Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Off Topic Thread (2015/16)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭chocolate98

Consonata wrote: »
    Mocks in 6 weeks for me too :(

at least you know when yours are we weren't told....

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Leavingcert16

Hey just wondering if anyone could help?
    Why is Cordelia the most hopeful part of King Lear? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 30 kitkat98

Hey I was just wondering has anyone heard if the leaving cert lecture days for English are any good?

Yeah they are supposed to give amazing notes, well that's what my teacher said! There is a course on in Carlow on March 12th. It's 60 euros but I'd say it's worth it..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Consonata wrote: »
    Anybody have any idea when the Music Practical exam is?

Between the 11th of April and 22nd of April 2016 inclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭chocolate98

Hey just wondering if anyone could help?
    Why is Cordelia the most hopeful part of King Lear? Thanks

she was the one good daughter the one that loved him unconditionally:)

• Advertisement

she was the one good daughter the one that loved him unconditionally:)

Thanks for your help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

This thread seems to get the most traffic so I'll ask here.

I did my LC last year and got 510 points. I'm hoping to do TSM English with either philosophy or film studies or drama studies, but the minimum points range for TSM English combined with anything is 525.
    Is it possible that I'll get in regardless or is it a sure thing I'll get rejected? Should I just apply for English Studies as a single honor course (505 pts)?

Hey just wondering has anyone heard the same? My English teacher told me that if you have a lot of spelling mistakes in the leaving cert the examiner automatically caps you at a C1. Is this true? Have your English teacher said this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Consonata

Hey just wondering has anyone heard the same? My English teacher told me that if you have a lot of spelling mistakes in the leaving cert the examiner automatically caps you at a C1. Is this true? Have your English teacher said this?
    If you have alot of spelling mistakes you might lose alot of marks in Mechanics but I don't see how that effects the other marks. Only your marks on purpose has that effect.

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking that but I wasn't sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭lumosteph

How's everyone's preparations for the Mocks going?

lumosteph wrote: »

Mocks for me aren't for awhile. Really worried about history but it wouldn't be an absolute disaster of it didn't go my way. Doing Music outside of school so that's availble as a safety net. English also is quite a hairy one also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

lumosteph wrote: »
    I feel like Business and Physics are good even though we haven't finished the physics course. Accounting and DCG I will need a few more weeks before I'm good to go on those. Irish a disaster but it's ordinary level. Maths is a nightmare but it's a nice nightmare. English I think timing will be my big issue and of course the choice in composing is key.

Sorry to call you out directly, Spurious, but you seem to know everything. Do you know
    about my TSM English situation above? Would I have to use DARE to get in with 510 points?
    Also, would everyone know I used to DARE to get in? I don't mean to come across as a snob but it'd annoy me if I got 510 points and everyone thought I got something really low and had to use DARE to bridge the gap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

TSMGUY wrote: »
    Sorry to call you out directly, Spurious, but you seem to know everything. Do you know
    about my TSM English situation above? Would I have to use DARE to get in with 510 points?
    Also, would everyone know I used to DARE to get in? I don't mean to come across as a snob but it'd annoy me if I got 510 points and everyone thought I got something really low and had to use DARE to bridge the gap.

DARE and HEAR are not about 'having to use them'. Nobody need know (if you don't want them to), whether you used or did not use any of the different schemes. DARE or HEAR won't let anyone that gets, say, 300 points, enter a 510 point course. You would have to be within a much smaller distance. Some of the HEAR or DARE people will have 510 points or close to it and may not have to use the small leg-up such schemes offer.

Using DARE or HEAR to get in is like getting to the airport on a bus, a bicycle, a taxi, or a private limo - at the end of the day, you're at the airport. Only very small-minded people think it makes any difference how you got there. No one of any consequence will care.

If you can get 510 and have been accepted for DARE, you'd have a very good chance, I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 kitkat98

Anyone else bricking it over the mocks? And how can I control my stress and anxiety? It's getting to the stage where I forego sleep because I'm so worried.

kitkat98 wrote: »
    Anyone else bricking it over the mocks? And how can I control my stress and anxiety? It's getting to the stage where I forego sleep because I'm so worried.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Only for English really.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭koolis02

I am, but mainly for Irish

spurious wrote: »
    DARE and HEAR are not about 'having to use them'. Nobody need know (if you don't want them to), whether you used or did not use any of the different schemes. DARE or HEAR won't let anyone that gets, say, 300 points, enter a 510 point course. You would have to be within a much smaller distance. Some of the HEAR or DARE people will have 510 points or close to it and may not have to use the small leg-up such schemes offer.

Using DARE or HEAR to get in is like getting to the airport on a bus, a bicycle, a taxi, or a private limo - at the end of the day, you're at the airport. Only very small-minded people think it makes any difference how you got there. No one of any consequence will care.

If you can get 510 and have been accepted for DARE, you'd have a very good chance, I would imagine.
    thanks for the response, Spurious. Decided to do the LC again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

DCG work all over my room trying to wrap up the project tonight to get bound tomorrow evening. All I can think of right now is taps.

Hey just wondering what essays are people learning for higher level Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 swallace3454

1916 rising celebration or not
    Terrorism
    Refugee crisis
    Cyberbullying
    Old people
    Homeless

Anyone else find maths incredibly time-consuming. Being a bit of a perfectionist I feel the compulsion to do every exercise in the book and it's taking ages. Is it possible to get an A1 in honours maths without spending huge amounts of time on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Mr Murphy

Does anybody know if it's possible to get a history project signed off as an external candidate if my old teacher will not sign off? Can I get it done privately maybe? Thanks!

Anyone else find maths incredibly time-consuming. Being a bit of a perfectionist I feel the compulsion to do every exercise in the book and it's taking ages. Is it possible to get an A1 in honours maths without spending huge amounts of time on it?

I picked up higher maths literally 2 days ago and the exam is in 5 months do you think it's possible to get a pass? Even a C3? Within 5 months

Mr Murphy wrote: »
    I picked up higher maths literally 2 days ago and the exam is in 5 months do you think it's possible to get a pass? Even a C3? Within 5 months
    Ah, we're in the same both. Just started studying two days ago as well. A C3 should be doable. The way I see it, there are like 27 chapters in the books. If I can get through 3 chapters a day, I can have the course covered in 9 days. Then it's just a matter of past papers and constant revision. Sometimes I'll get stuck and spend like an hour and a half on one problem though! It really throws off my plans.
    Might be worth getting a tutor to help you with those sticky points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

Ah, we're in the same both. Just started studying two days ago as well. A C3 should be doable. The way I see it, there are like 27 chapters in the books. If I can get through 3 chapters a day, I can have the course covered in 9 days. Then it's just a matter of past papers and constant revision. Sometimes I'll get stuck and spend like an hour and a half on one problem though! It really throws off my plans.

3 chapters a day ?!?!. What book do you use ?.

yeah you're right! 3 chapters a day wow! Fair play! Does anybody reccomend any specific chapters to master and do really well in questions that always come up? Also I seen notes in easons by John Brennan big huge book maybe 450 pages full of solutions to papers with notes a bit prices at nearly €27 but by all accounts the guy is supposed to be the best out there at teaching higher level maths? Can anybody reccomend thanks.

• Advertisement

Mr Murphy wrote:
    Does anybody know if it's possible to get a history project signed off as an external candidate if my old teacher will not sign off? Can I get it done privately maybe? Thanks!

The person who signs off on it has to attest that it is your own work and that they have supervised you doing it, so best get someone before you finish it.

Advertisement