Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Off Topic Thread (2015/16)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DerekOK

Perfect! cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Anyone else feel drained and tired all the time?

Need more water! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Consonata

Absolutely knackered. Mocks have me feeling just tired all the time, with that and the HPAT on Saturday, feeling quite stressed at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭koolis02

Consonata wrote: »
    Absolutely knackered. Mocks have me feeling just tired all the time, with that and the HPAT on Saturday, feeling quite stressed at the moment.

Good luck in the HPAT :o

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Leavingcert16

Hey just wondering what topics should I study for the higher level Irish oral besides the basic ones?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

We came back from the mid-term and the first class was English. We were straight away given another essay. It's like they enjoy inflicting pain. Then today I was asked to do one of the sraith pictiur, it was hell for me. I've just kind of accepted the fact that the rest of this year will involve little sleep, lots of nail biting and a sore wrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

Has anyone got the soloutions to Deb P1 Hl. Maths.
    Or could you tell me the answer you got for the first qs a and b.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭chocolate98

anyone else annoyed with their mock results?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭hubluh

anyone else annoyed with their mock results?

Same here. Im aiming for around 560 in June and I got around 480 in the mocks. Most of our corrections were awful, they were either marked incredibly hard or really easy. The English correction was literally a joke, everyone in my year got over a C1. It was like they gave us random numbers for each essay.

Im actually starting to doubt my ability and whether I can achieve over 500 by June time.

hubluh wrote: »
    Same here. Im aiming for around 560 in June and I got around 480 in the mocks. Most of our corrections were awful, they were either marked incredibly hard or really easy. The English correction was literally a joke, everyone in my year got over a C1. It was like they gave us random numbers for each essay.

Im actually starting my ability and whether I can achieve over 500 by June time.

thank god! our English corrections were a joke got 50D1 and no one in ours got over a c1 either and my teacher was actually expecting me to get a b at least... i wrote at least 8 pages on my english essay on paper 1 and got 45/100 :confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

thank god! our English corrections were a joke got 50D1 and no one in ours got over a c1 either and my teacher was actually expecting me to get a b at least... i wrote at least 8 pages on my english essay on paper 1 and got 45/100 :confused::confused::confused:

Yeah everyone in my year got under a C1 too! All of our papers had random numbers thrown down. Our teacher was so angry that we were afraid to ask him to recorrect it :p was your papers DEB?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭lumosteph

My English mock corrections were so ridiculous but only for paper 2! Almost sure they were two different correctors. I got the highest and that was only 100/200! Everyone else even the strongest in my class failed paper 2.

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    Yeah everyone in my year got under a C1 too! All of our papers had random numbers thrown down. Our teacher was so angry that we were afraid to ask him to recorrect it :p was your papers DEB?
    no think ours was examcraft theme of success
    we were afraid as well like because we didnt understand how we all dropped. like for class essays i have never gotten below a B1 so i was completely shocked by my paper to be honest :confused::confused:
    lumosteph wrote: »
    My English mock corrections were so ridiculous but only for paper 2! Almost sure they were two different correctors. I got the highest and that was only 100/200! Everyone else even the strongest in my class failed paper 2.

examcraft or DEB

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

hubluh wrote: »
    It was like they gave us random numbers for each essay.

I feel like that was the case for mine as well, I got a B3 and I'm aiming for an A2 at least. I've no idea where I lost some of my marks and my teacher is swamped with work at the moment so I don't want to ask her to look at it

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭lumosteph

examcraft or DEB

Examcraft

Honestly thought my comparative answer was one of the best I'd ever wrote and I was given 31/70... With no indication whatsoever of where I went wrong or how they marked it

lumosteph wrote: »
    Honestly thought my comparative answer was one of the best I'd ever wrote and I was given 31/70... With no indication whatsoever of where I went wrong or how they marked it!

I knew my lear answer off to a tee and lowest marked on the paper whereas i did nothing for comparative highest marked question i got :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭koolis02

I feel the same! I had DEB and for example - the unseen poem. It was lovely and I did the personal response question.Thought my answer was thing i'd ever written, like I usually never really understand the unseen poetry but this time I really got it. Only managed to score 14/20 with no indication of where I lost the marks! Very frustrating

I was actually surprised with my English mock in good way. I expected to fail knowing how bad my time management is and that I fail to expand my answers - ended up getting a B2 on the mock with the barcode. Was nervous like mad walking into the class room knowing the results will be given out.

