tray in the en-suite that's only used by him.Most of the time he doesn't even make an attempt to go to the tray.For example he was just sitting beside me on the couch.I went to the kitchen and he woke up,pooped and went back to sleep beside it. Doesn't try bury or hide it in any way.

They don't sell the brand I was using at the start.I just bought some Cat's Best Öko Plus cat litter so Ill see how that goes.

I understand, how you feel I just don't like neutering when its not necessary because of the effect on the animal isn't always positive. When I went to college my parents neutered my dog and she was depressed for ages and still is sometimes (they just did it because of the mess during heat). I agree that strays should be neutered, to stop the spread of disease and uncontrollable populations, I'm personally not in favor of it with my own pets, though my parents live in the country so there isn't many other pets around for it to be an issue.

Thats just my experience though, ultimately your responsible for them and its your decision, all I can do is give advice and Finbar will still be cute either way

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I understand, how you feel I just don't like neutering when its not necessary because of the effect on the animal isn't always positive. When I went to college my parents neutered my dog and she was depressed for ages and still is sometimes (they just did it because of the mess during heat). I agree that strays should be neutered, to stop the spread of disease and uncontrollable populations, I'm personally not in favor of it with my own pets, though my parents live in the country so there isn't many other pets around for it to be an issue.

Thats just my experience though, ultimately your responsible for them and its your decision, all I can do is give advice and Finbar will still be cute either way
    Except you know the cats themselves who has no issue with incest etc. and the number of offspring they will produce (as an idea a single pair can over 7 years produce 370.000 cats with their offspring), or the increased chance for cancer, or the spraying, or the howling. But you know, except for minor issues like that there's no reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

The ensuite is on the same floor as him,he doesn't come down stairs much.The tray is 3/4 full of litter and yes he urinates in it .Iv tried a second tray for him but he just wont use it.All messes are cleaned and disinfected with a natural disinfectant as soon as I find them.Hopefully the litter change will sort it out

Are you disinfecting with a pet odour neutraliser?
    Good luck with the litter change, keep us posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

When I went to college my parents neutered my dog and she was depressed for ages

I would hazard a guess that you dog's change in mood was as much due to change in circumstances and you being gone than neutering. My dog stopped eating for days when I left home first. It's a big change for them.

Sorry for the off topic

I would hazard a guess that you dog's change in mood was as much due to change in circumstances and you being gone than neutering. My dog stopped eating for days when I left home first. It's a big change for them.

Sorry for the off topic
    Dont worry about it,all sorts have been discussed in this thread :)
    Ill get some new photos up for you all this evening.
    About Tusk.Iv been at home the last few days and Iv been religious with him,picking him up and bringing him to the tray and hes doing much better.I think he just got lazy.
    We'll see if the litter change helps abit more.
    The disinfectant, its a low percentage teatree oil and water mix.It doesn't put them off and gets the job done.

Nody wrote: »
    Except you know the cats themselves who has no issue with incest etc. and the number of offspring they will produce (as an idea a single pair can over 7 years produce 370.000 cats with their offspring), or the increased chance for cancer, or the spraying, or the howling. But you know, except for minor issues like that there's no reason...

I acknowledged health reasons, Tusk and Finbar are both male so can't produce offspring together and neither could my two male cats, it reduces some risks of cancer and increases others. I never said anyone had to follow my experience I was just sharing my experience, its your pet and your decision. If your never going to breed your pet and it has behavioural or health issues and spaying/neutering will help then it makes sense to do so but it isn't a cure all solution to everything, pets can still have issues after the surgery and the surgery is a surgery and carries the usual risks so if talking to other people helps you make a decision or affirms your decision why is it wrong for me to offer an opinion.

Sorry for the off topic

Not really shes usually happier when I'm home sure enough but other then sitting next to me she seemed very depressed even though it had been a couple of weeks since the operation and she didn't want to play or go for a long walk. I'd also been at college for two years before my parents neutered her so it wasn't that.

I acknowledged health reasons, Tusk and Finbar are both male so can't produce offspring together and neither could my two male cats, it reduces some risks of cancer and increases others.

An unneutered male could still escape from its home and father kittens though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭knarkypants

Get him neutered. You don't want to end up like this...:pac:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152325993971006&fref=nf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Oh god ......how would you live like that. How would you expect pets to live like that.

Get him neutered. You don't want to end up like this...:pac:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152325993971006&fref=nf

Imagine the smell

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Anyone else having withdrawal symptoms?

Damagegt, we* need our** fix! When you get a chance, new photos/updates, please! :)

*Read 'I'
    ** Read 'my'

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

New Home wrote: »
    Anyone else having withdrawal symptoms?

Damagegt, we* need our** fix! When you get a chance, new photos/updates, please! :)

*Read 'I'
    ** Read 'my'

seconded!

thought it was only me :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

Stinjy wrote: »
    seconded!

thought it was only me :P

I have decided that I am addicted to moggies. I am not going to apologise anymore because I don't think I have a problem. For all the people who think that, cats will rise up against us.......that's fine with me. I have no problem with that. I do however, have a problem with people who think that cats are unaware. Believe this at your peril..............May the claw be with you all.........

Hello everyone.

I must apologise in replying lately.I have some bitter sweet news :confused:.
    Im after landing the job of a life time and will be away after xmas for months at a time so I'm afraid Finnbar and Tusk are going to be full time house mates and me a prodigal father :(.Ill try keep you all up today as best I can through my sister.

Anyway,both guys are doing great.The change of litter worked a treat and the dogs have stopped eating it which is a bonus :)
    Finnbar is growing fast,it seems to be in weird spurts,front legs,back legs.His tail seems overly long at the moment and gets caught in all sorts.

Tusk is still the silent type but defiantly after improving.He gives Finn a run for his money now but their best of buds.

They terrorize the dogs and spend half their time up the curtains.Iv been bringing them outside more and more .Their still a bit unsure about the grass but Finn becoming a great little explorer.

329595.JPG
    329596.JPG
    329597.JPG
    329598.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

They are gorgeous kitties and getting so big. You'll miss them!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Thanks for the photos and the update, Damagegt, the kitties are stunning, and I agree with Blingy, you will miss them terribly.
    That said, congratulations on the job! It's tough enough to find any job at all these days, let alone the job of a lifetime, so fair play. :)

New Home wrote: »
    Thanks for the photos and the update, Damagegt, the kitties are stunning, and I agree with Blingy, you will miss them terribly.
    That said, congratulations on the job! It's tough enough to find any job at all these days, let alone the job of a lifetime, so fair play. :)
    I know,Iv already got my pictures of them and the pack sorted.

Their getting so strong now.I can see their want to get outside.
    Finn does this crazy sounding chattering when he sees birds.I can see the murderous intent in this eyes.

How can I best avoid him killing birds.A bell ? I was told there no good.

• Advertisement

One of mine used to do that chattering sound too, he sounded like he was already tasting feathers :)

A bell might not solve the problem entirely, but it will help a bit - at least the birds will hear them coming, so the cats won't be able to sneak up on them as much, just make sure you get them one of those safety collars so they won't get caught into anything dangerous. I don't know if there's anything more effective, tbh, I'd be interested in finding out myself.

Will you be leaving your hoodie aka Finnbar's bed to your sister, now? ;):D

Advertisement