Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rescued 2 week old kitten

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

damagegt wrote: »
    I know,Iv already got my pictures of them and the pack sorted.

Their getting so strong now.I can see their want to get outside.
    Finn does this crazy sounding chattering when he sees birds.I can see the murderous intent in this eyes.

How can I best avoid him killing birds.A bell ? I was told there no good.

congrats on the job! and also those pics are just the cutest!!!

mine used to do the chattering but i think in the 12 years we had him he may have caught 1 bird.... the magpies used to tease him! The birds are pretty smart like :)

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

I'd like to add my congratulations too, it's such a thrill to get the job of your dreams and I hope everything goes really well for you. Yes, you'll miss them like crazy but you will have the homecomings to look forward to, at least you're not having to leave brokenhearted for good and looking to find homes for your best pals. My heart breaks for every post I read like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

Well done, they are as gorgous as ever and its weird looking back at the old posts and pictures and all the stuff you've gone through together and hes a strong and not so little -anymore- kitten. Congratulations on the job and all the progress you've made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

Thanks all.Still really hasn't sunk in yet.
    Soooo......Finbarrs taking to eating all the plants !!!I now half bald plants everywhere.Any ideas now to stop him or is that even possible ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

I used to have a cat that did that. We never did find something to stop him, so we sort of embraced it and began sharing salad leaves with him. :P
    We essentially provided him with harmless house plants that he could chew on if he wanted. It wasn't pretty, but at least he was happy and didn't have access to poisonous plants. Plus it was uber cute to see him trying to pull leaves off when his teeth were very obviously not made for that!

Do be careful with what plants are around the house though. There's a good few that are poisonous to cats. Quick google gave me this list.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Sometimes they eat grass to cleanse/purge their system. You could let them eat some of the grass from your garden -they like to choose their own blades of grass, so if you think you can pick some for them and get away with it, forget it, you'd be simply looked at with disdain; otherwise you could get some cat grass -not catnip aka catmint aka nepeta, that works like a drug to some of them. Cat grass is simply germinated oat seeds; I bought a bag of expensive 'cat grass' for mine ages ago, and when I got home I read the bag and it said 'avena sativa', or plain old oats to you and me... So, if you know anyone who could give you a handful of oat seeds you'd be sorted, just sow them in a little pot and you'll have your crop in no time at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I know,Iv already got my pictures of them and the pack sorted.

Their getting so strong now.I can see their want to get outside.
    Finn does this crazy sounding chattering when he sees birds.I can see the murderous intent in this eyes.

How can I best avoid him killing birds.A bell ? I was told there no good.

I think most cats are too clumsy to actually catch any birds. We have 4 cats and the only one that ever kills anything is the one that was a feral kitten who had to kill his own food to survive. The chattering is very cute. I never bothered with a bell, I think they just annoy the cat.

He has to be the most vocal Iv ever met .If hes not chattering hes murmuring,eating plants,climbing into the toilet,knocks everything off any shelf he can get near.

My niece now calls him Finbarr knuckle head :)

I just give me salad leaves no ,he seems to enjoy them

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

He'll probably start 'talking' to you over the phone or on Skype if you call him when you're away. And no, I'm not messing and I'm not a weirdo... just you wait... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

New Home wrote: »
    He'll probably start 'talking' to you over the phone or on Skype if you call him when you're away. And no, I'm not messing and I'm not a weirdo... just you wait... :D

That's brilliant. Can you imagine it:D. I've said before that I love moggies so ye all know by now:). But I just wanted to share a memory from my youth. We had wallpaper in our hallway at home years ago, and one of the cats we had used to come in the front door. (He was posh):). But a feckin' lunatic:). Anyway. There was a teeny weeny bit of wallpaper hanging off the top of the wall. And the bold moggy used to come in the door, sit and stare at the piece of wallpaper, and he would run up the wall and grab it:D:D:D. He ended up pulling half the strip down, and we ended up taking down all the wallpaper in the hallway and painting instead:D:D:D. Sorry for interrupting, but that always makes me laugh when I think of it. What other animal would force you to redecorate:D:D:D

• Advertisement

"Like, do you humans expect me to live in these conditions? As if. Wallpaper is sooooo last season. I don't do wallpaper. Fix it meow, or I'll fix it for you. Now, where's my dinner?"