What dragged me down was my essay (only got half the marks) and my King Lear answer (we didn't fully prepare for it yet so only scraped attempt marks).

Hoping to get a B3 on the real thing for points.

Overall the mocks went well bar Geography (stupid mistakes Costed me like three grades). Remember, we have about 89 days until English paper one! Tones of time to work on anything you're upset about. :)

EDIT: Maybe all schools should have mocks corrected by their own teachers? Since some of yous above me don't know where you went wrong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Ask your teacher for the marking scheme. Even if they sent them away to get corrected, they should have been sent a marking scheme. That may be where the problem is, not in the corrector's application of it.

I have corrected for both mock companies and I know they disallowed answers in their marking scheme that would have been allowed in an SEC scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

Don't worry about what ye got in the mocks- majority of the time they are corrected by a person who is inexperienced and is rushing so they generally aren't marked correctly (I got marked down in my English essay for writing a sad story for example :pac:).

I got around 450 in the mocks and 585 in the real thing so don't be hung up on it. I went up on everything bar OL Maths where I got a B3 in the mocks and a B3 in the real thing. Everything else increased with my most dramatic being English in the mocks- C2 to an A1 in the real thing- so don't worry about it.

Now enjoy your Easter and get studying for the orals!

• Advertisement

Those who do geography - how do you manage the information you learn?

Learning the facts and figures and what not is easy, but I'm finding myself jumbling it all up especially when topics have multiple questions that attack from different directions on the same topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

A bit off topic, but would anyone who does HL Irish be interested in speaking as Gaeilge on Skype?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Corkalex

Those who do geography - how do you manage the information you learn?

Learning the facts and figures and what not is easy, but I'm finding myself jumbling it all up especially when topics have multiple questions that attack from different directions on the same topic.

I got a B1 in my mock which im quite disappointed about. I got 20/80 from the short questions because i did not have time to finish them (i kept that section until last). But im pretty proud of my essays, the lowest mark being 70/80. I didn't get any sleep the night before the geography exam because there was so much to learn. I also had maths on that day too but I prioritised geography. I have a copybook and for each answer, Ive written down really short bullet points for each SRP. I use the copy to read over in the morning or something, just to refresh my memory. My classmates highlight chunks of sentences in their essays but I only highlight the important key words, and I find that efficient. But some people have their own different ways of learning you know.

With the orals looming fast, how do you guys learn your Sraith Pictures?

Can't believe we're expected to know all twenty, there's nothing wrong or hard with learning a Sraith Picture but it's nerve wrecking knowing you have another 19 to learn after you nailed your first.

Good thing orals is only 20% and the Sraith Picture probably takes up 8%? :o

Edit: I hope the examiner doesn't mind me talking slow, speaking irish isn't exactly my forte!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Consonata

Can't believe we're expected to know all twenty, there's nothing wrong or hard with learning a Sraith Picture but it's nerve wrecking knowing you have another 19 to learn after you nailed your first.

Edit: I hope the examiner doesn't mind me talking slow, speaking irish isn't exactly my forte!

It's 40% not 20%

Consonata wrote: »
    It's 40% not 20%

Woah, that sure tells you how much I'm prepared for these orals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

The Sraith Pictuirs are really over-rated I think :p Like you only need to have three sentences prepared on each picture and a few questions for the examiner too. I'd be a lot more inclined to put more effort into the poetry and general conversation. The poetry is easy marks if you do it right and the conversation is worth a lot more than the sraiths!

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

Don't forget that for the poetry you can have the pronunciations written out beside the poem! Makes it a heck of a lot easier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

Apparently our examiner isn't coming until Tuesday morning. Apparently this year is the most unorganised it's ever been for the orals, they normally know who is doing it by now and know exactly when everyone is going in but we still don't actually know what's happening at all. For all we know he/she could turn up tomorrow morning...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

Anyone else struggling to stay on task? I really feel behind and despite trying fairly hard I feel like I'm not doing enough, get discouraged, panic, do a lot for about 3 days, burn out, feel like I'm not doing enough and the cycle continues ad infinitum. I haven't even covered half of the maths syllabus yet! I feel like I'm gonna f*** up :(

Advertisement