Yep, I can imagine... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

New Home wrote: »
    "Like, do you humans expect me to live in these conditions? As if. Wallpaper is sooooo last season. I don't do wallpaper. Fix it meow, or I'll fix it for you. Now, where's my dinner?"

Yep, I can imagine... :D

That's exactly how they are:D. The same moggy was real smart. When it was time for him to go outside, my father used to say "out out". The fecker used to lie down on the ground, and my father used to push him gently with his foot. I wish I had a video of this. He used to roll over the entire floor:D and we used to have to roll him out the back door:D:D:D. I live for them. The are brilliant:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭TrishSimon

I rang the vet and he wasnt much help,had more of a "dont get your hopes up" attitude.I did get the food he recommended.I suppose there is'nt much more I can do.:(
    photo_zps636eed1c.jpg

Okay so here are some tips for hand rearing the kitten if it has gotten to two weeks old and survived that is good most new born kitten will pass away within 2 weeks of birth if not strong.
    Royal Canin kitten milk is okay but it tends to leave a residue on bottles there is one you can get from the vet all of them stock it and this is generally a better one. The Royal Canin milk is meant to last the kitten longer.
    5 ml is a good amount for a 2 week old kitten they should be fed every 2 hours after which you should burp them by holding them upright and with their belly on your shoulder very gentle tap/rub the top of the back.

You will also need to help them go to the toilet by stimulating the bum area you can do this by using luke warm water with cotton wool and do gentle circular motions to help the kitten go to the toilet.

To keep it warm put a hot water bottle underneath its blanket and maybe a small fluffy teddy to make it feel like it has other siblings in with it.
    By the looks of the picture its about 3 weeks old because it has its eyes open and its ears are starting to open.

It will start eating solid food at about 6-7 weeks old and the time in between feeding should start to stretch out to 4 hours but if I was you I would still check on it every two hours.
    If it seems like it is getting dehydrated you can use sugar and water or else diorlite.

Another option for you would be to put out an appeal to some local rescues for a feeding mother and you possibly could put this kitten in with her litter and she will feed it.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

TrishSimon wrote: »
    Okay so here are some tips for hand rearing the kitten if it has gotten to two weeks old and survived that is good most new born kitten will pass away within 2 weeks of birth if not strong.
    Royal Canin kitten milk is okay but it tends to leave a residue on bottles there is one you can get from the vet all of them stock it and this is generally a better one. The Royal Canin milk is meant to last the kitten longer.
    5 ml is a good amount for a 2 week old kitten they should be fed every 2 hours after which you should burp them by holding them upright and with their belly on your shoulder very gentle tap/rub the top of the back.

You will also need to help them go to the toilet by stimulating the bum area you can do this by using luke warm water with cotton wool and do gentle circular motions to help the kitten go to the toilet.

To keep it warm put a hot water bottle underneath its blanket and maybe a small fluffy teddy to make it feel like it has other siblings in with it.
    By the looks of the picture its about 3 weeks old because it has its eyes open and its ears are starting to open.

It will start eating solid food at about 6-7 weeks old and the time in between feeding should start to stretch out to 4 hours but if I was you I would still check on it every two hours.
    If it seems like it is getting dehydrated you can use sugar and water or else diorlite.

Another option for you would be to put out an appeal to some local rescues for a feeding mother and you possibly could put this kitten in with her litter and she will feed it.

Best of luck

The post you're replying to is almost 4 months old and there's 74 pages of updates on the cat! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Awwwww look at how tiny he used to be!!!!! ^_^

tk123 wrote: »
    The post you're replying to is almost 4 months old and there's 74 pages of updates on the cat! :confused:

lol...okay so I guess he's all grown now sorry !!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

lol...okay so I guess he's all grown now sorry !!

He's an internet sensation now lol :pac::pac:

Best of luck
    I tried giving him a bottle he just kinda looked at me and attacked my hands before running up the curtains for a bit so I left it off for now.

The toilet thing didn't go well ! I cornered him in the room and grabbed him out of the tray and started rubbing within a inch of his life ! pretty much the same as the bottle but with some strange looks and sounds.....he seemed very confused.Maybe I wasnt doing it right ???

He Loved the hot water bottle so thats something.I think Ill leave leave him at it.he seems to have a handle on it now ;)

I tried giving him a bottle he just kinda looked at me and attacked my hands before running up the curtains for a bit so I left it off for now.

The toilet thing didn't go well ! I cornered him in the room and grabbed him out of the tray and started rubbing within a inch of his life ! pretty much the same as the bottle but with some strange looks and sounds.....he seemed very confused.Maybe I wasnt doing it right ???

He Loved the hot water bottle so thats something.I think Ill leave leave him at it.he seems to have a handle on it now ;)

If he is using a tray with litter in it he is okay for going the toilet you dont have to help him do that it just comes natural at a certain age.

If feeding him wrap him in a fleece blanket like a cocoon that way the paws are not able to get out it also keep them at a certain temperature which they need to be to feed.
    How old is the kitten so you have any up to date pics it sounds older

If he is using a tray with litter in it he is okay for going the toilet you dont have to help him do that it just comes natural at a certain age.

If feeding him wrap him in a fleece blanket like a cocoon that way the paws are not able to get out it also keep them at a certain temperature which they need to be to feed.
    How old is the kitten so you have any up to date pics it sounds older

...........at least read the thread :confused:

• Advertisement

I guess they're reading in instalments... or are watching the repeats on telly. :D

Also, they probably didn't notice the --> ;)...

on that note, how are the little rascals?

Their doing really well.Tusk has really come out of his shell in the last few days.He'll make his own way on to your lap .Hes running around and playing alot more.

As for Finnbar Knuckle-head its become a task trying to keep him in doors.Hes raring to go !

Their doing really well.Tusk has really come out of his shell in the last few days.He'll make his own way on to your lap .Hes running around and playing alot more.

As for Finnbar Knuckle-head its become a task trying to keep him in doors.Hes raring to go !

That's fantastic D... Happy to hear :)

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

We got our cat when he was about six months, took him a while to " grow into his tail" so to speak, and his paws were like shovels! He's three now and all in proportion.
    He is a demon for catching things. I ended up putting two bells on his collar cos he learned to prowl without disturbing his bell. He can even jump without disturbing it. Now he's learned to do it with two bells!
    If you (or rather, your sister -congrats on the job) can, try to restrict his time outdoors. Birds are more active around dawn and dusk, nighttime is when rodents are active. Good luck with this, it's difficult to manage this behaviour in cats who express a strong hunting instinct without keeping them indoors completely.

It'll be Tusk and Finbarrs first Christmas:) You'll have to let us know how they react to the tree. Our 2 year old cat arrived last Summer and when he first saw the Christmas tree last year he ran and hid, so it must have been the first one he'd ever been close to.:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

It'll be Tusk and Finbarrs first Christmas:) You'll have to let us know how they react to the tree. Our 2 year old cat arrived last Summer and when he first saw the Christmas tree last year he ran and hid, so it must have been the first one he'd ever been close to.:D
    We don't do Christmas trees personally but we were over at a friend who does and she had three cats climbing around it in it who were overjoyed with their new toy :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I'm going to get a tree this week, the last two years we've had kittens in the tree, this year we will again. I won't be putting any glass baubles on this year either!
    Pressies under the tree make for great hide and seek though.

Nody wrote: »
    We don't do Christmas trees personally but we were over at a friend who does and she had three cats climbing around it in it who were overjoyed with their new toy :P

Our 4 don't really do anything but snooze under it. Poppy's gotten very territorial about it and won't let the boys under it if she's under it. Thankfully there's been no climbing it or swinging out of it, then again it's an artificial tree so maybe it has less appeal. We always used to get a real tree but the first Christmas that Felix was with us he was obsessed with the real tree and we thought he was just excited about it, as he kept trying to get into the middle of it. We thought that right up until the biggest weirdest insect either of us had ever seen flew out of the tree. Obviously he could hear it in the tree, never again will we get a real tree.:D

• Advertisement

mymo wrote: »
    I'm going to get a tree this week, the last two years we've had kittens in the tree, this year we will again. I won't be putting any glass baubles on this year either!
    Pressies under the tree make for great hide and seek though.

Last year with Molly our foster kitten was the first Christmas that we ever had a kitten around, she loved the tree. I was just thinking about her the other day and how it's her first Christmas in her forever home. The kids love her and she loves them, they'll probably be encouraging her up the tree.:D

Advertisement